FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
menace97

Looking for a Leveling Guide for 1-85 for Demo or Destro

i'm new to icy veins, and i really am enjoying a lot of the content here. i'm very glad a friend pointed me in this direction.

my favorite class is the warlock, and i have been leveling and playing them as affliction for so long, i thought it would be fun to finally try leveling a lock with a different specialization. i'm having a hard time finding information or guides on leveling a demo or destro warlock from the beginning (1-85). i see lots of information here on affliction of course, as it is my spec of choice and seems to be a favorite among many locks. I have looked through all the warlock guides and leveling guides which focus on leveling through pandaria (85-90).

so i feel a bit lost as to starting out as say a demonology warlock for the first time, and leveling her up - what spells to use, the rotations, etc. using the current guides, as they are geared towards end-game content, i feel lost as to how to progress through the levels with new spells and abilities as they come.

does anyone know of a good place to look for help with starting out and leveling as a non-affliction warlock? this seems like a fantastic environment for lovers of wow and i'm glad i finally found my way here. i would really appreciate any direction or assistance.

thank you.

When I leveled my Warlock through Pandaria, I WISH I had been Demonology. I leveled as Affliction to gain an understanding of it since I knew that's what I would be raiding as, but after seeing all the abilities and passives of Demo, I would have definitely rolled that way.

That said, I got my fiance hooked up her Warlock and she's been leveling Demonology while playing The Sims on her iPad. It's that easy. All you have to do is take your Wrathguard as soon as possible, use Hand of Guldan, and spam Shadowbolt. When you fight something hard or pull too much, pop Metamorphosis. As you are leveling, you'll really only need 3 spells: Shadowbolt, Hand of Guldan, and Life Tap. Spam these all the way. When you pop into Meta, Shadowbolt turns into Touch of Chaos which is just an instant Shadowbolt.

At level 15, take Dark Regeneration. Create the following macro:

#showtooltip Dark Regeneration

/cast Dark Regeneration

/use Healthstone

Use this anytime you're in trouble. This will heal you from 10% to 100% over about 4 seconds.

At level 30, take Mortal Coil as another self-heal on a short CD.

At level 45, take Dark Bargain and use in emergencies.

At level 60, take Unending Resolve. Any time you get bad magic stuff on you, pop this bad boy and you'll be free.

At level 75, take Grimoire of Supremacy. Your Felguard will become a Wrathguard.

I THINK you get a Felguard at level 44...until then, use your Felhunter for DPS. Keep Threatening Presence on so that they are a mini tank for you.

For single target while questing, use Hand of Guldan and spam Shadowbolt.

For a lot of targets while questing, use Felstorm/Wrathstorm, Hand of Guldan (it has an AoE effect), and pop Metamorphosis for Touch of Chaos spam.

For dungeons and single target, use Hand of Guldan, apply Corruption, use Shadowbolt until you have high amounts of Demonic Fury, then go into Metamorphosis and spam Touch of Chaos. You can put Soulfire on your bar, but only cast it if you have charges of Molten Core.

For dungeons and AoE, use Hand of Guldan twice then Hellfire and use Wrathstorm/Felstorm on CD.

For defensive abilities, you'll have Dark Regeneration, Mortal Coil, and Unending Resolve. You'll also have Healthstones which are a valuable commodity. Use them often when needed.

• Like 2

thank you so much Zagam! i really appreciate all the great info you had for me, and others curious about trying another spec for their warlock.

i am at level 19 and giving your suggestions a try - i just got hand of gul'dan so that should change things up for sure. as with anything new, this feels really awkward and strange, but it's cool to be trying something a little different. playing affliction so long, and especially just re-learning how to play affliction makes this, like i said, awkward.

the macro is great, thank you!

i'm trying to figure out the general 'feel' of demonology, and i guess i'm having a difficult time adjusting to how this feels like it's focused on the demon, or i'm guessing being the demon myself at times. being that this is new, i'm trying to figure out what the purpose of metamorphosis is - you 'become' the demon. is there a reason why one would use the ability 'demonic leap' instead of just simply metamorphosis? and Zagam, you say just pop into metamorphosis when things get a bit rough. so is it ideal to be in demonic form say half of the time? i'm finding i want to cast corruption on every target, as i sometimes fall into my affliction ways, but i see that is not available while in that form.

i'm playing around with it, and with your (much appreciated) help, learning a new aspect of the lock class.

thank you very much for your time and advice! :)

hopefully others will find this useful too, as i still haven't been able to find many resources that are current regarding demo and destro changes - specifically leveling BEFORE MoP. so thanks again my friend!

