FORUMS
Damien

Shadow Priest 7.3

Guest N1gh7h4wk

Rotation, Cooldowns and Abilitys:

5.5.2 States that VT has a 24 second duration. Its duration is 18 seconds.

Additionaly, to avoid misinterpretation, i would suggest to call the " high AoE damage " in the introduction something like "high sustained multidot (<4 targets) damage", since spriest is nowhere near any burst aoe class. That is somehow misleading for a beginner.

39 minutes ago, Guest N1gh7h4wk said:

Rotation, Cooldowns and Abilitys:

5.5.2 States that VT has a 24 second duration. Its duration is 18 seconds.

Additionaly, to avoid misinterpretation, i would suggest to call the " high AoE damage " in the introduction something like "high sustained multidot (<4 targets) damage", since spriest is nowhere near any burst aoe class. That is somehow misleading for a beginner.

Thank you for pointing these out. Not sure when VT changed to 18 but it must have been pretty recent. I'm fixing it now, and I'm also going to incorporate your suggestion for the introduction page.

Guest Askepios

Should include Intuition's Gift under trinket compare.

The VT lasting 24sec error was my mistake. I brainfarted back to earlier in beta when VT was 24sec and SWP was 18sec (@ 3 sec period) before both got changed. Apologies!

• Like 1

Guest 7.0.3 has no SP

Spellpower merged into intellect, but showing as a stat req.  :)  Might want to tweak that. 

Thanks for the great job on the Shadowpriest.

In the talents Tier 6 (level 90), it states that Mindbender has replaced Shadowfiend, but on the page with the rotations, there are several references to Shadowfiend, in the single and multiple target rotations; against 4 or more targets, and in several sections dealing with cooldowns.

On July 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Guest 7.0.3 has no SP said:

Spellpower merged into intellect, but showing as a stat req.  :)  Might want to tweak that. 

I'll let Twintop take that one. Thanks for the comment.

21 hours ago, FreddyJ said:

Thanks for the great job on the Shadowpriest.

In the talents Tier 6 (level 90), it states that Mindbender has replaced Shadowfiend, but on the page with the rotations, there are several references to Shadowfiend, in the single and multiple target rotations; against 4 or more targets, and in several sections dealing with cooldowns.

I'm glad you like the guide.

Mindbender only replaces Shadowfiend if you actually choose the talent, which isn't always the case. So, unless you do choose it, Shadowfiend does still exist as a spell, which is why the rotation page refers to it. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks for the reply.  When I read the line in Level 90 talent, "Mindbender replaces Shadowfiend," I took that as the gospel lol.

On 7/21/2016 at 6:35 AM, Guest 7.0.3 has no SP said:

There still may be effects that increase your Intellect's effect (multiplicatively) and others that merely increase your raw Spell Power. In this event, Int > SP. While they are effectively identical in the vast majority of cases it is worth calling it out.

Edited by Twintop

Guest dscutt

The tier 7 talents leave a bit to be wanted. Surrender to Madness is awesome for what it does, but the other choices are kinda lackluster. I take Mind Spike, because activating Void Form earlier just means a shorter Void Form. But you guys say Mind Spike isn't worth taking... so, here's to hoping they take another look at this row. Mind Spike having the relationship with Mind Blast that it used to have, with it's current mechanic, that'd bring it back up to max-level-talent status. Essentially giving us Void Form Easy Mode, Void Form Hardcore Mode, and alternative-to-Void-Form haste mode.

I find this guide quite confusing, could someone please explain. Under the Single Target Rotation, Build Phase, it says "1. Cast Void Eruption", but that isn't possible without 100 Insanity so how can that be step1?  How is one supposed to generate that insanity?

Edited by Clin
Typo

1 hour ago, Clin said:

I find this guide quite confusing, could someone please explain. Under the Single Target Rotation, Build Phase, it says "1. Cast Void Eruption", but that isn't possible without 100 Insanity so how can that be step1?  How is one supposed to generate that insanity?

That's not step 1 per say, but rather your number 1 priority thing to do.  The rotations given are more priority lists than they are step-by-step rotations.  

19 hours ago, Clin said:

As Orthios says (and as the guide states), the rotation is a priority. So yeah, if you are in the build phase, your top priority is to enter Voidform. If you can't do that (because you don't have the required Insanity), you move on to #2 and so on.

What was mentioned earlier about how the rotation is confusing, as a new player, I can attest to that. 
I understood there was a skill that was not ready to use, Void Eruption, to enter Voidform.
If you cannot use Void Eruption as #1, it should not be the first step in the build phase. 
Build means you are building up to be able to use Void Eruption to enter Voidform.

