Sottle

Sottle's Weekly Meta Analysis - Week of 05/04/2015 - 12/04/2015

Sign in to follow this  

10 posts in this topic

11857-sottles-weekly-meta-analysis-week-

Sottle's Weekly Meta Analysis - Week of 22/03/2015 - 29/03/2015

Hey guys, welcome back to another week of Meta analysis where we talk about the impact that Blackrock Mountain has had on the Meta.

Common Decks & Cards

Obviously the main topic of conversation this week is the effect that Blackrock Mountain has had on the Meta. The first thing that needs addressing on this subject, is the incredible power of Emperor Thaurissan, and the huge impact it has on the game. Although Emperor has so far failed to introduce any new decks into the meta, it is affecting the power level of various different decks, and is one of the most common cards in the game right now.

One of the biggest winners is Fast Druid. Emperor Thaurissan is a massively powerful tool in this deck, since it can be summoned early with Innervate to provide a persistent effect similar to Wild Growth as long as it sticks on the board. On top of this, it can be played it the late game to provide discounts on your Force of Nature and Savage Roar combo pieces and create easier access to the Double Savage Roar combo that usually requires an Innervate.

Aside from this, various combo decks like Freeze Mage have also benefited from Thaurissan. But even in regular Control and Midrange decks, you should be including Thaurissan, simply due to the overall power of the deck.

In terms of other new deck developments this week, Grim Patron Warrior has started to make a big splash, with numerous players, myself included, using it to climb to high Legend ranks. This introduces a new dynamic when facing a Warrior, since historically, you knew exactly what you were going to play against when you queued into a Warrior, now with a new archetype in the meta, you are not so sure.

Secondly, a new build of Mech Shaman has also made a big splash, both at the recent Seat Story cup, and on Ladder, with many pros brining the deck to the tournament, and multiple players exchanging rank 1 Legend, all playing the deck. This new build features Fel Reaver, which has been a very underutilised card so far, to great effect, creating huge amounts of aggression to overwhelm opponents.

Thirdly, Zoo has made a big comeback, with new more stable decks making an appearance, including both Dr. Boom for more late-game stability, and the new Imp Gang Boss to provide more hard to remove minions for your opponent to deal with.

Aside from this, the other BRM cards have failed to have too much of an impact on the Meta, Quick Shot has added some more power to Face Hunter, and there has been some experimentation with Gang Up to create additional copies of Coldlight Oracle in Mill Rogue, but many players are still waiting for more of the strong Dragon synergy cards to be released before the Meta really gets shaken up.

Class Power Rankings

1. Warlock

250px-Guldan-f.png?version=4bc860759dd1a

Common Decks: Demonlock, Zoo, Handlock
Demonlock Strong Against: Control Warrior, Zoo, Mech Mage
Demonlock Weak Against: Fast Druid, Face Hunter, Midrange Paladin
Handlock Strong Against: Priest, Control Warrior, Zoo
Handlock Weak Against: Face Hunter, Midrange Hunter, Fast Druid, Control Paladin
Zoo Strong Against: Fast Druid, Mech Mage, Mech Shaman, Midrange Paladin
Zoo Weak Against: Oil Rogue, Midrange Paladin, Face Hunter

2. Warrior

250px-Garrosh_Hellscream-f.png?version=a

Common Decks: Control Warrior, Grim Patron Warrior
Control Warrior Strong Against: Oil Rogue, Mech Mage, Zoo, Freeze Mage, Face Hunter, Priest
Control Warrior Weak Against: Fast Druid, Midrange Paladin, Midrange Hunter
Grim Patron Warrior Strong Against: Mech Mage, Zoo, Midrange Shaman, Midrange Paladin, Fast Druid
Grim Patron Warrior Weak Against: Handlock, Demonlock, Oil Rogue, Freeze Mage

3. Mage

250px-Jaina_Proudmoore-f.png?version=8f6

Common Decks: Freeze Mage, Mech Mage
Freeze Mage Strong Against: Zoo, Grim Patron Warrior, Midrange Paladin
Freeze Mage Weak Against: Face Hunter, Fast Druid, Control Warrior

