Protection Warrior Level 58 Boost Guide
This guide was designed to help new and returning Protection Warriors with getting up to speed on how their class plays at Level 58 with the TBC talents and spells.
It is also an excellent first-read for players using the new TBCC Dark Portal Boost!
In The Burning Crusade Classic, Blizzard has added a feature where you can boost a character instantly to level 58. This guide aims to help you learn the basics of playing a Protection Warrior, since the greatly-expedited leveling process can leave you feeling a bit confused.
While it is recommended to play one of the other specs for leveling, Protection tree is still decent and competitive in terms of kill speed while taking less damage than the other specs.
The starting gear offered to boosted Warriors makes tanking extremely difficult, but still doable. Below is the recommended tanking build for freshly boosted Protection Warriors. You will need to focus on a much more defensive style of playing as you are lacking much needed stats.
Warriors use Rage as their primary resource. Rage is generated by damage dealt by auto attacks and most damage taken. Rage is required to use most of your abilities. Rage has a cap of 100, any Rage gained beyond that is essentially wasted; make sure to use it before you are at 100.
In this section we will try to break down the basic abilities that you will want to focus on using. They will be separated into different sections, based on their uses, such as offense or defense.
Warriors have different combat stances, essentially dictating the style of fighting they want to pursue. Some abilities can only be used in certain stances, making it important to understand each stance's purpose. Every time that you change stances, you will retain up to 10 Rage and lose all the rest, so make sure that you use as much Rage as possible before changing your stance.
- Battle Stance — This is your main stance for solo game play. This is a well-balanced stance that allows you access to all of the abilities you need when leveling.
- Defensive Stance — Reduces damage dealt and damage taken by 10%, as well as increasing your threat generated by 30%. Use this when you are tanking for a group.
- Berserker Stance — Increases your chance to crit by 3%, as well as your damage taken by 10%. Use this only when you want to use the specific abilities that require this stance.
- Charge is how you get into combat quickly. It requires Battle Stance.
- Devastate is your main damaging ability. It has a low Rage cost, letting you spam it frequently. With a decent weapon, this deals respectable damage.
- Overpower should be used if you ever have one of your attacks dodged while in Battle Stance.
- Revenge should be used whenever it is available while you are in Defensive Stance.
- Execute should be used to finish off any low health mobs.
- Shield Slam is great for threat, but has a very high Rage cost. Only use this if you have plenty of Rage.
- Heroic Strike should be used to dump excess Rage if you are close to the cap.
- Cleave should be used to dump excess Rage if you are close to the cap and fighting multiple mobs.
- Battle Shout increases melee attack power of all nearby allies. Make sure to keep this buff up.
- Concussion Blow is a low-cooldown single target stun.
- Shield Block greatly increases your block chance for 5 seconds.
- Demoralizing Shout reduces nearby enemies' Physical melee damage dealt.
- Thunder Clap reduces nearby enemies' attack speed.
- Disarm removes the main hand weapon of an enemy, greatly reducing the damage they deal. It requires Defensive Stance.
- Taunt lets you get threat on a mob when you need to tank it. Requires Defensive Stance.
- Mocking Blow gives you temporary threat on a target when you need to tank it. It requires Battle Stance.
- Challenging Shout gives you temporary threat on all nearby targets.
- Bloodrage trades some health for Rage. Try to use this whenever you safely can.
- Shield Bash interrupts an enemy's spell cast.
- Hamstring can be used to slow a mob to prevent it from escaping or to run away yourself.
- Intercept allows you to charge an enemy in combat.
- Berserker Rage makes you immune to and removes all Fear and incapacitating effects. It requires Berserker Stance.
- Intimidating Shout fears up to 5 nearby enemies.
- Last Stand gives you a high amount of health for 20 seconds.
- Shield Wall reduces all damage taken greatly for a 10 seconds. It requires a shield and Defensive Stance to activate.
- Retaliation makes it so that each time you are attacked, you will retaliate and counter attack back. This spell is good when you pull a ton of mobs, but is rarely used outside of leveling. It requires Battle Stance to activate.
- Recklessness grants you 100% Critical Strike Chance on your attacks, but increases your damage taken by 20%. It is good for pushing out a ton of burst damage. It requires Berserker Stance.
- Hit Chance
- Strength/Attack Power
- 17 May 2021: Guide added.
- Chinese Realm "Region Unavailable" Messages Appeared for EU Players
- Changes to Death Knight Character Creation Restrictions Coming
- Free Character Transfers in Wrath Classic: March 3rd
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: March 1st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 24th
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 21st
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: February 16th
- Season of Mastery Realms Closing This Week, Transfers Open