FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Demonology Tips and Quirks

Yet he calls us "lesser creatures."  Moron can't swing an axe when I tell him to.  At least the Wrathguard "lives to serve" me.

• Like 2

"What happened to your friends?"

"Well, you see... I was trying to kill that engineer over there, but then my Chaos Bolt decided to miss because orcs are silly, and then they all kinda died. Wanna have a tea party while you're here?"

• Like 1

"What happened to your friends?"

"Well, you see... I was trying to kill that engineer over there, but then my Chaos Bolt decided to miss because orcs are silly, and then they all kinda died. Wanna have a tea party while you're here?"

Big Papa Locky is only at 2, so eat it and smell my feet.

Reading the words Big papa locky made me actually cringe

• Like 2

Big Papa Locky is only at 2, so eat it and smell my feet.

Carried by gear.  Scrub bucket.

• Like 1

I didn't know you recorded yourself dancing when you beat me in DPS!  You're a suave mofo.

When do you use 2nd charge of Dark Soul? Most of the time we open with BL and I try to use both charges in first 50 seconds (sometimes I delay 2nd charge 5-10 seconds to gain some fury) but is it better to save 2nd charge for a possible double trinket proc or execute phase?

Yeah don't do that. Your initial super Doom lasts almost 90 seconds. I tend to not overwrite that unless I get a BBoY proc and it has 20 to 30 seconds remaining. If you have meta gem up too and can force 2pc to proc, even better.

Otherwise just save it for a nice BBoY proc or for execute.

I have gone back to demo and trying to get better at it so was wondering .....

When trying to 'bank' demonic fury how much do you try to get without any proc's or buffs so you can pop meta and then use soul fire or touch of chaos.

Also do you guys , when in meta form do you use touch of chaos to maximise corruption to it max time and then use soul fire to do even more damage?.

As long as you don't hit 1000 Fury you're fine. You usually make a judgement call as to how much you should spend based on HoG weaving. For example if I jump into Meta after a HoG weave at 900 Fury, I'll happily ToC down to ~700 as if I was to jump back out straight away, I'd likely end up capping and be forced to jump in before then.

Obviously trinkets and/or movement change the flow of this, but that's how I approach it.

I try to only go into Meta if I have a trinket proc up or if I'm HoG weaving. As such I'm trying to maximise Soul Fire damage here. Again, this requires decision making on the fly - how much Fury do I actually have? How many stacks of MC do I have? When is Dark Soul and PBI going to be ready? You might have 8 stacks of MC and 900 Fury and 40 seconds left on Dark Soul. In this instance if I get a BBoY proc, I'll jump in at like 3-4 stacks and just crank out like 5 Soul Fires. 

Conversely, if BBoY procs but DS and PBI is only 15 seconds away, I might jump in at 5 stacks, ToC a few times, and only cast 2 Soul Fires in order to stay above 5 stacks of MC.

It's all subjective and you just need to play it more to get a feel for it. A lot of people play Demonology quite differently but get similar results. It's awesome.

thanks for letting me know ,

I understand that with stats you can be flexible with them but looking at ask Mr robot

at 16800 haste , my haste and my mastery are pretty much neck and neck with mastery just up a little more,

what im trying to say , is , how can I find out if this is better for me than the 14880 haste I already have (because is is destro )

and I do want to fully try demo so im prepared for WoD, or should I stay with 14880, (or am I making this far too complicated than It should be lol)

Nalar, you're overthinking it. 14880 is a perfectly viable haste rating for Demo to play at, and you won't suffer for not going up to 16800 or more. It's all personal preference what haste threshold people go to. Stats will have a negligible effect on dps when compared to your playstyle.

I just started playing demo (switched from destro) and am trying to get comfortable with it so I'll be all set when 6.0 hits as I'm changing from mage to warlock for the expansion. Last night I logged a flex 3 to practice demo and to see if I could get any feedback from more experienced demo locks. I know I could use a bit of work on my doom uptime as I let it drop without noticing and I didn't 2nd pot as well as line up my DS with my PBoI very well (who knew 2 charges would be difficult to manage). I should also setup a couple of weakauras to show me MC stacks and my fury in a more convenient place. I'm sure I'll get better with more play, but everything right now feels like I'm focused on trying to get the "rotation" correct and paying less attention to the fight than I should. Any help is much appreciated!

Here's the log:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LKJgTwytkpvMf8cC#fight=2&type=damage-done

Here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Darkdebt/simple

Edited by thingy

1. Got a BBoY?  KTT is rather lackluster for Demo since a large portion of your damage comes from pets that cannot proc Multistrike.

2. Messing up Doom has a lot of bad effects.  You miss out on damage, Imp procs, and then resulting DF generation.  It looks as if you decently snapshotted Doom as the average tick was good.

3. You have a lot of Shadowbolts.  There are a LOT of ways to play Demonology to a high level.  You can focus on Soul Fire or you can focus on ToC.  It looks as if you're the Soul Fire bit, so your Metamorphosis uptime suffers a touch (36% versus 40-45% from my logs), but you pushed some mega Soul Fires.  Because you used ToC 28 times, you still manually reapplied Corruption 6 times.  Each of those globals could have been used with a ToC to extend Corruption.  Don't try to snapshot Corruption as it doesn't do enough damage to warrant tracking.  Just try to get it hitting faster with Tempus Repit for the DF generation.

4. Try to frontload your Doomguard.  He'll do more damage with the buffs and procs at the start than he will get with some paltry 20% execute bonus.  Plus you guarantee all 18 casts.

5. Another reason that your damage was a little low is you weren't gaming your 2pc proc, which is a 20% damage bonus for you and your pet - it's quite potent, so you should aim for it.  Instead of using Shadowbolt so much in caster form, try to weave in a few Soul Fires to get that bonus up.  It's delicious.

6. You're not using Pandemic to extend your mega Dooms which will help with your DoT uptime.  http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LKJgTwytkpvMf8cC#fight=2&type=casts&source=1&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24134301931.0.0.Warlock%24false%24148906^0%24Separate%24%23909049%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24134301931.0.0.Warlock%24false%24137590^0%24Separate%24%23a04D8A%24auras-gained%240%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%24134301931.0.0.Warlock%24false%24113861&ability=603&graph=true this shows a graph where you casted Doom with your buffs.  First one was captured great - if you had cast another one on the global before it, you would have extended your Doom to 90 seconds, up from 60, which would have pushed your entire debuff 'scheduling' back a bit to where your uptime woulda hit 99%.  On your 3rd Doom cast, you caught one Intellect proc but you had 2 Intellect procs 15 seconds later - should have recaptured here.

You have a tight grasp on Demo - just some small changes to fine tune things.  Nice work - keep it up.

• Like 1

It's a LOT better. The 5% increase from multistrike only applies to about 70% of your damage, so it's really only 3.5% increase, versus what you can get out of the haste and mastery from the BBoY. Also, you get a significantly better proc. you don't need all 10 second of the proc. or at least, I use ToC a lot more, like Zag, so I don't usually have 10 seconds worth of SF saved up. Plus snapshot ting Doom

Evening all.  Two questions:  AMR is telling me to gem and reforge like a mad man into a crit so as to maximise doom crits, thus proccing a frigging army of imps.  I know AMR is a bit strange sometimes so I'd like to hear some experienced opinions.  I'm just switching from destro, so I really don't know what works best.

2nd, glyph of Imp Swarm.  Yes or no?  I feel like if I AM supposed to be gemming for crit, Imp Swarm would be a waste since all those imps being spawned from doom crits stop once I pop Imp Swarm.

Evening all.  Two questions:  AMR is telling me to gem and reforge like a mad man into a crit so as to maximise doom crits, thus proccing a frigging army of imps.  I know AMR is a bit strange sometimes so I'd like to hear some experienced opinions.  I'm just switching from destro, so I really don't know what works best.

2nd, glyph of Imp Swarm.  Yes or no?  I feel like if I AM supposed to be gemming for crit, Imp Swarm would be a waste since all those imps being spawned from doom crits stop once I pop Imp Swarm.

Until 6.0 keep a philosophy of "crit is shit". I would not be surprised for AMR to have incorrect stat priorities for demo.

There's an argument for glyph of imp swarm as troll but otherwise step away unless you really need the burst.

• Like 1

Crit for Demonology is an RNG stat.  You'll see more variance in your DPS with a Crit build than you'd ever see otherwise.  Haste makes for more reliable DF generation and Mastery makes for more reliable DPS gains.

In relearning Demo for Wod - figure it time to go back to my roots, I see we open with soul fire. Do I keep using soul fire to fish for the proc 2pc gives or do I only do the one @3.5 and move on?

Priority for demo is still Haste >~ Mastery > Crit right? or do we favor crit now due to losing the trinket?

Edited by Nytemare

If you continue to mash Soul Fire until you get a proc, you will be terrible.  Read the tooltip for what it does without Molten Core, let alone the shitty damage it does in caster form.

Demo can reforge any way and do the same amount of damage.  If you look at some fights, three top Demo parses have a Crit heavy build, a Mastery heavy build, and a Haste heavy build.  As I always say, it's not your stats that cause your DPS - you cause your DPS.

• Like 2