FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
archiillies

Prot Pally help DPS/rotation cd help

Hey as of yesterday i have started tanking for my guild raid team. I am pretty new to prot pally and my dps is just the bottom of the bottom every time. anyone have some pointers or can look at my logs and tell me just how newbie i really am? 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/0ae919e1-8db8-4817-a808-2dc9d41e1d42/report/138#v=0,d=0grull

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/0ae919e1-8db8-4817-a808-2dc9d41e1d42/report/140#v=0,d=0hans and franz

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/0ae919e1-8db8-4817-a808-2dc9d41e1d42/report/143#v=0,d=0beast lord.

all kills and we are having a major problem on flamebender. here is the log on our best attempt. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/0ae919e1-8db8-4817-a808-2dc9d41e1d42/report/145#v=0,d=0

armory - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Archiillies/simple

Looking at your stats, the first suggestion I would make is to add Holy Wrath as a filler, when your abilities that generate or use Holy Power are on cooldown. This will help, especially if you are using Glyph of Final Wrath. It also comes in handy for picking up a pack of adds without having to swap targets.

I personally use the Eternal Flame talent instead of Sacred Shield; it heals for more, Bastion of Glory boosts it by 14% (as opposed to 6% for Word of Glory), and it has a nice HoT component. I generally pop an Eternal Flame first, to get the HoT effect, and then use Shield of the Righteous until I get 5 stacks of Bastion of Glory, need to give my healers some help, or need to refresh my HoT. This is particularly effective if you take the Divine Purpose talent, instead of Holy Avenger, as each time you use Shield of the Righteous or Eternal Flame you get a chance to use it again, with 3 Holy Charge power, for free. Holy Avenger gives you bigger burst dps, while Divine Purpose gives a smoother, more even overall dps boost.

The only other thing I would mention is to make sure you're using your Holy Charge efficiently. Stack it up to 5 Holy Charge before using either Shield of the Righteous or Word of Glory/Eternal Flame, when you can. This way, if you end up in a situation where you need to use either one again quickly, you don't have to build up 3 more Holy Charge. Also, make sure you prioritize your Crusader Strike/Hammer of the Righeous over your Judgment; they have the same length cooldown, but Judgment deals less damage.

I'm gonna start with saying based on those logs, you aren't the "worst."  There are usually a DPS or two beneath you.  If we had more of the wipe logs, not just the "best," with more instances of being at the bottom, I'd be more worried.

Also, keep in mind that tanking isn't actually about competing with the DPS in your raid.  In fact, if you have more dps than any individual, I would worry less that you aren't good enough, and more that they aren't.  The only person you compete with is your cotank, for threat management.  After that, the only time I would get on a tank about their DPS is if we're losing to enrage and all the DPS are in their 95%+ bracket, or DPS are legitimately peeling.

With all that out of the way, here are some observations.

Holy Wrath hits hard.  Sanctified Wrath makes it your hardest hitting rotational, and generates HP also.  This is the greatest overall DPS gain at that tier of talent.  HA gives great burst, but less in the long run.  Also, as HA is also able to be used as a defensive CD, it will not always be utilized for optimum DPS.  DP gives greater survivability, but less DPS, and also has an unfortunate characteristic for RNG.

EF no longer double-dips to BoG.  SS pulls decently ahead in this tier at this time.

CS over Judge is true, but not for those reasons.  Judge actually hits harder than CS, but has a 6 sec base CD.  CS has a 4.5 sec base CD.  Ensuring CS is on CD means more HP over the fight, more SoTR, more DPS and survival.  Added benefit, CS and HotR can proc Grand Crusader again, for even more HP, as well as a nice DPS boost.

Lvl 100 is interesting.  For pure straight DPS, you can EmS straight Righteousness, but this is a massive survivability loss.  Seraphim is more balanced, but suffers from needing to pool HP.  HS actually provides decent DPS and solid survivability, passively.  Also, this DPS gain increases based on the number of attacks you take, making it very good in add-heavy fights.

For additional tweaks, on a single-target fight, make sure to take Focused Shield (making SW even more better).  Also, in a fight where there are many targets but only one kill target (like Tectus), Focused Wrath helps ensure your heavy hitter goes to the kill target, and is only a minor.  This may cause a slight loss in overall DPS (wrath cleaves to squishy non-priority adds within the execute range), but that's padding anyway, so who cares?

tl;dr - you're doin all right, there are some small tweaks, and good luck!