Damien

Outlaw Rogue 7.3

316 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Outlaw Rogue guide for Legion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fofilolipop said:

One thing to note, is that Acrobatic Strikes increases the range of Blade Flurry and should not be completely ignored.

That's a good point, though I think the practical usages are still pretty slim. I'll make a notation for clarity though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Saber Slash Icon Saber Slash is your main filler and Combo Point generator. It deals moderate damage and generates 1 Combo Point each time it strikes. It has a 45% chance to strike an additional time, which also procs Opportunity Icon Opportunity.

In-game it reads as this:

Quote

Saber Slash has a 35% chance to strike an additional time, making your next Pistol Shot free.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Guest outlaw said:

In-game it reads as this:

 

Oops, I must have been using Swordmaster by accident when I wrote that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest Friizz said:

Where does Between the Eyes find it's place in rotation?

Only used if you need to stun something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pday said:

Your guide for Outlaw Rogue does not resemble the one provided by Wowhead.

It looks like Wowhead's is talking about Legion, whereas we are talking about the 7.0 prepatch here

They also seem to do more of a breakdown and an explanation of what each ability does, rather than give a set rotation like we do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acrobatic Strikes imo is huge for Outlaw rogues aoe.  An extra 3 yards of cleave means you can cleave onto infernals on Manny without being in their aoe range and can hit almost every imp.  With most guilds not having the cohesion and team work as higher end guilds to make sure imps are all dropped with in an 8 yard radius means you lose out on a quarter of the imps unless you have a mass grip and even then thats every other pac.  The aoe potential, the main chunk of outlaw's job, lost by nerfing your aoe by 3 yards in all directions i don't think is outweighed by the mobility gained by the two other choices.  The 30 second leap while good in a clutch avoidance of death no matter how cool it is doesn't outweigh it.  Not to mention most fights other than maybe Hans and Franz won't have you dashing across screen more than every minute in which sprint can be used so the extra 15% doesn't seem to be worth it either.  Even single target it gives you that extra 3 yards of room to move out of something and not lose dps on the boss.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Muguin said:

Acrobatic Strikes imo is huge for Outlaw rogues aoe.  An extra 3 yards of cleave means you can cleave onto infernals on Manny without being in their aoe range and can hit almost every imp.  With most guilds not having the cohesion and team work as higher end guilds to make sure imps are all dropped with in an 8 yard radius means you lose out on a quarter of the imps unless you have a mass grip and even then thats every other pac.  The aoe potential, the main chunk of outlaw's job, lost by nerfing your aoe by 3 yards in all directions i don't think is outweighed by the mobility gained by the two other choices.  The 30 second leap while good in a clutch avoidance of death no matter how cool it is doesn't outweigh it.  Not to mention most fights other than maybe Hans and Franz won't have you dashing across screen more than every minute in which sprint can be used so the extra 15% doesn't seem to be worth it either.  Even single target it gives you that extra 3 yards of room to move out of something and not lose dps on the boss.  

Ultimately, on a tier of  talents like this, the choices are going to be very much based on personal preference.

While you are correct in saying that the extra cleave range is useful, Grappling Hook is at least as useful for instant travel to hit a priority add, avoid mechanics, or even just  to look cool as hell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Muguin said:

Acrobatic Strikes imo is huge for Outlaw rogues aoe.  An extra 3 yards of cleave means you can cleave onto infernals on Manny without being in their aoe range and can hit almost every imp.  With most guilds not having the cohesion and team work as higher end guilds to make sure imps are all dropped with in an 8 yard radius means you lose out on a quarter of the imps unless you have a mass grip and even then thats every other pac.  The aoe potential, the main chunk of outlaw's job, lost by nerfing your aoe by 3 yards in all directions i don't think is outweighed by the mobility gained by the two other choices.  The 30 second leap while good in a clutch avoidance of death no matter how cool it is doesn't outweigh it.  Not to mention most fights other than maybe Hans and Franz won't have you dashing across screen more than every minute in which sprint can be used so the extra 15% doesn't seem to be worth it either.  Even single target it gives you that extra 3 yards of room to move out of something and not lose dps on the boss.  