Level as demonology.

Sorry, I'm not going to figure out what spells you get as you get them, but toward the later end just can't die and you can pick up as many enemies as possible and aoe like no one else in the game can.

You'll kill everything at least 4 times faster than the other specs also (and later at lvl 90 will get your dailies done that much faster also), demo really is the most amazing spec in the game for aoe, i.e. trash killing.

Basically just run as fast as you can putting corruption up on everything, then drop a hand of guldan when a few enemies are together chasing you. Your felguard will be killing them the whole time as well, put his Felstorm ability on your bar or keybind that you use a lot, and Felstorm when you have a few enemies also, which will pretty much kill them on its own. After you've built up a decent mob, pop meta, immolation aura, and harvest life. You can doom a couple if you picked up any stronger adds. Clean up the last couple of stronger stragglers with touch of chaos. Keep running and switch out of meta to put corruption on the next wave of monsters and rinse and repeat. You get a lot of fury for every monster you kill, so once you start doing this, you'll always have a lot of fury, if not maxed, and you'll just be an unstoppable killing machine.

Super easy, you can use curse of elements on guys too as you're running if you want, or you can be REALLY lazy and not single target anything and just run around with hellfire on and then aoe everything with harvest life and not pop meta until after you have a few kills and got fury from that (and harvest life).

Take the harvest life talent for sure, then I recommend shadowfury, after you've collected a big mob shadowfury them and it will stun all of them while you destroy them, Dark Bargain, Unbound Will (to get yourself out of a stun), and I recommend Supremacy when you get there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Babblet
      About us:
      Looking for a new raiding home? <Concordant> on Turalyon is recruiting! We are a progression oriented guild consisting of working adults (18+). We work to conquer as much raid content as possible during our set schedule, as well as Mythic 10+ keys every week. We are a long-running guild that values high attendance, positive raiding attitude, personal effort, and a friendly, team focused raid environment.
      Raid Times: Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 - 11:30 PM EST
      Progression: https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/turalyon/Concordant
      Recruitment Needs:
      Blood DK Brewmaster Monk Rogue Shadow Priest Windwalker Monk We also consider other classes!

