Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

326 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Fire Mage guide for Legion.

The BiS list for trinkets can't be correct. Why would some Heroic trinkets be better than the Mythic version?

It's what SimC is outputting currently. People are still working on it, so there's room for improvement. One problem is that most devs are focusing on Level 110, so results for Level 100 sims are highly inaccurate. Gotta work with the tools available :P

32 minutes ago, Guest halooo said:

Flame patch was buffed recently by 200%, probably worth using with the class trinket.

Yes, that is taken into account in the talents page and descriptions. With Flame Patch you'll *probably* want to Flamestrike on 3-targets instead of 4, but we'll have to wait for the patch itself to be live to confirm with certainty. Obviously the targets will have to stand in the patch itself for the full duration for it to be effective.

There are some mistakes in the guide:

Combustion now increases Critical Strike and Mastery by 100% for 10 seconds. - Mastery isnt increased by 100% but the critical strike rating that the player has is added to the mastery rating for the duration of combustion. I am not sure wether casting combustion increases critical strike rating itself or just adds 100% crit chance as the final calculation layer. And later  Combustion Icon Combustion is our DPS cooldown. It lasts 10 seconds, and increases our mastery (the bonus damage generated via Ignite Icon Ignite) and our critical strike chance by 100% each

This passive makes your next cast instant, and doubles the Ignite Icon Ignite value from the spell. We will always use this proc on Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast (see Basic Abilities).  It sounds as if it makes any cast instant, which is not true as its only Pyroblast and Flamestrike. Also saying that its always Pyroblast (even though its said when we use flamestrike later in the guide) might be misleading for someone who skimmed the text.

I also think that the tooltip abilities are incorrect? At least cooldown duration on some of them seems to be off.

Decent guide overall, too bad it yet doesnt include Artifact Weapon influence but in due time.

1 hour ago, Guest Aylea said:

There are some mistakes in the guide:

Combustion now increases Critical Strike and Mastery by 100% for 10 seconds. - Mastery isnt increased by 100% but the critical strike rating that the player has is added to the mastery rating for the duration of combustion. I am not sure wether casting combustion increases critical strike rating itself or just adds 100% crit chance as the final calculation layer. And later  Combustion Icon Combustion is our DPS cooldown. It lasts 10 seconds, and increases our mastery (the bonus damage generated via Ignite Icon Ignite) and our critical strike chance by 100% each

This passive makes your next cast instant, and doubles the Ignite Icon Ignite value from the spell. We will always use this proc on Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast (see Basic Abilities).  It sounds as if it makes any cast instant, which is not true as its only Pyroblast and Flamestrike. Also saying that its always Pyroblast (even though its said when we use flamestrike later in the guide) might be misleading for someone who skimmed the text.

I also think that the tooltip abilities are incorrect? At least cooldown duration on some of them seems to be off.

Decent guide overall, too bad it yet doesnt include Artifact Weapon influence but in due time.

Furty fixed it overnight and I validated the changes a few minutes ago.

Mirror Image should be the go-to talent when leveling, because of one thing not mentioned in this guide - it's a 40 second aggro drop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, checkmate said:

Hi guys,

I have a question to section 3.1 Combustion Usage:

Instead of "2. Consume your Heating Up IconHeating Up with a Pyroblast IconPyroblast cast" shoudln`t it be "Consume your Hot Streak with a Pyroblast cast"?

Greetings

Checkmate

Hey, good catch, I'll fix that when I get some time!

47 minutes ago, Guest Dejahthoris said:

Mirror Image should be the go-to talent when leveling, because of one thing not mentioned in this guide - it's a 40 second aggro drop.

Noteworthy but not nearly enough to push it ahead for speed of leveling. Generally you want talents that give you the highest pack-to-pack damage, whereas Mirror Image is more of a burst talent.

1 hour ago, Twinsel said:

Thnx for the guide, much appreciated.

Just wanna make a quick note for finetuning the guide:

FirestarterFirestarter causes FireballFireball to always critically strike when your target is above 90% health. (should be 85%).

Oh right, they buffed it :D I'll make a note and fix it when I can, thanks!

In the talent and builds section, the guide suggests that Cinderstorm is better than Meteor currently, but Cinderstorm is not mentioned in the rotation guide even though Meteor is.

16 hours ago, Guest Tankzbot said:

In the talent and builds section, the guide suggests that Cinderstorm is better than Meteor currently, but Cinderstorm is not mentioned in the rotation guide even though Meteor is.

Cinderstorm can basically be used on cooldown. One of the main strengths currently is that all individual cinders trigger Doom Nova, so that's a good trinket to pair it with.

I'm by no means an expert and just looking for clarification, but what is the reasoning behind Pyromaniac being good and Controlled Burn not? To my highly devolved brain, it looks to me like two separate instances to get more free Pyroblasts/Flamestrikes. Is it because the other talents in tier 1 are mostly trash?

Soo, I decided to spec from arcane to fire mage and have absolutely no clue about the rotation. Is there no guide line at all ?

I mean I have already read through the whole article and noticed, that it might be depending on the circumstances and is more of a felexible build up instead of a solide rotation, but how do I know when to do what basically ?

It all depends on the critical strikes but mixed together with eventuell movement and debuffs how the hell am I supposed to go through with it.