If you feel your group isn't coordinated enough to ensure the targets are correctly stacked you can derive benefit from this talent. Ultimately though this tier is basically the old "Shadowstep vs. Burst of Speed" question, where most players felt that the playmaking, lifesaving, and general flexibility of step was much more useful. The same arguments apply to Grappling Hook, especially for progression. If your group isn't coordinated enough to properly stack adds on encounters, no one is forcing you to use Grappling Hook. That said, Acrobatic Strikes is most definitely an inferior talent and really only to be used if you absolutely need that extra range to compensate for a lack of stacking - certainly not something I'd recommend as a default choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to suggest using Adrenaline Rush with, say, two or more of the RtB buffs instead of specifically True Bearing?  I know the combination is good, but I just tried this on a dummy and rolled twelve times in a row before I got it and obviously that's not acceptable in a raid setting which people are coming here for advice on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Phil said:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to suggest using Adrenaline Rush with, say, two or more of the RtB buffs instead of specifically True Bearing?  I know the combination is good, but I just tried this on a dummy and rolled twelve times in a row before I got it and obviously that's not acceptable in a raid setting which people are coming here for advice on.

The cumulative probability of you not rolling True Bearing after 12 attempts is ~3.2%. You also have plenty of time in advance of Adrenaline Rush to prepare a True Bearing proc, and you only need to cover a 15-second window. Overall you're presenting a fairly unrealistic scenario, but were you to find yourself with 2-3 buffs and Adrenaline Rush off cooldown you should indeed immediately use your cooldown and try and maximize your damage inside of Adrenaline Rush. That said, it should also be known that for said situation to occur you would have made an error leading up to your Adrenaline Rush coming off cooldown which could have been avoided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my "error" was not rerolling it six times beforehand so I could... only need to reroll another six times afterwards?  :P 

Don't talk to be about cumulative probability in this game where i have spent 1000+ attempts trying to get the Raven Lord, a "five percent" drop from Anzu.  A cumulative probability that has 23 zeroes after the decimal place before you get to a number.  Eventually I just bought it from the BMAH.  You WILL get a bad run of rolls on progression, repeatedly, I guarantee it.

Also, while it's true that you only need a 1 CP RtB to "cover" the duration of AR, isn't the whole point of this fishing strategy to get maximum reduction on AR cooldown, which would require the full 55 seconds of Pandemic Deeper Strategy True Bearing?  If I had to pick 1CP buffs from Roll the Bones to maximize the effectiveness of AR during its actual uptime it would be probably a combination of Broadsides and Jolly Roger, and sharks would just be cake.  Then I'd hope to get a full duration True Bearing while it was on cooldown.

I also feel like overwriting a Buried Treasure in the now to get more AR in the future is a mistake, and would probably only do that if I could benefit from double trinket buffs under AR by doing so, so that's another edge case to work out.  Actually I think the whole concept is backwards.  you should make sure AR is on cooldown when you have True Bearing, not the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guest Phil said:

So my "error" was not rerolling it six times beforehand so I could... only need to reroll another six times afterwards?  :P 

Don't talk to be about cumulative probability in this game where i have spent 1000+ attempts trying to get the Raven Lord, a "five percent" drop from Anzu.  A cumulative probability that has 23 zeroes after the decimal place before you get to a number.  Eventually I just bought it from the BMAH.  You WILL get a bad run of rolls on progression, repeatedly, I guarantee it.

Also, while it's true that you only need a 1 CP RtB to "cover" the duration of AR, isn't the whole point of this fishing strategy to get maximum reduction on AR cooldown, which would require the full 55 seconds of Pandemic Deeper Strategy True Bearing?  If I had to pick 1CP buffs from Roll the Bones to maximize the effectiveness of AR during its actual uptime it would be probably a combination of Broadsides and Jolly Roger, and sharks would just be cake.  Then I'd hope to get a full duration True Bearing while it was on cooldown.

I also feel like overwriting a Buried Treasure in the now to get more AR in the future is a mistake, and would probably only do that if I could benefit from double trinket buffs under AR by doing so, so that's another edge case to work out.  Actually I think the whole concept is backwards.  you should make sure AR is on cooldown when you have True Bearing, not the other way around.

Adrenaline Rush goes on cooldown the moment you use it, and as you get so many finishers off during that period it is the highest return on the True Bearing buff. As someone that has more progression experience than possibly anyone barring a literal handful, I can definitely agree that occasionally bad RNG can get you down. That doesn't mean you just completely forgo a high percentage chance at the most optimal style of play. If you go into an Adrenaline Rush with a 55-second True Bearing you actually stand a pretty good chance of having an Adrenaline Rush again by the time that buff expires.

