FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

13 hours ago, Enfo said:

What is the minimum/maximum of haste you have to get ?

I'm not sure there is a minimum amount frankly. 

Simply push for as much Crit and Mastery as possible and you'll do better than if you actively look for Haste.

Guest Malefic

Noob question.  I'm leveling my fire mage (104 now) and trying to get the most out of my 1 combustion per fight (rares, dungeon bosses, etc).

I've been using Phoenix's Flames to proc Hot Streak then popping Combustion and doing the 4 Fireblasts followed by 1 or ideally 2 Phoenix's Flames to prime my Pyroblasts.  I also find myself slightly delaying my Fireblasts to see if my Pyroblasts will proc Pyromaniac, which seems to happen frequently enough.  I don't think I'm wasting time since I use the Fireblasts and Pyroblasts back to back almost instantly but wanted to see what other people think.  

TLDR:

1. is it worth saving up 3 Phoenix' Flames to max out Fireblasts for Combustion window?

2. is it worth slightly delaying Fireblasts during Combustion to see if Pyromaniac will proc, then hitting Fireblast and Pyroblast together?

Guest Leetpanda

am i missing something here? in the guide it lists the stat weights as follows:

1. Intellect: 1.00
  2. Critical Strike: 1.30
  3. Versatility: 0.84
  4. Haste: 0.81
  5. Mastery: 0.76

I thought that mastery was supposed to be 3rd most important? not versatility? is this a typo?

Guest Domismash

Hi i was wondering a few things, one was instead of using insta pyro after rune and combustion, would maybe loading up a fireball and combustion pyro after work? gives an insta pyro - the 1.8 seconds on the rune ofc.
Also how do you feel about scorchin instead of phoenix, i feel sometimes the long cooldown until next combustion is really slow, and i like to have my phoenix flames as crit makers. 
To summarize, my combo is 
Hot streak, rune, fireball (combustion before cast), insta pyro, flame blast, pyro, flame on, flame blast, pyro, flame blast, pyro, scorch, pyro. 1 phoenix flame, pyro. the last pyro doesnt crit with rune, but it feel its slightly better. 
Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Guest Leetpanda said:

am i missing something here? in the guide it lists the stat weights as follows:

1. Intellect: 1.00
  2. Critical Strike: 1.30
  3. Versatility: 0.84
  4. Haste: 0.81
  5. Mastery: 0.76

I thought that mastery was supposed to be 3rd most important? not versatility? is this a typo?

Mastery is only ranked third to give a general overview, as stated by Furty in the guide. It is actually very strong on AoE and becomes the most important stat, but it's not great on single target. This is why it is listed so far down on the stat weights.

As the value of Mastery rapidly inflates with number of targets, it is still recommended that you focus stacking it after Critical Strike. It is close in value to Haste and Versatility on single target, but far outpaces them once at least one secondary target is present and stacked.

2 hours ago, Guest Domismash said:

Hi i was wondering a few things, one was instead of using insta pyro after rune and combustion, would maybe loading up a fireball and combustion pyro after work? gives an insta pyro - the 1.8 seconds on the rune ofc.
Also how do you feel about scorchin instead of phoenix, i feel sometimes the long cooldown until next combustion is really slow, and i like to have my phoenix flames as crit makers. 
To summarize, my combo is 
Hot streak, rune, fireball (combustion before cast), insta pyro, flame blast, pyro, flame on, flame blast, pyro, flame blast, pyro, scorch, pyro. 1 phoenix flame, pyro. the last pyro doesnt crit with rune, but it feel its slightly better. 
Thoughts?

By doing this, you just waste the time in Combustion with a Fireball, rather than a GCD that a Pyro/PF could fill. I'm not going to bother simming this simply because Pyro > FB in damage.

Definitely not for the second part. Scorch is definitely not a replacement for PF, sorry.

Guest Sawboss

2. Relic Choice

1. Icon Pyroclasmic Paranoia is best for the increased Pyroblast Icon Pyroblast damage.
  2. Icon Fire at Will is great for reduced Fireball Icon Fireball cast time.
  3. Icon Everburning Consumption is very valuable for cleave and AoE (not above Pyro damage though).
  4. Icon Burning Gaze is alright though the multiplier is low.
  5. Fireball Icon Fireball damage.
  6. Any of the other damage traits.
So do i got like the numbers 1 is best 2 is beter if il is higher and 3 aswell  il higher and than i take it over number one ?

4 hours ago, Guest Sawboss said:

So do i got like the numbers 1 is best 2 is beter if il is higher and 3 aswell  il higher and than i take it over number one ?

#1 is indeed the best. If you find a relic with the trait ranked #2 that is AT LEAST 2 item levels higher, it should perform better. That seems to be the general item level vs. relic difference in DPS.

Guest Domismash
18 hours ago, Blainie said:

By doing this, you just waste the time in Combustion with a Fireball, rather than a GCD that a Pyro/PF could fill. I'm not going to bother simming this simply because Pyro > FB in damage.

Definitely not for the second part. Scorch is definitely not a replacement for PF, sorry.

I think i phrased myself wrong, i cast combustion just before the release of the fireball, together with a hot streaked pyro.
But seeing your answer makes sense, Thanks for explaining!

