FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Opinions on Brawls

So, they've been up for a bit now, what do we think of the brawls of HoTS? Good or bad? Better than in other games?

What would you improve?

The first brawl was amazing. Punisher arena is an example of how brawls should continue

On the other hand, I didn't like the new Hammer brawl at all. It's nearly impossible to make a comeback and it depends on luck heavily. Also the lack of heal, tank and even assassins makes the match boring and static

Hearthstone Tavern Brawls are more fun to play. I know those are two different games but I hope Heroes of The Storm can step up these brawls a little bit and not just test strange mechanics on us. I barely played the 3 matches for the gold and I don't want to play that brawl again

Still waiting for Randomonium to visit HotS. But I'm waiting for super crazy brawls as well, similar to DotA's custom games, or WCIII TFT's maps, like Tower Defences or even races. Hopefully the latter will come sooner than the former.

As for the current brawls, they are quite enjoyable, 7/7 Doctors would play again. I'm afraid they will get repetitive over time, but we aren't there yet.

On 10/30/2016 at 8:37 PM, positiv2 said:

Still waiting for Randomonium to visit HotS.

Why did you say this? You've doomed us now. It's all over. We'll get a brawl of "use a random ability when you hit Q that can affect any hero"

• Like 1

Brawls are fun, but

• It's boring to have the same arena up for the whole week, it should change with every brawl, like maps.
  • The Hammer Time brawl is too long. I'd take it if every team had 10 on the core not 20.
    • Why giving us specifically a Hammer Brawl? I'd love seeing 10 vs 10 of any Heroes, especially Murky / Abathur, yet again can't imagine it would stay up the entire week with just a single Hero, because it gets boring quickly and most of the people will do the Brawl at its start for the 1,000 Gold and won't touch it till the next one begins and I don't think it's something the devs want to achieve.

So far it has been a refreshing experience, but I agree with some comments about the Hammer Time being too long (although it is not so tiring). However, it's a new mode, so Blizz will take their time experimenting and hearing player feedback to see what works and what doesn't.

Sorry if what I'm gonna say is completely off-topic, but what I really want someday is to Blizz should give us a true PvE Experience in HotS... A Raid Mode: 5/10 Players VS 1 Boss (or various bosses through the match). Would be like playing WoW but without all the nuisances of gear and etc, and MUCH FASTER. I think it would be really fun if done right:

• Short matches where you kill empowered existing boss (and hopefully whole new bosses) to defend your own core.

• Allow players to choose any Hero they own and are in rotation. Or give players random options each time.

• Players start at level 20 and have the option to choose all Talents from 1 to 20. Or just give players the option of Ultimates from 10 and 20.

• Maps would be really small and straightforward, with a single lane leading to the boss (similar to the Tutorial Mode lane), with either players progressing forward or waiting for the boss to come at them.

• In this mode Mana Regen/Energy Generation would be increased. However the CD of Healing Wells would be increased.

• They could implement stuff like "Swarm Raids", where players must defend the lane from waves of monsters, and later fight the boss. In this case it could be a 3-way lane so players can make transitions between lanes.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 2:54 PM, Valhalen said:

Sorry if what I'm gonna say is completely off-topic, but what I really want someday is to Blizz should give us a true PvE Experience in HotS... A Raid Mode: 5/10 Players VS 1 Boss (or various bosses through the match). Would be like playing WoW but without all the nuisances of gear and etc, and MUCH FASTER. I think it would be really fun if done right:

You mean like the Year Beast in DOTA?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 10:54 AM, Valhalen said:

Sorry if what I'm gonna say is completely off-topic, but what I really want someday is to Blizz should give us a true PvE Experience in HotS...

agree, some of the best tavern brawls are the ones that feel like pve puzzles rather and a pvp match.

I could definitely get behind something like what league did with doom bots (which was fantastic and made me glad I hadn't uninstalled that game yet despite most switching over to hots).

basically if you're not familiar they programmed a bunch of champs to have crazy super-powered versions of their own spells and had a team of players against A.I. using these doombots. this year they updated by making the bots even crazier but making it more a survival mode where you had to last 15 min then fight a huge boss rather than actually try to win against the bots.

Edited by Voltorocks
misunderstood previous post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Voltorocks said:

basically if you're not familiar they programmed a bunch of champs to have crazy super-powered versions of their own spells and had a team of players against A.I. using these doombots. this year they updated by making the bots even crazier but making it more a survival mode where you had to last 15 min then fight a huge boss rather than actually try to win against the bots.

That almost VS AI against Elite in HotS. They deal so much damage! And the "reflexes" are insane, as the AI will sometimes pull you into combos that will wipe everything. Of course, it is still easy as fuck to exploit the AI, but still fun.

I've always liked Coop Multiplayers, like Left 4 Dead and Mass Effect 3. I think HotS has a lot of potential to give us a solid PvE experience given the variety of heroes to pick. They could even slap a story mode of sorts if they wanted. 

With Heroes Brawl Blizzard already stated that they're using this mode as a way to break rules they established, so I hope they experiment more and more to come up with modes tailored for every type of player. Much like in WoW where people that prefer PvE or PvP go to servers focused on that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

That almost VS AI against Elite in HotS. They deal so much damage! And the "reflexes" are insane, as the AI will sometimes pull you into combos that will wipe everything. Of course, it is still easy as fuck to exploit the AI, but still fun.

exactly; though the fun part is that they went beyond just overtuning the bots, they had things like skillshots that would shoot out in 6 directions or aoes spells that spawned new copies of themselves when they hit - I could go on, there was a lot of crazy stuff, and made it really interesting to try and see what they were still vulnerable to with these goofy kits.

Here's NB3 playing the doom bots devil teemo mode:

Just to add to the discussion for those that don't know it.