Darksong

Playing Arms, bottom 25% of dps. I need help, please. (Included armory, logs to help decipher the issue)

8 posts in this topic

Dear Fellow Warriors,

I've been playing arms for quite awhile now, and I've not been doing well in raids. On fights like the Dragons, routinely bottom tier of my group's dps.
On Ursoc though, I was 4th. However, my dps seems too far from what others are able to accomplish. (IE, I'm only doing 212k DPS on Ursoc - Normal)

On the Lesser Sparring Partner, i'm only doing about 150k dps. after two minutes-3 minutes of parsing

To help distill the issues with my rotation and take away most of the mechanics, let's use the gear check boss, Ursoc, since it's relatively immobile.

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Darksong/simple

Let's compare two logs. One's mine (ilvl 844 - 212k dps), with someone of similar iLvl (844 368k dps), on the same fight in Normal Ursoc:

My Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YDcMvgnAJpPhXyfK#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=56

Comparison Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/93kqYVwpQv1fA2ag#fight=19&type=damage-done&source=135

Ok, taking out the fact that I don't have a legion pot, and didnt use Pot of the Old War, I seem to be doing very little damage, my MS hits for a lot less, etc.

Taking a look at my damage during Heroic Dragons of Nightmare, is rather depressing. Here I finally managed to buy some flasks, but not to much effect it seems.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T9QJD4LVZHfMzwgP

Let me explain my rotation:

1. Charge
2. Stack Focused Rage to 3 stacks
3. Battle Cry + Colossus Smash + Avatar,

(During Battle Cry)
Hit CS/MS when it pops up, else FR+Hamstring till 3 points, slam if FR already at 3.

(Once out of Battle Cry)
Continue building FR stacks, hit CS and MS when it comes up (even if FR less than 3)

(Once in Execute Range)
Colossus Smash->Execute ->CS->Exe when available.

PS: One question, since I've been focusing on maximising my mastery, my non-CS/shattered Defenses MS has been pathetic, maybe doing 200k damage with 3 FR stacks. Should i be maximising my CS duration (IE: do NOT hit CS again when there's still a few seconds left on the CS duration?)

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all.

The other guy has a tighter rotation in all respects:

0.145 CS cast per second vs 0.122 - a difference of 16%
0.145 Slams cast per second vs 0.039  - a difference of 74% (!)
0.209 MS cast per second vs 0.145 - a difference of 31%

The Slam disparity is huge and points to you not spending rage efficiently. This in turn affects Tactician. You don't have advanced logging for your parse so I can't see resource gains/spending but that's gotta be it. Basically, stop cheesing with Hamstring and use Slam.

The rotation difference probably accounts for about half of your 156k dps difference. The other half seems to be:

1. Fight length. 2:04 vs 4:14. Their heroism uptime is a third, yours is a quarter. Same goes for pots and dps buffs. Notice how his Avatar is up with the pre-pot and initial time warp, and then comes up again for the execute phase, as does the pot.

2. Consumables. You have no Satyr neck, you're not using a competitive potion. Old War and Satyr end up doing 10m damage during the fight, which is 20% of what you did in a fight twice as long.

Hi there Unigolyn,

Thanks for the help and the time you took to read the reports.

So during the Battle Cry, What do you usually do?

I used to make sure i had a 3 FR MS, turn on BC,  and use a macro for FR + Slam, until either CS or MS procced.
However i was told I should just macro FR + Hamstring, in case a CS or MS procced, and I didn't want to waste a GCD on slam.

Now starting to think otherwise. Hamstring of course no longer procs Tactician, but Missing out on Slam damage if CS or MS doesn't proc during the remaining seconds of Battle Cry, seem like such a wasted DPS opportunity, especially when you take into account Blood of Zakajz.

thoughts?

hi, usually top dps wherever i go

playing arms, my opening rotation:

single target: charge, colossus smash>battle cry>spamming MS and WW, got both macroed with Focused rage (#showtooltip Mortal Strike/cast mortal strike /cast focused rage), also spammed hamstring but they changed that today (28.09.16) not proccing tactician.

whenever i get a reset on colossus smash, i use it. You always want to use MS after a CS, or execute depending on the % on the mob youre hitting (because of artifact trait: shattered defenses)

using warbreaker if i dont have CS up, MS coming off CD because i want to get the use of shattered defenses.

aoe rotation: charge>warbreaker>battle cry>bladestorm, after BS i use cleave>whirlwind (with macro for focused rage, MS when i can on targets with CS up.

my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Chipman/simple

Thanks for picking up this analysis guys. Inclined to agree with Unigolyn here.

As for your further questions, I'm not sure, but this bump should help find someone that does know, I hope!

You are making a mistake during Battle Cry.

