FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Legendary Fast Freeze Mage Standard

I'm having a lot of trouble with healing when i cant get ice barrier. Is refreshment vendor worth including? The removal of antique healbot hurt this deck a lot.

Guest Henrique

How can I replace Bloodmage Thalnos? Its the only card I do not have =(

Kobold, anything giving you +1 spell damage I guess.

Is it worth it crafting alexstrasza, one ice block and one doomsayer from dust I have after dusting gvg and naxx?) I guess I would use Alexstrasza in Control Warrior (I have Grommash already)

Guest MiJeVa

There is a lot of Loatheb in this. Isnt he banned from standard now?

Guest Atanhe

This deck is simply awesome... as always! I've replaced Pyro with Anthonidas, due to warriors mu. This list is really solid btw. Thank u <3

There is a lot of Loatheb in this. Isnt he banned from standard now?

There isn't. Maybe guide a little outdated, Loatheb can't ruin play now.

Yeah, the remaining references to Loatheb were an oversight, i've fixed the guide now and it should be updated soon.

Is it worth it crafting alexstrasza, one ice block and one doomsayer from dust I have after dusting gvg and naxx?) I guess I would use Alexstrasza in Control Warrior (I have Grommash already)

What is worth and what isn't is different for each player. If freeze mage is your dream, go for it. If it's just a deck you won't really use, craft cards for the deck you want the most. It also depends on your priorities. If you want to play in tournaments asap, just craft cards for cheap decks. If you want to grind ranked, craft cards for one strong deck. If you want to play just for fun, craft whatever you want. 

What is worth and what isn't is different for each player. If freeze mage is your dream, go for it. If it's just a deck you won't really use, craft cards for the deck you want the most. It also depends on your priorities. If you want to play in tournaments asap, just craft cards for cheap decks. If you want to grind ranked, craft cards for one strong deck. If you want to play just for fun, craft whatever you want. 

I'd like to have equally strong decks for each class, grinding with one deck is not right I think, especially Freeze Mage)

Guest Lucas

What do you think, about Cabalist's tome. I'm testing it. I remplaced the arcane or the acolite. I liked the last. 3 spell for 5 or 4 (if you get the emperator). This spell can give to you even the arcane intelec or Cabalist's tome, so you can get 3 more spell.

I'd like to have equally strong decks for each class, grinding with one deck is not right I think, especially Freeze Mage)

In that case if you feel mage is your weakest class, crafting those cards will definitely help a lot. Those cards have unique effects that can't be replaced easily. The other side of the coin is that Ice Block is used only in Freeze Mage and Majordomage, and Doomsayer only in Freeze Mage and Murloc Pally (not even every build runs them). If you are a bit greedy with your dust, I recommend you to craft cards for a generic C'thun deck, since you can be sure that the cards will be most definitely used in a high-level deck.

(tl;dr: have a lot of expendable dust? - do it; don't want to spend dust? - craft cthun cards).

Guest Jessica

After playing with this deck a bit, I would recommend another Loot Hoarder. If you don't have one of the three 2 drops in your hand early on, your early turns can be very inefficient. You can end up doing nothing but pinging on turn 2 and casting ice block/barrier or arcane intellect or forgotten torch during turns 3-5. A solid board from the opponent makes jamming Tharissan on turn 6 a little awkward.

After playing with this deck a bit, I would recommend another Loot Hoarder. If you don't have one of the three 2 drops in your hand early on, your early turns can be very inefficient. You can end up doing nothing but pinging on turn 2 and casting ice block/barrier or arcane intellect or forgotten torch during turns 3-5. A solid board from the opponent makes jamming Tharissan on turn 6 a little awkward.

So don't jam Emperor on 6? You have to be flexible with this deck, every game is very, very different. But yeah, more cycle is never going to be bad.

Guest timebandit456

use the kobold geomancer, thalnos is so rarely used for cycle that it's practically the same

the issues I have with the deck is that playing 4 secrets is so slow without mad scientist

-2 ice barrier, +1 cone, +1 loot hoarder might be better

Guest Alramd

Don't you think running 2 cones instead of barrier and 2 loot hoarders is just better? Cone of cold addresses the board and blocks more damage most of the time, playing ice barrier from hand feels like such a weak overly passive play for even freeze mage and you can combo the cones with doom sayer which is kinda of nice I guess since doom sayer is alot more likely to go off later in the game atm. You rarely just have 3 mana spare where you want to play something like barrier, just my opinion though.