4. Hunter

250px-Rexxar-f.png?version=3f80009401aa5

Common Decks: Face Hunter, Midrange Hunter
Face Hunter Strong Against: Zoo, Midrange Hunter, Demonlock, Handlock,
Face Hunter Weak Against: Control Warrior, Grinder Priest, Control Priest, Control Paladin
Midrange Hunter Strong Against: Control Warrior, Control Priest, Fast Druid, Handlock
Midrange Hunter Weak Against: Face Hunter, Oil Rogue

5. Shaman

250px-Thrall-f.png?version=55cd557d01b07

Common Decks: Mech Shaman
Strong Against: Mech Mage, Fast Druid, Handlock, Demonlock
Weak Against: Face Hunter, Freeze Mage, Grim Patron Warrior

6. Rogue

250px-Valeera_Sanguinar-f.png?version=1f

Common Decks: Oil Rogue
Strong Against: Midrange Paladin, Midrange Hunter, Zoo, Mech Mage, Grim Patron Warrior
Weak Against: Face Hunter, Fast Druid, Freeze Mage, Mech Shaman, Handlock

7. Druid

250px-Malfurion_Stormrage-f.png?version=

Common Decks: Fast Druid
Strong Against: Control Warrior, Freeze Mage, Handlock
Weak Against: Zoo, Mech Mage, Mech Shaman, Face Hunter, Midrange Hunter

8. Paladin

250px-Uther_Lightbringer-f.png?version=a

Common Decks: Midrange Paladin
Strong Against: Fast Druid, Control Warrior
Weak Against: Grim Patron Warrior, Oil Rogue, Zoo

9. Priest

250px-Anduin_Wrynn-f.png?version=dcf2a67

Common Decks: Grinder Priest
Strong Against: Face Hunter, Mech Mage, Zoo
Weak Against:
Handlock, Demonlock, Control Warrior, Oil Rogue, Grim Patron Warrior

That's all for now! Until next time, when hopefully we might have some cool new Dragon decks to talk about, happy laddering!

Sottle, could you give us a decklist and guide to the new Mech Shaman? Thx

It's coming up very soon, along with Mill Rogue. Sottle is currently really high on the EU ladder (#12 I think), so he had to buy a bunch of cards on the NA servers in order to test the new Shaman deck without it impacting his EU ladder rank smile.png

• Like 1

Fast Druid got a really big buff with Thaurissan, and Mech Mage is one of the best decks at stomping Druids, Freeze Mage also got a lot better with the addition of Thaurissan, and there's a lot of decent matchups around for it.

Zoo Strong Against: Fast Druid, Mech Mage, Mech Shaman, Midrange Paladin
Zoo Weak Against: Oil Rogue, Midrange Paladin, Face Hunter

so zoo is both strong and weak against palas? xD

nice guide overall,very informative.

Cool. Good luck on the EU server and I'm looking forward to your list and guide.

Let´s see... I who have never reached legend (guess my top was rank 12 a few seasons ago) I would make a deck with Fel Reaver like this:

- Upon seeing Fel Reaver your opponent will want to make you waste cards instead of removing it, so you end up messing with their curve because they will try to use as many cards as possible.

- Since Fel Reaver will not be removed, if you have enough healing power, you will keep it in the game for much longer and have to take that advantage to push for damage to face or use it for trading if needed... but since big minions are expensive, your opponent may not want to play them unless he/she is taking huge damage to the face.

- You will need silence and removal if you don´t want to trade your Fel Reaver for anything else... but I think silence is more important in order to bypass taunters to go face with it.

