Sentinel Leveling Build for Last Epoch
This is the perfect leveling guide for new players wanting to start with Sentinel! This page will cover everything and anything you could need to know about leveling the class, including which skills to use, what stats to prioritize, and what uniques are useful early in the game.
This base class leveling guide is designed to get you started in the right direction with Sentinel, by offering a simple skill setup to assist you while you play through the first major act of the game. We have chosen a set of skills and passives that create an effective and yet simplistic play style that can rapidly push your character to their mastery selection at the End of Time.
This guide will showcase the specialization nodes for each of the three skills we have selected. These specialization slots unlock at levels 4, 8, 20, 35 and 50, granting you access to your skill trees to augment your chosen skills. For the purpose of this guide, we will only be using the first three of our skill trees to augment our character's chosen skills by adding ten nodes at most to each tree. While the maximum is 20, our goal is to have you transition into your chosen Mastery by the time you hit level 30 and continue on with your chosen Mastery Leveling Guides as seen below.
Sentinel Basic Leveling Trees
Sentinel Passive Points
Our base class is the Sentinel, which acts as a generic melee fighter. Our character will be offered an opportunity to select an Advanced Mastery once we have completed the first act of the campaign. Each base class has three possible masteries to choose from. For the Sentinel, we have access to the Mastery Tree Passives for Void Knight, Paladin and Forge Guard. Upon selecting a Mastery and placing 20 Passive Points into the Sentinel Tree, you'll then be able to place Passive Points into the Mastery Trees.
For this guide will be focusing on the first 30 passive points for you character, you may choose to move on to a Mastery after you have completed the first story arc of the game and reach the End of Time. This may or may not occur before you have all the passive points for this class tree. Do not worry, and simply move on to one of our Mastery Leveling Guides located at the top of the page.
As for the leveling Sentinel passive tree, we will be focusing on a blend of offensive and defensive increases to help round out our character. While you can deviate from this selection, be aware that not have a balanced setup could slow you down as you progress through the campaign.
- 8 points into Juggernaut: Stat and Resistance increases.
- 5 points into Overwhelm: Increases our Melee attack damage.
- 5 points into Armour Clad: Increased Armor and Damage Reduction from nearby enemies.
- 5 points into Valiant Charge: All movement skills have their cooldown lowered, this applies to our Lunge and Volatile Reversal.
- 1 point into Time and Faith: This is an extremely important node and you need to balance how many points you have here to match what you gain in Mana. Be sure to keep your character's mana high enough to spam your skills.
- 1 point into Gladiator: Allows us to dual wield.
- 5 points into Blademaster: Increases our Attack Speed.
The order here is not overly specific, but you want to unlock your Shield Rush and Rebuke as quickly as possible. It is also important to get Gladiator for the dual wield ability. Until you can dual wield you will need to use a shield.
Rive is a combo of three melee attacks, with every third attack acting as an AoE around the character dealing double damage. This will be our main DPS skill as we progress through the first major act of the game. On our journey to the End of Time, we will be scaling this skill the entire time so it should have 8-10 passive points available to spend just based upon standard play. Remember when you respec a skill in Last Epoch you will lose some of your skill points and have to re-level the skill to get them back. Bear that in mind if you so chose to swap around some of the nodes, while they do offer you an accelerated increase in experience to get your passive points back to where it was before, it will take some extra time.
For our skill tree selection we have chosen several nodes to amplify our main skill. The most important of these nodes is listed below:
- 2 points into Outburst: Increases the AoE of our third strike.
- 1 point into Reclamation: This grants Rive's third strike some Health leech.
- 1 point into Brutality: Increases the damage on our third strike.
- 1 point into Coup de Grace: Grants us a kill threshold for our third strike.
- 2 points into Flurry: Increases the Attack speed for the first and second strike.
- 4 points into Concentration: Increases our base Critical Strike Chance.
- 1 point into Focused Strike: This guarantees our third strike will critically strike, but blocks our first two attacks from critically striking.
These chosen nodes play into the way Rive works, focusing on our third attack for the majority of our DPS. We want to group up enemies and strike them down with that final attack, then use our Shield Rush to target the next group. A simple rinse and repeat style of gameplay.