The way I see it, the Build Phase is actually :

Build Phase (not in Voidform)
1. Apply and maintain Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch.
2. Cast Mind Blast. (cast when available - when appoaching 100% insanity save to use after entering Voidform)
3. Cast Mind Flay as your filler spell. (when Mind Blast is not available)

To me, this is the easiest most logical representation of how the rotation should begin. 
When I saw Void Eruption as #1, I thought my skill was bugged ha

The point you're missing here is that the rotation is NOT A STEP-BY-STEP guide.  Using Void Eruption is not step 1, it is your #1 Priority.  

Guest Mikaiah
On 24/07/2016 at 7:58 AM, Guest dscutt said:

I take Mind Spike, because activating Void Form earlier just means a shorter Void Form. 

Not quite, just means you can enter voidform faster but as the insanity drain is low at the begining, you will continue to gain more insanity once you enter voidform. I like this talent because it means larger uptime of voidform and it doesnt require you to die. great for leveling and mobing in general, not useless at all in raiding conditions. Under perfect conditions, StM is better for sure for raiding unless maybe for very long fights?

On 7/27/2016 at 0:27 PM, Orthios said:

The point you're missing here is that the rotation is NOT A STEP-BY-STEP guide.  Using Void Eruption is not step 1, it is your #1 Priority.  

That makes sense that it is priority #1, but doesn't make it any less confusing putting a #1 in front of it as a "building phase".  You don't begin a building phase with the one thing you are building up to get to.  It should be at the end #5 .. or not even be a part of the build phase at all.

I'm just saying it could be phrased different so there is less confusion.

Just read it to yourself and you might think the same way. Think if you were new to these set of skills, which most are who are reading these guides..

Build Phase (not in Voidform Icon Voidform)

1. Cast Void Eruption Icon Void Eruption (to enter Voidform).
Edited by tir

Guest Staffarinus

Since Mastery is boosting Vamp Touch, Shadow word Pain, and Mind Blast.. and since every recount stat ive seen from my own priest, shows me that Vamp Touch is by far the suprior damage from the shadowpriest, followed up by shadow word pain, and then mind blast, and then void bolt..

Wouldnt it be wiser to actually build towards Mastery, instead of Crit?

I mean.. the Crit litterally only helps if you choose Shadowry Apprition.. and even if you rely on those to deal damage, shadowry appritiation is still far down on the damage scale, and is nothing compared to the above spells mentioned..

Have anyone tried building a Mastery, Haste, Versatility/Crit or Crit/Versatility and compared if the damage output was higher, then the current recommendations of this guide?

Just wondering.. cuz i see more potential in the Mastery and Haste, rather then the Crit/haste.. im currently using Crit/haste myself.. but.. u know.. seems obvious somehow that the damage will increase with the mastery.. somehow..

Guest Téa

Could someone help me with the new Shadow Priest rotation for PVP? Additionally, I always seem to get locked down by melee, also my survivability is horrible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mastery doesn't boost Mind Blast, it boosts Void Bolt (in addition to Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch). Once we have Mass Hysteria (major artifact trait) your overall damage sources will even out a bit in regard to stats, but right now the biggest DPS gains come from: 1) staying in Voidform as long as possible (haste primarily, crit secondary via Auspicious Spirits), and 2) multidotting (haste for faster DoT ticks, then Mastery). Looking at HFC in the prepatch there aren't many encounters where you'll get full duration on your DoTs on secondary targets, with that largely only being on Council, Tyrant, and Archimonde. In general Mastery is poor for us in the prepatch.

Guest Szerated

Hi, I didn't see anything about an opener, but your priority list would lead me to believe you would open with Mind blast and not dots. Is this the case?

And maybe this is going too far into the weeds here, but there are going to be situations where your priority list changes that aren't reflected. For example: at a certain number of enemies, mind blast becomes less effective than mind sear. This would be further compounded I would think by voidform and lingering insanity haste. This would also make mind sear more effective than mind blast at a certain point.

Any thoughts on this?

Guest OrbBoi

In my eyes the optimal opener would be

Pot -> MB at 1sec -> MindBender-> VT -> SW:P -> MF -> MB -> Void Eruption ->MF until VB is ready -> VB -> MF -> normal voidform rotation

The normal voidform rotation is a real rotation if you can stand still:  VB -> MB -> Filler -> VB -> 2GCD filler -> repeat

What I think is of note here: I start with VT, then SW:P even though I have SW:P talented. I feel that it allows me to guarantee an extension of SW:P with the first Void Bolt - when sometimes it's really close if you go SW:P into VT at the low levels of haste you have before your very first voidform.

