MrTree

Shadow priest dps problem?

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I just signed up and I'm pretty new to priests (since Cata) and I found I am lacking in dps behind other classes, but also with other shadow priests! I already spoke with my guild and some mates about this, but they dont really know what's wrong. I asked a fellow shadowpriest (who does like 60/70k dps) what to do, he told me to just stack haste and mastery Posted Image

I read the guide here, and some others to and I think I have the right rotation andn my ilvl isn't that low. So why am I doing only 30k dps?! I really want to improve myself and do some decent damage!

Here's my armory link: http://eu.battle.net...Ceraldir/simple

I'm talking about both pve and pvp here, although my pvp damage isn't really bad compared to other classes.

The rotation I'm using is just my dots (Vamp and SW:P), then Mindblast, Everything that procs, Devourign plague at 3 orbs, and I'm currently also trying to figure out what the best talent is (From darkness comes light or power word:solace) it doesn't make alot of difference dps wise for me.

So I'm just wondering if I'm just doing something wrong, or if it's just my gear atm that isn't good enough, or if there's something else.

Thanks for looking into my problem! If you need more details or something, just yell at me!

Ps. 30k dps is bad so I really could use you guys help!

Now i am not sure what is wrong really, i am not a expert on spriests but one thing i noticed was "The rotation I'm using is just my dots (Vamp and SW:P), then Mindblast, Everything that procs, Devourign plague at 3 orbs, and I'm currently also trying to figure out what the best talent is (From darkness comes light or power word:solace) it doesn't make alot of difference dps wise for me." does this include mind flay as a filler? and is this aoe or single target? oh btw if you use the from darkness comes light, there is a glyph which makes your next mind blast, to be cast faster and instant with two stacks when you Use mind spike.

edit: here is the glyph http://www.wowhead.com/item=45758

Edited by Spinnerlink

I would strongly advice staying away from FDCL and Divine Insight until you're fully comfortable playing an Spriest. They just add an extra layer of complexity for a very modest DPS gain on some Bosses. Mindbender is extremely competitive for DPS and Twist of Fate is amazing on almost all encounters.

Power Word: Solace isn't designed for Shadow, it's sub-par DPS and designed for Healing Priests as a mana return tool. Take Mindbender.

You're a fair way below Hit cap. You should be aiming for 15%.

What encounter are you pulling 30k DPS? Stone Guards is pretty good for us, you can run dots on both active Dogs. I'd be aiming for at least 50k+, 70k+ is very achievable. Feng isn't great due to our sub-par single target DPS, but you'd still want to be around 50k. Gotta work to get over 60k though.

Mastery is our weakest secondary stat. Haste is obviously is #1; crit is our second strongest secondary but mastery isn't far behind. Tbh it won't make a big difference in DPS either way at your iLevel. Just forge for hit and haste.

HowToPriest has a good Shadow primer here. It's a good place to start.

I DO use mind flay as a filler, and this is 1 to 3 targets, I have the glyph and use it =)

Reply to Stasis:

I am comfortable playing spriest! I like the mechanics and I understand them it's just my damage that I'm abit worried about. I don't find FDCL and Divine Insight very hard to master or anything, but they don't really boost my dps :D

I've never tried Mindbender, so I will. With me using Power word: Solace I meant I used the shadow version of that, so the SW:P consuming and doing extra dmg one. I'm not sure if my armory has updated good enough, but I am on the 15% hit cap =)

Thanks for the advice, I will have a look into the guide!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: 
      Stjern#2802 or Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 72+ traits.
      - 8/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Druid: Balance.
      Warlock: Affli/dest
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By Tessivento
      Hi all.
      I recently went Guardian from Resto. Theoretically I know my rotation, cd, etc. I'm running Antorus HC, i got the curve and i think to hold with not many problems every boss but seeing my logs my performance is always low.

I don't know where I make my mistakes but I think to have these issues:
      My damage taken is always minor than other tanks; My damage dealt... same (I build my bear full defense but my dps seems to be too low); Sometimes i have threat problem (especially with paladins or warrior); I should selfheal more but i don't see the need when I am full: i prefer to stack ironfur. What can i do to improve?

If you wanna see my armor, look here.
      I don't aim to shine, but, at least, be on a average rank :p

Thank you all
    • By SeeerQ
      Been loosing to secret mages a lot lately. Anyway to counter them? The spells they have are annoying and they are able to kill of my big minions using fireball, polymorph etc. How do you counter them? 
    • By Caldyrvan
      I am glad I'm watching Chump because not only he's an inspiration but also because I was browsing through the standard priest deck lists provided here and even though it's a long list they are all pretty much the same (many of them no fun anymore, at least to me and def. no fun to play against) and I get the feeling lately Icy Veins tries to provide the most expensive decks only. No doubt they are effective and successful but as I said, getting bored and it's kind of bad for every new player visiting this page and just seeing (s)he has to play longer than some cards take to rotate out of standard to acquire a viable deck. 
      So, I was wondering why are the no decks like the following in this list, something wrong with adding such decks? Of course you can't add every possible deck type/variation but with a dozen Highlander and Dragon priest decks already being in this list there should be room for at least one or two others.
      All credit goes to Chump for this deck, I'm just posting it as well as his first video with it.
      Total Arcane Dust cost: 1600
      With all of the cards being basic, common or rare we can assume most players have most of the cards maybe a few to craft. Pretty cheap imo.
      2x Emerald Reaver 2x Northshire Cleric 2x Potion of Madness 2x Power Word: Shield 2x Voodoo Doctor 2x Golakka Crawler 2x Radiant Elemental 2x Shadow Ascendant 1x Deathspeaker 2x Happy Ghoul 2x Kabal Talonpriest 2x Auchenai Soulpriest 2x Keening Banshee 1x Darkscale Healer 2x Sunborne Val'kyr 2x Bonemare Deck Code: AAECAa0GAsYEmssCDoQB7QHlBPIMtbsC8LsC2MEC3cIC5MICyMsCzswCn84Cps4ClegCAA==
      He was playing 2 version of this deck with the other being a bit more expensive using Genzo, the Shark and Leeroy Jenkins instead of the 2 Auchenai Soulpriest.
      Have Fun :)
      -> Budget Cannibal Warlock -> Budget Handbuff Paladin -> Budget Aggro/Tempo Rogue