Darksong

Playing Arms, bottom 25% of dps. I need help, please. (Included armory, logs to help decipher the issue)

8 posts in this topic

Dear Fellow Warriors,

I've been playing arms for quite awhile now, and I've not been doing well in raids. On fights like the Dragons, routinely bottom tier of my group's dps.
On Ursoc though, I was 4th. However, my dps seems too far from what others are able to accomplish. (IE, I'm only doing 212k DPS on Ursoc - Normal)

On the Lesser Sparring Partner, i'm only doing about 150k dps. after two minutes-3 minutes of parsing

To help distill the issues with my rotation and take away most of the mechanics, let's use the gear check boss, Ursoc, since it's relatively immobile.

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Darksong/simple

Let's compare two logs. One's mine (ilvl 844 - 212k dps), with someone of similar iLvl (844 368k dps), on the same fight in Normal Ursoc:

My Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YDcMvgnAJpPhXyfK#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=56

Comparison Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/93kqYVwpQv1fA2ag#fight=19&type=damage-done&source=135

Ok, taking out the fact that I don't have a legion pot, and didnt use Pot of the Old War, I seem to be doing very little damage, my MS hits for a lot less, etc.

Taking a look at my damage during Heroic Dragons of Nightmare, is rather depressing. Here I finally managed to buy some flasks, but not to much effect it seems.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T9QJD4LVZHfMzwgP

Let me explain my rotation:

1. Charge
2. Stack Focused Rage to 3 stacks
3. Battle Cry + Colossus Smash + Avatar,

(During Battle Cry)
Hit CS/MS when it pops up, else FR+Hamstring till 3 points, slam if FR already at 3.

(Once out of Battle Cry)
Continue building FR stacks, hit CS and MS when it comes up (even if FR less than 3)

(Once in Execute Range)
Colossus Smash->Execute ->CS->Exe when available.

PS: One question, since I've been focusing on maximising my mastery, my non-CS/shattered Defenses MS has been pathetic, maybe doing 200k damage with 3 FR stacks. Should i be maximising my CS duration (IE: do NOT hit CS again when there's still a few seconds left on the CS duration?)

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all.

The other guy has a tighter rotation in all respects:

0.145 CS cast per second vs 0.122 - a difference of 16%
0.145 Slams cast per second vs 0.039  - a difference of 74% (!)
0.209 MS cast per second vs 0.145 - a difference of 31%

The Slam disparity is huge and points to you not spending rage efficiently. This in turn affects Tactician. You don't have advanced logging for your parse so I can't see resource gains/spending but that's gotta be it. Basically, stop cheesing with Hamstring and use Slam.

The rotation difference probably accounts for about half of your 156k dps difference. The other half seems to be:

1. Fight length. 2:04 vs 4:14. Their heroism uptime is a third, yours is a quarter. Same goes for pots and dps buffs. Notice how his Avatar is up with the pre-pot and initial time warp, and then comes up again for the execute phase, as does the pot.

2. Consumables. You have no Satyr neck, you're not using a competitive potion. Old War and Satyr end up doing 10m damage during the fight, which is 20% of what you did in a fight twice as long.

Hi there Unigolyn,

Thanks for the help and the time you took to read the reports.

So during the Battle Cry, What do you usually do?

I used to make sure i had a 3 FR MS, turn on BC,  and use a macro for FR + Slam, until either CS or MS procced.
However i was told I should just macro FR + Hamstring, in case a CS or MS procced, and I didn't want to waste a GCD on slam.

Now starting to think otherwise. Hamstring of course no longer procs Tactician, but Missing out on Slam damage if CS or MS doesn't proc during the remaining seconds of Battle Cry, seem like such a wasted DPS opportunity, especially when you take into account Blood of Zakajz.

thoughts?

hi, usually top dps wherever i go

playing arms, my opening rotation:

single target: charge, colossus smash>battle cry>spamming MS and WW, got both macroed with Focused rage (#showtooltip Mortal Strike/cast mortal strike /cast focused rage), also spammed hamstring but they changed that today (28.09.16) not proccing tactician.

whenever i get a reset on colossus smash, i use it. You always want to use MS after a CS, or execute depending on the % on the mob youre hitting (because of artifact trait: shattered defenses)

using warbreaker if i dont have CS up, MS coming off CD because i want to get the use of shattered defenses.

aoe rotation: charge>warbreaker>battle cry>bladestorm, after BS i use cleave>whirlwind (with macro for focused rage, MS when i can on targets with CS up.

my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Chipman/simple

Thanks for picking up this analysis guys. Inclined to agree with Unigolyn here.

