FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Changes and Notes as of 7/10

I'm actually glad that demo will now no longer hinge on UVLS, go demo, do your thing, show the world that you can be strong without a trinket. Be the beast.

I thought the 549 version had a much higher proc rate , so high that you could play demo without the glyph?

or am i horribly wrong?

I thought the 549 version had a much higher proc rate , so high that you could play demo without the glyph?

or am i horribly wrong?

Edited by Juloroh

Don't you mean "WTS 549 UVLS?"  After 5.4, this trinket won't be used by anyone.

Told you they'd find a way to make it crap.  :P

Glyph of Everlasting Affliction has been replaced by Glyph of Eternal Resolve - wow no one wants that crappy change
Glyph of EA was a trap for most players. Duration less useful because of snapshotting. What did you like about it? (Source)
(I should add that UVLS and Wild Imps felt like an exploit more than a cool mechanic.) (Source)

O_o

I for one am happy they're making this change. Relying this much on a proc (and a rare, short proc at that) isn't fun to me. Let's just hope the DPS loss will be patched over elsewhere.

(I should add that UVLS and Wild Imps felt like an exploit more than a cool mechanic.) (Source)

O_o

Then perhaps someone should teach the devs how to read and put two and two together. This is generally what happens when you hire people who don't think like those who play games (cough, cough, GO BACK TO MARINE BIOLOGY GC, cough) to design games.

I will say that UVLS for demonology is NOT at all an exploit. If UVLS proc'd on a more regular basis with RPPM, then yes, it would be. As it is, it basically accounts for just retardedly wide deviations from parse to parse (aka LOL 4 UVLS procs in a row on H Dark Animus with zerg strat).

The problem with demonology is that the numbers just aren't there w/o this trinket tho, i hope they can compensate the removal of UVLS.

Well as the trinkets and the meta gem have increased chance to proc due to haste and demo uses a 14k-ish haste break point vs the 10k-ish one for afflic, it should be procing pretty frequently. Especially if you're a troll, an herbalist, and especially during heroism. But they're changing the haste benefit to keep us from having rediculous uptimes and so that it won't be exploitation.

the thing is there is a large difference between an opener without UVLS proc and with UVLS proc, sometimes when i get no proc, i can be last on the DPS ranking, one proc and i slowly take the lead...What they could do to change this is how Doom works with 100% crit. Instead of saying each crit gives us an imp, it could be each doom tick has a chance  to spawn an imp(1/2 chance or maybe 1/4)  so that UVLS would be over for demo. Only thing sad about this is the fact it will become more RNG for demo, but i think with this change, it's fine.

P.S : i think the reason they feel like it's an exploit is clearly the army of imp.With UVLS, on a fight like council, stone guardian, or any other fight with two or more constant target, a 496 warlock(i'm not joking) could beat a 522 "any other classes", with afk'ing after putting 100 % crit doom on all target, and completely missing the rest of the rotation. I finished a fight with my 530 warlock (simmed at 177 k) on stone guardian with 313 k DPS, the second was a 541 enhancement shaman(simmed at 216 k) with 212 k.

Even on single target, this thing allow you to be on par with higher ilvl "other classes" and i'm sure that's clearly not intended. Anyway i guess it's just my point of view.

Edited by Juloroh

Well as the trinkets and the meta gem have increased chance to proc due to haste and demo uses a 14k-ish haste break point vs the 10k-ish one for afflic, it should be procing pretty frequently. Especially if you're a troll, an herbalist, and especially during heroism. But they're changing the haste benefit to keep us from having rediculous uptimes and so that it won't be exploitation.

High end Warlocks don't use the 14k breakpoint.  You sacrifice too much Mastery.  Most typically gem and reforge to as much Mastery as possible leaving them with 9k+ Haste by default.  Their modification isn't going to affect uptimes.  They are going to rebalance RPPM factors to give us the same uptimes, but not allow us to hyperinflate uptimes with super high levels of Haste.

the thing is there is a large difference between an opener without UVLS proc and with UVLS proc, sometimes when i get no proc, i can be last on the DPS ranking, one proc and i slowly take the lead...What they could do to change this is how Doom works with 100% crit. Instead of saying each crit gives us an imp, it could be each doom tick has a chance  to spawn an imp(1/2 chance or maybe 1/4)  so that UVLS would be over for demo. Only thing sad about this is the fact it will become more RNG for demo, but i think with this change, it's fine.