Also, at least with 4t18, I don't think you can afford to delay Mindbender at all.

Guest Vitalis

Does casters and spriests still have haste breakpoints?

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      The Frog Farm nerf in MoP Remix has created a significant power disparity among players. Could Blizzard have taken a different approach to address this issue?
      The MoP Remix has only been out for four days, but players quickly discovered an optimal way to level up their cloaks and gain infinite stats through the Frog Farm. However, Blizzard has now nerfed the Frog Farm into the ground, leaving those who took advantage of it crazily overpowered compared to everyone else.
      In some extreme cases, a single healer is capable of sustaining a 25-man raid.

Source
      There are also reports of players with 70K stamina and 6-7K in each stat.
      DPS meters show pre-nerf Frog farmers vastly outperforming everyone else in the raid.

Source
      So, what’s the issue? If you didn't farm frogs before the nerf, catching up seems nearly impossible unless Blizzard intervenes. The Bronze Cache buff buff isn't addressing the core problem.
      Let’s consider MoP Remix for a moment. It’s a limited-time event, and while Timerunners will carry over to retail for War Within, the items won’t. Despite this, players are frustrated and voicing their concerns on the official forums and elsewhere.

But how can Blizzard fix this problem? Many community members point to scaling issues. For instance, there are reports of tanks getting one-shot in Normal Difficulty dungeons and Heroic content featuring bosses with 50 million health that can annihilate DPS with just two hits.
      Another talks about how Heroic content has bosses with 50 million health that take minutes to kill and destroys the DPS with two hits.
      The community's proposed solution is to nerf scaling at max level across the board. Do you agree with this approach or do you think Frog farmers should get nerfed and their power reverted? Should Blizzard maybe reduce the gear upgrading costs? How else could Blizzard handle this situation? Share your thoughts in the comments!
    • By Stan
      In the latest War Within Alpha build, Demonology Warlocks got new talents that makes them summon a raid boss and other changes that we've summarized in our latest post!
      Warlock
      Abyssal Dominion- Cataclysm summons an Overfiend that casts Chaos Bolt 2 times at 80% effectiveness before departing.  Summon Infernal becomes empowered, dealing 40% increased damage. When your Summon Infernal ends, it fragments into two smaller Infernals at 50% effectiveness that lasts 10 sec. Vile Taint- Unleashes a vile explosion at the target location, dealing [ 93.75% 117.19% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 10 sec to 30 enemies within 10 yds and applies Agony and Curse of Exhaustion to them. Oblivion- Unleash wicked magic upon your target's soul, dealing [ 798% 997.5% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 3 sec. Deals 10% increased damage, up to 30%, per damage over time effect you have active on the target. Doom- Inflicts impending doom upon the target, dealing [ 104.41% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage immediately and [ 104.41% 581.86% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage to enemies within 10 yards after 20 sec. Damage is reduced beyond 8 targets. Consuming a Demonic Core reduces the duration of Doom by 3 sec. Rain of Fire- Normal: Calls down a rain of hellfire, dealing [ 164.9% of Spell Power ] Fire damage over 8 sec to enemies in the area. Inferno : Calls down a rain of hellfire, dealing [ 164.9% of Spell Power ] Fire damage over 8 sec to enemies in the area. Rain of Fire has a 10% chance to generate a Soul Shard Fragment. Soul Flame- When you kill a