Damien

Demonology Warlock 7.3

256 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Demonology Warlock guide for Legion.

2 hours ago, Twinkielock said:

Class trinket is supposed to be that low?  Wouldn't the extra imps be huge?

SimC is very buggy right now. I'll remove all the sims tonight and we'll replace them with a shortlist of 3 or 4 trinkets.

6 hours ago, Twinkielock said:

Class trinket is supposed to be that low?  Wouldn't the extra imps be huge?

You'll want to be using Class Trinket in addition to a passive trinket, or a trinket with high uptime. Good examples are Stone of Elements, CSP, and Iron Reaver Piston.

Doesn't Demonic Empowerment update any demon that comes out while it is active? Seems redundant to cast it after every new summon. Just keep an eye on it.

20 minutes ago, Guest Vayshan said:

Doesn't Demonic Empowerment update any demon that comes out while it is active? Seems redundant to cast it after every new summon. Just keep an eye on it.

No, it empowers your currently active demons.

21 hours ago, Twisty said:

One question, where is HoG in Opening Sequence? thx for guide :)

That was the first thing I noticed. I assume you would use it around #16 or #17. Maybe he meant to add in "Cast HOG" after the 4 DB/SB's but just forgot.

3 hours ago, Guest Betrayerx said:

That was the first thing I noticed. I assume you would use it around #16 or #17. Maybe he meant to add in "Cast HOG" after the 4 DB/SB's but just forgot.

It would be after the opening sequence, but you can fit one in earlier if you end up with 5 shards (if you're specced power trip for example). Currently using the cheese build described on the talents page I precast a shadowbolt, summon grimoire and doomguard, empower, then generate 2 shards and hand of guldan empower, then repeat.

Question is a bit off topic, demo viable now what about in the grand scheme of things. When legion drops and we hit 110 is it going to be a sought after spec in raids? I mean all the time you're going to have to put into your artifact just to find out youre going to have to change specs. Again off topic and I apologize but who better to ask.

12 hours ago, Guest Demodude said:

Question is a bit off topic, demo viable now what about in the grand scheme of things. When legion drops and we hit 110 is it going to be a sought after spec in raids? I mean all the time you're going to have to put into your artifact just to find out youre going to have to change specs. Again off topic and I apologize but who better to ask.

Doubtful with the current balance, however, I fully expect at least one tuning patch before Emerald Nightmare Mythic, so it's basically a coin flip at this point.

Im not a macro or WeakAuras pro at all.

Is it possible to make a macro where everytime you summon a demon, that Demonic Empowerment is auto cast?

Does anyone have a weak aura that shows when Grimoire: Service (felguard) is off cooldown and can be cast again?  Or, if not a weak aura, what is the best addon to use to show that.

6 hours ago, Xogo said:

Im not a macro or WeakAuras pro at all.

Is it possible to make a macro where everytime you summon a demon, that Demonic Empowerment is auto cast?

Does anyone have a weak aura that shows when Grimoire: Service (felguard) is off cooldown and can be cast again?  Or, if not a weak aura, what is the best addon to use to show that.

Both of these things are easily possible. I wouldn't recommend the former, however, as there are situations where you might not instantly empower your Doomguard (for example if you use Doomguard then Service, and empower both). 

To create a Weak Aura that shows when something is not of cooldown, create a new "Icon" aura in Weak Auras. Go to Triggers, then set the drop down from Aura to Status. Select "Cooldown Progress: Spell in one of the other drop down menus, then fill in "Grimoire: Felguard" in the open text field. At the bottom of the triggers page there should be a drop down menu for when to display the aura; select "On Cooldown". Then duplicate the Aura and instead select "Not On Cooldown" in the same drop down menu. Change whatever Display options you want to make them look pretty :) 

If you take Hand of Doom, then every time you cast Hand of Gul'dan, you end up refreshing Doom...so it never hits. Am I missing something?

As a completely new Warlock starting out on patch 3.0.7, I do not understand the Grimoire of Supremacy or why it is recommended (which may be because I do not understand it).

a) Does it offer TWO demons out, my standards and now the doomguard or infernal as well? that seems wrong, as that is neither passive, nor that close to the others (unless they are not doing that good of a DPS, but it's more a status symbol of "look at me I'm walking with two demons").

b) Does it mean I still control only one demon at a time, only that I can now choose between six demons? That would mean that they are so far better than the standard demons, to ignore taking the Grimoire of Service or the Grimoire of Synergy which are both a DPS bump over my standard original four demons.

c) Why is the  Grimoire of Supremacy described as good for leveling, partly at least due to it being passive? It is still "active" in that I have to call a demons. The true passive here is the Grimoire of Synergy which adds damage to me OR my demon as I go about leveling. And again, the Synergy offers a DPS boost that even for leveling is ignored in favour of the Supremacy. As a novice in Warlock, I feel I'm missing something here...

