FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PancakeMonk

reading the game better and eventually getting the desired rank

hello there 

first of all let me confess in shame that after all this time on hearthstone i found out that i really suck compared to other players started after me best rank hit was 12 although i usually streak and put little effort on the ladder i.e the rank 12 was in 4 hours played on 2 to 3 days combined ofc not the best stats given for a player started from the beta phase but i always convince myself as long am keeping 70% win rate on casual am still good but thats not true because i find it extremely hard to get this consistency on the ladder so my request here is

i need 3 things to start kicking up my seasonal play again if i want to deserve even calling myself a beta player in the past 

1-reading the game from the start of the turns and making the right muligans (which till this very day is a dismal site when it comes to my muliganed hand i mainley play oil rogue on the wild format and 3 miracle decks on the standard and i know thats not correct if i want to hit higher ranks consistency wise)

2-trading till this very day is a dilemma for me ...i get lost on my hand and setting the lethal and mess up my board always 

3-the time needed to develop knowledge is only bounded by the time factor you put in the game ..is that stat really correct ?

i played for 2 and a half years now not much daily but in the end no card in the game at this point is new

so a little advice from what you guys see from the post because am kind of embarrassed and getting frustrated from my plays so anybody who have a bright insight or some constructive criticism please be my guest ..am planing at least to hit rank 5 next season and i need to know that it takes alot of effort and mental capacity to do that but is there something else beside that ? 

thanks in advance and sorry if the post is in the wrong place or you already replied to posts like these millions of times    i could really use the correct guidance now and appreciate any effort put to help a fellow player ..obliged !!

33 minutes ago, PancakeMonk said:

1-reading the game from the start of the turns and making the right muligans (which till this very day is a dismal site when it comes to my muliganed hand i mainley play oil rogue on the wild format and 3 miracle decks on the standard and i know thats not correct if i want to hit higher ranks consistency wise)

OK, so. Mulligans vary from match to match. There are specific cards you need depending on what you are facing. It's pointless to mulligan hard for loads of early removal if you're playing vs. a very slow, control deck. I think looking at standard is probably the best option to start off with. Although your deck may not be exactly the same, it's worth looking at the Mulligan section of Sottle's miracle deck.  This will give you a vague outline of the type of cards you should be looking for.

Half of the battle when choosing your mulligan is deciding what type of deck you might be up against. This will basically just come with time. You'll learn the meta, understand what sort of decks are being played at that point and what class is more likely to be what. This will vary depending on your current rank, region, which ladder you are on and so on.

37 minutes ago, PancakeMonk said:

2-trading till this very day is a dilemma for me ...i get lost on my hand and setting the lethal and mess up my board always 

As miracle, for example, it is again important to assess what type of deck you are against. In early game, if you are up against zoo, you'll be using your cards to remove minions and make sure you take control of the board. There's no point holding all your big spells if you won't survive long enough to play them. Cards like SI:7 Agent are extremely useful, since they place down a decent body while being able to remove most minions in the early turns.

Setting up a strong board will always lead to a higher chance of winning, rather than holding all your damaging spells and hoping to kill them in a turn. Unfortunately, you're not a Freeze Mage, so you're going to have much more success using Cold Blood and Conceal.

Remember: board is king!

42 minutes ago, PancakeMonk said:

3-the time needed to develop knowledge is only bounded by the time factor you put in the game ..is that stat really correct ?

Hearthstone is indeed about learning. The majority of the game is understanding when to do things and when not to do them. It sounds simple, but it takes time to learn. The more time you put in, the faster you will learn.

• Like 2

well for the mulligans so far i always read sottle's guides before i either test a deck from my own building it or netdecking from here on icy-veins and looking on what you said i already have the mulligan phase covered its just i might have the hand i need to combat a specific matchup but i either hold on to cards or burn my hand trying to control the board so i guess i just need to utilize my cards better rather than muligan right ..

the learning curve is not steep again as i stated i know what decks am facing most of the time and the indications from each class is easy to spot and it came to the point for me in the game that it tends to be linear  so i guess what am trying to say here maybe i just need to play more because your reply just made me realize i do everything as intended but i just need to play my hand better thats all so i need to put more time in the game and thats pretty much it for me.. really appreicate your reply it made me feel alot better about myself as a player and i give myself the excuse because i simply just dont play much but in the end am no noob hehe ..thanks alot mate you made my day :D

17 minutes ago, PancakeMonk said:

well for the mulligans so far i always read sottle's guides before i either test a deck from my own building it or netdecking from here on icy-veins and looking on what you said i already have the mulligan phase covered its just i might have the hand i need to combat a specific matchup but i either hold on to cards or burn my hand trying to control the board so i guess i just need to utilize my cards better rather than muligan right ..

the learning curve is not steep again as i stated i know what decks am facing most of the time and the indications from each class is easy to spot and it came to the point for me in the game that it tends to be linear  so i guess what am trying to say here maybe i just need to play more because your reply just made me realize i do everything as intended but i just need to play my hand better thats all so i need to put more time in the game and thats pretty much it for me.. really appreicate your reply it made me feel alot better about myself as a player and i give myself the excuse because i simply just dont play much but in the end am no noob hehe ..thanks alot mate you made my day :D

If you're doing all that already, then yeah, it's just time invested. Understanding when to use a card, for example.

Let's say 3 games in a row you burnt an eviscerate to kill a 3/2, then every time the enemy plays a 5/4 straight after. You would learn to save the eviscerate and instead play a minion to trade into the 3/2, for example. You learn with time when to waste cards and when not to. 

Play more and you'll get a higher rank, I'm sure of it :p

• Like 1

Just now, PancakeMonk said:

challenge accepted ... 3months from the start of the new season from tomorrow  you will receive the snapshot of legend rank :P

ur on friend !!

pancakemonk#2692 if you would like to track the development yourself :PP

Whenever you're in doubt of what play would be the best, just make a screenshot of the board. I found it extremely usefully to be able to see the board I lost in an image. This helped me play around removal much much better.

• Like 1

Miracle is said to be the hardest deck to play. Since most decisions revolve around whether to play a card now or hold it to combo, you constantly need to be evaluating the board state, how much damage your enemy can deal and what could be their next play as opposed to how much damage I need, what is my next play etc. 

I recently started playing miracle too although I'm playing miricle malygos. Lets hope both of us get good at it and can puch for high ranks!

• Like 1