I guess that´s a lot of thinking to build the deck so here´s my take on it:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/shaman#33:1;73:1;77:2;256:2;270:2;386:2;396:1;557:2;636:2;12181:2;12182:1;12187:1;12191:2;12227:1;12241:2;12246:2;12264:2;12269:2;

Haven´t tried but maybe when I get Fel Reaver I will hehehehe

Hey sottle how are you? Im a big fan of the website and i always find decks here that are awesome. I really love to play druid specially ramp druid with the ancients of war and ysera. Can you put a ramp druid deck with the new cards please? Thanks :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zadina

A new video shows how much work went into creating the art, animation and sound of Kobolds & Catacombs.
      Ben Thompson and Jomaro Kindred talk about the artistic direction of Hearthstone's latest expansion, while Hadidjah Chamberlin explains how she brought life into the board by creating most of the expansion's card effects. Lastly, it's always impressive to see the voice actors at work; they are all very talented!

• By Aleco

The first week of K&C has brought has many surprises, including Corridor Creeper and the No-Minions Hunter deck.
      After just one week with the new Kobolds & Catacombs cards it feels a little early to declare a definitive tier list for the competitive ladder. It's safe to assume that the best decks from the previous format, Tempo Rogue and Highlander Priest, will remain competitive options in the K&C meta, but many new decks have already been discovered which appear more than capable of keeping up with the top decks from KFT.
      The first week of K&C has been packed with surprise stand-outs and unexpected strategies. A staggering number of powerful new Epic cards are defining a number of new archetypes, while a decent number of cards which were expected to define the meta have yet to find a home. To help catch you up to speed on the state of the ladder, let's count down ten of the biggest surprises from the still-developing K&C meta:
      #10 - Big Spells Mage

Five of the ten new Mage cards were designed around the Big Spells theme, yet Mage isn't even the class which is currently making the best use of Spiteful Summoner and Grand Archivist. Dragon's Fury was predicted to be one of the top cards in K&C but Big Spells Mage has failed to put up impressive results. Endemic Mage spells such as Frostbolt, Arcane Intellect, and Primordial Glyph drag down the power level of cards like Raven Familiar too far to justify their inclusion in Big Spells decks, yet the minion-based replacements for these cards have yet to prove themselves as suitable tools for controlling the board in the early game. With how aggressively the current metagame is shaping up to be, Big Spells Mage will need to find a way to control the board before turn five if it ever wants to compete.
      #9 - Druid Decks

Coming out of Knights of the Frozen Throne, Druid laid claim to three of the best decks in all of Hearthstone: Aggro Druid, Jade Druid, and Big Druid. Though none of these decks have become unplayable K&C, it'd be difficult to argue that any of them are Tier 1 options at the moment. Dire Mole was a huge pickup for Aggro Druid, the Master Oakheart/Dragonhatcher package has provided Big Druid with a consistent late-game plan, and Lesser Jasper Spellstone has given Jade Druid a meaningful tool for interacting with troublesome minions in the early game, but it seems as though the other classes have improved far more than Druid has. Druid's Recruit sub-theme has seen moderate success, and the archetype still has plenty of room to improve as the meta matures. Despite Druid's lackluster results so far, I'd expect that the class has far too many powerful tools to ever become irrelevant. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new-look Recruit deck start to put up results in the coming weeks.
      #8 - Tempo Mage

Tempo Mage was a deck that teetered on the edge of Tier 1 throughout the KFT meta, but it appears to have broken through in K&C thanks to Aluneth and Explosive Runes. Many pro players are calling Aluneth the best card in the set despite the fact that it only sees play in aggressive-slanted Mage lists. Tempo Mage has always done a great job at pressuring its opponent's life total, but Aluneth has given it the tool it needed dig for the Fireballs and Firelands Portals is often needs to close out the game. This is to say nothing of Explosive Runes, which has managed to exceed its lofty expectations and has cemented itself as a devastating tempo play off Kirin Tor Mage. Tempo Mage already feels like a well-oiled machine, and I expect the deck remain a consistent force throughout the K&C meta.
      #7 - Call to Arms

