SkaptorZ

Legendary Mage Fast Freeze Standard Deck

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've been playing hearthstone for a while now and my favorite deck is N'Zoth paladin. I can easily reach rank 10 with this deck but i am keeping track and i have a 100% lose rate against fast freeze mage, the deck with a lot of card draw and mostly spells. No matter how much board control or health i have, they always seem to be able to deal 30+ damage in 1 single turn at some point, and you know its going to happpen when they drop emperor thaurissan. I'm getting really annoyed and have tried things like the eater of secrets to stop them but so far i havent been able to beat a single one of them... I know warrior is a good matchup but is there really now possible way to beat them with N'Zoth paladin? I'm also having the same problem dealing with malygos/thaurissan combos...

Hopefully someone can help me out!

I would recommend adding some agro into your choices for your death rattle cards.  Freeze Mage or high combo decks often need two turns to set the win up, so if you can force them to use resources to kill your minions or reduce the number of turns they have to live you can kill them before they can line up the combo.  Most combo moves come in at 15-25 damage for a four to six card combo so hand size can give you an idea on what they can deal in one shot.  From there healing after alexstraza or staying at 30 puts a lot more pressure on getting the complete combo or requiring additional turns in which you can get the win.

Also your win condition for n'zoth is either a win on resources or with a sudden large board drop.  This is ineffective against decks with strong board clears or stall which already have ways to deal with large boards.  Your key move here is recognizing when facing a combo deck and switching plays to win on tempo.  

One tech card I recommend is crazed alchemist as it removes a doomsayer and puts a body on the board.  Also ragnarous fire type is a good inclusion since it will almost always deal 8 face damage that can pop the ice blocks sooner.  Other than that strong effective board presence but not large ones are the ones I find hardest to deal with as a freeze mage.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

N'Zoth control isn't really favoured against Freeze Mage, but there are a couple of things you must keep in mind:

- If he can build up his combo for 30 damage, then he's not under pressure. Play a lot more aggressively against a Freeze Mage (I know this is not exactly a given with a slow control deck). You must pressure him into spending his cards against your minions rather than your face, and for that you need to play minions and no just a Silver Hand Recruit he'll end up pinging each turn while building up his combo. Go for his face ASAP and as much as you can, pop those damn blocks.

- Freeze Mage will sometimes go for the full 30 damage in one turn, but also rely on Alexstrasza to soften you up. If he plays Alex, it means he can deal roughly 15-20 damage only next turn so HEAL UP! That's one of your deck's strong points.

Eater of Secrets can grab you a win in those cases the smug bastard plays its Alex believing itself safe behind an Ice Block, and you go for the sucker punch before it can unleash hell. But it is a dead card most of the time even against Freeze Mage (since you need to whittle him down low enough), is occasionally useful against a Hunter; and a complete waste of a slot otherwise. I'd only include it if you end up facing a lot of Mages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keizoku said:

N'Zoth control isn't really favoured against Freeze Mage, but there are a couple of things you must keep in mind:

- If he can build up his combo for 30 damage, then he's not under pressure. Play a lot more aggressively against a Freeze Mage (I know this is not exactly a given with a slow control deck). You must pressure him into spending his cards against your minions rather than your face, and for that you need to play minions and no just a Silver Hand Recruit he'll end up pinging each turn while building up his combo. Go for his face ASAP and as much as you can, pop those damn blocks.

- Freeze Mage will sometimes go for the full 30 damage in one turn, but also rely on Alexstrasza to soften you up. If he plays Alex, it means he can deal roughly 15-20 damage only next turn so HEAL UP! That's one of your deck's strong points.

Eater of Secrets can grab you a win in those cases the smug bastard plays its Alex believing itself safe behind an Ice Block, and you go for the sucker punch before it can unleash hell. But it is a dead card most of the time even against Freeze Mage (since you need to whittle him down low enough), is occasionally useful against a Hunter; and a complete waste of a slot otherwise. I'd only include it if you end up facing a lot of Mages.

Thanks a lot, will try to add some agro to my deck. Maybe ill try anyfin paladin

13 hours ago, Quinnmare said:

I would recommend adding some agro into your choices for your death rattle cards.  Freeze Mage or high combo decks often need two turns to set the win up, so if you can force them to use resources to kill your minions or reduce the number of turns they have to live you can kill them before they can line up the combo.  Most combo moves come in at 15-25 damage for a four to six card combo so hand size can give you an idea on what they can deal in one shot.  From there healing after alexstraza or staying at 30 puts a lot more pressure on getting the complete combo or requiring additional turns in which you can get the win.