Contact on Battle.net or Discord only, do not respond or send PMs on Icy-Veins.
    • By Dredd
      Gangland   Benediction | Alliance | Semi-Hardcore| Tuesday/Thursday 8-11pm EST We’re a large guild originally from retail WoW (Tichondrius) looking to transition into Classic WoW raiding and build upon our 200+ players. Leadership and community consist of individuals that have been playing together for over a decade! Our immediate goal is to round out our roster for clearing Molten Core by the end of October. We’re currently focused on running pre-BiS guild premades and power leveling those that play high need classes. Currently in need of Mages and Druids, but everyone can earn their way into a consistent 40-man raid group. We will conduct a loot council for our raids to ensure the most deserving of individuals are rewarded for their hard work. We’re looking for high active, extremely dedicated, top performing players that are looking for a new home to kick it. So as the great Suge Knight once said, "all you players out there, who don’t want to be in a guild where the GM and his officers… take all the loot, all the crafting material, benched… then come to Gangland!"   Recruiting: 🐈 Druids 🧙‍♂️ Mages 🗡 Rogues 👼 Priest     Raid Information: Times- Tues/Thurs 8-11pm EST. 3rd Day Optional Loot: Loot Council Off Days- BiS dungeon runs and professions farming     Expectations & Guild Rules: - No “spergy” behavior or the use of “gamer” words - Be prepared and knowledgeable - For raids and guild functions, be on time and reliable - Be a selfless player. The guild comes first - Strive to be the best version of yourself. Being content as a mediocre player is not acceptable   Our Discord is available for anyone who is interested in joining or wanting to get to know the guild. Simply message: Dredd#1487, Lodoc#2312, or Swifthaze#6664   DISCORD https://discord.gg/VuWHtcH
    • By Dredd
      Gangland   Benediction | Alliance | Semi-Hardcore| Tuesday/Thursday 8-11pm EST We’re a large guild originally from retail WoW (Tichondrius) looking to transition into Classic WoW raiding and build upon our 200+ players. Leadership and community consist of individuals that have been playing together for over a decade! Our immediate goal is to round out our roster for clearing Molten Core by the end of October. We’re currently focused on running pre-BiS guild premades and power leveling those that play high need classes. Currently in need of Mages and Druids, but everyone can earn their way into a consistent 40-man raid group. We will conduct a loot council for our raids to ensure the most deserving of individuals are rewarded for their hard work. We’re looking for high active, extremely dedicated, top performing players that are looking for a new home to kick it. So as the great Suge Knight once said, "all you players out there, who don’t want to be in a guild where the GM and his officers… take all the loot, all the crafting material, benched… then come to Gangland!"   Recruiting: 🐈 Druids 🧙‍♂️ Mages 🗡 Rogues 👼 Priest     Raid Information: Times- Tues/Thurs 8-11pm EST. 3rd Day Optional Loot: Loot Council Off Days- BiS dungeon runs and professions farming     Expectations & Guild Rules: - No “spergy” behavior or the use of “gamer” words - Be prepared and knowledgeable - For raids and guild functions, be on time and reliable - Be a selfless player. The guild comes first - Strive to be the best version of yourself. Being content as a mediocre player is not acceptable   Our Discord is available for anyone who is interested in joining or wanting to get to know the guild. Simply message: Dredd#1487, Lodoc#2312, or Swifthaze#6664   DISCORD https://discord.gg/VuWHtcH
    • By RelliksPast
      Introduction
      This build is fairly interesting, and relies on two commonly overlooked aspects of the Necromancer's kit. The first being Maltorius' Petrified Spike, a legendary item that boosts your bone spear by 700%, and Bone SpearTeeth, a skill that sprays half the map in death and shoddy dentistry. The Spike itself has fairly terrible stats, but it's unique ability and enough intelligence make up for this aspect.

Gameplay and Strategy
      This is a very easy build to execute and yields extraordinarily high results. It's more of a medium range build, with plenty of variance as it only relies on a small combo. The rest of the build is mostly just to optimize the amount that you can use Bone SpearTeeth and making sure you survive well, with a fair bit of boss killers, such as Command SkeletonsFrenzy and Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. You can alter the range and play style with substitutions, and overall this is a very solid and general build for beginners and experienced players alike. 

Your main combo rotation is going to be using  SimulacrumReservoir and spamming Bone SpearTeeth. Then follow up with Corpse LanceBrittle Touch to finish off any remaining units. Corpse lance does not consume any essence to cast, and is very resource efficient while still dishing out significant damage. You may ask, why pick these runes. Well, Reservoir provides more resource, Brittle Touch helps with higher health bosses, and Teeth is actually a bit complicated. Now this may be a bug, but it certainly seems like the splinters from Bone SpearTeeth do too much damage, especially when combined with Maltorius' Petrified Spike. Because of this damage, you can easily clear massive waves and bosses alike. 
      Your other core skill is going to be Blood Rush. Every class ought to have a mobility skill in order to more efficiently clear floors and to speed up your farming. I prefer to use Molting to start a Corpse Lance chain in adventure runs, but the rune you choose is mostly up to preference. Potency is also a powerful rune, especially if you choose the close range variant of this build

Other skills include your essence regain, either Grim ScytheDual Scythes or Siphon BloodPower Shift.  I like Dual Scythes simply because its a larger area (and therefor more essence), pulls enemies in front of you, and efficiently lines up the highest damage Bone SpearTeeth. An alternative to Dual Scythes is Grim ScytheExecution or Grim ScytheCursed ScytheSiphon BloodPower Shift is an excellent choice for melting bosses when low on essence. Other options include Siphon BloodSuppress, Siphon BloodBlood Sucker, or Bone SpikesBlood Spikes. Your choice of basic attack will determine your range for this build. Keep in mind that Teeth does more damage close up (like a shotgun) but due to Maltorius' Petrified Spike you can still use it at a range to great effect. For your non-combo damage ability, you want to choose based on your range. If you choose Siphon Blood, pick Command Skeletons with either Frenzy or Kill Command. If you choose Grim Scythe, go with either Bone ArmorDislocation or Death NovaBlight. Death nova does significant AOE damage, while Bone Armor is primarily a defensive skill, especially useful to preserve your Blood Rush cooldown. I personally prefer Frenzy for ranged and Bone ArmorDislocation for a closer range build. 