Sorry if I sound off like a noob, but I simply am used to this whole massive rotation. And honestly I feel a little lost.

4 hours ago, Guest PRWoodley said:

I'm by no means an expert and just looking for clarification, but what is the reasoning behind Pyromaniac being good and Controlled Burn not? To my highly devolved brain, it looks to me like two separate instances to get more free Pyroblasts/Flamestrikes. Is it because the other talents in tier 1 are mostly trash?

There are a few reasons. For starters, as you pointed out, that the competitor talents for Pyromaniac are fairly weak (with the exception of a current obnoxious interaction with Conflagration that triggers the Doom Nova trinket). Flame On offers you such control over your damage and more important, when you get your damage that it generally flattens the competition. A 10% chance is fairly unreliable, and with high levels of critical strike you don't cast nearly the same amount of Fireballs you did in past tiers. All in all, it's a lot better to have two guaranteed Hot Streaks for every Rune of Power/Combustion than it is to have a small periodic chance to not have to Fire Blast.

2 hours ago, Wilhelmius said:

Soo, I decided to spec from arcane to fire mage and have absolutely no clue about the rotation. Is there no guide line at all ?

I mean I have already read through the whole article and noticed, that it might be depending on the circumstances and is more of a felexible build up instead of a solide rotation, but how do I know when to do what basically ?

It all depends on the critical strikes but mixed together with eventuell movement and debuffs how the hell am I supposed to go through with it.

Sorry if I sound off like a noob, but I simply am used to this whole massive rotation. And honestly I feel a little lost.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you already read the entire guide carefully I don't think I can explain it to you any better here. 

13 hours ago, Furty said:

There are a few reasons. For starters, as you pointed out, that the competitor talents for Pyromaniac are fairly weak (with the exception of a current obnoxious interaction with Conflagration that triggers the Doom Nova trinket). Flame On offers you such control over your damage and more important, when you get your damage that it generally flattens the competition. A 10% chance is fairly unreliable, and with high levels of critical strike you don't cast nearly the same amount of Fireballs you did in past tiers. All in all, it's a lot better to have two guaranteed Hot Streaks for every Rune of Power/Combustion than it is to have a small periodic chance to not have to Fire Blast.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you already read the entire guide carefully I don't think I can explain it to you any better here. 

Well I just don t get how to proc heating up. Furthermore I think I got it now, it is rather the same thing keeping the procs alive and using your cooldowns. Please correct me if I am wrong. The only problem I have is, as I said, how to trigger heating up.

4 hours ago, Wilhelmius said:

Well I just don t get how to proc heating up. Furthermore I think I got it now, it is rather the same thing keeping the procs alive and using your cooldowns. Please correct me if I am wrong. The only problem I have is, as I said, how to trigger heating up.

I would recommend starting with the "Spell Summary" section of the guide, as it is all explained very clearly there.

Hello Furty! First of all thanks for all the guides!

I have a question about section 2.1

"Generally, you will then want to cast a Fireball Icon Fireball, and immediately spend your Hot Streak Icon Hot Streak on a Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast as your Fireball Icon Fireball cast finishes. Both of these spells will strike at the same time, generating the largest possible ignite and the chance at an immediate follow up Hot Streak Icon Hot Streak if both of them critically strike. If only one of the spells critically strikes, Heating Up Icon Heating Up will proc and you can immediately Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast and repeat this process"

After I cast fireball and immediatly spend Hotstreak on a pyroblast I can the chance to follow up with another hot Streak or get heating up and the Fireblast and get hot streak.

My question is that when I get this "second hotstreak" so to speak, do I cast pyroblast immediatly, or do I do the same thing again, cast a fireball and then follow up with a pyro ? 

1 hour ago, Guest Clicktricks said:

Hello Furty! First of all thanks for all the guides!

I have a question about section 2.1

"Generally, you will then want to cast a Fireball Icon Fireball, and immediately spend your Hot Streak Icon Hot Streak on a Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast as your Fireball Icon Fireball cast finishes. Both of these spells will strike at the same time, generating the largest possible ignite and the chance at an immediate follow up Hot Streak Icon Hot Streak if both of them critically strike. If only one of the spells critically strikes, Heating Up Icon Heating Up will proc and you can immediately Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast and repeat this process"

After I cast fireball and immediatly spend Hotstreak on a pyroblast I can the chance to follow up with another hot Streak or get heating up and the Fireblast and get hot streak.

My question is that when I get this "second hotstreak" so to speak, do I cast pyroblast immediatly, or do I do the same thing again, cast a fireball and then follow up with a pyro ? 

This is somewhat dependent on context. For sustained damage (for example, on the boss) you'll want to repeat the process as many times as your criticals allow. For important adds with short lifespans you'll want to get as much upfront punch as you can, so just go ahead and Pyroblast again without delay. Inside of Combustion you'll want to Pyroblast immediately as well as rely on your Fire Blast and Flame On to provide the supporting criticals, rather than relying on Fireball. You can also Scorch inside of Combustion if you run out of Fire Blast charges as the speed of the cast to trigger Pyroblast is more important than the strength of the Ignite that Fireball provides in comparison.

Ah I got it :3 thank you ^^ for the great help. This guid really made me understand the Fire mage I think, furthermore the AddOns are quite comforatble and make it very easy to keep track of everything.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.