Damien

Heroes of the Storm Valla

Sign in to follow this  

22 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Valla build guide for Heroes of the Storm.

I am sorry but I am confused regarding Executioner talent.

You say that slow is a "rare" thing in HOTS but you just selected a talent that gives 40% slow during 2 seconds using Vallas W.

How is this "rare"??

Really confused about that reasoning it sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

I was wondering about the viability of a build I've been running with Valla as of late and it seems to perform rather well. I run a build based on siphoning arrow and am using it as a strong single target spec which seems to do rather well at burning down pretty much all heroes. I take siphoning arrow and vampiric assault for some self sustainability, then repeating arrow, strafe, frost shot for the slow, tumble and the vengeance/nexus frenzy depending on how the other team is playing. If the other team seems to push to far ahead in team fights I go with vengeance  for the insane burst if not i just stick with nexus frenzy. I've noticed that when combing siphoning arrow with the double strafe and the instant cooldown you can gank low health targets very well, especially when consistently changing lanes. 

I am sorry but I am confused regarding Executioner talent.

You say that slow is a "rare" thing in HOTS but you just selected a talent that gives 40% slow during 2 seconds using Vallas W.

How is this "rare"??

Really confused about that reasoning it sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

The reasoning behind the choices is that two seconds of slow only lets you land two attacks, which isn't much of a damage increase when compared to the trade-off. Executioner can be extremely strong under the right circumstances, however, I write guides with consistency in mind - not potential. If you have someone like Arthas on your team that can more or less permanently slow opponents, then Exec becomes outstanding. I can't really think of any other reliable examples, however.

Another point that is worth noting is that Executioner does not affect abilities. Certain particularly volatile team fights end in the duration that it takes for a Strafe channel to be complete, essentially voiding the talent's usefulness. A counter-argument could certainly be made for Rain of Vengeance. Anyhow, I always welcome viewers to experiment with talents, as only very few of them are actually objectively "wrong". Thank you for your feedback.

I was wondering about the viability of a build I've been running with Valla as of late and it seems to perform rather well. I run a build based on siphoning arrow and am using it as a strong single target spec which seems to do rather well at burning down pretty much all heroes. I take siphoning arrow and vampiric assault for some self sustainability, then repeating arrow, strafe, frost shot for the slow, tumble and the vengeance/nexus frenzy depending on how the other team is playing. If the other team seems to push to far ahead in team fights I go with vengeance  for the insane burst if not i just stick with nexus frenzy. I've noticed that when combing siphoning arrow with the double strafe and the instant cooldown you can gank low health targets very well, especially when consistently changing lanes. 

Hungering Arrow-related builds have made a bit of a comeback as of lately. I personally run such a build specifically against assassin-heavy compositions, where I know I may not be able to consistently attack, and where the sustain will be necessary. 

I find the build suffers heavily in terms of Mana management, and in general damage-dealing purposes, such as for taking out mercenaries. It can also be a tad dangerous to use Tumble offensively for the reset, though that's always to your personal discretion. Hungering Arrow is also notoriously bad while laning, due to its inability to be used through minions.

Really great guide, helped me alot.
But I found something interesting: Tempered by discipline actually can be of use, as discipline stacks are withering before hatred stacks, so basically hatred stacks are much easier to maintain.
I like that, its probably not worth it most of the time, but something to consider.

Really great guide, helped me alot.

But I found something interesting: Tempered by discipline actually can be of use, as discipline stacks are withering before hatred stacks, so basically hatred stacks are much easier to maintain.

I like that, its probably not worth it most of the time, but something to consider.

Hi,

That is a very interesting comment, and something I had not considered myself. You do point out - rightly again - that it isn't that useful. Well played.

1 hour ago, Craggles said:

Needs an update.

Could you perhaps let us know what you feel needs updating especially? I'm not doubting whether or not something does need an update, but it can often help our guide writers to get through reviews and updates much faster when people give feedback, rather than just a simple "needs an update".

Thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

Could you perhaps let us know what you feel needs updating especially? I'm not doubting whether or not something does need an update, but it can often help our guide writers to get through reviews and updates much faster when people give feedback, rather than just a simple "needs an update".

Thanks for your comment.

Well, valla got an entire rework. All talents have entirely changed. I have been checking the website for the past days as well to see your recommendations :)

keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

Thanks for your comment.