15 hours ago, Guest Alydar said:

If you take Hand of Doom, then every time you cast Hand of Gul'dan, you end up refreshing Doom...so it never hits. Am I missing something?

DoTs have a fixed tickrate regardless of how many times they are refreshed. For example, with my character's Haste level my Doom ticks after 14.8 seconds. It doesn't matter how many times I refresh it as it will still tick 14.8s after the original Doom is applied. As long as Doom doesn't fall of entirely, it will continue to tick every 14.8s regardless of how often Hand of Gul'dan refreshes the overall duration.

11 hours ago, Guest seePyou said:

As a completely new Warlock starting out on patch 3.0.7, I do not understand the Grimoire of Supremacy or why it is recommended (which may be because I do not understand it).

a) Does it offer TWO demons out, my standards and now the doomguard or infernal as well? that seems wrong, as that is neither passive, nor that close to the others (unless they are not doing that good of a DPS, but it's more a status symbol of "look at me I'm walking with two demons").

b) Does it mean I still control only one demon at a time, only that I can now choose between six demons? That would mean that they are so far better than the standard demons, to ignore taking the Grimoire of Service or the Grimoire of Synergy which are both a DPS bump over my standard original four demons.

c) Why is the  Grimoire of Supremacy described as good for leveling, partly at least due to it being passive? It is still "active" in that I have to call a demons. The true passive here is the Grimoire of Synergy which adds damage to me OR my demon as I go about leveling. And again, the Synergy offers a DPS boost that even for leveling is ignored in favour of the Supremacy. As a novice in Warlock, I feel I'm missing something here...

The guide only recommends Supremacy for leveling and quests. Your Doomguard or Infernal replaces your Felguard as your permanent demon. That's about as passive as it gets in World of Warcraft, so I'm a little confused as to how you perceive that as an active ability. It's the best choice for leveling because generally speaking sustained pack-to-pack damage is the most important thing while leveling, rather than burst damage (which is what Service and Synergy both provide in different forms). The infernal is also a very strong tanking pet which can be helpful while leveling.

So regarding stats: Should we stack haste to a certain cap or just as much as possible? I read something about 30%? Sorry that I can't remember the source.

9 hours ago, Asmaidos said:

So regarding stats: Should we stack haste to a certain cap or just as much as possible? I read something about 30%? Sorry that I can't remember the source.

Currently you stack as much as possible. In Legion it's possible that Haste will eventually hit a point where getting more does have as much immediate benefit as stacking more Mastery (this is with Legendaries as well), but we'll have to wait and see!

59 minutes ago, Furty said:

Currently you stack as much as possible. In Legion it's possible that Haste will eventually hit a point where getting more does have as much immediate benefit as stacking more Mastery (this is with Legendaries as well), but we'll have to wait and see!

Thanks

so i found a way to cheese the rotation even more with the 4-piece and the trinket. set hand of doom for talent then go through demonic empowerment > instant shadow bolt > hand of guldan > repeat then mixing in grimoire, doomguard, and life tap as needed. this gets more imps per soul shard and manages to up my dps by about 5-10k on target dummy than just stacking 4 shards and then casting hand. Anyone else found this to be true?

Edited by manofthelaw3

Isn't Shadowflame a big dps boost with enough haste ? The first cast is a demonbolt with 10 demons, and each successive cast add almost adds 10 demons, and damage is increased by haste (if im not mistaken), while the instant shadow/demonbolt doesn't scale with haste that well.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:59 PM, manofthelaw3 said:

so i found a way to cheese the rotation even more with the 4-piece and the trinket. set hand of doom for talent then go through demonic empowerment > instant shadow bolt > hand of guldan > repeat then mixing in grimoire, doomguard, and life tap as needed. this gets more imps per soul shard and manages to up my dps by about 5-10k on target dummy than just stacking 4 shards and then casting hand. Anyone else found this to be true?

This is in the guide :)

3 hours ago, Guest Nataku said:

The 4pc has been nerfed to 2%, down from 8%. It hurts.

Yep :( Doesn't change anything rotationally though.

21 hours ago, Furty said:

Yep :( Doesn't change anything rotationally though.

Are you sure? From my experience in todays raid single target dmg is better with Demonic Caling and Improved Dreadstalkers...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.