Passives
      Your passives will once again depend on your variant of the build. You will want Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power regardless, but the other two slots will vary.  Overwhelming Essence and Blood is Power are both integral skills to any ability and cooldown-based build. You want to minimize your cooldowns, and despite the intimidating requirement of Blood is Power, it triggers rather often. It counts premitigation damage, meaning damage before your armor and resistances. In any high level battle, you will proc this passive often. Overwhelming Essence is rather straightforward, as it simply increases your resource. 

For the close range variant, I would recommend Stand Alone and Draw Life. Together, these passives will make you significantly more bulky and make up for a lack of sustain within your skills. An alternative to Draw Life is taking Life from Death and DevourSatiated over Corpse LanceBrittle Touch. This will somewhat lower your damage to bosses, but provide for more spam and sustain overall. 
      For the range variant, I would Aberrant Animator and Final Service. These both combine nicely with your Command Skeletons, while Final Service helps to improve your general lack of tankiness. Aberrant Animator gives your skeletons double your Thorns damage, while Final Service is your cheat death mechanic. 
      Skill list
      A- Grim ScytheDual Scythes/Siphon BloodPower Shift
      B- Bone SpearTeeth
      X-  Command SkeletonsFrenzy/ Command SkeletonsKill Command/Bone ArmorDislocation/Death NovaBlight
      Y-  Corpse LanceBrittle Touch
      ZL-SimulacrumReservoir
      ZR-Blood RushMolting/Blood RushPotency

Passives
      Overwhelming Essence Blood is Power Stand Alone / Aberrant Animator Draw Life / Life from Death / Final Service  
      Now, into the parts that honestly don't matter nearly as much. Most of the build is in your hands, now this is just the nitpicky optimizations that I will honestly spend far too much/little time on. For the next sections I will be discussing gear, gems, Kanai's Cube, and paragon points. 
      For Gear I recommend going for a Legacy of Dreams build. This is rather standard, gives you an insane damage boost, and overall is versatile and workable. Make sure that you haveMaltorius' Petrified Spike. Another recommendation is your helm. Leoric's Crown is ideal for general battling, but Broken Crown is my preference for base gem farming, for hopefully obvious reasons. Honestly, just use common sense. LoD builds are incredibly player dependent, and you can build them just about however you want. Just prioritize whatever will feed into the general gameplan of spamming SimulacrumReservoir and Bone SpearTeeth. 
      For Kanai's Cube, you want to slot in Reilena's Shadowhook as your weapon, Krysbin's Sentence for jewlery, and the worse of either Reaper's Wraps or Nemesis Bracers. Shadowhook scales your damage based on your maximum essence, and with Overwhelming Essence and SimulacrumReservoir you're pretty well maxed out on your essence. 
      For Paragon Points you want to basically use common sense. This build is an ability spam build with limited sustain. Play to that. For example, you want to invest heavily into Essence, Cost Reduction, and Cooldown reduction. As far as defense, I recommend investing in armor so that Blood is Power is easier to proc. 
      For  Gems you should put Bane of the Trapped, Enforcer, and Legacy of Dreams in your ring slots. Zei's Stone of Vengeance is a solid alternative. For your Helm, slot in  Flawless Royal Topaz to provide resource cost reduction or Flawless Royal Diamond for CDR. Personally, since this is a teeth build you should go Topaz. For your weapon, you should go Flawless Royal Topaz if going the ranged build, and Flawless Royal Emerald for the close range build. And for your other slots, you should go (you guessed it) Flawless Royal Topaz. In my honest opinion, Topaz is the best base gem for necromancer. It provides Intelligence, thorns, and resource reduction. Sure, the thorns are only especially ridiculous with Aberrant Animator but once again, topaz is a godsend for Necromancer. 

Changelog: 10/2/19 Fixed some grammar errors, clarified poor usage, and added more details to the build