Before K&C was released there was a debate as to the best way to build a deck around this powerful new card. Should you throw it in a deck with Prince Keleseth to Recruit buffed-up one drops? Should you put in a Murloc based deck, even though Murlocs get a lot of their value from Battlecries? Should you try to fill your deck with powerful hits like Dirty Rat and Knife Juggler at the expense of having good two drops on curve? Yes, yes, and yes. It turns out that getting three minions onto the board from one card is pretty great no matter how you choose to set it up.
      Aggro Paladin is one of the three or four best decks in the current meta and still has plenty of room to improve, as the current iterations feel quite far from being finely tuned. It's clear enough that Call to Arms will be the focal point of Aggro Paladin lists going forward, and probably fair to assume that the deck will only get stronger as players discover the most powerful uses for it. Everybody expected Call to Arms to be a great card, but I don't think they expected it to be quite as omnipresent as it has been thus far. 
      #6 - Control Warlock

No deck picked up more cards from K&C cards than Control Warlock, a deck which deserves to be considered for early Tier 1 status. Voidlord gave the deck the trump card it needed to stall out the game against faster decks, while Rin, the First Disciple has provided it with the trump card it needed to beat other slow control decks. Both of these powerful late-game cards are held together by the massive bursts of lifegain the deck picked up from Dark Pact and Amethyst Spellstone, which simultaneously synergize with even more playable new cards from K&C: Kobold Librarian, Vulgar Homunculus, and Possessed Lackey. It seems as though Cataclysm is the only card from K&C which hasn't bolstered Control Warlock in some fashion, a fact which bodes well for the archetype's long-term viability.
      #5 - Spiteful Summoner 

Very few neutral cards from K&C are seeing more widespread play than Spiteful Summoner, a swingy new minion which is already responsible for birthing several new decks. Spiteful Summoner is the big payoff for Sattelite's Big Spells Dragon Priest, which has been my personal favorite deck from the first week of K&C. Many Pirate Warriors have shed their Upgrades! to play Spiteful Summoner as a devastating curve-topper with Lesser Mithril Spellstone, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few other aggressive decks attempt similar changes. I'm less confident in the staying power of Spiteful Summoner than I am with some of the other Epic minions we'll talk about shortly, but the card has already shown more promise in the first week of K&C than most players would have expected.
      #4 - Carnivorous Cube

Dedicated Deathrattle decks across all nine classes have struggled to put up results in The Year Of The Mammoth, having lacked a powerful payoff card other than N'Zoth as a reward for building around Deathrattle synergy. Deathrattle Rangers, Warlocks, Druids, and Priests seem to have found that payoff card in Carnivorous Cube.
      Carnivorous Cube generates decent value with minimal effort, netting two minions after it dies while providing a meaningful body when played on curve. It becomes devastating when combined with effects like Play Dead, Spiritsinger Umbra, and Faceless Manipulator, which break the symmetry of the card's Battlecry trigger. The best Cube list appears to be "Cubelock", which is capable of using Spiritsinger Umbra and Doomguard to one turn kill. Failing that, it can summon Voidlord a million times while making powerful tempo plays with Skull of the Man'ari and Possessed Lackey. I would very surprised if Carnivorous Cube wasn't featured in a few more viable decks that crop up in the coming weeks. 
      #3 - Leyline Manipulator

Leyline Manipulator was pegged by the Hearthstone community to be one of the top new cards from K&C, but after one week it's seeing virtually no play. Elemental Mage isn't close to being a competitively viable deck, and the Questless OTK Mage lists have failed to supplant the Quest-based versions. A major part of the reason that this card has underwhelmed is that it doesn't lower the mana cost of Shifting Scroll as players predicted it would. It seems unlikely that the Questless OTK Mage deck will suddenly discover a new piece of technology which will make the deck competitively viable, which rests the hope for Leyline Manipulator on the emergence of Lesser Ruby Spellstone and Elemental Mage. I wouldn't hold my breath.
      #2 - Corridor Creeper