I'm sitting at:

Crit: 48%

Mastery: 22%

Item level: 850

I'm pulling about 180k total damage in "The Emerald Nightmare," but I know some mages are pulling up to 250k total. Not sure what I can do to improve my DPS about 50k. Any suggestions, or any ideas as to what usually causes one to not put out max DPS?

13 hours ago, Guest Domismash said:

I think i phrased myself wrong, i cast combustion just before the release of the fireball, together with a hot streaked pyro.

Then that start should be fine, yes.

13 hours ago, Guest Domismash said:

But seeing your answer makes sense, Thanks for explaining!

That's no problem. Hope it helped! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

3 minutes ago, Sibelius said:

Any suggestions, or any ideas as to what usually causes one to not put out max DPS?

In all honesty, there could be so many factors here. Could you take a log of yourself DPSing and post it on our Mage forums? I can take a look and help you there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blainie said:

In all honesty, there could be so many factors here. Could you take a log of yourself DPSing and post it on our Mage forums? I can take a look and help you there.

That would be great! How do I take a log of that?

Guest Domismash
On 9/23/2016 at 10:07 AM, Blainie said:

Then that start should be fine, yes.

That's no problem. Hope it helped! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Im interested in your input about replacing an item that is -5 or 10 ilvl, but has crit for example.
Also, i usually never find time to use another flame on before second combustion, since the cd will be longer then that of combustion, how do you do?

The best way to tell this is to sim it. At lower crit levels (less than 60%), crit is better. 5 or 10 ilvl differences are usually negligible, so putting a piece with crit could potentially be better (especially if it's a ring or neck, since they don't have intellect)

For the second question, are you using Kindling or Cinderstorm as your last talent? For Kindling, you should only use Flame On during Combustion. With Cinderstorm, you should use Flame On almost on cooldown, ie: Opening sequence burst - 1st Flame On > Flame On comes off cooldown - 2nd Flame On, together with RoP for a mini-burst > Flame On off cooldown, Combustion should still have very few seconds remaining, use them together etc.

Guest Domismash
57 minutes ago, Zadina said:

The best way to tell this is to sim it. At lower crit levels (less than 60%), crit is better. 5 or 10 ilvl differences are usually negligible, so putting a piece with crit could potentially be better (especially if it's a ring or neck, since they don't have intellect)

For the second question, are you using Kindling or Cinderstorm as your last talent? For Kindling, you should only use Flame On during Combustion. With Cinderstorm, you should use Flame On almost on cooldown, ie: Opening sequence burst - 1st Flame On > Flame On comes off cooldown - 2nd Flame On, together with RoP for a mini-burst > Flame On off cooldown, Combustion should still have very few seconds remaining, use them together etc.

Im using kindling as my last talent, my crit is atm 42%, not the best but gets me around 180k dps atm while raiding.
Also is cauterize better then shimmer or is it a preferance thing? i like the double blink personally

It's a matter of personal preference, but in general Cauterize is better for progression.

1 hour ago, Guest Domismash said:

Im using kindling as my last talent, my crit is atm 42%, not the best but gets me around 180k dps atm while raiding.
Also is cauterize better then shimmer or is it a preferance thing? i like the double blink personally

Just adding a few points to what Zadina said.

Firstly, I'd take the piece with crit for 5-10 item levels. If you're looking at something like Haste/Vers vs. Crit/Mastery, I'd take it over 20 item levels.

For rings/necks, it's even more drastic. I currently use a Haste/Versatility neck that is 840 on my Paladin rather than an 875 one simply because the stats are perfect. The same applies to Fire Mage.

For Cauterize vs. Shimmer, it basically depends on you as a player. If you're confident in your ability to move from stuff, use Shimmer. If you want to max DPS, use Shimmer. If you die a lot or you're uncertain of/learning a fight, use Cauterize. Generally, I will Cauterize for the first pull to get used to mechanics, then move to Shimmer.

Generic comment being mass posted over the comments threads guys.

We are aware of the changes and our writers are working hard to update the guides to suit what has changed. Currently, there is a lot of work still to be done and it's unlikely that every guide will be up-to-date immediately. Expect a flood of updates over the coming days that will answer all of your questions about what is now best after X change, in time for the reset next week.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Guest Nuramon

Hey, atm I'm sitting at allmost 60% crit and would like to ask, if its still worth going for crit. Do the stat weights chance at some point? Is there a crit cap?

1 hour ago, Guest Nuramon said:

Hey, atm I'm sitting at allmost 60% crit and would like to ask, if its still worth going for crit. Do the stat weights chance at some point? Is there a crit cap?

Currently, yes, you continue to keep stacking crit. I believe there might be some changes coming next week to the priorities, so keep an eye on it.

Guest cpljaide

Hey Guys,

what do you think about the Stat Versatility on FireMage? I found 3 ilvl 870 items with CRIT/Versatility this day, but i lose some CRIT and Mastery for Versatility (other items ~845-850)...

Would you wear the 870s for Staminy/Int and dont care about 2nd Stat Versatlity if u dont lose too much Crit? :S It feels frustrating to use 845 just for Mastery and maybe ~60 Crit when u can have 870...

:)