Contagion

Unholy vs Frost Death Knight PvE

11 posts in this topic

Hey, I am Contagion of Darkspear. Just attempted Highmaul for the first time today, and while I was top of my raid in DPS as Frost, I was WAY behind others who had similar ilvl who played Unholy. I have an ilvl of 640 and averaged around 17k DPS. While looking at the world of logs, I noticed there are people with 635 ilvl who are pulling 30k+ DPS as Unholy. Now I know Unholy is better for dps, and I played it for a long time. I just don't understand how. When I play it, I get around 13k, which is less than my Frost spec. I have read basically every guide out there, theory crafted with my guild for hours, done hours upon hours of testing, to no avail. I simply can't get my DPS up near where these other people are. I can't even get it to surpass my Frost, which is vastly inferior to Unholy.

My rotation is as follows;

-Soul Reaper on targets at/below 45%

-Outbreak to apply diseases

-Defile

-Festering Strike x2 to convert frost/blood runes to death

-Scourge Strike to dump unholy/death runes

-Death Coil when sudden doom procs, or at 90+ RP

-Gargoyle on CD

-Plague Leech when low on RP and out of runes, reapply diseases with Outbreak

-Rinse and Repeat

Again, I don't understand how people are pulling so much. Would anyone care to help me out? Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just retarded? What is going on. It is baffling. I seem to just lack DPS when it should be there. Quite frustrating.

My armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/darkspear/Contagion/advanced

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Contagion.

Edited by Contagion

I can imagine 3 possibilities:

1. You don't mention soul reaper. With unholy with enemies at 45% health you can begin casting soul reaper. This is almost the top priority for unholy dks (next to defile) or if you use a different talent, it is top priority. This hits like a freight train.

2. Defile. Defile is powerful HOWEVER it does have a major drawback. The enemy has to baste in it. If you drop defile and tank moves the enemy out of the way say goodbye to a large portion of your dps that fight. Defile has to be used on CD yes but it has to be used accurately, otherwise, you'll bottom out quick.

3. Multistrike - Your multistrike isn't bad at 18% but of course we want a lot more a lot lot more. You have an open socket you aren't using and not everything that can be enchanted is. Gems spots in WoD are sorta rare now so enchants are a big thing. 

4. Okay so, 4th one. Are you using pots? Are you using food? These are small difference but add up.

Edited for 5th one:

Don't save rune power until 90. Spam death coil as soon as possible. Getting timmy to digivolve is a big priority and there is no benefit in pooling rune power.

Edited by demonardvark

I can imagine 3 possibilities:

1. You don't mention soul reaper. With unholy with enemies at 45% health you can begin casting soul reaper. This is almost the top priority for unholy dks (next to defile) or if you use a different talent, it is top priority. This hits like a freight train.

2. Defile. Defile is powerful HOWEVER it does have a major drawback. The enemy has to baste in it. If you drop defile and tank moves the enemy out of the way say goodbye to a large portion of your dps that fight. Defile has to be used on CD yes but it has to be used accurately, otherwise, you'll bottom out quick.

3. Multistrike - Your multistrike isn't bad at 18% but of course we want a lot more a lot lot more. You have an open socket you aren't using and not everything that can be enchanted is. Gems spots in WoD are sorta rare now so enchants are a big thing. 

4. Okay so, 4th one. Are you using pots? Are you using food? These are small difference but add up.

Edited for 5th one:

Don't save rune power until 90. Spam death coil as soon as possible. Getting timmy to digivolve is a big priority and there is no benefit in pooling rune power.

I do use Soul Reaper, Just forgot to mention it in the post(now edited). I have it nearly constantly applied on targets at or below 50%-45%. Depending on how fast they are going down.

I have defile on CD, and 9 out of 10 times the boss will stand in it for the duration.

Alright, I'll go get what I can enchanted.

Yes, I was full buffed, food buffed, and had the whispering crystal (+100 stats)

Edited by Contagion

Not necessarily related to the issues that you are seeing, but the crystal only increases stats by 100. The tooltip hasn't been updated.

Not necessarily related to the issues that you are seeing, but the crystal only increases stats by 100. The tooltip hasn't been updated.

Hm. In that case would a flask of strength be more effective? since it sits at 250 strength?

For raids, definitely go with flasks. There are going to be wipes as fights are being learnt and flask effect persists through death. You could possibly go with the lesser flasks for normal and switch to greater for heroic / mythic if you don't want to spend too much on them.

oh one more thing, that I am not 100% sure on (so don't kill me if im wrong) but i think now pvp gear scales down in pve content, so your ring is a pvp ring and i believe that now gets weaker when you raid... not 100% on that though

oh one more thing, that I am not 100% sure on (so don't kill me if im wrong) but i think now pvp gear scales down in pve content, so your ring is a pvp ring and i believe that now gets weaker when you raid... not 100% on that though

I don't believe so. I scale UP in PvP, but remains at it's base ilvl in PvE. In essence, it is a 660 ring, which was better than the 636 I had. Someone in my guild ran this by me as well, did ilvl and stat comparisons in a dungeon to test.