Hi Sottle

Do you think Reno has a place in this deck to cover the healing lost from Healbot, increase survivability, and to catch people by surprise? I run Reno in this deck, I add one azure drake to replace one novice engineer (so less 2 copies of cards, spell damage bonus is awesome as well and takes attention off your hero), as I only have 1 blizzard I replace the missing one with a flamestrike, i swap pyroblast for antonidas since i don't have it and i add in an additional loot hoarder for better early game

Your thoughts?

Guest fancydude

This deck is really good in this meta!

Don't you think running 2 cones instead of barrier and 2 loot hoarders is just better? Cone of cold addresses the board and blocks more damage most of the time, playing ice barrier from hand feels like such a weak overly passive play for even freeze mage and you can combo the cones with doom sayer which is kinda of nice I guess since doom sayer is alot more likely to go off later in the game atm. You rarely just have 3 mana spare where you want to play something like barrier, just my opinion though.

I think you definitely keep at least one Barrier, but I can understand cutting one for sure.

What are your thoughts on 

a ) Cabalist Tome

b ) Yogg Saron

in the deck?

Edited by Kobal

I think n'zoth pally should also get a mention in the match up description, as it's easily the most complex match up for the deck right now.

Guest Phil

Bloodmage Thalnos works well with MOST mage decks.  Oh wait....it doesn't and hasn't ever...Never mind....cool deck?

I think n'zoth pally should also get a mention in the match up description, as it's easily the most complex match up for the deck right now.

The strategy vs N'Zoth paladin is easy in theory, difficult in execution.

Your goal is to OTK them from 25-26 health.

In order to achieve that, you need to survive until you have enough burn in your hand and then drop Emperor Thaurissan to prepare for the OTK turn.

Example :

Fireball + Fireball + Forstbolt + Frostbolt + Ice Lance + Ice Lance = 6 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 26 damage for 14 mana, meaning you will need to have at least 4 pieces of this combo in your hand when you drop emperor.

Keep in mind that the roaring torches make the above equation easier, cause they are fireballs for 3 instead of 4 mana.

Also another thing to note if you are not in a very high rank : inexperienced players might drop sylvanas on the board, take full advantage of that by playing doomsayer and killing sylvanas for a guarranteed board clear.

Bloodmage Thalnos works well with MOST mage decks.  Oh wait....it doesn't and hasn't ever...Never mind....cool deck?

Bloodmage thalnos works extremely well in this deck, i don't understand the irony in your comment.

Not only does is provide card draw, which is essential for this deck, it also provides that extra damage with the spell power, which can give you a chance to find enough damage to win an unfavoured matchup (a warrior, or a nzoth paladin).

If it is THAT bad, then why does every single one of the pros include it in this deck?

Edited by CodeRazor

The strategy vs N'Zoth paladin is easy in theory, difficult in execution.

Your goal is to OTK them from 25-26 health.

In order to achieve that, you need to survive until you have enough burn in your hand and then drop Emperor Thaurissan to prepare for the OTK turn.

Example :

Fireball + Fireball + Forstbolt + Frostbolt + Ice Lance + Ice Lance = 6 + 6 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 26 damage for 14 mana, meaning you will need to have at least 4 pieces of this combo in your hand when you drop emperor.

Keep in mind that the roaring torches make the above equation easier, cause they are fireballs for 3 instead of 4 mana.

Also another thing to note if you are not in a very high rank : inexperienced players might drop sylvanas on the board, take full advantage of that by playing doomsayer and killing sylvanas for a guarranteed board clear.

Bloodmage thalnos works extremely well in this deck, i don't understand the irony in your comment.

Not only does is provide card draw, which is essential for this deck, it also provides that extra damage with the spell power, which can give you a chance to find enough damage to win an unfavoured matchup (a warrior, or a nzoth paladin).

If it is THAT bad, then why does every single one of the pros include it in this deck?

I'm aware of that, I'm just saying that since there's a write up for most match ups that force you into an alternative gameplan, you might as well do it for n'zoth pally too.

By the way, the match up isn't nearly as one dimensional as you're making it sound. If the paladin has multiple high end threats(especially if he runs ragnaros the firelord) you probably won't get enough time to set up otk unless you draw extremely well, at which point your best bet is to just use alex and pray he doesn't have healing.

Another possible strat is something similar to the renolock match up, where you try to ping off health from the paladin to try and flush out some of his healing cards, although this is easier said than done considering he has a lot of them.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's one of the worst match ups for freeze mage compared to things like warrior, but in terms of gameplay complexity it certainly is one of the most complicated.

Edited by batanete

Sign in to follow this