FR/Hamstring are not on the global cooldown, so you should be spamming that along with Slam, you can do both at the same time, rather than waiting for 3 FR stacks then using slam which is what you are describing.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads lately.  After the recent hot-fixes, Hamstring obviously no longer procs Tactician. Is it still a good idea to keep it macro'd with Focus Rage and Slam for the soul fact of it not being on the GCD? Or not? If not what's the best macro to spam during Battle Cry? I know Darksong asked the same thing in one of the previous posts, I just wanted to clarify.  Currently during BC if CS isn't up (generally I wait for at least a reset before even using BC) I have a macro for FR, HS as well as Slam which I spam for resets. Sorry if I'm kind of thread-jacking but this will probably help others with a straight forward answer. Thanks in advance. 

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DrSwilly
      <Brood Theory> (10/10 H) is a progression-focused raiding guild looking for exceptional RDPS and a healer for Tomb of Sargeras and eventually, mythic progression. We raid Tuesdays and Thursdays (10pm-1am EST). Our raid nights consist of farming heroic NH and doing mythic +’s, but when Tomb comes out, we will be using those nights for serious progression. We are hoping to come back to mythic NH and eventually push mythic Tomb. Typically, the guild adds Wednesday (10pm-1am EST) as a farm night for gearing alts and hosting carry runs in order to stock up the guild bank for our raiders. However, we are currently using Tuesdays to do this, but this is subject to change during progression-focused times. We allow 750g in repairs a day for our raiders, and we provide you with free flasks, feasts, gems, enchants, and potions if needed.

Requirements:
      Voice:
      Discord

Add-ons:
      RC Loot Council
      Exorsus Raid Tools
      Deadly Boss Mods
      Skada/Recount

Other:
      895+ ilvl with at least 41 traits and 30 artifact knowledge (room for leniency if needed).
      At least a 4-piece set bonus from NH.
      Be familiar with class itemization and DPS SIMS.
      Watch videos of fights before coming to raid and follow mechanics (Will be posted in our Discord).
      Be on time and ready to enter a mature, but friendly raiding environment.

Casuals also welcome and encouraged to help build the guild community and atmosphere. We are looking for more like-minded and friendly individuals to join us for different guild events, contests, and etc. Our Discord server is a place where gamers of many different games (WoW, LoL, Overwatch, etc.) can come together, meet new people, and have a great time.

So, if you are looking to progress through mythic content or just relax and be a part of a friendly atmosphere, Brood Theory may be for you!

We are looking forward to hearing from you!

If you are interested, add my Battle.Net DrSwilly#1198 and send me a message.

• By Elithia
      Deathsworn Verdict

We are currently looking for DPS (Melee + Ranged)  and a Tank to bolster our mythic roster!
      Current progress: 9/10M NH, 3/3 TOV. Raid Times
       Wednesday: 20:45 – 00:00  Thursday: 20:45 – 00:00  Sunday: 20:45 – 00:00
      During progression, we occasionally extend to a Monday (20:45-00:00) raid if a boss kill is on the horizon.

Apply on our site at: http://deathswornverdict.enjin.com/
      Or contact me for further information: Elithia#2451 
      Deathsworn Verdict – Who Are We?

Deathsworn Verdict (Ravencrest) has been an active raiding guild since 2011 and over the years, we have always worked hard to progress through high-end content as a cohesive team. Raiding is only one side of the story for us, though. No day in Deathsworn Verdict goes without jokes and laughter, and we are immensely proud of the unique, inclusive guild atmosphere that we have cultivated.