UPDATE: turns out World of Logs is just buggy. The top Unholy DPS is actually pulling 23k, instead of 30k. I had a lengthy conversation with him, and turns out I am just not using soul reaper enough. He also has a trinket that grants a CRAZY amount of strength. Also, upon returning to highmaul as Unholy, I was pulling an average of 18k, so I am only behind by a few thousand, as opposed to 15k.

I have seen some logs here and there of Unholy doing 27-30k, but they're honestly just outliers. If you take the average of 90th percentile at the heroic level you're looking at 24k dps for Unholy and 21k dps for Frost. Unholy is definitely ahead by enough that even the best Frost players will have a difficult time beating an average Unholy DK, like statistically proven and everything 60th percentile unholy is 21k and almost exactly even with a 90th percentile frost.

The legnedary PVP ring is 660 in PVE, and will be better than a normal ring, asside from maybe a 655 Multistrike+Mastery ring, but I don't know if there are any of those.

I have a weak aura I've been working on that puts the whole unholy rotation on the screen, ability by ability, and makes buttons flash in real time. It isn't completely finished yet, and even when it is finish it won't be 100% perfect, but having only put 2-3 hours into making it so far, I've already gotten my unholy dps from 15k up to 18k. When I get home tonight I'm going to work on putting the last couple of cooldowns into it, and then I'll share it with everyone else.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ocebard
      Hey all! I need some help with my dps, Im 884 ilvl and only do 350-400k dps overall on fights in Nighthold, even on dummy. 
      I just changed to BoS build so I have to practice, but it feels imossible to get more out of him. Im a bit off at stats and havent got legendary belt, ring or set bonus. Atm I have 25% Crit but only 15% haste :-/ Simcraft says 325 dps... about 360 with Glacial advance build.
      Here is a log from Krosus
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2maWdcvFDwtyQAz6#fight=23&view=analytical&type=damage-done&source=6
      Here is my Armory 
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/defias-brotherhood/Ocebard/simple
    • By Thaosin
      Who are we?
      [Onyxias Rejects] is a newer Horde guild on Mok’Nathal/Silvermoon whose core banded together to create a guild with a welcoming and enjoyable environment for raiding. Our motto is to have fun.
      Our goal is to be a known, organized, and skilled group of individuals who excel in working as a team to overcome the hardest this game has to offer while it is still current and have a good time doing it.
      Raiding Schedule and Participation:
      We are a raiding guild, but with an easier schedule for players balancing real life with play time.
      Tuesday: 5PM-7PM PST
      Wednesday: 5PM-7PM PST
      Requirements:
      We are more interested in your ability as a player than your gear; we are willing to help you gear up if you can demonstrate your willingness and ability to be a contributing raider.
      Prior raid experience isn’t required. Recent raid experience is highly desirable, but not required.
      What do we do outside of raid?
      The guild will begin to regularly partake in high Mythic+ keys, Nightbane, and other group activities.
      Occasional BG and Arena groups regularly pop up as well.
      Some of our members are known to kick it in Overwatch, Heroes, and several other games while the rest of us just hang out in Discord.
      Voice Chat:
      We use Discord for all guild related content. We prefer you to have a working mic but it is not a requirement, as long as you can listen and respond promptly. We encourage people to be active in strategy discussions before and after raid.
      Loot System:
      We use Loot Council with the assistance of add-ons to help distribute the loot. Details on how we use this system are posted on our website.
      Progression:
      9/10N Nighthold
      3/3H Trial of Valor
      7/7H Emerald Nightmare
      Current Recruitment Needs:
      Healers:
      Paladin, Monk, Druid
      Melee DPS:
      All
         Ranged DPS:
      Druid, Mage, Priest, Warlock, Shaman
      Tanks:
      Paladin, Death Knight, Monk
      Druid - Low
      Package deals are welcome, but please let us know about the situation ahead of time.
      Please don’t hesitate to contact us either through BattleNet or in-game
      Thaosin-Mok’Nathal (Thanos#1394) - GM