In any case, your input is appreciated, and if you want to generate some discussion or compare numbers I recommend heading over to the forums!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering whether or not it's worth it to cast Saber Slash when im at 5 combo points (using Deeper Strategem) because I have a fear that I might waste the extra combo point that Saber Slash will generate if it procs. And if i'm in the same situation with broadsides, what should I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, leapingshadow said:

I was wondering whether or not it's worth it to cast Saber Slash when im at 5 combo points (using Deeper Strategem) because I have a fear that I might waste the extra combo point that Saber Slash will generate if it procs. And if i'm in the same situation with broadsides, what should I do?

There is current some debate for all Rogue specs whether "always 6" or "5-6" is the ideal method of using finishers. What is known for certain is that the margin between these arguments is so extraordinarily small that it doesn't really matter what you do. Personally I usually do "5-6" when I have a True Bearing buff active because the CDR per Combo Point value is high enough that I feel bad wasting any CP. That said, as noted earlier, the difference in a sim is essentially negligible regardless of current buffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually..from what I've found out, if you Roll the Bones and get Shark Infested Waters(The 40% crit buff), Between the Eyes can be a quick burst damage attack. It's crits can hit harder than your Run Through when it crits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Between the Eyes said:

Actually..from what I've found out, if you Roll the Bones and get Shark Infested Waters(The 40% crit buff), Between the Eyes can be a quick burst damage attack. It's crits can hit harder than your Run Through when it crits.

Firstly, if you *don't* crit your finisher will do 4x less damage, which is a big risk for damage consistency. Generally this trade off isn't worth it, especially when Critical Strike is your least valued stat (so even with SIW your criticals aren't even near guaranteed).

Secondly, for raiding rogues in HFC you have to account for BHTV, which increased your Run Through damage by enough that it absolutely decimates BTE, whether you crit or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great guide, very enlightening, exactly what I needed.

 

A nitpick: in "Spell Summary", there's an outdated line:

You will start every fight from Stealth Icon Stealth as your Tier 2 talent provides a damage benefit to using your abilities while Stealth Icon Stealth is active.

 

Should also probably mention that in the guide:

7 hours ago, Furty said:

There is current some debate for all Rogue specs whether "always 6" or "5-6" is the ideal method of using finishers. What is known for certain is that the margin between these arguments is so extraordinarily small that it doesn't really matter what you do. Personally I usually do "5-6" when I have a True Bearing buff active because the CDR per Combo Point value is high enough that I feel bad wasting any CP. That said, as noted earlier, the difference in a sim is essentially negligible regardless of current buffs.

 because I came looking in the comment section for that specific answer :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iridar said:

 because I came looking in the comment section for that specific answer :P

Yeah, that's actually already been updated, just waiting for the changes to go live on the site :) Going to stipulate that in all three specialization guides!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
  • /target "Tank's Name"
  • /cast Tricks of the Trade
  • /targetlasttarget

/cast [target="Tanksname"] Tricks of the Trade

Is a more elegant solution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i'm using Vigor as my tier 3 talent choice, should I choose to go "always 5" or go "4-5"?

During my rotation, how many combo points should I spend on Roll the Bones and when should I refresh it?

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym

       
      Vengeance DH Pain generation fixes, Antorus fixes as well as a Varimathras Mythic nerf are the focus of today's hotfixes.
      December 12 (source)
      Classes
      Demon Hunter Vengeance Demon Hunters now correctly generate Pain when damaged by certain abilities.  
      Dungeons and Raids
      Seat of the Triumvirate Players may now complete "Seat of the Triumvirate: The Crest of Knowledge" while in a raid group. Antorus, The Burning Throne Corrected an issue where raids that queued for LFR difficulty could fail to get loot. Garothi Worldbreaker The damage reduction from Apocalypse Drive and from a Druid’s Earthwarden can now activate during the Garothi Worldbreaker encounter. Hounds of Sargeras Resolved an issue that could cause multiple tank-specialization characters to gain Shadowtouched (or Flametouched) simultaneously. Portal Keeper Hasabel Traversing any of the portals within Portal Keeper Hasabel's arena no longer removes your Well Fed buff. Varimathras [WITH SERVER RESTARTS IN EACH REGION] Varimathras' health lowered by 10% in Mythic difficulty. [WITH SERVER RESTARTS IN EACH REGION] Necrotic Embrace will no longer miss players who are under the effects of Aspect of the Turtle or Cloak of Shadows. Previous patch 7.3.2 hotfixes:
      December 6 December 5 December 1 November 21 November 14
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Secret Hunter deck list guide.
    • By joat
      Who We Are
      Tequila Sundown is a growing raid team formed within the <Karma Horde> guild on US-Stormreaver. Lead by a husband/wife team with high-level raiding experience dating back to WotLK, we're a "positively determined" progression team that maintains a light-hearted atmosphere while tackling mythic difficulty content. We're mature adults with jobs and family seeking like-minded players who have a passion for the game but want to avoid the needless angst or drama that often gets associated with progression raiding. We log on to have fun - so come have some fun with us!