A lot of things changed with the latest patch: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20243513/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-september-13-2016-9-13-2016#Valla

• Like 1

For something like a full rework, it most likely takes more time to prepare and implement due to the amount of work and testing involved. Rest assured it will come soon.

On 9/16/2016 at 8:09 AM, Blainie said:

For something like a full rework, it most likely takes more time to prepare and implement due to the amount of work and testing involved. Rest assured it will come soon.

Pretty sure the guide was already updated by the time he posted, so I'm a bit confused.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxygen said:

Pretty sure the guide was already updated by the time he posted, so I'm a bit confused.

I'm confused now too. They said it needed a rework, I don't play Valla and now everything is bad :(

I think for Q build at lv 10 and 20 the strafe talents works better with that build playstyle as you don't use much auto hits. I use only that build when i play Valla and strafe complements it in the way to fill the time you need to wait before recast your QEQ combo to burst down opponents and in a while provide the healing you need while Q is in cd since your auto hits are not much useful and are usually dangerous to use against targets you should stay away from as much as possible like Valeera.

4 hours ago, Hanz39 said:

I think for Q build at lv 10 and 20 the strafe talents works better with that build playstyle as you don't use much auto hits. I use only that build when i play Valla and strafe complements it in the way to fill the time you need to wait before recast your QEQ combo to burst down opponents and in a while provide the healing you need while Q is in cd since your auto hits are not much useful and are usually dangerous to use against targets you should stay away from as much as possible like Valeera.

You will still be relying on your auto attack, so picking these talents is still good. The Heroic ability is up to personal preference at the moment, so you can pick the one you prefer. If you prefer StrafeStrafe, I recommend picking it, because picking the Heroic on Valla you can play better with improves your performance.

https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/talent-calculator/valla#25.0!3312214

I like to go this build for a normal game.

My only concern is to keep Hatred at max stacks, trying to maximize the Punishment damage or to use manticore means you have to play unnaturally.

Manticore's 3rd hit damage is about 120% of a normal basic attack when you have 10 stacks of hatred against a tank so its not too much.

Edited by Fransoa
  • Like 2

Question: In theory, could caltrops work better than monster hunter at level 1? In theory, the massive vault cooldown reduction would allow for many more procs of repeating arrow, overall creating a much higher dps. What do you guys think?

On 6/1/2017 at 1:37 AM, Niteshadow said:

Question: In theory, could caltrops work better than monster hunter at level 1? In theory, the massive vault cooldown reduction would allow for many more procs of repeating arrow, overall creating a much higher dps. What do you guys think?

Probably wayy too late for an answer but:

I believe so yeah. The cool down (once the quest is done) you could use last shots on minions to reset the cooldown and provided you get the hungering arrow out before reusing vault and if your aim is good under that pressure; you could probably pull off some amazing plays. Though there are too many "ifs" that one of the guide guys would say "no in general" it's worth investing in if you have a camp hunter already just for the vault escape if nothing else. Plus you get caltrops xD

Edit: my bad; I mixed up the talent at level 7 with this one :O The blue text is irrelevant and wrong
To also say; the guide guys would probably say no since they don't recommend the talent anyway but its not a horrible one; just one you need to practice.

Edited by MurkyFelix

On 1. 6. 2017 at 2:37 AM, Niteshadow said:

Sorry, I must have missed your question. 
In PvP absolutely, but you should be using Hatred build if killing heroes is your focus.
As for mercs, lane, and objectives. at level 10, you should be getting around 239 DPS with Monster HunterMonster Hunter and Repeating ArrowRepeating Arrow with Hungering ArrowHungering Arrow -> VaultVault -> Hungering ArrowHungering Arrow -> wait 10 seconds and repeat. With finished CaltropsCaltrops quest and Repeating ArrowRepeating Arrow, you should be getting 149 DPS, opening with Hungering ArrowHungering Arrow, and continuing with VaultVault -> Hungering ArrowHungering Arrow every 5 seconds. It is possible that I forgot something or miscalculated, so if I did, please do let me know. 

I can actually think of one good use for Valla's Seething Hatred talent at level 16: if you take Gloom, you can rebuild your stacks much faster and then be able to use Gloom again really quickly. This should only be done if you're getting repeatedly bombarded with spells and need more Gloom activations.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this