Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Odinn

hearthstone The Grand Tournament: Hero Powers

11 posts in this topic

13042-the-grand-tournament-hero-powers.j

Interactions with and improvements to Hero Powers are one of the thematic cornerstones of the upcoming The Grand Tournament expansion in Hearthstone, and today's card feature from Blizzard showcases a significant modification to Hero Powers - a permanent 'upgraded' Hero Power after playing the legendary Justicar Trueheart!

Here is the official announcement of Justicar Trueheart over on the Hearthstone blog:

Blizzard Icon The Grand Tournament: Hero Powers

Fueled by friendly competition and fun, the Grand Tournament is a marvelous event where the greatest heroes in the land put their mastery on display before adoring crowds. At the heart of every hero is a special something that gives them the power to rise above and achieve victory. Now those powers are poised to become even grander!

Today, we dive a little deeper into Hearthstone’s second expansion, The Grand Tournament, by taking a look at how cards from the upcoming set will interact with Hero Powers with the addition of our brand-new game mechanic and keyword—Inspire.

Hero Powers are the manifestation of heroic prowess and play a major role in The Grand Tournament. Many of the valiant minions who will be joining your cause with this expansion have a knack for meddling with Hero Powers, making some stronger, some weaker, and changing some around entirely! One minion even lets you use your Hero Power multiple times per turn!

AMLGTHRO0KKF1437668102022.jpg

Giants are a pretty regular sight in the Tavern—when they’re not on the board bringing the hurt, they enjoy quiet nights with friends by the hearth, just the same as you or I. The Grand Tournament introduces a new giant to the fray, one with a slightly frostier disposition. Don’t let his appearance fool you, though. Frost Giant may look like a cold character, but use your Hero Power enough and he’ll warm up to you quickly!

YL3JXWJ6FAX11437667992877.jpg

What’s better than a Hero Power? A BETTER Hero Power, of course! Justicar Trueheart will supercharge your classic Hero Powers to mighty new heights. Imagine blasting an enemy with Heal for four damage (with the aid of an Auchenai Soulpriest), or summoning exactly the totem you need, just when you need it, with Totemic Slam!

9AF0WKR3NB4J1437609632564.jpg

XF5N43RTI1EL1437609515635.jpg

Hero Powers have always been a cornerstone of the Hearthstone experience. The Grand Tournament introduces exciting new ways to bolster and change them that will make Hero Powers more heroic than ever.

CM Whirthun clarified on Twitter that this Battlecry will NOT affect non-standard Hero Powers:

What card are you most excited for out of the announced ones so far?

people on hearthpwn are saying that's the most OP card in the set over and over.like,really?

i don't see anyone actually cutting sylvanas or thaurissan for that card.

Justicar Trueheart will definitely shake things up. Most of the Hero Power effects are just doubled, the exceptions being Hunter, Shaman, and Warlock. I'm guessing they tested the Hunter dealing 4 damage and found it was too powerful. I feel like the Shaman has the least powerful upgrade as you will still be left with one single totem, although the ability to choose could be helpful. I can see myself grabbing a +1 spell damage totem to enhance the spells in my hand, or a taunt totem to protect a crucial minion.

The most powerful upgrade could be the Warlock. Drawing a card for 2 with no drawback sounds amazing. When I play Warlock I often find myself needing another card to finish off my opponent yet reluctant to tap because I know my opponent is also approaching lethal. Giving up no health would make it an easy, stress-free decision. 

Putting Justicar in my Auchunai Priest deck also sounds way too fun! I was planning to save my dust for another legendary, but I might have to change my plans. smile.png

people on hearthpwn are saying that's the most OP card in the set over and over.like,really?

i don't see anyone actually cutting sylvanas or thaurissan for that card.

I assume you're referring to Justicar?  I don't know if it's overpowered or not, but we don't yet know how it will interact with other cards in the set. One thing seems clear to me - it sounds way too fun to not try it out!

I assume you're referring to Justicar?  I don't know if it's overpowered or not, but we don't yet know how it will interact with other cards in the set. One thing seems clear to me - it sounds way too fun to not try it out!

fun card for sure,but to say it's going to be a game changer that everyone is going to run is pushing it imo.

also remember that the 6 mana card slot is already quite crowded with good cards even before the expansion comes out,so the card will have to be completely ridiculous for people to include it.

I really think that Justicar Trueheart won't see much competitive action, mainly because its stats are rubbish. It's very likely that she's dead next turn if you play her, which means that you won't get to use your more powerful hero power at all. Even if you do manage to use it once, I think it's not worth it to replace her with something like Thaurissan or Sylvanas. Still, seems to be fun card with unique card text.

Also answering to Odinn's question, I'm hyped for the Frost Giant. Has great synergy with Hand Lock, and possibly other classes aswell, aslong as the meta isn't too aggressive (gotta play them cards to prevent that rush, ain't possible to life tap then :D)

I really think that Justicar Trueheart won't see much competitive action, mainly because its stats are rubbish. It's very likely that she's dead next turn if you play her, which means that you won't get to use your more powerful hero power at all. Even if you do manage to use it once, I think it's not worth it to replace her with something like Thaurissan or Sylvanas. Still, seems to be fun card with unique card text.

Also answering to Odinn's question, I'm hyped for the Frost Giant. Has great synergy with Hand Lock, and possibly other classes aswell, aslong as the meta isn't too aggressive (gotta play them cards to prevent that rush, ain't possible to life tap then biggrin.png)

this is actually not true,because her ability is a battlecry,which means it will persist even after she dies.

i just don't think her ability is as useful as people are making it out to be,even being permanent.

"yay,now i can heal my minions for 4 health"

"yay,now i can deal 2 damage to everything on the board,except it's turn 6 and everything has more than 2 hp"

"yay,now i don't deal damage to myself when i life tap!except i didn't care about my life total to begin with."

yeah,i just don't see it working on many decks,but who knows,maybe the next few cards will manage to change my mind.

this is actually not true,because her ability is a battlecry,which means it will persist even after she dies.

i just don't think her ability is as useful as people are making it out to be,even being permanent.

"yay,now i can heal my minions for 4 health"

"yay,now i can deal 2 damage to everything on the board,except it's turn 6 and everything has more than 2 hp"

"yay,now i don't deal damage to myself when i life tap!except i didn't care about my life total to begin with."

yeah,i just don't see it working on many decks,but who knows,maybe the next few cards will manage to change my mind.

Wow, I must be blind, didn't notice it's Battlecry... now I'm not sure what to think about the card, lol :D

You have to keep in mind the focus of the new set of cards, which is to encourage you to use your hero power more. A permanent upgrade to your hero power in a deck already focused on using that power all the time seems like a great fit to me. Yes, Justicar will die to most 2-cost minions, but it's still another creature on the board that your opponent has to deal with. And the effect will (hopefully) make up for any tempo lost.

I'm not saying this is suddenly the best 6-mana card in the game, but I definitely think it has good potential. And even if it doesn't stick around in the meta long-term, I think it will definitely see a lot of play for a while as people experiment with the possibilities.

justicar is actually pretty good in midrange hunter, if u use your normal hero power three times you do 6 damage but with justicar you can do 9 damage in three turns and with lock and load things like arcane shot + hunter's mark will be competitive and now hunter will become more broken than it already is. :'(

justicar is actually pretty good in midrange hunter, if u use your normal hero power three times you do 6 damage but with justicar you can do 9 damage in three turns and with lock and load things like arcane shot + hunter's mark will be competitive and now hunter will become more broken than it already is. :'(

sure,because people will totally cut savannah to play a card that has no effect on the game until around 4 turns later.