FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Changes and Notes as of 7/10

• Dark Soul: Knowledge Your soul is infused with demonic knowledge, increasing your Mastery by 18,000 the effects of Mastery: Master Demonologist by an additional 30% for 20 sec. Can be cast in Metamorphosis. Warlock - Demonology Spec. 5% of Base Mana. Instant. 2 min cooldown.
Sooo, its not a nerf or buff right? It is still a flat %30 increase on mastery I think.

Um, I think. I know that it gives 30% in caster form, but I'm unsure on the multplicative changes with Metamorphosis. I know Meta triple dips in Mastery. The conversion for Demonology is 600 rating = 1% damage for pets/caster form and 3% Metamorphosis damage. 18,000 would be 30% for pets/casters and 90% Metamorphosis. If they're wording it as 30%, I shudder to think it's 30% across the board, thus a 67% nerf to Metamorphosis Dark Soul scaling. That, obviously, would be worst case scenario...doesnt' seem worded that way...

It's just a fix because of the amplification trinket was scaling with the 18k mastery thing, giving TONS OF DMG/Mastery when both are up.

Ahh, makes sense now thanks JV. Also it wouldn't effect Meta form because instead of triple dipping, its gonna 3.9x dip.

They still haven't modified that stupid ass trinket? The one that is CLEARLY game breaking? Now they're balancing other crap around it? All so they can redesign all the classes for 6.0. Brilliant.

On a side note, how would it get a 3.9x multiplier? Am I seeing something different?

Mastery base starts off at 8.00% at 0 rating. To get to 25.00%, you'd need 17x600 = 10,200 Mastery rating. If you had 10,200 rating, your paperdoll would read:

Does 25% additional damage in caster form. Pets do 25% additional damage. Damage done in Metamorphosis increased by 75%.

Current Dark Soul increases Mastery by 18,000 rating, so 10,200 becomes 28,200. Paperdoll would read:

Does 55% additional damage in caster form. Pets do 55% additional damage. Damage done in Metamorphosis increased by 225%.

What does the PTR meaning actually mean? Is it going to take Meta damage from 75% to 105% instead of 225%? That's the area of confusion for me. I don't understand why they changed it unless it's a nerf to Meta's burst.

• Like 1

Demo mastery will be %30 powerful when Dark Soul is used, 600 mastery rating will give %1.3 damage on caster form instead of %1 and %3.9 damage on meta form instead of %3. It increases mastery by %30 now, it will increase efficency of mastery by %30 on 5.4.

So they'll treat it with percentages? If it's all based on Mastery percentages, then would this math be correct?

Caster Form

Present 10,000 Mastery = 8.00 + 10,000/600 = 16.666 = 24.666%

Present Dark Soul = 8.00 + 28,000/600 = 8 + 46.666 = 54.666%

Future Dark Soul = 8.00 + 16.666 + 30 = 54.666% (no change)

Metamorphosis Form

Present Dark Soul = 8.00*3 + 28,000/200 = 24 + 140 = 164%

Future Dark Soul = 8.00*3 + (10,000/200) + 30 = 24 + 50 + 30 = 114%

Where is my confusion because I just don't see how the multiplier is going to work without it being gutted tremendously.

I mean...I really feel like I'm missing something. Take it down 18,000 and increasing the effect of Mastery by 30% just isn't translating to me without using the 18,000 in the formula.

Yeah, some of the people on the PTR are reporting HUGE dropoffs in damage with the new Dark Soul. Are my fears confirmed? Can anyone else validate or refute my math?

There is a huge dropoff on damage with new Dark Soul becuase if you had Dark Soul(+18k mastery) and amplification trinket procs,you would get 50-55k mastery which is RIDICULOUS. I'm trying to understand new wording on Dark Soul and 2 possibility comes in my mind.

First one is a flat %30 mastery increase which is same as current, amplification trinket should only increase haste and mastery by your ratings not percents because it would be over powered with LMG and BL.

Second one is no mastery increase in what you see on character panel but giving an extra %30 effect to our mastery. As example, if you have %20 mastery, you would see %50 damage increase on caster form and hopefully %150 damage increase on meta form.(Extra effect on meta isn't on tooltip yet so we might see %90 instead of %150 for a while on PTR but I'm %100 sure it will be fixed.)

