Omphale

DW Frost Help in 6.2

Sign in to follow this  

2 posts in this topic

First time posting here, hopefully can get some suggestions.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Omphale/simple

Heroic HFC Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LPRTH63vMr1GWdBF

Basically I'm trying to improve my DPS, but I'm having a lot of trouble.  I keep hearing how good dual wield frost is, and I really don't want to go back to Unholy.  My dps seems low in all my kills and my rankings are all like below 40th percentile.  It is only heroic HFC, but the frustration of not figuring out how to actually DPS to a higher efficiency is causing me to not want to play my DK anymore.

I'm currently using a rotation helper weak aura that I found on these forums (can't remember who's I tried several).  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

So, there are a couple of first notices for me:

#1 - I don't know exactly what this "rotation helper weak aura" is, but if it's something that's supposed to tell you which button you're supposed to push, don't use it. The best thing to do, for any spec, is to just learn the spec correctly on your own. No Weak Aura can help with some of the actual decisions you have to make. It's just like the old ret pally macros -- they could get you 85-90%, but they could never get you max or replace skill.

#2 - Don't use Runic Corruption. Blood Tap is the way to go by a considerable margin. It lets you have Soul Reaper exactly on cooldown. It makes nothing but desirable death runes, whereas a third of the runes produced by RC are undesirable unholy runes. Because it produces one, whole rune at a time, it can never force you into a situation where you have multiple runes capping out at once. The list goes on and on. Just make the switch and enjoy the gains.

Logs time. I'm going to compare you to myself, because I'm geared fairly similarly in terms of item level. I'm going to look at your Kilrogg Deadeye fight.

You had 106 Howling Blasts and 61 Obliterates. That is a huge number of obliterates. This comes from using Runic Corruption instead of Blood Tap. Fixing your talents will help fix this.

You had 15 Soul Reaper casts, 11 of which on Kilrogg, over the course of a 6:31 fight. Last week in our 5:00 kill, I had 14 and 10 on the boss. You're not using it as soon as they reach 35% and/or you're not using it on cooldown. My biggest suspicion is that you're not using it on cooldown, which is possibly being caused or at the very least contributed to by Runic Corruption in place of Blood Tap.

You only used Pillar of Frost 6 times. In a 6:31 fight, you have the opportunity to use it 7 times. You need to make sure you're using your cooldowns on cooldown.

Other things...

I strongly recommend Anti-Magic Zone over Purgatory. Most of the times you die, it's one of three cases: You slowly bleed out and die from a relatively small tick of damage, you eat a huge bunch of damage from some fight mechanic, or it's a wipe and the boss or an add punches you in the face. Purgatory certainly isn't saving you on the last one. In the first case, you're not likely to be saved by purgatory. If healers aren't healing you, you're just going to die a second or two later. You can Death Pact to get out of the range of Purgatory, but at that point you should have already used Death Pact. In the second case, you still can't count on Purgatory to save you. If you're taking a big hit, it's either unavoidable and you may or may not get the required healing in three seconds, or you screwed up a mechanic in which case you need to stop doing dumb things. Taking Anti-Magic Zone lets you bring another cooldown to the raid. There are a lot of fights that are pretty healing intense and have big, raid-wide damage. Another raid CD is great to have. Even on a fight where you're not going to be called on to use it, you can usually still use your head and find great places to use it anyway. On Kilrogg, you'd use it during Death Throes.

You never used Anti-Magic Shell during the fight. Ever. Not once. That's a HUGE no-no. You popped Icebound Fortitude, your health pot, and Death Pact twice without ever using AMS.  If you're going to take damage from basically anything except being punched in the face by an add, AMS should be your first choice since it's also a DPS increase. If there's nothing really going on in the fight but avoidable damage, use it on cooldown and intentionally get hit. For example, when we're doing Mannoroth, there's almost no damage for me to worry about. In the first three phases, my possible damage sources are MAYBE getting picked for Mark of Doom, negligible amount of damage from imp casts, helping soak Gaze, MAYBE getting picked by Shadowforce. Those are my unavoidable sources. The only one I can rely on doing any manner of damage to me is Gaze, so I use AMS whenever I can and intentionally get hit by Fel Hellstorm to cap out on Runic Power. Hell, I'll even stand on top of an infernal in melee for the extra RP.

In summary: fix your talents and use your cooldowns.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this