P.S : i think the reason they feel like it's an exploit is clearly the army of imp.With UVLS, on a fight like council, stone guardian, or any other fight with two or more constant target, a 496 warlock(i'm not joking) could beat a 522 "any other classes", with afk'ing after putting 100 % crit doom on all target, and completely missing the rest of the rotation. I finished a fight with my 530 warlock (simmed at 177 k) on stone guardian with 313 k DPS, the second was a 541 enhancement shaman(simmed at 216 k) with 212 k.

Even on single target, this thing allow you to be on par with higher ilvl "other classes" and i'm sure that's clearly not intended. Anyway i guess it's just my point of view.

Simulations can never accomodate RNG procs and multi-target fights.  When you mix the two, you can't compare your DPS by using simulated DPS as a benchmark.  You're comparing a class that has almost zero multi-dotting capability to one of the best multi-dotting specializations in the game. 

Demo was heavily RNG-based in the last tier of Cataclysm.  The RNG of getting a 15 second reduction in our Metamorphosis cooldown affected our DPS in a big way.  Demo was never designed to have all of those Imps out.  They will modify our DPS to keep us in a similar place, much like they are going to buff Destruction soon.  They have no choice, because Destruction already capped out low and they're removing their Ember generation.  Demonology is doing really well in the PTR without UVLS, so we'll be just fine.

Wait so, before I was seeing this Dark Soul: Knowledge PTR change as a re-wording of the ability to be a percentage rather than a straight 18,000 mastery.  Now I'm reading it as they're buffing the current version by 30%, so 5400 extra mastery, bringing us to 23,400 mastery each use.  Yes?  That will definitely help our Doom be more massive.

It looks to me like the ember generation nerf to RoF wasnt given a compensating buff anywhere else so it's a straight nerf?  And Destro is already the lowest PvE spec, ty Devs.

Let me see if I have it correctly:

"We dont like RoF to be mandatory in the rotation" so "Nerf RoF and coresponding ember generation".

It looks to me like the ember generation nerf to RoF wasnt given a compensating buff anywhere else so it's a straight nerf?  And Destro is already the lowest PvE spec, ty Devs.

Let me see if I have it correctly:

"We dont like RoF to be mandatory in the rotation" so "Nerf RoF and coresponding ember generation".

They also said that their number balancing will be happening in 2 PTR phases.  Have patience, young one.  They will compensate for the changes.

Spell Changes

• spell_shadow_abominationexplosion.gifCorruption: Corrupts the target, causing 1440 (+ 135%1584 (+ 148.5% of SpellPower) Shadow damage over 18 sec.

Talents and Specialization

• spell_shadow_curseofsargeras.gifAgony: Inflicts increasing agony on the target, causing up to [348 ( + 32.76%[384 ( + 36% of SpellPower) * 10] Shadow damage over 24 sec. This damage is dealt slowly at first and builds up each time it deals damage.
  • spell_shadow_haunting.gifDrain Soul: Drains the soul of the target, causing (250 + $SP * 0.234275 + $SP * 0.257) Shadow damage every 2 sec and energizing one Soul Shard after it deals damage twice. If the target dies and yields experience or honor, three Soul Shards are energized. Lasts 12 sec. If the target is at or below 20% health when Drain Soul deals damage, it deals 100% additional damage and causes all of your other periodic Affliction damage effects to instantly deal 60% of their normal periodic damage.
  • spell_fire_immolation.gifImmolate: Burns the enemy for 456 (+ 42.7%502 (+ 47% of SpellPower) Fire damage and then an additional 2280 (+ 213.5%2510 (+ 235% of SpellPower) Fire damage over 15 sec. Replaces Corruption.
  • ability_warlock_everlastingaffliction.giMalefic Grasp: Binds the target in twilight, causing 512 (+ 48%564 (+ 52.8% of SpellPower) Shadow damage over 4 sec. Every 1 sec, when Malefic Grasp deals damage, it causes all of your other periodic Affliction damage effects to instantly deal 30% of their normal periodic damage.
  • spell_shadow_twilight.gifNightfall: Your most recently applied Corruption has a 7%10% chance when it deals damage to cause you to regain a Soul Shard.
  • spell_shadow_unstableaffliction_3.gifUnstable Affliction: Shadow energy slowly destroys the target, causing 1974 (+ 184.8%2170 (+ 203% of SpellPower) damage over 14 sec. If the Unstable Affliction is dispelled it will cause [282 ( + 26.4%[310 ( + 29% of SpellPower) * 8] damage to the dispeller and silence them for 4 sec. This damage always critically strikes.

