Valla Build Guide “Be vewy, vewy quiet...”
Welcome to our guide for Valla, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Valla is a highly versatile and flexible ranged damage dealer. Her strong points are her exceptional single-target damage and on-demand area of effect burst damage. However, her relative fragility makes her a high priority target for the enemy.
Valla's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Dependent on good positioning
- Low base Health
- Vulnerable to crowd control
Valla's Talent Build Cheatsheet
This standard build provides superior area of effect damage and ease of use at the cost of single-target damage. As key Talents, Fire At Will and Arsenal allow you to quickly achieve max Hatred, while also damaging multiple enemies at once with Multishot.
This build has 2 variations based on your Heroic Ability. With Strafe it is better to get Death Siphon at Level 20, along with Punishment at Level 16. However, since Rain of Vengeance does not have access to Death Siphon, it is better to get Talents to enhance your Basic Attacks at 16 and 20, such as Manticore and Farflight Quiver with it.
This specialised attack build provides superior sustained single-target damage at the cost of personal safety. Key Basic Attack-related Talents allow you to become a very threatening damage source, provided your teammates can protect you well.
This burst build provides superior single-target burst damage at the cost of sustained damage and being weaker against mobile Heroes. Key Hungering Arrow-related Talents allow you to frontload your damage to threaten isolated enemies.
Valla's Synergies and Counters
Valla is at her best when something stands between her and her enemies. Large, Healthy Tanks are particularly desirable as they draw attention away from Valla, and often provide their own form of crowd control for potential follow-ups. Otherwise, anything that can protect Valla is also desirable. Shielding effects are particularly impactful due to her limited Health pool.
As a frail ranged Assassin, Valla tends to naturally struggle against other high damage Assassins who have the ability to effectively gap close past her Vault's range or otherwise sneak up on her. With little in the way of self-peeling, make sure to stay near your Healer when possible against such Heroes, and make no bold attempts at outplaying your opponents.
As a well-rounded ranged Assassin, Valla is not particularly weak on any Maps. In general, it is better for her to remain accompanied while laning due to her relative frailty, something that should not be an issue for most Maps. Since she is good in long teamfights, she is excellent in maps that feature those, like Infernal Shrines, or Volskaya Foundry. A special mention should be made for Battlefield of Eternity, where her Hungering Arrow build really shines.
Valla's Tips and Tricks
- Hatred empowers Valla's Basic Attacks and increases her movement speed; try and attack something at least once every 5 seconds so that your stacks do not fall off.
- Hungering Arrow has a high Mana cost and will home unto undesirable targets, such as Minions and Summons; avoid using the Ability unless it is going to deal useful damage.
- Multishot is your main waveclearing tool. Its wide area of effect also makes it excellent for checking hidden areas, revealing Stealthed Heroes, and dismounting opponents.
- Vault can be used offensively, as a gap-closer, and defensively, to create space between yourself and opponents and dodge Abilities. Limit your offensive use of the Ability, as it leaves you vulnerable.
- Strafe's reliability goes up as opponents use up their crowd control Abilities; keep track of their Cooldowns, and remain on the move so as to minimise the chance you will be interrupted.
- Rain of Vengeance is better used as a follow-up or as a self-peeling tool than merely for dealing damage.
- With Fire At Will, in teamfights Gloom can be always used before using Multishot, as it will instantly restack most of the consumed Hatred.
Valla's Role in the Current Meta
Valla's outstanding single-target sustained damage allows her to put an extreme amount of pressure on anything within her Basic Attack range. Her on-demand area of effect damage and poke allow her to reliably deal damage in all situations. A high base movement speed, Vault, and Frost Shot grant her respectable options for self-peeling, though they do not help her against crowd control.
Valla is extremely strong against Healer-heavy metas, as such Heroes do not typically have the tools to force her to play defensively to reduce her effectiveness. Picking her early during drafts may incite opposing players to choose dive-oriented Heroes, which must rely on playing aggressively and on very good coordination to succeed against her. Picking her later in a draft may leave her completely uncountered and able to freely deal her damage.
- 25 Jun. 2021 (talents page): Updated Recommended Talents for Level 16 and Level 20.
- 25 Jun. 2021 (this page): Updated Talent recommendations for Standard Build.
- 04 Jun. 2021 (talents page): Talents and builds updated to better reflect current meta.
- 04 Jun. 2021 (this page): Guide updated to better reflect current meta.
- 18 May 2021 (talents page): Talents and builds updated after recent rework.
- 18 May 2021 (this page): Guide updated after recent rework.
- 27 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Talents and builds reviewed and updated.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description for Strafe and Rain of Vengeance updated.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent section updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 30 Apr. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to new format.
- Blizzard Offers Paid Time Off for Wednesday's Walkout Protest
- Activision Blizzard Employee Walkout Protest on Wednesday, July 28th
- Critical Open Letter Signed by over 1000 Current and Former Activision Blizzard Employees
- Lawyer Reviews of the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit (Videos)
- Ben Brode Talks About a Harrasment Situation, Reports and Firings and More
- Blizzard Staff Respond to Lawsuit and Internal Mails
- Updated: (Comments on Afrasiabi) Chris Metzen's Response to the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit
- Mike Morhaime, Former Blizzard CEO, Responds to the Lawsuit Allegations
- Heroes of the Storm Debug Mode
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Uther
- Heroes of the Storm Warhead Junction
- Heroes of the Storm Hanamura Temple
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List