• By Babblet
      Location: Horde – US Connected Realms: The Venture Co - Maelstrom - Lightninghoof
      About us:
      Converge has been around since WoW Vanilla and has been raiding together since Molten Core; most of our members have been playing together for years. In its older days, when most of us where young, we were more raid focused and demanded a lot from our members. Over the years we had to adjust our playtime and priorities with a growing list of RL responsibilities and are now, for all intents and purposes, a two day raiding guild. We had to cut our total hours spent playing WoW but we still remain just as competitive and result oriented.
      Mandatory reading.
      Basics: ilvl 885+; 40+ points in MS Artifact Weapon; DMG Dealers 400k+ DPS ST.
      Raiding 101: ability to execute/avoid fight mechanics; communicate in English and use a microphone.
      We raid twice a week, a total of 8 hours; attendance of 90% is mandatory. We require you to function at 100% from the second the raid starts all the way to its end; if you cannot commit to a raiding schedule and be online on time this is not a guild for you.
      GRepairs and flasks are provided by GBank; members pitch in mats and/or gold to help out. Guilds preparedness to raid and supply its members with enchants/etc is a team effort. If you are accepted as a member be prepared to do your part.
      Raid Times: 8:00 PM – 12:00 AM Eastern Time – Monday/Tuesday.
      Recruitment: Currently we are only accepting Ranged DPS / Heals.

Legion Progression:
      EN 7/7 Normal - 7/7 Heroic
      ToV 3/3 Normal - 3/3 Heroic
      NH 10/10 Normal - 7/10 Heroic

Contacts:
      Battle.net BTag: Sodium#11394
    • By Mike14107
      1. Times available & time zone:
      <The Mafia> Raids Tuesday/Thursday from 6pm-9pm PST.  We also run alt/non-raider raids on Wednesdays that are optional for everyone from 6pm-9pm PST.
      2. Server preference:
      <The Mafia> is a day one HORDE FROSTWOLF guild. Frostwolf is a medium pop PvP joint server with Vashj.
      3. Hardcore/semi-hardcore/casual:
      <The Mafia> is a semi-hardcore PvE progression guild. We just started Mythic raiding at the tail end of 7.1.  We raid ~6 hours a week UNLESS in a rare circumstance we are close to killing a boss and everyone wants to schedule an additional raid day or stay 30min to an hour after scheduled raid times.
      5. Current progression/experience:
      <The Mafia> is 7/7 M EN, 3/3 H ToV, 10/10H NH and 1/10 M NH.
      6. Recent logs (if available):
      If you want to look at our current logs to see what kind of players we currently have you can find us @ https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/22446
      7. Contact info:
      Feel free to add me @ Mike#14107
      8. Anything else:
      <The Mafia> is a super friendly day one Frostwolf guild.  Our primary objective is to have fun in an environment that is as stress free as possible.  Our goal isn’t to be a top 200 US guild, but instead to clear the content before the next set of content is released.  Not saying we wouldn’t be able to get there, we just don’t have the top 100 guild pressure environment others do.  We have some really skilled players and are looking for a few more to round out our Mythic raiding team.  Please contact me with logs if interested.  Thanks!
    • By Gigs
      Blooded is an established guild, with a friendly and dedicated team
      Blooded has been raiding as a team since the early history of the guild, we focus on progression but make sure we also have room for good fun and friendly bantering. Though the team over the years has seen some changes, it has a good and solid core of players that provides a solid foundation to build on. 
      Everyone in the guild is equally respected, regardless of rank. No one is more important and we don't like drama. Bad attitude in /g or /ra is not tolerated. 
      Bad jokes is however a completely different matter.
      Our current progression is 7/7 M EN - 3/3 HC ToV - 9/10 HC NH
      We are now looking for like minded players willing to progress at a good pace, along with the rest of our raiding members.
      Requirements for Nighthold:

You have at least some Nighthold experience, no need for a full clear though. You have gear to match the experience (min ilvl 880).  Your gear has the best gems/enchants. You are available for 75%+ of all raids. You feel ready, able and have the patience to deal with progression. You are over 18 years of age, or very close to that and super mature.
        Spots open for:

1 Ranged DPS 1-2 Melee DPS Other classes are still considered as long as the requirements are fulfilled. (No tanks)
      If you're looking for a friendly atmosphere while putting in 100% focus in raids, this may very well be the place for you. We also welcome couples or small groups of friends as long as you understand that you all need to reach the requirements and be able to keep up in raids.
      Raid times are:
      Thursday 20:00 - 23:00
      Sunday 20:00 - 23:00
      Tuesday 20:00 - 23:00
      Alt run Wednesdays.
      We run with personal loot, any traded loot is distributed using RClootcouncil. As a trial you should not expect to get decked out in loot the first week.
      If you're interested you're welcome to add one of the battletags for a quick chat.
      Jaket1#2575 (GM)
      Overkill#2363 (Recruitment manager)
      Or check the forum WWW.Bloodedguild.me
      Have a nice wow day !!