FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

Guest Bahlette

So, I have what is probably a noob question, as I'm only a casual player. They removed Blink and gave us Shimmer. However, for the weapon enhancement where we use our artifact power, they have Blink. Am I missing something? I don't have Blink anymore, as a Fire mage. Is this just an error on Blizzard's part, and it should really say "Shimmer"?

6 hours ago, Guest Bahlette said:

So, I have what is probably a noob question, as I'm only a casual player. They removed Blink and gave us Shimmer. However, for the weapon enhancement where we use our artifact power, they have Blink. Am I missing something? I don't have Blink anymore, as a Fire mage. Is this just an error on Blizzard's part, and it should really say "Shimmer"?

Cauterizing Blink works for both Blink & Shimmer. Additionally, Blink wasn't removed as Shimmer is an optional talent.

On 12/20/2016 at 3:39 AM, Guest Afsharin said:

I don't see any mention of Unstable Horrorslime anywhere (http://www.wowhead.com/item=138224/unstable-horrorslime). I have an 880 version and its really good in mythic + and any boss with any cleave. Even single target it still does enough to have as a first pick. Why no mention of it?

Will put in a note, but I would assume that the trinket loses value rapidly as the player becomes more geared. Will check with Furty anyway! :)

The guides are currently being updated for 7.1.5! I just wanted to leave a few notes for all of our users that might be getting ready to leave a comment:

• Some pages do not require updates. The "Last Updated" stat does not mean the page is out of date, it might just not have needed any changes. If you feel that it does, leave a comment telling us what needs changing and why.
  • The process will not happen immediately - some guides will be updated faster than others simply due to the number of resources available. Be patient, they'll be ready when you need them!
  • There might be some continuity errors when making small adjustments to large guide pages. If you do find one of these, just let us know in the comments and we'll get it fixed ASAP.
  • "Why have you not taken into account X buff to X ability?" - remember, just because something got buffed, it doesn't mean it is now automatically better than the other options!

As always, we want to thank you all for being patient while we get things updated and I'm always available to help you all if you need it :)

I am trying to wrap my head around why Furty updated the guide replacing Kindling with Meteor.

I am going to assume, due to the stat changes, crit won't be as big of a deal therefore less crits makes Kindling less meaningful and should take a pure damage talent.

Otherwise I have no idea why he would do that.

Guest Krazyposts
2 hours ago, Thazi said:

I am trying to wrap my head around why Furty updated the guide replacing Kindling with Meteor.

I am going to assume, due to the stat changes, crit won't be as big of a deal therefore less crits makes Kindling less meaningful and should take a pure damage talent.

I'm in no way a mage expert or something but maybe it has to do with the fact that combustion has been nerfed, and now it only gives you mastery equal to 50% of your crit rating, therefore the heavy dot that you used to accumulate during your burst is not that powerful anymore.

3 minutes ago, Guest Krazyposts said:

I'm in no way a mage expert or something but maybe it has to do with the fact that combustion has been nerfed, and now it only gives you mastery equal to 50% of your crit rating, therefore the heavy dot that you used to accumulate during your burst is not that powerful anymore.

2 hours ago, Thazi said:

Combustion nerfed, Rune of Power nerfed, Flame On redesigned, and sustained damage & Meteor buffed. Meteor also syncs perfectly with Rune and contributes to ignite. 

Not sure if this is the right place to report issues with the 7.1.5 guide, but the talents page seems to have a left-over paragraph for Kindling. The Tier 7 talent section says both:

Kindling Icon Kindling is the go-to talent for raiding. A large percentage of Fire damage derives from your Combustion Icon Combustion, making this talent an imperative for maximizing ouput.

Kindling Icon Kindling can be an option if the timings of the fight require more frequent Combustion Icon Combustions, or an intermission phase lines up with your cooldown causing it to be further delayed. On a normal fight, however, this talent is inferior to the other options currently.

I'm assuming the first one should have been removed?

Edited by alecb

So we got alot of changes to our playstyle with the removal of Ice Flows (from fire) and the nerfs (combustion, RoP etc.). anybody broke down the best dps talents and rotations yet? (since its wednesday, raid day...) #daretoask

Edited by Bluelabel
text flaws

Kindling not really good for raiding anymore. Meteor for ST, Cinderstorm for AoE.

Mirror Image has been buffed by a ton and it is probably the best in Single Target atm. RoP better for AoE (although it works well with meteor and meteor is good for ST, so not really sure which is the best in that line).

Flame On is still the best choice in its tier. If you have the DB helm, Alexstrasza's Fury is probably better though. (not 100% sure about that too).

