FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

At the time of this comment, Meteor is the recommended talent for single target in this guide. The slightly shocking part is that Meteor is only mentioned twice in the rotation section, and neither of those times have to do with priority or order of casting! Basically, Meteor's priority is currently not mentioned in this guide at all! Can someone please correct this? I simply need to see where Meteor lies in the priority order. Thank you.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, Rok said:

At the time of this comment, Meteor is the recommended talent for single target in this guide. The slightly shocking part is that Meteor is only mentioned twice in the rotation section, and neither of those times have to do with priority or order of casting! Basically, Meteor's priority is currently not mentioned in this guide at all! Can someone please correct this? I simply need to see where Meteor lies in the priority order. Thank you.

Tick the extra box to include AoE, you'll see Meteor in the rotation. I'll get it added to the normal rotation too.

Guest mechengr17

I'm a little lost. You say to use blazing barrier when you have to reposition, but I don't understand how the two are related. Seems it has such a small cooldown, I mainly use it in groups bc it takes pressure off the healer, even if only a little.

I am a noob looking to learn, so I could be wrong.

On 11/7/2017 at 12:23 PM, Entropy said:

Can you explain why crit is now the worst stat? When I stopped playing last year it was the best stat by a long way.

With things like Combustion, Firestarter and the guaranteed crits of Phoenix and Blast, you require Crit far less now, since you have so many opportunities to convert a crit or enter a period of 100% crit.

2 hours ago, Guest mechengr17 said:

I'm a little lost. You say to use blazing barrier when you have to reposition, but I don't understand how the two are related. Seems it has such a small cooldown, I mainly use it in groups bc it takes pressure off the healer, even if only a little.

I am a noob looking to learn, so I could be wrong.

I think you essentially have two scenarios here that it's referencing:

1. You are in the middle of casting a Fireball and need to move because you are taking damage. You can use Shimmer, so you don't interrupt your cast, and then use Barrier to make up for the damage you took, giving your healers time to top you off.
  2. You aren't casting anything and need to move for a prolonged period of time. You can use Barrier to keep yourself alive from damage and cast Scorch while doing so.

It's just an extra help to staying alive while you have to move from danger. It's not necessary by any means.

On 08/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, Blainie said:

With things like Combustion, Firestarter and the guaranteed crits of Phoenix and Blast, you require Crit far less now, since you have so many opportunities to convert a crit or enter a period of 100% crit.

All those things existed when I was playing at the beginning of Legion. I'm wondering how the stat priorities flipped to the exact opposite of what they were in 7.0.

13 hours ago, Entropy said:

All those things existed when I was playing at the beginning of Legion. I'm wondering how the stat priorities flipped to the exact opposite of what they were in 7.0.

Introduction of the current tier bonuses, the belt legendary and re-calculations/re-sims led to it, basically. There's a few rare instances when it can rise slightly, but there are so few ST fights in ToS/Antorus, meaning Mastery/Haste just sits higher because of Ignite spread.

Hi so i got advice here about legendaries before and went with what the guide said, i have been using the marquee wrists and the shard of exodar, today in tomb i had a chest legendary drop belo' virs final stand, my chest piece now is a 930 ilevel robes of demonic purpose, would it be worth trading the marquee wrists for the robe if i could get wrists of an item level around 930? the belo'virs final stand is not listed at all in the guide so am wondering if it is new? Also are we now trying to get mastery and haste more that crit like we were before?

Edited by Jenn1987

Rare Patron

The priority list and the opening sequence rotations include Rune of Power.  However the suggested Single Target, Intermittent Cleave, and Heavy Cleave/AOE (Stacked) talent choices do not include Rune of Power as a selection.  Am I missing something or does this need to be updated?

On 11/24/2017 at 11:35 PM, Jenn1987 said:

Hi so i got advice here about legendaries before and went with what the guide said, i have been using the marquee wrists and the shard of exodar, today in tomb i had a chest legendary drop belo' virs final stand, my chest piece now is a 930 ilevel robes of demonic purpose, would it be worth trading the marquee wrists for the robe if i could get wrists of an item level around 930? the belo'virs final stand is not listed at all in the guide so am wondering if it is new? Also are we now trying to get mastery and haste more that crit like we were before?

You can check the gear comparison through RaidBots - it's not listed in the guide because the effect makes no difference to your DPS. You sim/compare it as you would a normal piece of 970 gear.

About the stats, I'm not sure if any changes are pending for T21, but you can still use RB/SimC to check your personal weights. 

On 11/25/2017 at 7:53 PM, BarcodeRon said:

The priority list and the opening sequence rotations include Rune of Power.  However the suggested Single Target, Intermittent Cleave, and Heavy Cleave/AOE (Stacked) talent choices do not include Rune of Power as a selection.  Am I missing something or does this need to be updated?

There's an error causing RoP to display even when it isn't selected. I'll get it fixed.

In regards of T21. Legendary gloves were probably one of weakest legendaries. However, with the large boost to Ignite, would that make them better. After all, the 9 second (not 6 as it's still in the guide) for every phoenix flame might sound as pretty decent effect.