      A Team Within a Community
      Our raid team is one of four within the larger guild of <Karma Horde>, which was formed back during WotLK. As such, the guild and Discord are very active and social. There are always people around online and in-game. The community atmosphere is welcoming and friendly to players of all levels. The guild enforces a Code of Conduct that has zero tolerance for hate/offensive speech.

      We care more about the people we play with than their item levels or progression rankings. We want players who are going to log in on non-raid nights and be down for all the other things we're into: pushing mythic+, doing world quests, PVP shenanigans, achievement hunting, hyper-competitive fishing.. there's so much to do and so many ways to enjoy the game. This is our favorite hobby and we'd like to play with you if it is yours, too.

      Progression Goals
      We are 5/11-Heroic 11/11-Normal Antorus, having killed every boss we've pulled.
      We strive for a fun environment that takes the challenges of mythic seriously and giving the content the respect it deserves. Our aim is, as all mythic teams, full clear of content but with always keeping the friendly spirit of camaraderie alive. Performance matters, but so does staying positive and finding the fun in the difficulty of a raid.
      We do not require mythic raid experience to join our team but we do expect mythic-level dedication and accountability from all of our raiders.

      Raid Days/Times
      Our mandatory raids are:
      Tuesdays 8:45pm PT - 11:45pm PT
      Thursdays 8:45pm PT - 11:45pm PT
      Optional:
      Sundays 8:45pm PT - 11:45pm PT
      Sundays are for raiding the previous raid difficulty.

      Recruitment Needs
      DPS:  YES. Ranged DPS - will consider all, but would love to pick up a hunter, mage, and elemental shaman. Melee DPS - prefer enhance shaman or survival hunter.
      Healers: NO. No current needs.
      Tank: NO. No current needs.

      The Nitty Gritty
      If you're intrigued, please check out our wiki on the <Karma Horde> subreddit. This will give you the inside picture on how we operate as a raid team.
      https://www.reddit.com/r/FTH/wiki/tequilasundown

      Contact Us
      You can reach us on bnet: joat#1832 & lambkill#1856
      or Discord: joat#6049 & saever#4432
    • By Starym

       
      Featuring all the articles related to the Tier 21 raid race.
      This is the hub for the Antorus: the Burning Throne Mythic progress coverage, featuring all the articles related to the race.
      Antorus M Race Day 7: Aggramar WF Video - 19 guilds now progressing on Argus and Method and Limit share their Aggramar kill videos.
      Antorus M Race Day 6: Argus Mythic Footage - Style War stream Argus progress and we get to see the Mythic phase, 9 guilds on Argus now and Sco explains why Antorus isn't clear yet.
      Antorus M Race Day 3: Exorsus 10/11, Coven Video - Some hotfix troubles slow Exorsus down but they still catch up, we get another WF video and Asia guilds are back in the overall top 5.
      Antorus M Progress Day 2: Only Argus Left - Method are back on top, there's only 1 boss remaining and we get WF kill videos up to 8/11.
      Antorus M Progress Day 1: 9 Down 2 to Go - Limit dominate day one and we see all but 2 bosses die.
      Antorus Mythic Progress + History of WF Stats - A primer for the race and a rundown of old World Firsts by faction.
    • By Starym

       
      Method released their kill video for Antorus' penultimate boss earlier today and Limit followed suit soon after:

      Today also saw another big bunch of Aggramar kills, with the total number of guilds on 10/11 rising to 19. We had two more Asia kills (regional 3rd and 4th place), as Skyline and Ding Xin grabbed the 10th and 11 overall spots, Libertad with the EU 6th in 12th, Honestly with the US/OC 3rd in 13th followed by 6 more EU guilds.
      Argus survived another day and has only 1 more left before Method and Exorsus head into the second rest, with US guilds already in week 2 and Asia guilds getting a bit more time after EU servers reset.