FORUMS
Damien

Helltooth Gargantuan Witch Doctor

On 8/29/2016 at 10:13 PM, Guest Seb said:

This has been answered for the Helltooth set already but why does this build need both the Traveler's pledge and Compass Rose?

The Traveler's PledgeThe Traveler's Pledge and The Compass RoseThe Compass Rose are a set, and you only get the damage increase and reduction bonuses if you wear both of them together.  Unless maybe I am misunderstanding the question?

Does attack speed help this build at all?  It doesn't look to me like it would, and it's not listed as a priority on the gear or in the paragon points.  Except for The Witching HourThe Witching Hour belt, which lists IAS in the table and says this in the text:

The best-in-slot belt for the build when pushing Greater Rifts is the glass cannon favorite, The Witching HourThe Witching Hour. What this belt lacks in unique properties, it makes up in unique rolls: it is the only item in the slot that can roll Attack Speed and Critical Damage. Both stats are immensely beneficial to your damage output, so seek as close to the maximum 7 IAS and 50 Crit Damage as you can.

Is this a copy-and-paste error, or am I missing something?

On 9/3/2016 at 7:52 AM, Warden said:

Does attack speed help this build at all?  It doesn't look to me like it would, and it's not listed as a priority on the gear or in the paragon points.  Except for The Witching HourThe Witching Hour belt, which lists IAS in the table and says this in the text:

Is this a copy-and-paste error, or am I missing something?

As far as I know, your attack speed is included in the calculation of your pet's damage but not in their attack speed, therefore the build get some benefit from your IAS, but it has diminishing return and not enough impact to pursue on other items.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Marvus said:

As far as I know, your attack speed is included in the calculation of your pet's damage but not in their attack speed, therefore the build get some benefit from your IAS, but it has diminishing return and not enough impact to pursue on other items.

This is correct. The potential Crit Damage roll is the bigger culprit, as well as the lack of other meaningful belts for the build.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deadset said:

This is correct. The potential Crit Damage roll is the bigger culprit, as well as the lack of other meaningful belts for the build.

Ok, thanks Deadset and Marvus.  I appreciate it!

• Like 1

Guest ChuckRyan

Hi Deadset,

First, thank you for your guidance. I've achieved more consistent damage and new levels as a result of following your recommendations closely. I've been working hard to develop this WD build for some time. I feel I've got well rolled gear all. I'm around Paragon 700. With Caldesann's despair, my Intelligence rolls are getting up there. 

I'm topping out in I Greater Rift 75. What am I doing wrong? Please see my build details: http://www.d3planner.com/823417042

My settings are as close to your recommendations as possible. But I'm struggling to push GR 75. You say it's possible to reach Greater Rift 110+. I'm having trouble seeing how. Is there more guidance beyond the build details itself? I'm using the stop and start playstyle to get the most out of Endless Walk. 

I'm a little confused by all the guides whether Pet Attacks proc Bane of Stricken. It seems like my attacks (WoD and Piranhas) don't proc them at a statistically significant rate. Following your guide, with 10 stacks of BoS, Full Soul Harvest, full Endless Walk bonus, my Garguntuan damage should be 103B/sec. I'm still *really working to grind down Rift Bosses and some elites at Level 75. 

I'm also squishier than I'd like. At Rift 75+ damage spikes can catch you off guard and 1 hit kill. It's happening more often. Makes me wonder whether it would be worth using Caldesann to build armor... Probably not.

Anyway, can't thank you enough for your guides. I hope you can help answer some of these questions for the community.

-ChuckRyan

2 hours ago, Guest ChuckRyan said:

Hi Deadset,

First, thank you for your guidance. I've achieved more consistent damage and new levels as a result of following your recommendations closely. I've been working hard to develop this WD build for some time. I feel I've got well rolled gear all. I'm around Paragon 700. With Caldesann's despair, my Intelligence rolls are getting up there. 

I'm topping out in I Greater Rift 75. What am I doing wrong? Please see my build details: http://www.d3planner.com/823417042

My settings are as close to your recommendations as possible. But I'm struggling to push GR 75. You say it's possible to reach Greater Rift 110+. I'm having trouble seeing how. Is there more guidance beyond the build details itself? I'm using the stop and start playstyle to get the most out of Endless Walk. 

I'm a little confused by all the guides whether Pet Attacks proc Bane of Stricken. It seems like my attacks (WoD and Piranhas) don't proc them at a statistically significant rate. Following your guide, with 10 stacks of BoS, Full Soul Harvest, full Endless Walk bonus, my Garguntuan damage should be 103B/sec. I'm still *really working to grind down Rift Bosses and some elites at Level 75. 

I'm also squishier than I'd like. At Rift 75+ damage spikes can catch you off guard and 1 hit kill. It's happening more often. Makes me wonder whether it would be worth using Caldesann to build armor... Probably not.

Anyway, can't thank you enough for your guides. I hope you can help answer some of these questions for the community.

