MichaelTheys

what enchant is better for fire mage?

4 posts in this topic

dear,

wondering what enchant is better for weapon if you can't get jade one yet? is it elemental force of windsong? It's for a fire mage Posted Image

greetz

Edited by Damien

Elemental force is a 5ppm on damaging spells (both periodic and non-periodic as of 5.0.5). It hits for ~3k. So, this makes 15k damage per minute (250dps) theoretically. This has a pretty high proc rate, so let's say in practice ~200dps.

Windsong is 1ppm but also each proc is seperate (ie the haste/crit/mastery procs are not on the same 1ppm limitation, you effectively get 3ppm, but different buffs each time). In other words, for 2/5 (40%) of the fight you could theoretically have one of these buffs on. More likely to be ~25% of the fight per buff. (12 sec, 1 minute internal cooldown, not a huge proc rate, but you have a lot of DoTs/casts).

Windsong DPS boost is a bit harder to calculate but for a fire mage 1500 crit is godly - 2.5% crit. Haste gives you ~3.5% haste. Mastery gives you ~3%.

Now really only Crit and Haste of those are super good for a fire mage but mastery will give you a bit of power too. As for the DPS increase, well that depends on your other gear as to how much the crit/haste/mastery boost will benefit you. I personally feel that Windsong (especially at a higher gear set) will do a lot more for you than Elemental Force. I would love to see some actual simulations of formulaic proof either way, maybe a project for next week...

EDIT: Something else to keep in mind is that Windsong procs can overlap with trinkets/heroism/beserking/etc/etc/etc to multiply its effect. Elemental force is a flat damage proc. Everyone knows that stacking cooldowns results in the highest boost to effect, and the same is true for procs like windsong. If you get a proc while you have a bunch of other spell power/haste/etc cooldowns up you can get a pretty sick burst for 10+seconds.

Edited by midgettoes

Any clue if power torrent is any decent still? I have a ton of mats to make them and am not very satisfied with these enchants.

edit: I hear PT is better for locks right now. I need to look into this a little, it might just be cause of dem pets

~Sage

Edited by Sagetastic