FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sydhart

Problems with Killing Spree on some bosses (AoE, Cleave, Etc)

I've been playing combat for a while now and loving it but I've been having issues, especially in BRF, when using KS on bosses. I can't count the number of times I've using Killing Spree on CD on bossed in BRF and either dieing, just about dieing and putting a strain on healers, or trying to time it in between mechanics so as not to screw/wipe raid but then getting my cooldowns all jacked up. For instance, I'll use KS and it will port me into a bad position and I'll get hit by overwhelming blows, berserker rush, overhead smash, or some other crap.  Is anyone else having issues like this?

So, do I switch to Assassination/Subtlety for Oregorger, Grull, basically any boss with a bad cone attack that can kill me? I've seen where some rogues macro CloS with Killing Spree but I like having CloS for emergencies. 

No. That's rather avoiding the problem than fixing itself.

The main reason you die for such attacks is timing. One of the subtleties of playing Combat is firing off your CD in the opportune moments, given it won't kill you. If you have ways to measure times, you can do it optimally without straining your healers or getting yourself frustrated because your toon jumped into fire while YOLOing.

As for fights, pick the specs that you can play more comfortably on them. I'm afraid this'll be MoP 2.0, where Combat will dominate endgame content again, but by then Sub still competitive on single target fights (eff u, Oregorger) and Combat on all else.

tl;dr: Frontal "rdy 2 eff u" attack going in next 4 seconds? Hold KS. Ended? YOLO.

You make more DPS holding those 4s than being dead.

Just to emphasize what lipsinch said, timing is key for a proper KS.

To use the two bosses you mentioned as an example:

Oregorger: Our melee shift in unison out of shards, so when a shard drops I'll shift, wait for it to explode, and then KS.

Gruul: This fight made me start using the KS minor glyph, which puts me back to the location from which I started KS. When Gruul goes on his rampage, I will wait until he just finishes a smash before I KS. This gives you enough time to finish KS and move out of any incoming damage.

I don't know if you have reached Blackhand yet, but KS timing is extremely important for that fight. If you are sloppy with KS against him you will die.

Fuzzy, thanks a ton for this suggestion.  I had forgotten about this Glyph. Changing to this glyph has pretty much solved this issue. 

Gruul: This fight made me start using the KS minor glyph, which puts me back to the location from which I started KS. When Gruul goes on his rampage, I will wait until he just finishes a smash before I KS. This gives you enough time to finish KS and move out of any incoming damage.

yeah - at Kromog use the glyph and do it either when he does his breath, the breath takes some seconds and while that you are not risking any of the other 2 devastating smashes he does or the white things you have to dodge, this has another funny upside, you get around 40% damage from the breath anyway if you dont use cloak (i combine it at the first breath) but if melee and tanks are so far from each others any you have only one healer to the melee camp, you might come in range of another healer with that :-) Dont know right now if its possible to get a heal while KS but if it is its an upside biggrin.png . Or use it after you killed your rune and help the others out of theirs.

Flamebender Ka graz use the glyph and combo it with cloak

Gruul use the glyph and dont do it in his rampage phase, in the other phase if you want to get really safe do it after overhead blow, if you dont play it that safe then at least skill cheat death so when it accidently happens you dont die

oregorger use glyph - like the other guy said after the shard

furnace i use glyph but not mandatory - timing doesnt matter

hansgar no glyph ! - not while in the stamp phase

darmac, no glyph - for dps increase use it on adds on normalmode use it on cooldown

thogar glyph or no glyph personal choice both has pros and cons - only use it on adds for dps increase, even delay the first killing spree until adds but dont delay adrenalinerush

Iron Maidens - glyph - if you have good tanks use it on cooldown, if marak doesnt stand at the farthest in the direction where you put the blooddebuff be careful. If so try to wait until the debuff is gone, you dont want to jump right into it. Well it rarely happens, but it could then. In the last phase you have to watch the towers and maybe combine it with cloak, but then u lose your debuff killer if you acciedntly hit a fireball.

Blackhand - no glyph ! - delay the first after the first mines when the boss got pulled out. And for the next ones watch the timers. You might even want to delay one because when you hit it when the next phase enters you killing spree him on the way down and land right on the boss and dont have to sprint to the boss. That happens at 70% and 30%.

In P2 you also have to be careful with the debuff (dont know the name now) with the Arrows on the ground to not get hit by this! (in any phase) Thats the worst that can happen, worse than hitting a mine which is also very bad. Normally as a rogue you dont go up on the balcony and kill the adds, but if you do dont use it on the adds, i think its a waste because you only get half the hits of before the adds are already dead. In P3 also caution with the Arrow-debuff and i usually use it either after the initial bombs/arrows are gone, but be careful you must watch the kick timer. If you are really pro, you can use it 0.1s after you get kicked, thats basicly the best timing of all, but extremely difficult, especially in smaller groups i wouldnt advise it. In bigger groups where its ok if 1 guy maybe doesnt hit it all the time its ok, but often if you try this you are either too early and dont get kicked or too late and you have to run to the boss back first. In that case be careful, another arrow-debuff and bombs come soon ..

[email protected]

Edited by xlx

Personally, I try to do glyph swapping as little as possible unless I'm really struggling on a fight and any positional disadvantage using the KS glyph may give you can be easily compensated for by Shadowstep.

Personally I just pop CoS with KS. It's not a perfect use of the CD, but it keeps me alive on most fights and the CDs are usually up around the same time.

Like others have said, I almost always pop cloak with KS, especially on fights like Flamebender where there is stuff all over the ground.