target, its soul bursts into flames, dealing [ 40% 48% of Spell Power ] Shadowflame damage to nearby enemies. Deals reduced damage beyond 8 targets. Touch of Rancora- Diabolic Ritual Demonic Art increases the damage of your next Soul Shard spending ability by 100% and reduces its cast time by 50%. Pact of the Imp Mother- Hand of Gul'dan has a 8% 15% chance to cast a second time on your target for free. Chaos Bolt- Unleashes a devastating blast of chaos, dealing a critical strike for [ 369.2% 380.3% of Spell Power ] Chaos damage. Damage is further increased by your critical strike chance. Conflagrate- Triggers an explosion on the target, dealing [ 128.56% 134.99% of Spell Power ] Fire damage. Reduces the cast time of your next Incinerate or Chaos Bolt by 30% for 10 sec. Generates 5 Soul Shard Fragments. Umbral Blaze- Hand of Gul'dan has a 8% 15% chance to burn its target for [ 48% 96% of Spell Power ] additional Shadowflame damage every 2 sec for 6 sec. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Umbral Blaze. Pact of the Ered'ruin- When Doom expires, is removed, you summon a Doomguard that casts 5 Doom Bolts before departing. Each Doom Bolt deals [ 149.09% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage. Fel Invocation- Soul Strike deals 20% increased damage and generates a Soul Shard. Reduces the cast time of Summon Vilefiend by 0.5 sec and your Vilefiend now deals [ 9.06% of Spell Power ] Nature damage to nearby enemies every 1 sec while active. Diabolic Ritual- Spending a Soul Shard grants Diabolic Ritual for 60 20 sec. While Diabolic Ritual is active, each Soul Shard spent reduces its duration by 1 sec. When Diabolic Ritual expires you gain Demonic Art, causing your next Soul Shard spending ability to summon an Overlord, Mother of Chaos, or Pit Lord that unleashes a devastating attack against your enemies. Imp Gang Boss- Summoning a Wild Imp has a 5% 15% chance to summon a Imp Gang Boss instead. An Imp Gang Boss deals 50% additional damage. Implosions from Imp Gang Boss deal 50% increased damage. Doom Blossom- When Seed of Corruption deals damage to a target suffering from your Unstable Affliction they explode, dealing [ 68.03% 74.84% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage to all enemies within 10 yards. Doom Eternal (New)- Demonic Cores reduce the duration of Doom by an additional 2 sec and when Doom is removed its cooldown is reset. Fiendish Oblation (New)- Damage dealt by Grimoire: Felguard is increased by an additional 10% and you gain a Demonic Core when Grimoire: Felguard ends. Blood Invocation (New)- The cooldown of Power Siphon is reduced by 5 sec and Power Siphon increases the damage of Demonbolt by an additional 20%. Foul Mouth (New)- Increases Vilefiend damage by 20% and your Vilefiend's Bile Spit now applies Wicked Maw. Impending Doom (New)- Increases the damage of Doom by 30% and Doom generates 1 Soul Shard upon expiration. The Houndmaster's Gambit (New)- Your Dreadstalkers deal 50% increased damage while your Vilefiend is active. The following new two talents let Warlocks summon a raid boss, well, 1/2 of it straight from Antorus. It's a choice node deep down the Demonology Tree.
      Mark of F'harg (New)- Your Summon Vilefiend becomes Summon Charhound and learns the following ability: Infernal Presence Cloaked in the ever-burning flames of the abyss, dealing [ 47.96% of Spell Power ] Fire damage to enemies within 10 yards every 1 sec.
      Mark of Shatug (New)- Your Summon Vilefiend becomes Summon Gloomhound and learns the following ability: Gloom Slash Tooth and claw are drenched in malignant shadow magic, causing the Gloomhound's melee attacks to deal [ 1,029.14% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage over 6 sec. If this effect is reapplied, any remaining damage will be added to the new Gloom Slash.

