XIIGage

Feel like my DPS should be higher - UH DK

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

Exactly as the title suggests. I have been tuning and tweaking my rotation and I still cannot get where I think I should be. I am not doing TERRIBLE dps, but from everything I see, it can be higher.

Here is a log of my last butcher fight: 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qHXZmfjJdtCKYa81#fight=5&type=damage-done&source=1

Even though we wiped on that fight, it was at 10% and my DPS stayed steady right at 18k up until then. Simcrafts I have run say I could be doing 21k. I died at 5:01 if that helps anyone.

I am following the rotation on the icy veins guide, my diseases have a 97%+ uptime, pet is transformed at all times possible, and my soul reaper is used on CD below 45%.

My stats are pretty poorly optimized right now, so it could be attributed to that, but simcraft still says 21k with my current gear.

Here is my armory link as well: 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Chillmurray/simple

Please pick everything apart! Criticize me! I want to do as much DPS as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Rotation looks good. Are you potting? What stat booster are you using? Are you well fed as well?

Also just FYI sims are almost impossible to hit, they are usually off by about 10%. So if it says you should be doing 21 and you are pulling 18 you are pretty close mang. Sims don't take into consideration boss mechanics and movement. 

So for instance on the butcher there are times when he charges around, if you drop defile and he jumped out of it you see big dps loss at that instance. So in general I feel you are doing a pretty good job :D

Here's my log from last week that I'm comparing to yours to get an idea of where we have differences. The kill time is almost the same as the time on your log, so it should be a really good comparison. My dps isn't exactly rank 1 or anything, but it is about 1.5k higher than yours.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/aQ4KmqcT3PfvbhLz#fight=23&type=casts&source=8

Stuff that looks good: You're using Defile pretty much on CD, your Soul Reaper usage is great. Disease uptimes are 98%+, your empowered ghoul uptime is solid, you're using your trinket on cooldown, and you actually have more scourge strikes and death coils than me in the same fight length.

Some things you could improve on: You only have 3 plague leech's, In the same length fight I had 8. Even if you have to refresh diseases with plague strike afterwards, plague leech is still at minimum 1 free rune every 25 secs. It looks like you potted at the start, but missed the pre-pot. having the second pot ready in execute range will make a huge difference. my average soul reaper hit is 5k higher than yours, At the time of my log I was about 650 ilvl, so I had you beat in gear by a little bit, but I'm willing to bet the second pot plays a big part in the difference.

Also multistrike. You actually got more casts off on most abilities than I did, more scourge strikes, more festering strikes, more death coils, but my average hits are higher because I'm getting way more multistrikes.

Thanks for the advice on everything! I always felt plague leech to be a little clunky so I am still trying to get used to it. I will try out a few things and update you!

Hi all,

I am also playing an UH DK and I feel my DPS is lacking a lot. This has never happened before when I used to raid in wotlk - in fact I was always top DPS and I even have a shadowmourne to show for it but I feel this expansion something weird is going on, i'm just hoping my 3 years break from WoW didn't make me too rusty.

We ran a normal and heroic yesterday with my real life friend's guild and I am comparing my performance on Butcher (since this is a steady dps fight, more or less) on both normal and heroic, and I'm just feeling confused about it.

On normal, I was ilvl 636 and I managed 18.1k DPS

On heroic, I was ilvl 641 (gotten some upgrades during normal) and I managed a staggering 16.7k DPS

Log from normal: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ahjMwFtx8d6DqvWL#type=damage-done&fight=6&source=69

Log from heroic: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ahjMwFtx8d6DqvWL#type=damage-done&fight=22&source=69

Here is my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Gravix/simple(note that I had a ilvl 636 weap at the time of the logs but the rest was the same)

Can you please help me find what is going wrong? I am doing the rotation as advised on this website and the only thing I can admit is that I am not pre-potting but my numbers are always constantly low even though I'd like to think I'm doing everything right.

Is this a problem of gear? I know my trinkets suck, but any pointers would be more than welcome.

Why do you have a mastery enchant on your cloak?

Only 5 soul reapers appear to be really low. I had 16 on my most recent kill for a fight almost the same length (4:39). Disease uptime could also be bit better. You could have also gotten off one more defile for that fight duration.

As far as I know, mastery and multistrike are equally good so my cloak enchant isn't the problem.

you are right, I should have probably pulled off more soul reapers towards the end, but throughout the fight i'm checking the meter and i'm constantly doing low dps before the boss reaches the < 45% stage.

It could be something to do with my rotation, so I will explain what I do.

---opening---

1. I open up with outbreak

2. 2x FS to get rid of the blood/frost runes

3. Defile on boss

4. SS spam until all runes depleted

---rotation---

1. Dark Transformation if available

2. Death Coil if DT isn't up

3. Defile if it is up

4. 2x FS to get rid of blood/frost runes

5. SS spam

---situational---

1. Plague Leech when Outbreak is up

2. Outbreak

3. back to normal rotation

Your feedback is appreciated and please point up if i'm doing something incorrectly.

You should be opening with garg+any DPS cooldowns you may have(racials or trinkets), followed by Defile. Then you'll want to get your diseases on and use FS to get rid of your Blood/Frost runes. At that point you can Death Coil a couple times and pop Empower Rune Weapon to use on Scourge Strikes. Defile also takes priority over your Dark Trans. Soul Reaper is the real key to damage though. On most of my logs for Butcher, Soul Reaper is top damage.

Of course another thing is to save second pot and second garg for Lust around 30% when the boss hits enrage. Hope this helps.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cR4pHPF1xkKj8AW2#fight=10&type=damage-done&source=3

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Nordrassil/Pistons/advanced

Logs and armory if you feel like comparing yourself(was 643 ilvl in that pull), I died around 4:32 so lost a lot of SR damage.

There was a bug in simcraft where Soul Reaper was double dipping into mastery. This may have led to mastery being slightly overvalued. It has been fixed in the latest version.

Also, from my personal experience, Butcher has been a meh fight for me in terms of DPS. I suppose the AoE blood boil is so strong that without having an opportunity to use it on this fight on normal / heroic, the numbers are bit lacking. I see only 3 or 4 DKs in the top200 parses for this boss on heroic.

Edited by drumsmani

There was a bug in simcraft where Soul Reaper was double dipping into mastery. This may have led to mastery being slightly overvalued. It has been fixed in the latest version.

Also, from my personal experience, Butcher has been a meh fight for me in terms of DPS. I suppose the AoE blood boil is so strong that without having an opportunity to use it on this fight on normal / heroic, the numbers are bit lacking. I see only 3 or 4 DKs in the top200 parses for this boss on heroic.

Omg, i just went and downloaded the new simcraft and it makes a big difference. I have been going crazy trying to figure out where I was going so wrong that I was 20% under the sim. After downloading the new simcraft my numbers are at 92% of the simcraft numbers. I am very pleased with this considering the top DK on the butcher fight only got to 97% of the his simcraft numbers.

After tweaking my rotation a little bit more and getting into the habit of using plague leech on CD, my dps did go up from the 17.8k I posted earlier to 19.2k (Of a possible simcraft number of 21000).

I am still working at it, but I am please with my results so far!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this