It's probably fair to say that no card was more poorly evaluated by the Hearthstone community than Corridor Creeper. Most players (including myself) pegged Arcane Tyrant to be the next big thing, yet Corridor Creeper is the card from K&C card which is currently seeing the most widespread play. It's way easier to reduce the cost of Corridor Creeper to two or less than players expected before getting their hands on the card, which has made it a two-of inclusion in virtually every aggro deck in the current metagame. It's even starting to replace Bonemare in certain lists, implying that it's a better card than Bonemare. It's safe to say that crafting a pair of Creepers is a wise investment of dust, as we're likely to be seeing two copies of this card in every Hunter deck from now until it K&C rotates from standard. Well, almost every Hunter deck.
      #1 - No-Minions Hunter

Hi Reddit! Remember these cards?
      To My Side! was the laughingstock of r/Hearthstone when it was first spoiled, yet the No-Minions Hunter deck is currently posting higher winrates than any other Hunter archetype. To be fair, the best card in the deck is Lesser Emerald Spellstone, but there's absolutely no denying that Rhok'delar and To My Side! are powerful payoffs for what has been a viable deck in the early meta.
      No-Minions Hunter is very difficult to beat when it curves Greater Emerald Spellstone into To My Side!, but I have my doubts about the deck's staying power. It performs worse at higher ranks, suggesting that skilled players can find ways to beat it. If you can avoid getting blown out by Explosive Trap and Wandering Monster then you'll enter the midgame with a board advantage against No-Minions Hunter, which typically struggles to play to the board until turn five. Regardless, No-Minions Hunter is great against classes without 3 damage board wipes for Greater Emerald Spellstone, such as Rogue and Druid, and will likely remain a powerful yet meta-reliant deck for the remainder of The Year Of The Mammoth.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Cube Warlock Deck List.
    • By Zadina

Winter Veil begins next week on Hearthstone and a special Tavern Brawl will award three Knights of the Frozen Throne card packs.
      Next week's Tavern Brawl will be really similar to the Gift Exchange one back from 2015 and February 2017. There will be some differences though, as the Brawl will have a Kobold flavour and it will have a new name: Wacky Waxy Winter Veil's Brawl.
      As Winter Veil is a frosty season, the reward will obviously be three packs from Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion. It's not sure if the Winter Veil Wreath card back, which was associated with the Gift Exchange brawl during the previous years' Winter Veils, will be available this time to those who don't already have it.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      ‘Tis the season! In celebration of Winter’s Veil—and to give all you adventurers something to do that doesn’t involve taking candles—Greatfather Kobold has prepared a special distraction, er, Winter’s Veil tavern brawl packed with wacky, waxy gifts!
      These treats aren’t just on the game board! The reward for winning your first game of this Tavern Brawl is THREE festively frosty Knights of the Frozen Throne card packs! 
      Greatfather Kobold’s helpers have been busy decorating the Orgrimmar game board for the tavern brawl, but you can also experience the holiday in Stormwind while enjoying other play modes. And no matter how you play, don’t forget to show your opponent some holiday spirit with the return of the Happy Winter’s Veil greeting emote!
      The Rules
      Greatfather Kobold will drop off some tastefully wrapped, candle-bearing gifts on turn one—four on each side of the board, for a total of eight. If you unwrap a gift, you’ll receive a Legendary minion that costs three fewer mana to play! Greatfather Kobold will keep the celebration going by periodically parachuting in more presents. Don’t be greedy, though! You’ll only get a discounted Legendary minion from the gifts Greatfather Kobold left on your opponent’s side of the field.
      How will you build your deck to make the most of these potent presents?
      The Wacky Waxy Winter’s Veil brawl begins December 20 and lasts through December 24, so be sure to drop in and celebrate!
      A very Happy Winter’s Veil to you and yours! (source)
      For now, you can enjoy this week's Tavern Brawl, which is Valeera's Bag of Burgled Spells.
    • By Zadina

Following the tradition started with Knights of the Frozen Throne, Kobolds & Catacombs gets its first digital comic.
      "Up Comes Down" is a lighthearted story about two Kobolds, who decide to go off on their own despite the orders of King Togwaggle. In their short adventure in the Catacombs, they encounter many obstacles, but by cooperating they manage to emerge victorious.

You can read and/or download the comic here.