Discipline Priest Level 58 Boost Guide
This guide was designed to help new and returning Discipline Priests with getting up to speed on how their class plays at Level 58 with the TBC talents and spells.
It is also an excellent first-read for players using the new TBCC Dark Portal Boost!
In The Burning Crusade Classic, Blizzard has added a feature where you can boost a character instantly to level 58. This guide aims to help you learn the basics of playing a Discipline Priest, considering this expedited leveling experience.
Discipline Priest is not a good leveling spec and it is highly advised that you choose Shadow if you are a freshly boosted character and leveling alone. If you are choosing to level in the open world with other players, or in dungeons, Discipline can be a solid choice.
We will focus on the healing and buffing aspect that Discipline offers, assuming you are either leveling in a dungeon group or questing with other players.
Priests use Mana as their primary resource. With boosted gear you will have a low starting Mana pool, so be cautious about your Mana and make sure you are drinking water often to stay full. Your spells do not typically have a high cost associated with them, but you can easily burn through a small pool of Mana with too many casts.
In this section we will try to break down the basic abilities that you will want to focus on using. They will be separated into different sections based on their uses, such as offense or defense.
- Power Word: Shield is a spell you should try to only use in emergencies, as it has a high Mana cost for a low health gain.
- Renew is a great healing over time spell. Try to keep it up on whoever is taking consistent damage.
- Flash Heal is a heal with a quick cast time used to rapidly heal someone.
- Greater Heal has a long cast, but heals for a very large amount. You will want to use this when someone is taking high damage.
- Prayer of Healing is your AoE healing ability that heals all party members. Use it when multiple people are taking damage, but be aware of the high Mana cost.
- Wanding is a large part of your DPSing, as you can regenerate Mana while doing this. Do not be afraid to use your Wand a few times when healing is not needed.
- Shadow Word: Pain should be used on targets that will live for only a little while.
- Mind Blast is a quick cast that deals good damage.
- Holy Fire is a long cast, but which deals good damage and damage over time.
- Smite has a decent cast time and deals decent damage.
- Fade temporarily reduces your overall threat. It can be useful if you get aggro from healing.
- Dispel Magic can be used to remove magical debuffs from an ally or magical buffs from an enemy.
- Psychic Scream lets you fear mobs off you, which can be useful if things start to go wrong and you are being attacked.
- Fear Ward can be used preemptively to prevent a fear on an ally.
- Mind Soothe reduces the range that a hostile creature will aggro from. It can be useful for skipping mobs or avoiding face pulls.
- Shackle Undead allows you to crowd control an Undead mob.
Try to keep these buffs up at all times on yourself and your party members.
- Power Word: Fortitude buffs the target with increased Stamina for 30 minutes.
- Divine Spirit gives target increased spirit and spell damage.
- Shadow Protection can be very useful if you are dealing with enemies that deal Shadow damage.
- Inner Fire increases your armor by a good amount. Try to keep this buff up in case you get melee attacked.
- Power Infusion can be used on a caster DPS player to greatly increase their damage, or used on yourself to help increase healing done.
- Pain Suppression reduces all damage taken by an ally for 8 seconds. It can be great to save someone's life or do a big pull.
- Bonus Healing
- Mana Per 5
- 17 May 2021: Guide added.
- Wrath Classic Phase 2 Launching on January 17th
- Naxxramas Achievement Rewards to Remain Available Throughout Wrath Classic
- Patch 3.4.1 PTR Development Notes: January 6th
- Summon Gargoyle Changes on the Wrath Classic PTR
- Ahead of the Curve and Cutting Edge Achievements Coming to Wrath Classic
- No Changes Planned for Ulduar Tier Sets Beyond 6 Item Level Bump
- Wrath Classic Season 1 Ends January 9th
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update