With all the talks about mastery, I felt like mastery is so yummy, maybe I will go back to mastery again Posted Image

EDIT: Demo 4pc is nerfed, procs Chaos Wave instead of Hand of Gul'dan on meta.

Edited by Sifon

Still a silly set bonus...free big AoE attack? I knew Hand of Guldan wouldn't make it live because of the AoE possibilities. At least with Chaos Wave, it'll just be random big 200k+ bursts.

But but I loved it the way it was :( it was awesome even for single target with possibility of 12 seconds of 2 stacks Shadowflame.

Oh of course. Either way, it woulda been awesome. Free HoG > Free Chaos Wave. I wish the set bonus didn't involve something so...lazy. The other set bonus sounds better.

Can anyone test if 2pc T16 proccing from Soul Fires in meta? Last time I check it wasn't, I hope it is a bug.

• Like 1

Amplification trinket being reworked, it gives some amount of haste and mastery(and possible crit damage too) and procs some little intellect. Might be passive stat + proc int in the future.

If amp trinket will have some sort of proc(it has a very very little int proc atm) it will be king still. On current test enviroment(T15 gear with T16 set pieces and trinkets) Demo with UVLS is still the best and crit focused non-UVLS Demo is competitive. Affliction is also in a good position unless it gets nerfed in 1-2 weeks due to PvP reasons.

So, they nerfed the fact Dark Soul gave us 18k Mastery because of the synergy of a trinket and now they nerf the Amplification effect...this seems like a tricksy way to nerf Demonology. I'm still shaky on the Dark Soul effect since no one came on the theorycrafting math journey with me. I still think the 'increases effect by 30%' in Metamorphosis comes up short.

I haven't done any PTR fights, and I won't be doing any of them. But from the few videos I've seen, Manno's Fury Demonology Warlocks will have a place just about in every fight. There are tons of adds, lots of multiple targets for UVLS to shine, and it really didn't get any modification to its DPS. Affliction will always scale the best with gear, even moreso now that they worked Mastery different in MoP. I'm still anticipating Destruction spell buffs to off-set the change in Ember generation. Surely they won't let one spec fall out of the running, right?

I tested on PTR Zagam, it works the same way as now, no nerf or anything, %30 damage increase on caster form, %90 damage increase on meta form.

Only nerf might be losing %14 of the 18k mastery from Dark Soul but it wasn't intended anyway. Affliction has % modifier on Dark Soul same as Desturction, only Demo benefitting from a trinket with a spell all specs have is just unfair.

Ah, perfect. Thanks for response. Glad to know its a 90% modifier in Meta. Have you tested with your level of Mastery if it modifies the same? Like my Mastery base is 27%. With raid Mastery buff, it's 32%. So on PTR, my caster form would see 62% and Meta would see 122% instead of it being calculated via 18k Mastery. I see why they did it now.

I'm almost sure, but not entirely. I don't have PTR on my laptop and I'm at work so I can't check it but Affliction's and Destruction's Dark Soul gives static stat values, if they make Demo's Dark Soul to %30 of your current mastery, it would be unfair to Demo this time Posted Image

Edit: Wait wait, I remember when Dark Soul is up, meta mastery percent was exactly triple of the caster mastery percent. Something fishy here, lemme see if I can get someone to PTR to test it because I'm not going to be home in next 5-6 hours.

Edit2: One of my guildies said that is %30 of your current mastery atm, which is BULL SHIT. I'm %100 sure it won't go live like that.

Final Edit: It is a flat %30 increase on PTR.

Edited by Sifon

Surely they won't let one spec fall out of the running, right?

Have you seen Marksman Hunters? :P

Also, WTB more concrete changes to discuss. I don't know how many more itemization threads I can take before I go cray cray.

Glyph of Imp Swarm Teaches you the ability Imp Swarm. Requires Demonology. Imp Swarm Summons 4 Wild Imps from the Twisting Nether to attack the target. Also increases Wild Imp's cooldown by 4 sec.

Mad.

EDIT: Whoops sorry double post fail.

Edited by Lappenforce