Shield Rush charges through enemies in the target direction until you release the ability key. The enemies you hit along your chosen path take damage, but the majority of this skills damage occurs at the end of the traversal. This final hit after the movement skill has completed is great way to clear out smaller mobs and continue forward through the map. On our journey to the End of Time this will be our second specialization skill which we will open up at level 8. We will be scaling this skill up rather quickly and it should have 8-10 passive points available to spend just based upon standard play. Remember when you respec a skill in Last Epoch you will lose some of your skill points and have to re-level the skill to get them back. Bear that in mind if you so chose to swap around some of the nodes, while they do offer you an accelerated increase in experience to get your passive points back to where it was before, it will take some extra time.
For our skill tree selection we have chosen several nodes to amplify this traversal skill. The most important of these nodes is listed below:
- 2 points into Consuming Path: Increases overall damage.
- 1 point into Dark Rush: This will be one a priority nodes to get, however, you can't dual wield weapons until further in your Sentinel passive tree so you don't need to take this immediately. Just use a shield.
- 4 points into Warrior's Entrance: Increases our final hit damage.
- 1 point into Echoes of the Charge: Our final hit will strike twice.
- 3 points into Stretched Time: Increases our final hit echo damage.
These chosen nodes play into the way Shield Rush works, focusing on our final attack for the majority of our DPS. We want to group up enemies and strike them down with that final attack, gaining not only the increases in damage from our node selection, but also the ability to strike twice at the end.
Rebuke is a hold-ability to channel for up to 2 seconds, during this time you take 80% less damage until the barrier breaks. Once your barrier breaks, it explodes dealing physical damage to all enemies around you. On our journey to the End of Time this will be our third specialization skill which we will open up at level 20. We will be scaling this skill up rather quickly and it should have 8-10 passive points available to spend just based upon standard play. Remember when you respec a skill in Last Epoch you will lose some of your skill points and have to re-level the skill to get them back. Bear that in mind if you so chose to swap around some of the nodes, while they do offer you an accelerated increase in experience to get your passive points back to where it was before, it will take some extra time.
For our skill tree selection we have chosen several nodes to amplify our defensive skill. The most important of these nodes is listed below:
- 2 points into Bide: Increases our duration allowing it to absorb more damage.
- 4 points into Regenerative Shell: Regenerates Health.
- 3 points into Mystic Aegis: Increases our cooldown recovery.
- 1 point into Augmented Plating: Increase to Armor.
These chosen nodes play into the way Rebuke is used in the build, utilizing it as a defensive skill and way to recharge ourselves during battle. This can be used against packs of enemies, or difficult elites/bosses. While the damage is not substantial, the ability to heal up and block damage for a moment can be critical to you living or dying.
This is very straight forward, simply use your Shield Rush to move around the map. Target packs of enemies and crash into them for the double strike bonus at the end of your path. Then clear the remaining mobs out with your Rive, using that final attack with a guaranteed Critical Strike in an AoE. Pause if you need and use Rebuke to gain back your Health/Mana, then move back to Shield Rush. Very simple, very easy to play.
Gearing and Affixes
Below we have recommended the specific affixes to target with this build. Dedicating specific gear recommendations outside of uniques is quite challenging as you will be constantly swapping out different pieces of gear as you level. Your goal should be to use gear that has the targeted affixes on it and stack those affixes as high as you can. This is completely dependent on what drops you come across, and you may not find your ideal pieces of gear, but you should be able to find items that can still be of assistance to your build.
Melee Attack Speed
Critical Strike Multiplier
Melee Damage Leeched as Health
Health on Kill
Early on, if you happen to find come across any of these low level uniques they can be a fantastic addition to helping you level this character, and others. Be sure to setup a bank tab for them and keep them as you out grow them.
|Advent of the Erased
|Grimoire of Necrotic Elixirs
If you manage to find any of these items later in game with Legendary Potential, be sure to keep them. You can add an affix to it to make it even more effective for leveling any of your alt characters.
- 30 Nov. 2023: Guide added.
- Giveaway Day 2: Get Your Last Epoch Key!
- David Harbour Reveals His Unique Item for Last Epoch!
- Last Epoch 1.0 Patch Notes Highlights
- Last Epoch Game Key Give-Away and New Section Look!
- Pre-Patch Blog Day 5: New Items, Affixes, and Uniques!
- Pre-Patch Blog Day 4: Item Factions, Falconer, and Warlock!
- Eleventh Hour Games Reddit AMA - How to Join
- David Harbour Reveals Collaboration With Last Epoch!