Also your win condition for n'zoth is either a win on resources or with a sudden large board drop.  This is ineffective against decks with strong board clears or stall which already have ways to deal with large boards.  Your key move here is recognizing when facing a combo deck and switching plays to win on tempo.  

One tech card I recommend is crazed alchemist as it removes a doomsayer and puts a body on the board.  Also ragnarous fire type is a good inclusion since it will almost always deal 8 face damage that can pop the ice blocks sooner.  Other than that strong effective board presence but not large ones are the ones I find hardest to deal with as a freeze mage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! Going to give crazed alchemist a shot

Let us know how those changes worked for you! If they didn't, we can always try recommending more :)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pain
      Hello guys i would like to share my weakauras for each healing class, hope you like it ;)
      Any feedback is appreciated
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      New to Weakauras ?
      You can download it here :
      https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/weakauras-2
      Copy - paste the code of which you can find down below  (Import string) On the wago.io webpage links you can find a copy string button on the right, colored red.
      Like this :  When ingame type /wa to open the control panel of weakaura. Select "import" Paste the string from the wago webpage into this. A screen will pop-up and select the import button on it. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Update Log :
      17-06-17 : Alot of changes to the Shaman Healing tool and a few to the Druid Healing tool.
      26-06-17 : Massive update for Holy palading Healing tool !
      01-07-17 : Massive update for Holy Priest Healing tool !
      16-07-17 : Big improvement for the Druid Healing tool. 
      29-07-17 : Shaman healing tool now supports legendary's and trinkets from 7.2.5
      25-08-17 : Massive update for Disc Priest healing tool 
      26-08-17 : Tuned Paladin and Druid healing tool and some small improvements
      02-09-17 : Small update for Holy Priest healing tool
      15-09-17 : Shaman healing tool now supports PvP feature's and some tuning to Paladin healing tool
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Summary :
      Shaman Druid Paladin Priest Monk ____________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Shaman 

Resto Shaman - Healing Tool

Import string :  https://wago.io/SJAG4cTub        ←
      Resto Shaman - Small Healing Tool
      If you prefer a smaller setup, you might like this one. (But doesnt cover everything)

Import string :  https://wago.io/H1SpVcaOZ        ←
      Resto Shaman - Cooldowns

Import string : https://wago.io/r1JWBcp_Z       ←
      Resto Shaman - Usable cooldowns

Import string :  https://wago.io/S1u7HqpdZ       ←

Druid 
      Druid - Healing Tool

Import string :  https://wago.io/H1ZvS9p_b       ←

Druid - Cooldowns

Import string : https://wago.io/rJnjBqaOZ        ←

Paladin
      Paladin - Healing tool

Import string : https://wago.io/BkQJU96dZ        ←

Paladin - Cooldowns

Import string :  https://wago.io/rJibIqTdZ       ←
      Paladin - Light of Dawn info *additional*

Import string : https://wago.io/HyrN6y4YZ         ←
      Priest
      Holy Priest - Healing Tool

Import string : https://wago.io/H1PU8qa_Z        ←
      Holy Priest - Cooldowns

Import string :  https://wago.io/HJvY89au-       ←
      Holy Priest - Trail of light Talent Tracker *Additional*

Import string :  https://wago.io/EyclhaZuZ        ←

Disc Priest - Healing Tool

Import string :  https://wago.io/SyCn89TdZ        ←

Monk
      Since i know little about monk healing, i do not feel like ill be the right person to try and make a weakaura
      for the monk, but i've got a link from someone else his. Since i still want to be some what helpfull to
      any healing class.
      https://wago.io/4yaTFmN6G        ←
      *credits to Emarline*
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      The Sworn is recruiting DPS.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 4/9 Mythic TOS.  We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:05 PM until 12:05 AM Eastern.  Currently, our main goal is to push Mythis TOS progression versus clearing farmed content, please keep this in mind if you wish to join us.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review or hit me up on battlenet, Violentnacho, recruiting officer (violentravi#1826.
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, PUBG, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: 
      Stjern#2802 or Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 930~ ilvl
      - 62+ traits.
      - 6/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Death Knight: Blood/Unholy.
      Warrior: Arms.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Druid: Guardian.
      Hunter: MM/BM.
      Mage: Frost/Fire.
      Rogue: Assassination/Subtlety.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Warlock: Affliction/Destruction.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By capimeista
      hello everyone,
      i feel like im doing way to low dmg in my hc raids could some of you take a look at my logs and see if im doing something wrong.
      i already know my legendary ice time isnt the best but i dont have another.
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dXFRr843LvBVNTpk/#type=damage-done&boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=5
      my thanks.