Russa

New Arcane Mage, Low DPS. Please advise.

Sign in to follow this  

4 posts in this topic

Hi there fellow Mages. I follow your forum for quite a while and i find it very helpful. Last night i recorded my first combat log and i would like to get some advice on DPS improvement.

I respeced to arcane 3 days ago but i feel that my DPS should be much higher.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Russa/advanced

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TMmhNjy768GqJpC1/#fight=3

The first step would be adding arcane barrage to your hotkeys bar and read a bit how arcane mage gameplay works smile.png
THey are so many things to say that i just invite you to read the arcane mage guide of this website.

For instance you should never, ever stay more than 5 seconds below 60% mana, but you were in this state more than 50% of the fight (which is directlly related to the fact that you only use evocation to burn your arcane charges, but never arcane barrage).

If you still struggle to understand how the arcane mage gameplay works, please, send me a message and i will have a look at your most recent logs.

With your stuff, you should be able to reach 28k-30k on the butcher without any problems.

Edited by tapif
  • Like 1

The first step would be adding arcane barrage to your hotkeys bar and read a bit how arcane mage gameplay works smile.png

THey are so many things to say that i just invite you to read the arcane mage guide of this website.

For instance you should never, ever stay more than 5 seconds below 60% mana, but you were in this state more than 50% of the fight (which is directlly related to the fact that you only use evocation to burn your arcane charges, but never arcane barrage).

If you still struggle to understand how the arcane mage gameplay works, please, send me a message and i will have a look at your most recent logs.

With your stuff, you should be able to reach 28k-30k on the butcher without any problems.

Thanks for the reply, this was very helpful. I have read the guide (which is very elaborate both on forum and  icy-veins classes section) but sometimes you just need another set of eyes to see the problem.

If i had to summarize the arcane mage gameplay, that would be in two sentences :

-One "conserve" phase where build your arcane charge and you try to keep your mana as high as possible. Whenever you cast arcane blast, you lose mana, whenever you cast supernova/arcane missile, you cast an arcane blast with 4 arcane charge you lose mana. When you are below 93% (roughly this value if you begin), and cannot cast arcane missile or supernova, just cast arcane barrage to burn your arcan charge stacks and repeat.

-One "burn phase"  which takes place when evocation is about to be off cooldown. On that phase, you cast arcane charge (and arcane missile whenever it is up) until you roughly it 50% mana, and then, you cast evocation to burn your arcane charges and replenish all your mana. You then go back to the conserve phase until the next evocation CD.

There is some more subtleties, (when to cast major CD, how to stay at 4 arcane charges as long as possible) that you will learn with time, and by rereading the guide once you really understand how your mage works, but this is the rough idea.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kiowarixie
      Anyone else receiving fear that absolutely wipes haste off?
    • By m2geek
      Right, so today Kil'Jaeden's burning wish dropped for me, my 3rd legendary.
      I have Shard of the Exodar and Cord of Infinity currently - and with the 7.2 changes to Cord of Infinity I don't know what to do/pick/run with?

Is Burning Wish still going to be BiS with 7.2, the changes to Cord of Infinity on PTR are pretty awesome, and as for Shard - two Time Warps per fight is pretty awesome too.

So, hence my dilemma lol...
      Forgot to add, I play Arcane.
    • By huneebunch
      Ok so raiding in guild, on Star Augur Normal im struggling to hit and stay consistent at 300K, yet when i did LFR i did 500K+ (lowest i went was 450K)
      Not doing anything different and its been like this with the other bosses. Followed the rotation guide and everything i'm doing is right, checked stats etc and they are right, but still struggling to get decent DPS.
      In our logs i am always in the grey (meaning im not utilising stuff more) but yet i have no idea how to change this as i am literally using cooldowns when i can and also doing my burn phase and conserve phase when i need to.

• By Elderran
      Arcane is a long standing guild based on the Arathor/Hellfire server. We have a strong core group of raiders and have made quick progress advancing to fully clearing both Normal and Heroic Emerald Nightmare and also Normal and Heroic ToV. We are currently progressing Heroic Nighthold where we are 6/10. We have also spent time in Mythic EN clearing 3/7 bosses. As of right now we are seeking both ranged and melee DPS to help make up our numbers to help out in completing Heroic Nighthold, assist in future Heroic Raiding and potentially be willing to join up and run Mythic raid content.
      Our guild is what the title says, Semi-Hardcore Raiding, we make sure to have fun while we raid whilst maintaining a serious attitude when needed to take down bosses. We have three raids nights, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 8Pm till 11Pm Server Time and we do ask that you sign up to the raids you can attend in advance. Our group aims to do the best we can in clearing the current content of the game. This means our current goals are to get all Heroic raid content on farm whilst tackling Mythic content whenever we feel able.
      Outside of raiding our guild regularly runs Mythic Dungeons, Keystones and other PvE content together, spending time farming old raids or clearing group dailies alongside even the occasional BG or Arena run.
      The classes we feel our raid team is currently lacking would be
      Death Knights of either DPS spec Retribution Paladin Elemental Shaman Druid of either DPS spec If you're looking to join us in part of our raid team we do have some requirements:
       Basic knowledge of raid bosses in advance of the raid. Try to know roughly what you'll be doing in a fight before we get to the boss!  An average Ilvl appropriate to the current content. Several of our members are happy to assist you in getting your Ilvl up whether its quick Mythics or joining our raids to get some easy loot.  Teamspeak 3. We use a TS3 server to communicate and co-ordinate together to take down bosses. You are in no way required to talk however we do need you to have the software to listen  Be ready to raid. Bring pots, runes, flasks to the raid along with the correct gems/enchants on your gear. (We only ask this for Heroic Progress/Mythic and even then, are completely willing to help out.) These requirements may seem steep to some however we are willing to help even players who have only raided LFR to take their first steps into the raiding scene. As long as you've got a brain and can listen then we are happy to help!
      If this sounds like something you'd want to be a part of or you simply have more questions feel free to shoot a mail to Eldadin in game. Alternatively you're more than welcome to whisper me/add me via Bnet at Elderran#2439
    • By Elementios
      Hi All,
      In the arcane mage guide it says: “Cast Arcane Explosion if you will hit 3 or more targets.”  Yet I find think the breakpoint is in fact from 2 mobs.

By my calculations
      ABlast = 192% (+6% for weapon talent) of SP in 2.25s = 92.7% spell power /s
      AE = 75% (+ 9% for weapon talent) of SP in 1.5s (since it's instant) = 54.4% of spell power / s.  Double that for 2 targets and you're at 108.7% SP/s >  92.7% spell power /s for ABlast

Both are equally affected by arcane charges and both have the same mana / s (2% mana for AE in 1.5s vs. 3% mana for ABlast in 2.25s).  Also in the conserve phase you’re doing 4 AC arcane barrage more frequently as you build through stacks quicker, which is great since ABarr hit's hard.   Finally those lucky kilt owners will mana up faster.  So lots of reasons to switch to AE from 2 mobs, assuming you can get in range.

So unless someone sees a flaw in this I think the guide needs to be amending