FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
SkaptorZ

Legendary Mage Fast Freeze Standard Deck

Hi everyone,

I've been playing hearthstone for a while now and my favorite deck is N'Zoth paladin. I can easily reach rank 10 with this deck but i am keeping track and i have a 100% lose rate against fast freeze mage, the deck with a lot of card draw and mostly spells. No matter how much board control or health i have, they always seem to be able to deal 30+ damage in 1 single turn at some point, and you know its going to happpen when they drop emperor thaurissan. I'm getting really annoyed and have tried things like the eater of secrets to stop them but so far i havent been able to beat a single one of them... I know warrior is a good matchup but is there really now possible way to beat them with N'Zoth paladin? I'm also having the same problem dealing with malygos/thaurissan combos...

Hopefully someone can help me out!

I would recommend adding some agro into your choices for your death rattle cards.  Freeze Mage or high combo decks often need two turns to set the win up, so if you can force them to use resources to kill your minions or reduce the number of turns they have to live you can kill them before they can line up the combo.  Most combo moves come in at 15-25 damage for a four to six card combo so hand size can give you an idea on what they can deal in one shot.  From there healing after alexstraza or staying at 30 puts a lot more pressure on getting the complete combo or requiring additional turns in which you can get the win.

Also your win condition for n'zoth is either a win on resources or with a sudden large board drop.  This is ineffective against decks with strong board clears or stall which already have ways to deal with large boards.  Your key move here is recognizing when facing a combo deck and switching plays to win on tempo.  

One tech card I recommend is crazed alchemist as it removes a doomsayer and puts a body on the board.  Also ragnarous fire type is a good inclusion since it will almost always deal 8 face damage that can pop the ice blocks sooner.  Other than that strong effective board presence but not large ones are the ones I find hardest to deal with as a freeze mage.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

N'Zoth control isn't really favoured against Freeze Mage, but there are a couple of things you must keep in mind:

- If he can build up his combo for 30 damage, then he's not under pressure. Play a lot more aggressively against a Freeze Mage (I know this is not exactly a given with a slow control deck). You must pressure him into spending his cards against your minions rather than your face, and for that you need to play minions and no just a Silver Hand Recruit he'll end up pinging each turn while building up his combo. Go for his face ASAP and as much as you can, pop those damn blocks.

- Freeze Mage will sometimes go for the full 30 damage in one turn, but also rely on Alexstrasza to soften you up. If he plays Alex, it means he can deal roughly 15-20 damage only next turn so HEAL UP! That's one of your deck's strong points.

Eater of Secrets can grab you a win in those cases the smug bastard plays its Alex believing itself safe behind an Ice Block, and you go for the sucker punch before it can unleash hell. But it is a dead card most of the time even against Freeze Mage (since you need to whittle him down low enough), is occasionally useful against a Hunter; and a complete waste of a slot otherwise. I'd only include it if you end up facing a lot of Mages.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keizoku said:

N'Zoth control isn't really favoured against Freeze Mage, but there are a couple of things you must keep in mind:

- If he can build up his combo for 30 damage, then he's not under pressure. Play a lot more aggressively against a Freeze Mage (I know this is not exactly a given with a slow control deck). You must pressure him into spending his cards against your minions rather than your face, and for that you need to play minions and no just a Silver Hand Recruit he'll end up pinging each turn while building up his combo. Go for his face ASAP and as much as you can, pop those damn blocks.

- Freeze Mage will sometimes go for the full 30 damage in one turn, but also rely on Alexstrasza to soften you up. If he plays Alex, it means he can deal roughly 15-20 damage only next turn so HEAL UP! That's one of your deck's strong points.

Eater of Secrets can grab you a win in those cases the smug bastard plays its Alex believing itself safe behind an Ice Block, and you go for the sucker punch before it can unleash hell. But it is a dead card most of the time even against Freeze Mage (since you need to whittle him down low enough), is occasionally useful against a Hunter; and a complete waste of a slot otherwise. I'd only include it if you end up facing a lot of Mages.

Thanks a lot, will try to add some agro to my deck. Maybe ill try anyfin paladin

13 hours ago, Quinnmare said:

I would recommend adding some agro into your choices for your death rattle cards.  Freeze Mage or high combo decks often need two turns to set the win up, so if you can force them to use resources to kill your minions or reduce the number of turns they have to live you can kill them before they can line up the combo.  Most combo moves come in at 15-25 damage for a four to six card combo so hand size can give you an idea on what they can deal in one shot.  From there healing after alexstraza or staying at 30 puts a lot more pressure on getting the complete combo or requiring additional turns in which you can get the win.

Also your win condition for n'zoth is either a win on resources or with a sudden large board drop.  This is ineffective against decks with strong board clears or stall which already have ways to deal with large boards.  Your key move here is recognizing when facing a combo deck and switching plays to win on tempo.  

One tech card I recommend is crazed alchemist as it removes a doomsayer and puts a body on the board.  Also ragnarous fire type is a good inclusion since it will almost always deal 8 face damage that can pop the ice blocks sooner.  Other than that strong effective board presence but not large ones are the ones I find hardest to deal with as a freeze mage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! Going to give crazed alchemist a shot

Let us know how those changes worked for you! If they didn't, we can always try recommending more :)

• Like 1