• By Stan
      With the new Shaman Hero Talent available for playtesting, we're checking out some of the new talents and changes implemented in the latest TWW Alpha build.
      Shaman
      Primordial Capacity- Increases your maximum mana by 5%. Tidal Waves can now stack up to 4 times. Enhancement Shaman- Enhancement Shaman core passive Increases damage/healing by 16%: Ascendance, Chain Lightning, Crash Lightning, Crashing Storm, Earthen Rage, Earthquake, Elemental Assault, Elemental Blast, Elemental Spirits, Feral Lunge, Fire Nova, Flame Shock, Flametongue Attack, Flametongue Weapon, Frost Shock, Hailstorm, Ice Strike, Icefury, Lashing Flames, Lava Lash, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Shield, Liquid Magma Totem, Ride the Lightning, Static Discharge, Stormstrike, Stormstrike Off-Hand, Sundering, Windfury Attack, Windfury Weapon, Windstrike, Windstrike Off-Hand Increases periodic damage/healing by 16%: Ascendance, Chain Lightning, Crash Lightning, Crashing Storm, Earthen Rage, Earthquake, Elemental Assault, Elemental Blast, Elemental Spirits, Feral Lunge, Fire Nova, Flame Shock, Flametongue Attack, Flametongue Weapon, Frost Shock, Hailstorm, Ice Strike, Icefury, Lashing Flames, Lava Lash, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Shield, Liquid Magma Totem, Ride the Lightning, Static Discharge, Stormstrike, Stormstrike Off-Hand, Sundering, Windfury Attack, Windfury Weapon, Windstrike, Windstrike Off-Hand Decreases damage/healing by 21%: Chain Lightning, Elemental Blast, Lightning Bolt, Ride the Lightning Increases damage/healing by 47%: Earth Shield Decreases damage/healing by 4%: Swelling Waves Increases damage/healing by 25% 40%: Swelling Waves Increases damage/healing by 25%: Chain Heal Increases damage/healing by 43%: Earth Shield Decreases damage/healing by 9%: Elemental Blast Increases damage/healing by 10%: Elemental Blast Swift Recall (New)- [NYI] Successfully removing a harmful effect with Tremor Totem or Poison Cleansing Totem, or controlling an enemy with Capacitor Totem or Earthgrab Totem reduces the cooldown of the totem used by 5 sec. Cannot occur more than once every 20 sec per totem. Whirling Elements (New)- Elemental motes orbit around your Surging Totem. Your abilities consume the motes for enhanced effects. Water: Your next Healing Wave or Healing Surge also heals an ally inside of your Healing Rain at100% effectiveness. Air: The cast time of your next healing spell is reduced by 40%. Earth: Your next Chain Heal applies Earthliving at 150% effectiveness to all targets hit. Wind Barrier (New)- [NYI] If you have a totem active, your totems grant you a shield absorbing damage for 30 sec every 30 seconds. Earthsurge (New)- [NYI] Allies affected by your Earthen Wall Totem, Ancestral Protection Totem, and Earthliving effect receive 10% increased healing from you. Supportive Imbuements (New)- [NYI] Learn a new weapon imbue, Tidecaller's Guard. Can only be applied to shields. Increases your healing done by 2% and increases the duration of your Healing Stream Totem and Cloudburst Totem by 3 sec. Pulse Capacitor (New)- [NYI] Increases the damage and healing of Surging Totem by 25%. Oversurge (New)- While Ascendance is active, Surging Totem is 150% more effective. Amplification Core (New)- While Surging Totem is active, your damage and healing done is increased by 3%. Reactivity (New)- [NYI] Your healing spells cause your Healing Stream Totems to heal a nearby ally immediately at 50% effectiveness. Cloudburst Totem stores 25% additional healing. Imbuement Mastery (New)- Increases the duration of your Earthliving effect by 6 sec. Totemic Coordination (New)- [NYI] Chain Heals from your totems are 30% more effective. Surging Totem (New)- N/A Lively Totems (New)- [NYI] Your Healing Tide Totem, Healing Stream Totem, Cloudburst Totem, Mana Tide Totem, and Spirit Link Totem cast a free, instant Chain Heal when you summon them. Oversized Totems (New)- [NYI] Increases the size and radius of your totems by 15%, and the health of your totems by 30%. Totemic Rebound (New)- [NYI] Chain Heal now jumps to a nearby totem once it reaches its max targets, causing it to bounce an additional time to a nearby injured ally.
    • By Stan
      Blizzard has buffed the Bronze you receive from bronze caches by 25% in MoP Remix to make up for today's Frog farm nerf.
      In a hotfix released today, Blizzard has buffed bronze caches in MoP Remix to grant 25% more Bronze. Players can obtain various types of bronze caches by earning achievements, completing daily quests, or clearing the first random Heroic of the day.
      Minor Bronze Cache now gives 200 250 Bronze. Lesser Bronze Cache now gives 400 500 Bronze. Bronze Cache now gives 600 750 Bronze. Greater Bronze Cache now gives 1,000 1,250 Bronze In addition to the buffs, Greater Bronze Cache can now drop from bosses on Normal Difficulty, further increasing the amount of Bronze you get from raids.
    • By Stan
      We're exploring spec diversity for each key level in Dragonflight Season 4!
      Reddit user RaptorAnka pulled some interesting data from EU/US WoW Game Data APIs and created a visualization showing spec diversity in the ongoing season and how it changes with each key level.
      The color intensity (high red for low diversity, low green for high diversity) indicates that certain specs are highly favored, leading to less diversity within those roles.

DPS Specs
      Augmentation Evoker is very dominant, especially at higher key levels, consistently appearing in the top spot. Shadow Priest has strong presence across all key levels, often appearing right after Augmentation Evoker. Fire Mage shows up frequently, mostly at higher key levels. Frost Mage also appears regularly, but not as much as Fire Mage. Tank Specs
      Vengeance Demon Hunter is the top tank, maintaining near 100% representation. Blood Death Knight appears more frequently at mid-to-lower key levels as the Vengeande DH representation decreases slightly. We see some Guardian Druid presence at mid-levels. Healer Specs
      Restoration Druid is very dominant, especially at higher key levels. Mistweaver Monk gains representation at mid-to-lower keys. Holy Paladin appears more frequently in the mid-to-low key levels. Source: Reddit