FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Phideas

[disc] How much spirit are you running in WoD?

I've set my AMR spirit soft cap at 350 and I'm trying to decide if that's too low, too high, or just right. In heroic dungeon speed runs, I tend to run low on mana while clearing trash, but if I start a boss fight with full mana, I never run out unless something has gone very, very wrong.

So I thought I'd ask my fellow disc priests - where's your soft cap for spirit these days?

Thanks for the response! When I look at my gear on AMR (Phideas on Hyjal), I have 238 Spirit "rating" and 1025 Spirit "actual value." When you say that you're running 1000, is that rating or actual value? (The site is not great about explaining the difference.)

And if you use AMR, are you setting your soft caps to 1000 and 1300, respectively?

That is my actual Spirit total. I have not plugged my toon into AMR yet this tier.

I am currently running 0 bonus spirit on my Disc priest. I am not top tier progressed, but have downed up to Heroic Twins + 7/7 normal. That said, I do use everburning candle + shadowfiend on cooldown and have enchanted my weapon for spirit proc. My HpS typically parses in around 26-30k on low-stress fights (brakenspore, Imperator, etc) and around 40k on high stress fights (butcher for example). Honestly, I think to really optimize gear I would have a secondary set with a bit more spirit for long fights with high throughput phases. 

TLDR: Everburning Candle is BROKEN AS HELL. The candle has allowed me to move 300-500 stat points into healing stats over spirit.

• Like 1

I am currently running 0 bonus spirit on my Disc priest. I am not top tier progressed, but have downed up to Heroic Twins + 7/7 normal. That said, I do use everburning candle + shadowfiend on cooldown and have enchanted my weapon for spirit proc. My HpS typically parses in around 26-30k on low-stress fights (brakenspore, Imperator, etc) and around 40k on high stress fights (butcher for example). Honestly, I think to really optimize gear I would have a secondary set with a bit more spirit for long fights with high throughput phases. 

TLDR: Everburning Candle is BROKEN AS HELL. The candle has allowed me to move 300-500 stat points into healing stats over spirit.

Ya, same.  I picked up the Everburning Candle after it's buff and was able to drop almost 400 Spirit.

To be honest, a lot of the dynamic here depends on your dps, and in general the whole of your raid. To be blunt, if your dps is fast and your tanks good, you'll need less healing, less spirit. A lot of these discussions fail to see that but really, if I'm in a raid that nobody knows what they are doing I may do up to 10K more HPS than in another group, which pretty much explains what I'm saying, let alone it may have to last longer.

edit: the most blunt example any healer can see is if you go oom only when the boss is like 8% HP and your dpses aren't really up to par. I mean really, that's the most blunt example ever. It's pretty much obvious if you had slightly better dps you would never go oom, or alternatively, if the tanks needed less healing.

Edited by fateswarm
  • Like 1

if you go oom only when the boss is like 8% HP and your dpses aren't really up to par.

There is also the possibility that the strat is bad for DPS min maxing or the healers arent timing their cd's properly so are emergency healing too much or mechanics are being executed poorly, the list goes on.

Through people posting how much has worked for them it will allow people with no experience to benchmark themselves against other healers.

For example if Gwenymph and Brew can top heals in a raid size of 25+ as disc running with 1000 spirit then perhaps i dont need to aim for 2000 spirit. I doubt this thread  is intended for "you must have X spirit" more i wonder what everyone else is doing.

That said, I do use everburning candle + shadowfiend on cooldown and have enchanted my weapon for spirit proc.

To be fair those are both effective increases to your spirit. The candle post-nerf is still worth 211 spirit. The spirit proc is another roughly 180 spirit. So you're effectively running with the equivalent of 391 extra spirit, which in addition to the base 781 is a total of 1172 spirit.

Personally I'm overshooting for our current content, but doing the math, spirit is going to come ahead of all other stats uncapped as we start on mythic and encounters get really long. I'm currently at 1134 static spirit, adding the DMC trinket, candle and weapon enchant puts me at 1792.76 spirit.

Our imperator HC kill looked like this:

0ef1cb5124.png

So yeah, currently overshooting it.

Edited by Espiee

This seems like such a situational discission. I run with rather new players, and in order for me to do as much healing as I possibly can, tank healing and chucking out group, i need as much regen as possible. However if I was running with a veteran raid team, I would not need to output as much mana, therefor would not need as much spirit. Personally I'm grabbing as much Spirit as possible, as of right now I dont see mana preservation going away as the content progresses, and would rather have it for when my guild hits a brick wall. But again if your on the cutting edge I can see how trading out spirit for other stats could be a useful gain. But it is very limited in source.

This seems like such a situational discission. I run with rather new players, and in order for me to do as much healing as I possibly can, tank healing and chucking out group, i need as much regen as possible. However if I was running with a veteran raid team, I would not need to output as much mana, therefor would not need as much spirit. Personally I'm grabbing as much Spirit as possible, as of right now I dont see mana preservation going away as the content progresses, and would rather have it for when my guild hits a brick wall. But again if your on the cutting edge I can see how trading out spirit for other stats could be a useful gain. But it is very limited in source.

I'm in the similar boat, not exactly a bad team, but we are pretty much between semi-hardcore leaning towards casual. I don't want to be more serious for the time being because of time management issues.

This reminds me that I heard some hard core teams ignore healers to a large extend in terms of gearing since the logic is to make the dps as large as possible.

i.e. if the tanks and healers can only cope marginally while the dpses rush, so be it, an annoying approach since it's based on wipes but it works for ranks.

Edited by fateswarm