-ChuckRyan

This is an example of someone that has hit 90+ solo using the same build that Deadset suggests here. 

The 110+ indicator refers to the group potential of the class currently - here is a Korean WD that has cleared 118 using the same build with a few minor adjustments.

For solo rifting, gear and paragon are always the first things to blame. Those items which aren't ancient, which don't have high intellect rolls etc. It's also worth nothing that your weapon damage range is pretty low.

Solo rifting is hugely dependent on fishing for rifts that are good for you. You'll fail at rifts simply because a certain mob-type is there or the map is wrong. Knowing when to skip and when not to skip is so important.

I'm sure Deadset can shed some more light on what else you could be doing, but these are at least a few things to note. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

On 9/11/2016 at 10:13 AM, Guest ChuckRyan said:

Please see my build details: http://www.d3planner.com/823417042

Hey! First of all, indeed the 110 in question is for multiplayer high end pushing groups; solo-wise, the build will top off somewhere in the 90s. The build linked by Blainie is indeed a great example of a decked out character.

I would definitely aim to improve the linked Endless Walk set, getting a Cold % / Crit Chance / Crit Damage / Socket amulet, and Int / ChC / ChD / Area Damage ring.

While the remainder of your gear is largely correct in terms of selection and stats, you will notice several incredibly meaningful discrepancies between your character and Blainie's example WD:

1. Paragon level. At Paragon 1200, he's 500 Paragons above your d3planner spec, and past 800 every one of these levels went into main stat, greatly inflating his damage (and still providing defenses, as Int feeds into All Resist).

2. Gem levels. The strongest aspect of grouping up is the ability to push higher tiers than you would normally solo, for the purposes of leveling your Legendary Gems (which you then turn and use in solo gameplay). Your legendary gems are around levels 70, his are well into the 90s (he has roughly 30% more damage than you based on gems alone).

3. Caldesann enchants. Ancient items can be further augmented with mainstat - besides their higher stats as a base, this is the other huge reason to pursue them, and I see you're aware of that (you have a few augments already). The linked WD's gear however is augmented pretty much top to bottom with about level 75 gems, netting him around 400 Intelligence per enchant and towering with several thousand Int over the linked d3planner character. (Oh, and as a side note, do not invest Caldesann into armor - tradeoff is simply not worth it!)

All of these factors will greatly increase your character performance when righted!

• Sad 1

I'm new to these forums, but I've had the game forever.  Have never participated in any of the seasons because I just lost interest way back.  I am here looking for advice for the WD I am using with helltooth, currently the character is very comfortable.  I just completed my set and went for a jog in the set dungeon, and well some of my equipment and my bonuses from the cube are kind of underwhelming.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tecumseh-1561/hero/80353779

Sorry if this is kind of off-topic, just looking for advice as I haven't seen any guides here using the knife/mojo combo I managed to pick up.  Other than the obvious get a furnace/mara/RoRG are there any suggestions people can give.  I like the setup now, and I'm not struggling though I have not tried to see how high I can push this setup currently.  Really just looking to find out if I'm doing this right, or if I am missing something obvious that could vastly improve his efficiency.

On 9/22/2016 at 7:34 PM, Tecu said:

I'm new to these forums, but I've had the game forever.  Have never participated in any of the seasons because I just lost interest way back.  I am here looking for advice for the WD I am using with helltooth, currently the character is very comfortable.  I just completed my set and went for a jog in the set dungeon, and well some of my equipment and my bonuses from the cube are kind of underwhelming.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tecumseh-1561/hero/80353779

Sorry if this is kind of off-topic, just looking for advice as I haven't seen any guides here using the knife/mojo combo I managed to pick up.  Other than the obvious get a furnace/mara/RoRG are there any suggestions people can give.  I like the setup now, and I'm not struggling though I have not tried to see how high I can push this setup currently.  Really just looking to find out if I'm doing this right, or if I am missing something obvious that could vastly improve his efficiency.

What build are you hoping to play? What playstyle do you enjoy? I can then point you in the right direction of gear, skills, whatever. Thanks!

I guess the only answer is I don't know what I want.  I have nearly 0 experience with seasons, as far as play style goes, I want to survive and kill everything.  Really not trying to be a wise guy, I'll keep working on this setup until I hit a wall then come back for more specific advice once I know what i am looking for.

11 hours ago, Tecu said:

I guess the only answer is I don't know what I want.  I have nearly 0 experience with seasons, as far as play style goes, I want to survive and kill everything.  Really not trying to be a wise guy, I'll keep working on this setup until I hit a wall then come back for more specific advice once I know what i am looking for.

I think that's the best thing, honestly. Once you get more of a feel for what is going on, you can give me more specific pointers on what you're hoping for. It's also worth keeping an eye on what items you should/shouldn't salvage, since you don't want have to re-farm them in the future for other builds.