Hmm, looks like a wide array of Affliction buffs. 

Corruption (Demonology + Affliction): 1440 + 135% -> 1584 + 148.5%, which is approximately a 10% increase.

Agony (Affliction): 348 + 32.76% -> 384 + 36%, which is approximately a 10% increase.

Drain Soul (Affliction): 250 + (SP*0.234) -> 275 + (SP*0.257), which is approximately a 10% increase.

Immolate (Destruction): 456 + 42.7% -> 502 + 47% then an additional 2280 + 213.5% -> 2510 + 235% which is approximately a 10% increase.

Malefic Grasp (Affliction): 512 + 48% -> 564 + 52.8%, which is approximately a 10% increase.

Nightfall now has a 10% chance to proc on your most recent applied Corruption.

Unstable Affliction (Affliction): 1974 + 184.8% -> 2170 + 203%, which is approximately a 10% increase.

TL;DR: DoTs for Affliction and Immolate + 10%

• Like 1

For those interested, here are the rest of the notes on other classes summarized:

Monks: slight nerf via Tigereye Brew generation

Druids: can cast Resto spells in Moonkin form, no longer requiring the glyph.  AoE nerf via Shooting Stars change

Hunters: Arcane Shot nerfed 25%, Aimed Shot buffed 15%, Explosive Shot buffed 18%, Kill Command buffed 15%. 

Mages: Combusion nerfed 60%. See ya, Fire.  What up, Arcane.

Priests: can cast some stuff in Shadowform without the glyph.  Buff to Glyph of SW:Death.

Rogues: got the love.  Fan of Knives buffed 25%.  Sinister Strike buffed 26%.  Backstab buffed 20%.  Dispatch buffed 40%.  Mutilate buffed 40%.  Revealing Strike buffed 28%.  Vitality buffs Attack Power an additional 5%.  Rogues are going to hurt in PvP.

Shamans: Lava Burst changed to scale with SP.  Slight buff.  Lava Lash nerfed 13.3%.  Stormstrike nerfed 15.6%.

Warriors: Deep Wounds buffed 65%.  Slam buffed by 50%.

Rogues and Warriors got some love.  Mages got smacked down a bit.  Hunters received a nice buff, which was needed.

Numbers adjusting finally.  I recently unfroze my account to get back into the swing of things for 5.4... had a lot of real life stuff going on.  It'll be interesting to see where number simulations will land between Affliction and Demo.

That's a serious truck-ton worth of buffs to rogues.  Were they that far behind?  Boring warrior buff (Deep Wounds), but then I'm jaded by warrior.  At the end of Cata, Arms warriors had a really cool rotation, and they totally screwed it with MoP. 

Mages... well... MOST mages I've played with have involved some sort of good natured rivalry.  Except for the guy that purposely ignored mechanics just to win the dps race (and of course log rank)... but anyway, this MMO-C post seems about right for them:

Pre-nerf:
300K Ignite, 150K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 3M

Post-nerf:
300K Ignite, 60K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 1.2M

60% nerf to an ability that does ~15% of our damage in ST situations; ergo overall nerf of ~5% give or take.

Not game-changing, probably brings Fire ~ in line I guess.

It looks worse on paper more than in practice.  I'd rather Blizzard fix the various scaling abilities that go from terrible -> OP depending on gear levels.

It does, indeed, bring them in line.  Guess what is next?  Demonology.  Although they may not change it since they effectively ruined UVLS.  It may just fall in line by natural order.

I made a graphic to detail spec relative power to each other from patch to patch based on talents:

iNLP0TB.jpg

Edited by Kaboozey