18 hours ago, Tesel said:

In regards of T21. Legendary gloves were probably one of weakest legendaries. However, with the large boost to Ignite, would that make them better. After all, the 9 second (not 6 as it's still in the guide) for every phoenix flame might sound as pretty decent effect.

For burst AoE, yes, running the gloves with 4-set T-21 is ideal. On almost every fight in Antorus, however, you're going to lose DPS by running gloves. Bracers + Belt or Ring is the way to go atm. The only fight that could see a decent performance by gloves would be Eonar, and even then, the helm seems to perform better.

Guest Thefiremage

Leggo gloves are not worst of the leggos, especially for m+. I would suggest steering anyone serious about all things mage to the website Altered-Time. 

18 hours ago, Guest Thefiremage said:

Leggo gloves are not worst of the leggos, especially for m+. I would suggest steering anyone serious about all things mage to the website Altered-Time. 

The description of the legendary at the bottom is out of date - it wasn't updated when the new section was added. We have a section at the top of the page called "recommended legendaries" that says this about the gloves:

Marquee Bindings of the Sun King Icon Marquee Bindings of the Sun King and Pyrotex Ignition Cloth Icon Pyrotex Ignition Cloth allows for very short Combustion Icon Combustioncooldowns at the expense of overall single target damage. This can be exceptional if you need more frequent Combustions to deal with priority adds. This setup is also a clear winner on fights with a lot of cleave and AoE.

As for AT, our reviewer Rinoa is one of the Theorycrafters there for Fire, so you'll likely see the same results.

For fire mages, wouldn't crit always be important?

I mean, couldn't you just get to crit cap?

That way, you literally need to only use Scorch twice at the start of the fight for the free instant pyroblast,

then alternate between scorch and pyroblast.

Then again this is my own opinion on the matter so i could be wrong completely

Edited by Kyrone

On 1/12/2018 at 4:40 PM, Kyrone said:

For fire mages, wouldn't crit always be important?

I mean, couldn't you just get to crit cap?

That way, you literally need to only use Scorch twice at the start of the fight for the free instant pyroblast,

then alternate between scorch and pyroblast.

Then again this is my own opinion on the matter so i could be wrong completely

Reaching crit cap makes Combustion completely useless and, outside of using T21, it also makes your Firestarter completely useless.

You will stack Crit with T21, but nowhere near a crit cap, only to increase the Mastery portion of Combustion to give better Ignites. The weight of it is higher than the other stats, but not enough to completely ignore them for Crit. 

Guest Csubika

Just asking but:why is Norgannon's Prowess and Terminus Signaling Beacon left out from the BIS trinket list? are they totally worthless? i dont want to farm TOS Trinkets or Arcano (as it has 0% chance to drop in this expansion...not in high ilvl for sure). I think Norgannon and Terminus are strong and pairing 1of them with Acrid Catalyst Injector would be a good choice but correct me if im wrong. i dont main mage just playing as alt char so i ask instead of doin shit :D

Also: many mentoined a crit cap. Can u tell me around how much crit should i have? (in %) 

Thx a lot.

On 1/21/2018 at 4:46 AM, Guest Csubika said:

Just asking but:why is Norgannon's Prowess and Terminus Signaling Beacon left out from the BIS trinket list? are they totally worthless? i dont want to farm TOS Trinkets or Arcano (as it has 0% chance to drop in this expansion...not in high ilvl for sure). I think Norgannon and Terminus are strong and pairing 1of them with Acrid Catalyst Injector would be a good choice but correct me if im wrong. i dont main mage just playing as alt char so i ask instead of doin shit :D

Norgannon's is a solid trinket, especially since it can only be found at 940 and very easily upgraded, but when things are listed at equal item level (as the priority is), it's actually a very weak trinket. A 985 Terror from Below beats a base item level 1000 Norgannon's. If you manage to get a 5-Panth proc, at item level 1000, it's worse than a Tarnished Sentinel at 985. Norgannon's becomes the BiS trinket, even over Amanthul's if you have 15+ Pantheon's in the raid.

As for Terminus, at least on single target, it's roughly equivalent to a Sheath of Ashara with both at 985. It's equivalent on single target to something like an item level 885 Tarnished Sentinel. It's really weak on ST. For AoE, it can be great if you used it correctly, but burst adds (where it thrives) often die before it finishes its duration.

Best answer, really, is sim your trinkets. Raidbots makes things incredibly simple and removes the need for different item level comparisons.

Guest Random Mage

I saw the Icy Veins guide that was posted on reddit and saw a mistake. On section 4.2. Level 30, Blast Wave is listed as unchanged, but there is a knock back added to it in BFA. Good day.+

On 6/20/2018 at 2:40 AM, Guest Random Mage said:

I saw the Icy Veins guide that was posted on reddit and saw a mistake. On section 4.2. Level 30, Blast Wave is listed as unchanged, but there is a knock back added to it in BFA. Good day.+

Thanks for the heads up!

This guide will be updated for the release of the pre-patch of Battle for Azeroth in the next few days. We are aiming to have every guide deployed prior to the patch going live.

Please note that a new feedback thread will be created for the new guide, meaning that this one will be archived. Any feedback you have for the new guide should be placed in the new comment thread.

Thank you all for your patience and we are working to get the new guides up as soon as possible.