The rotation shouldn't have changed that much. Use Meteor/CiS on cooldown, line up your 3 (if you are using Flame On) Fire Blasts for Combustion. More about this SOON.

I can't edit my post for some reason, but according to the latest sims it looks like Cinderstorm might be better in Single Target as well, granted that all 6 cinders hit. But generally, don't take anything for 100% certain for the first few days until things stabilise and we have more concrete info.

After raid last night, I can say depending on your current gear, either ROP or Mirror Image will be better.

For me, with my current legendaries, the chest and belt, Mirror Image did way more damage overall over ROP.

I don't believe Cinderstorm will pull ahead, but that very well may be the case.  Also, most likely gear dependent.

Uncommon Patron

From Pedantic corner, on the talent page Unstable Magic says blah blah, Arcane Blast, .... the dreaded copy paste bug!

Sorry, I'll crawl off now :)

On 1/11/2017 at 4:48 AM, alecb said:

I'm assuming the first one should have been removed?

I believe so, yeah. I'll pass this on, thanks!

20 hours ago, Bluelabel said:

So we got alot of changes to our playstyle with the removal of Ice Flows (from fire) and the nerfs (combustion, RoP etc.). anybody broke down the best dps talents and rotations yet? (since its wednesday, raid day...) #daretoask

I mean, that's basically what the guide is for - showing the best DPS talents and rotation.

5 hours ago, JJ77 said:

From Pedantic corner, on the talent page Unstable Magic says blah blah, Arcane Blast, .... the dreaded copy paste bug!

Sorry, I'll crawl off now :)

I've noted this for the writer, thanks!

1 minute ago, Guest Just curious said:

When will the stat weights be posted??

As far as I am aware, they will be updated along with the rest of the gear page very soon. They were slightly more delayed than the rest of the guide. Sorry for the wait!

Guest Merov

Hi, on '1.1 Trinket Notes' Wriggling Sinew has gone from the list, is this intended?

Thanks.

Guest Question

So with the updated trinket list ranking both Aran's Relaxing Ruby and Wriggling Sinew are completely gone for some reason, despite being the top 2 trinkets from before beating many in the current ranking. In addition I have never seen Unstable Horrorslime listed both for the old ranking and the new one. Just want to know if 7.1.5 really flipped the table on trinkets or if they were simply forgotten.

5 minutes ago, Guest Question said:

So with the updated trinket list ranking both Aran's Relaxing Ruby and Wriggling Sinew are completely gone for some reason, despite being the top 2 trinkets from before beating many in the current ranking. In addition I have never seen Unstable Horrorslime listed both for the old ranking and the new one. Just want to know if 7.1.5 really flipped the table on trinkets or if they were simply forgotten.

Aran's was nerfed, and the more sustained output tends to favor other trinkets than Wriggling Sinew.

With Combustion being a less powerful cooldown than it was pre-patch and Wriggling Sinew always being used during Combustion, it's natural that this trinket isn't as good anymore. With the changes to secondary stats, it also gives less Crit than before.

On the other hand, since Wriggling Sinew has lost its power, Unstable Horrorslime is now a better option since it has Crit and a proc effect (in contrast to an on-use effect that you should save for Combustion).

Aran's Relaxing Ruby had its proc rate heavily nerfed and the fact that you have to rely on it dropping Warforged/Titanforged also hurts it. It's still one of the best trinket choices for AoE fights, though. It's also better to use it alone now than with the Robe from Nightbane, since the Robe's item level is low compared to the new chests dropping in Nighthold.

EDIT - oops, just noticed that Furty had already answered, but there you have two answers now :D

Guest Jac
On 2017-01-22 at 3:07 PM, Zadina said:

With Combustion being a less powerful cooldown than it was pre-patch and Wriggling Sinew always being used during Combustion, it's natural that this trinket isn't as good anymore. With the changes to secondary stats, it also gives less Crit than before.

On the other hand, since Wriggling Sinew has lost its power, Unstable Horrorslime is now a better option since it has Crit and a proc effect (in contrast to an on-use effect that you should save for Combustion).

Aran's Relaxing Ruby had its proc rate heavily nerfed and the fact that you have to rely on it dropping Warforged/Titanforged also hurts it. It's still one of the best trinket choices for AoE fights, though. It's also better to use it alone now than with the Robe from Nightbane, since the Robe's item level is low compared to the new chests dropping in Nighthold.

EDIT - oops, just noticed that Furty had already answered, but there you have two answers now :D

The bolded part is not it at all actually. Combustion's interaction with sinew is exactly the same as before. However, you'd always have 5 stacks of pyretic incantation and RoP up when exploding SInew, which have both been nerfed significantly. Net result is that the has lost some 30% of it's on use damage, which severely devalues it.