As for your further questions, I'm not sure, but this bump should help find someone that does know, I hope!

You are making a mistake during Battle Cry.

FR/Hamstring are not on the global cooldown, so you should be spamming that along with Slam, you can do both at the same time, rather than waiting for 3 FR stacks then using slam which is what you are describing.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads lately.  After the recent hot-fixes, Hamstring obviously no longer procs Tactician. Is it still a good idea to keep it macro'd with Focus Rage and Slam for the soul fact of it not being on the GCD? Or not? If not what's the best macro to spam during Battle Cry? I know Darksong asked the same thing in one of the previous posts, I just wanted to clarify.  Currently during BC if CS isn't up (generally I wait for at least a reset before even using BC) I have a macro for FR, HS as well as Slam which I spam for resets. Sorry if I'm kind of thread-jacking but this will probably help others with a straight forward answer. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gigs
      Blooded is an established  social Mythic guild, with a friendly and dedicated team.
      Blooded has been raiding as a team since the early history of the guild, we focus on progression but make sure we also have room for good fun and friendly bantering. Though the team over the years has seen some changes, it has a good and solid core of players that provides a solid foundation to build on. 
      Everyone in the guild is equally respected, regardless of rank. No one is more important and we don't like drama. Bad attitude in /g or /ra is not tolerated. 
      Bad jokes is however a completely different matter.
      Our current progression is 4/9 ToS Mythic, before that we did 7/7 M EN, 2/3 M ToV, and 7/10 M NH.
      We are now looking for like minded players, willing to progress at a good pace with our team.
      Requirements for ToS:
      You need to have some ToS experience, but no need for Mythic experience.  Your gear needs to match your experience (min ilvl 925) Your gear has all the best gems/enchants. You're available for 75% of all raids. You feel ready and have the patience to deal with progression. You keep on top of news about your class/spec, and upcoming fights. Spots are open for:
      1 solid melee DPS (Rogue/warrior/DH/Ret) 1 Solid Ranged DPS (Warlock/Frost mage/SP) Other classes/specs are still considered if the requirements are fulfilled. (No Tanks/Healers)
      Raid times are:
      Thursday: 20:00 - 23:00 Sunday: 20:00 - 23:00 Tuesday: 20:00 - 23:00 Alt run on Wednesdays. We currently don't do Heroic on the official raid days. Trial information:
      We run a trial for 6 raids We use personal loot, unwanted/unneeded loot is gathered and distributed using RClootcouncil. Invites start at 19:45 Bring plenty food, pots, flasks, runes and be repaired. We use Teamspeak during raids.   If you're looking for a friendly guild with good raid focus, this may be the place for you. As long as you also have time for memes.
      If you're interested add me for a chat.
      Gigs#2131

Have a Bloody great WoW day !! 

• By FoxShine
      Hello! This is Fox from Velocity. We're a DAYTIME Mythic raiding guild on Sargeras. Currently 5/9M, 9/9H ToS. Last tier we ended 7/10M NH in the final two months before the release of ToS. Now we'll be focusing on Mythic ToS progression. After real life claimed a few of our key raiders, we are searching for a few more good and reliable players for our roster, mainly DPS, who can learn the fights quickly and attend our early raid times. 
      Our core team is composed of veteran players who have experience raiding at high-levels (including top US 100 guilds) as well as those who are entirely new to mythic raiding, but fast learners. We aim for a focused, but relaxed environment; upholding a certain level of standards, while still joking and having fun. A fun fact about us - since were a morning guild we actually got two realm 1st's on Heroic. Worldwide our H Goroth kill was 15th and Demonic Inquisition was 6th.
      [A] <Velocity> 5/9M 9/9H (7/10M) - Daytime/Morning raid LFM
      Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs 

Looking for:
      Currently Need
      Ranged -  Ele Shaman, Warlock, Boomkin, Mage, Other
      Melee - Rogue, Warrior, Monk - Other
      Healer -  DPS with heal offspec
        Requirements: 
      Item Lvl:  930+/-
      Exp:  3/9M (Pref)
      *Specific classes are listed above as preference. However, any class is welcomed! We will consider anyone who is willing to join and can commit to our raid times, we may also make exceptions if you are under the requirements.