What Can You Expect From Us?
       A humorous, unique social atmosphere that extends outside of raid times and outside of WoW.  Solid, focused mythic progression.  A range of off-raid activities, such as mythic+ groups and alt runs.
      What Do We Expect From You?
      · Full preparation for each raid. This includes knowledge of the fight, correct gems and enchants as well as bringing consumables. · To have the drive to improve and be mature enough to handle constructive criticism. · To be able to communicate in English using a microphone + Discord. · We do not tolerate homophobia, sexism or racism in any form.
    • By Gwynie
      Deeprun Tram Security of Silvermoon EU seek players who have a positive, friendly attitude and willingness to better themselves in order to progress through difficult content. 
      Our raid days are Wednesday, Sunday and Monday from 19-22 server time. 
      We are currently recruiting one healer and a few dps of the following classes:
      Healer:
      Resto Druid
      DPS:
      High:
      Warlock
      Shadow Priest
      Hunter
      Feral Druid
      Medium:
      Balance Druid
      Death Knight
      Warrior
      Low:
      Demon Hunter
      Retribution Paladin
      Windwalker Monk
      Elemental Shaman
      All applications will be reviewed and considered, so you are welcome to apply, even if your class/spec isn’t listed.
      If you are interested in raiding with us, visit our website www.deepruntramsecurity.org for more info or whisper Icegrlslave or Gwynie in game for a chat.
      Potential recruits should have the following qualities:
      - Proficiency with their class, knowledge about the game and the desire and attitude to reach a level of performance required in raid encounters by researching, practicing, and gearing.
      - Availability to attend 90% of our raids.
      - Positive attitude, willingness to learn/teach/improve, and distaste for drama/whining/complaining.
      - Acceptance of the guild rules and looting policy.
    • By DrSwilly
      <Brood Theory> (10/10 H) is a progression-focused raiding guild looking for exceptional RDPS and 2 healers for mythic Nighthold progression and Tomb of Sargeras. Tuesdays and Thursdays (10pm-1am EST) are for serious progression.  We currently have 15 active raiding spots filled for our 20 man team, so we kindly ask for patience as we assemble our group! On Wednesdays, (10-1am EST) we have an open guild raid designed to farm content and gear alts; we are currently farming heroic NH on Wednesdays. We also use Wednesdays to sell carries, so we can stock up the guild bank with flasks, potions, feasts, and repairs. We allow 750g in repairs a day for our raiders, and we provide you with free flasks, feasts, and potions if  needed.
      Requirements:
      Voice:
      Discord
      Add-ons:
      RC Loot Council
      Exorsus Raid Tools
      Deadly Boss Mods
      Skada/Recount
      Other:
      895+ ilvl with at least 41 traits and 30 artifact knowledge (room for leniency if needed).
      At least a 4-piece set bonus from NH.
      Be familiar with class itemization and DPS SIMS.
      Watch videos of fights before coming to raid and follow mechanics (Will be posted in our Discord).
      Be on time and ready to enter a mature, but friendly raiding environment.
      Casuals also welcome and encouraged to help build the guild community and atmosphere. We are looking for more like-minded and friendly individuals to join us for different guild events, contests, and etc. Our Discord server is a place where gamers of many different games (WoW, LoL, Overwatch, etc.) can come together, meet new people, and have a great time.
      So, if you are looking to progress through mythic content or just relax and be a part of a friendly atmosphere, Brood Theory may be for you!
      We are looking forward to hearing from you!
      If you are interested, add my Battle.Net DrSwilly#1198 and send me a message.
    • By Ithok
      If you are swedish, looking to raid 2-3 days a week, looking for a very social, fun but still competitive mythic guild, then look no further, we are the guild for you. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about us.
      About us:
      Geek Squad is a swedish guild that has been around for many years. We are currently focusing on mythic raiding and our goal is to always clear the current content before the release of the next tier. The guild is composed mainly of former hardcore raiders who can't play as much as in our younger days but who still want to play, have fun and have a good progression. Since we raid only 2 days a week we expect our raiders to have a high attendance and to be well prepared for current content. 
      Raid schedule:
      Wednesday Optional Hc clear: 19-When we are done
      Thursday: 19–22
      Sunday: 18-22
      We never extend beyond these raiding hours.
      What do we expect from you:
      - Swedish speaker; as the guild solely consists of swedish players we expect you to have a good understanding of the swedish language and be able to communicate on both voicecom and chat.
      - Attendance; as we only raid 2 days a week and keep a tight roster of raiders (not more then few on the bench at time) so being there and available even if not selected for certain boss is very important
      - Maturity; as the average age in Geek Squad is a bit above most guilds we would prefer if you are as well. We are a bunch of guys with families, jobs and real lives outside of the game and we understand all that comes with it. However if you are to commit to raiding with us we want you to be in it for the long haul. We focus on having fun with the game while also maintaining a competitive attitude, we hope you want to be a part of and contribute to that.
      - Social skills; be communicative, enjoy the game, let us know in advance if something is going to interfere with your raiding schedule so that we can plan accordingly. In our own modest opinions we have one of the best guild environments you can be a part of and we want to bring in more people who can positively contribute to that.
      - Know your class inside out and how to perform it to its maximum. Be able to take constructive criticism
      What can we offer you:
      - Stable guild; the guild has been around for a long time and we have no plans to slow down now.
      -We always try to bring the players that will give us the most chance of killing a boss on progression fights, this means you will have the same chance as everyone else of competing for a spot.
      - Experienced and motivated players; most of our raiders have played the game for a long time (vanilla/tbc) and are still highly motivated to get the most of the raiding time that we have together. If you are to join us we expect you to do everything you can to further those goals.
      - Occasional alt raids, not mandatory. Totally optional for people who want a little bit more raiding on side with their alts
      PROGRESS:
      Emerald Nightmare: 7/7
      Trial of Valor: 2/3
      Nighthold: 8/10 (10/10 HC farming on off days)
      RECRUITMENT:
      We are currently looking to extend our roster with 2-3 players and are looking for the following classes:
      Rogue
      Elemental Shaman
      Warlock
      Frost DK
      Balance Druid
      We don't have an application form as we feel that is an old and inefficient way of doing recruitment. Instead we focus on interviews as well as going through a bit of logs. We don't expect you to consistently parse in the 90% but at least showing that you know your class well.
      As for which classes we are looking for we are quite flexible at the moment as we currently have a good class balance already so we are mainly interested in you as a player rather than your class/specc. With that said we do specifically want a resto shaman and a rogue a bit more than anything else.
      If you are interested feel free to contact us.
      How to apply:
      To apply contact Ithok#2898, Krebb#2944, kebban#21852 or whisper an officer ingame.
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon!