Valla Build Guide “Be vewy, vewy quiet...”
Welcome to our guide for Valla, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Valla is a highly versatile and flexible ranged damage dealer. Her strong points are her exceptional single-target damage and on-demand area of effect burst damage. However, her relative fragility makes her a high priority target for the enemy.
Valla's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Dependent on good positioning
- Low base Health
- Vulnerable to crowd control
Valla's Talent Build Cheatsheet
This burst build provides superior single-target burst damage and Mercenary Camp control at the cost of sustained damage and being weaker against mobile Heroes. Key Hungering Arrow-related Talents allow you to frontload your damage to threaten isolated enemies.
This specialised attack build provides superior sustained single-target damage at the cost of personal safety. Key Basic Attack-related Talents allow you to become a very threatening damage source, provided your teammates can protect you well.
Valla's Synergies and Counters
Valla is at her best when something stands between her and her enemies. Large, Healthy Tanks are particularly desirable as they draw attention away from Valla, and often provide their own form of crowd control for potential follow-ups. Otherwise, anything that can protect Valla is also desirable. Shielding effects are particularly impactful due to her limited Health pool.
As a frail ranged Assassin, Valla tends to naturally struggle against other high damage Assassins who have the ability to effectively gap close past her Vault's range or otherwise sneak up on her. With little in the way of self-peeling, make sure to stay near your Healer when possible against such Heroes, and make no bold attempts at outplaying your opponents.
As a well-rounded ranged Assassin, Valla is not particularly strong nor weak on many Maps. In general, it is better for her to remain accompanied while laning due to her relative frailty, something that should not be an issue for most Maps. A special mention should be made for Battlefield of Eternity, however, where her Hungering Arrow build really shines.
Valla's Tips and Tricks
- Hatred empowers Valla's Basic Attacks and increases her movement speed; try and attack something at least once every 5 seconds so that your stacks do not fall off.
- Hungering Arrow has a high Mana cost and will home unto undesirable targets, such as Minions and Summons; avoid using the Ability unless it is going to deal useful damage.
- Multishot is your main waveclearing tool. Its wide area of effect also makes it excellent for checking hidden areas, revealing Stealthed Heroes, and dismounting opponents.
- Vault can be used offensively, as a gap-closer, and defensively, to create space between yourself and opponents and dodge Abilities. Limit your offensive use of the Ability, as it leaves you vulnerable.
- Strafe's reliability goes up as opponents use up their crowd control Abilities; keep track of their Cooldowns, and remain on the move so as to minimise the chance you will be interrupted.
- Rain of Vengeance is better used as a follow-up or as a self-peeling tool than merely for dealing damage.
Role in the Current Meta
Valla's outstanding single-target sustained damage allows her to put an extreme amount of pressure on anything within her Basic Attack range. Her on-demand area of effect damage and poke allow her to reliably deal damage in all situations. A high base movement speed, Vault, and Frost Shot grant her respectable options for self-peeling, though they do not help her against crowd control.
Valla is extremely strong against Healer-heavy metas, as such Heroes do not typically have the tools to force her to play defensively to reduce her effectiveness. Picking her early during drafts may incite opposing players to choose dive-oriented Heroes, which must rely on playing aggressively and on very good coordination to succeed against her. Picking her later in a draft may leave her completely uncountered and able to freely deal her damage.
- 27 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Talents and builds reviewed and updated.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description for Strafe and Rain of Vengeance updated.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent section updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 30 Apr. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: January 19th
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- How to Become a Better Stukov Player
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: December 1st
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Hogger
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List