Guest Aidan

Hello,

I'm a beginner looking for some advice on how to start using this build.  I am very new to the Diablo 3 game (and I am playing on PS4).  I made a level 70 wizard, and my witch doctor is now almost level 70, but I am still very new to the game.  I wanted to farm the menagerist goblin for pets, and someone suggested that I try the Helltooth Angry Chicken WD build to farm goblins quickly.  My problem is, I am feeling a overwhelmed by looking at this guide, and I don't know where to start.  I don't even know what Kanai's Cube is, and I'm not sure how to farm these equipments that I need.  I am also confused about which gear I need to use, I thought I had to use the Helltooth set, but there are other "best in slot" recommendations and multiple gears listed on the gear list.  So, where do I start?  I tried farming goblins on my wizard in Torment 3 mode, but my wizard moves too slowly and dies easily.  

Thank you for any tips and support!  I appreciate this guide, I am just a  bit overwhelmed and at a loss about how to start building it.

7 hours ago, Guest Aidan said:

So, where do I start? 

So, farming goblins can be tricky without gear. I'd say that's the best place to start.

• Kanai's Cube is a feature in game that allows you to take a piece of gear and put it into the cube. You can then use that piece of gear's effect without equipping it. It is found in level 2 of the Ruins of Sescheron, Act 3. You need to find it in the map and interact with it. It will then be transported back to the base camps.
  • For farming WD gear, you need a Witch Doctor. 
    • Get to level 70.
    • Farm yourself up through Master, trying to find any Yellow pieces of gear that have OK rolled stats.
    • Slowly move up the ranks, moving through rifts and getting better gear. 
    • Make sure to check the build you want to play to see if you get any pieces you need.
  • The different pieces of gear are to do with different builds. You only need the set Helm OR Hands, not both, so you can choose which to replace with the other legendary listed. It depends on playstyle, as well as which item you get first.
  • If you have anyone that can help you and run you through stuff, it's really useful.

I'm not familiar with PS4, I play Diablo on PC, but hopefully these at least help a little bit.

Guest Giggles

This build is really fun but I find it pretty mobile, picking up health globes, moving out of the way, etc. I have been looking for a better ring/neck set or pair. I like the The Short Man's FingerThe Short Man's Finger and a good Hellfire AmuletHellfire Amulet with one of the main runes listed in the guide then grab another pet buff. 

Anyone see a good suggestions to replace the travelers set?

9 hours ago, Guest Giggles said:

This build is really fun but I find it pretty mobile, picking up health globes, moving out of the way, etc. I have been looking for a better ring/neck set or pair. I like the The Short Man's FingerThe Short Man's Finger and a good Hellfire AmuletHellfire Amulet with one of the main runes listed in the guide then grab another pet buff. 

Anyone see a good suggestions to replace the travelers set?

Is this because you don't like the playstyle of having the traveler's or because you haven't had them drop?

Guest Giggles
17 hours ago, Blainie said:

Is this because you don't like the playstyle of having the traveler's or because you haven't had them drop?

I have them and both great rolls and ancient it's more I just find myself having to move a lot so the buffs are always fairly low.

On 9/30/2016 at 7:37 PM, Guest Giggles said:

I have them and both great rolls and ancient it's more I just find myself having to move a lot so the buffs are always fairly low.

Surely you're standing still while spamming Wall of Death when progressing the higher rifts?

While I generally agree with Blainie against the replacement of the Endless Walk set for endgame progression, you can have a decent and fun alternative in running both Tall Man's and Short Man's Finger + a Hellfire. :)

Guest EndarKeN

Hey, would the Big Stinker rune for Gargantuan be more relevant for speed-runs? It always deals damage passively, compared to the Humongoids which only deal AoE when they physically attack.

On 10/6/2016 at 7:29 AM, Guest EndarKeN said:

Hey, would the Big Stinker rune for Gargantuan be more relevant for speed-runs? It always deals damage passively, compared to the Humongoids which only deal AoE when they physically attack.

Yes and no. The Big Stinker rune does a LOT less damage than Humongoid. If you find that you are speed running something where the damage from Humangoid is hugely overkill, then yes. Most of the time, no.

On 10/9/2016 at 9:04 AM, Deewayn3 said:

I'd just like to say that I am thoroughly enjoying this build!

Thanks for this guide.

Much appreciated.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for stopping by to let us know :)

On 14/10/2016 at 2:03 AM, Blainie said:

Glad to hear it! Thanks for stopping by to let us know :)

All good.

I play on a PS4 though, as I currently have no gaming PC.

Currently have most of the BiS gear except for hands and amulet.

Still farming happily right now.

I'm just wishing Blizzard/Sony fixes the integration between PSN and Battle Net, don't see it happenign though.

P.S. This game is more fun to play with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard

Edited by Deewayn3

On 10/18/2016 at 4:44 AM, Deewayn3 said:

Currently have most of the BiS gear except for hands and amulet.

Still farming happily right now.

That's the best type of farming to be doing! Good luck with your search for BiS :D