Expectations:
      We’re not super hardcore, we like having fun, but we do have high standards; so we expect our raiders to play their class well, come prepared, FOLLOW MECHANICS, have a sense of humor (or not) and adapt quickly. Prior Mythic raiding experience is a plus, though not necessary if you're a fast learner. 
      Due to our niche raid times, we encourage everybody to communicate about attendance via Calendar invites, Discord channels, or through tells with an officer. We are looking for players who are dedicated and realistic with their schedules. It’s important to know who will be available day-by-day so we can make arrangements. This is necessary to avoid setbacks and keep up with progression! We are very understanding when someone needs to post-out. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask for is a heads up!
        Perks: Feasts, Codex, Spirit Cauldrons, near-unlimited guild repairs, and the occasional gem or enchants. We run alt raids and Mythic+ 15s with each other each week. We're a tight-knit guild, who's always joking around and helping each other out. We also play other games together outside of WoW, like Overwatch, SC2, Heroes, Diablo, Dota2, LoL and whatever else.
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Leave a reply here, send us a tell on BNET or in game. Or be old school and send an in-game mail! Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon! =D
      BNET
      Fox#1713
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410
      Discord
      Starby#8682
      Fox#7009

• By Babblet
      Location: – Horde – US Connected Realms: The Venture Co - Maelstrom - Lightninghoof

About us:
      Converge has been around since WoW Vanilla and has been raiding together since Molten Core; we used to be a four day raiding guild but over the years we had to adjust our playtime and priorities and are now a two day raiding guild. We had to cut our total hours spent playing WoW but we still remain just as competitive and result oriented.

Mandatory reading.
      Basics: be ilvl 900+; 52+ points in MS Artifact Weapon.
      Raiding 101: be able to execute/avoid fight mechanics; communicate in English and use a microphone.
      We raid twice a week, a total of 6 hours; attendance of 90% is mandatory. We require you to function at 100% from the second the raid starts all the way to its end; if you cannot commit to a raiding schedule and be online on time this is not a guild for you.

Raid Times: 8:00 PM – 11:00 AM Eastern Time – Monday/Tuesday.

Recruitment: Ranged DPS /  Melee DPS / Heals

Legion Progression:
      EN 7/7 Heroic
      ToV 3/3 Heroic
      NH 10/10 Heroic
      ToS 9/9 Heroic

Contacts:  
      BTag: Shig#1825

*Do not send PMs, get in touch in-game; do not contact unless you are ready to transfer if accepted for a permanent raid spot.
    • By Ahdra2154
      We're a guild looking for people who want to have a great time, hang out with each other, laugh and have fun while killing stuff in raids! 

Guild Name: RaidCat
      Faction: Alliance
      Realm (EU): Silvermoon
      Realm Type: PVE
      Realm Timezone: CEST
      Progression: 9/9HC ToS
      Raid Times: 19:30st - 22:00st
      Raid Schedule: Friday and Monday (additional raids on Wednesday for alts, mythic etc)
      Openings: Range DPS (help us knock those melee off the top of the meters!)

We raid twice a week in the evenings with optional extra runs appearing as requested. 
      As our raid roster increases Wednesday evening will likely become a mythic progression night. However mythic is not our end goal or focus, but rather something we try to make extra time for. Social member also welcome!

Looking for: Range DPS (warlock, mage, hunter, shadow priest,) Other applications considered.

We do everything from Transmog runs, PVP, Mythic+ and whatever else you can think of, with our main focus on raiding.

We are aiming for a relaxed yet skilled raiding environment where people can fill in for each other, not having to worry about always attending since people can fill in for you, focusing on having fun and improving ourselves with each kill.

We do care about people following tactics and knowing what they're doing (so do your homework or ask for help!) so we may actually get some stuff done as well, that's why we're looking mainly for experienced raiders that want a more flexible environment (if you are new to raiding you are still welcome)

We use Discord and you are welcome to join and hang out before deciding to move over.

Officers: Maxilloss & Ahdra#2154