Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Westy

Focused Rage Arms Rotation Confusion in 7.1. Which one is right?

2 posts in this topic

Ok, so I been doing a lot of research and testing with the FR Arms build as set on Icy Veins, however there is some confusion over the best rotation when the target has >20% HP.

Icy Veins states the following, I removed the sub 20% suggestions:

1. Cast Charge Icon Charge if out of range of your target.
  2. Cast Colossus Smash Icon Colossus Smash if available and Icon Shattered Defenses is not active.
  3. Cast Icon Warbreaker if Colossus Smash Icon Colossus Smash is absent from the target and Icon Shattered Defenses is not active.
  4. Cast Execute Icon Execute with Ayala's Stone Heart Icon Ayala's Stone Heart procs.
  5. Cast Mortal Strike Icon Mortal Strike (regardless of Focused Rage Icon Focused Rage stacks) above 20%.
  6. Cast Focused Rage Icon Focused Rage if not at 3 stacks or during Battle Cry Icon Battle Cry.
  7. Cast Slam Icon Slam if at 3 stacks of Focused Rage Icon Focused Rage, or during Battle Cry Icon Battle Cry.

So this means that you could Charge > CS > MS > WB > FR until MS off CD > MS > FR unitl 3 stacks > Slam until MS off CD > MS...... and so on.

Now this is ok, but does leave you using MS alot of the time when FR is not at 3 stacks and outside Shattered Defense, meaning it is weak.

Now another version from Wowhead is:

1. ability_warrior_charge.gif Charge to enter melee range; ability_warrior_focusedrage.gif Focused Rage can be used simultaneously
  2. ability_warrior_colossussmash.gif Colossus Smash if warrior_talent_icon_igniteweapon.gif Shattered Defenses is not up; inv_sword_2h_artifactarathor_d_01.gif Warbreaker may be used if Colossus Smash is on cooldown and there is no upcoming AoE phase
  3. ability_warrior_focusedrage.gif Focused Rage once with each fresh application of warrior_talent_icon_igniteweapon.gif Shattered Defenses, or if above 75 rage (100 rage with ability_warrior_intensifyrage.gif Unending Rage) to avoid rage capping
  4. ability_warrior_decisivestrike.gif Slam if above 32 rage and ability_warrior_colossussmash.gif Colossus Smash and ability_warrior_savageblow.gif Mortal Strike are on cooldown
  5. If below 32 rage and other abilities are on cooldown, simply wait for a higher priority to become available or move out of melee range and ability_warrior_charge.gif Chargeback in to generate more rage

In other words, keeping the Shattered Defenses buff up is priority, and Focused Rage should only be used with that buff or to keep from rage capping. Aside from using Colossus Smash and Mortal Strike on cooldown, Slam will be the main filler and rage spender while waiting for Colossus Smash cooldown resets.

Now this is ok, but again it seems to lack 3 stacks of FR for use with Shattered Defense and MS due to hitting slam before stacking 3 FR.

The last roration is another that I have see in these forums and goes like this:

1. ability_warrior_charge.gif Charge to enter melee range; ability_warrior_focusedrage.gif Focused Rage can be used simultaneously
  2. ability_warrior_colossussmash.gif Colossus Smash if warrior_talent_icon_igniteweapon.gif Shattered Defenses is not up; inv_sword_2h_artifactarathor_d_01.gif Warbreaker may be used if Colossus Smash is on cooldown and there is no upcoming AoE phase
  3. ability_warrior_savageblow.gif Mortal Strike after ability_warrior_colossussmash.gif Colossus Smash and when warrior_talent_icon_igniteweapon.gif Shattered Defenses is up regardless of FR stacks
  4. ability_warrior_focusedrage.gif Focused Rage until 3 stacks
  5. ability_warrior_decisivestrike.gif Slam span until Tactition procs then go to 3 above
This makes the most sense as it maximises the damage done by Mortal Strike by only using to when Shattered Defense is up and slam spamming fishing for CS resets. So it will look like this.

Charge > CS + FR > MS > FR > FR > FR > Slam > Slam > CS (proc) + FR > MS > FR > CS (proc) + FR > MS.... and so on and so on.

What is the definitive answer here for the max DPS and damage over a period of a fight?
Edited by Westy

2 hours ago, Westy said:

What is the definitive answer here for the max DPS and damage over a period of a fight?

Good afternoon, Westy.

If you could provide the answer for that question alone. . . it'd be liking having Willy Wonka's golden ticket. In reality, however, there is no such thing as a definitive answer because there are other factors not listed in any of these guides. The very definition of a guide is "a thing that helps someone to form an opinion or make a decision or calculation".

Overall, all three suggestions above say the same thing. However they can be modified by factors such as trinket procs, your stats, your luck in Tactician procs, how far along you are in the artifact weapon. . . so many things.

The bottom line to any rotation guide you read will have the following points in between the lines:

• Always prioritize having Colossus Smash on your target.
  • Cast Mortal Strike regardless of Focus Rage stacks.
  • Do not overuse Focus Rage (have a way to monitor your stacks; don't cast FR if you're already at 3 stacks).
  • Do not overwrite your Shattered Defenses buff.
  • Use Warbreaker to extend the duration of Colossus Smash.
  • Monitor your swing timer (WA / Quartz) and use Charge to generate rage if nothing else is available.

That's just above 20% HP. There are nuances that will come into play while you're maintaining those concepts. If you keep those points in mind then you will know what ability to use next and how to maintain your rotation. Again, things can come into play like consecutive Tactician procs, heroism, etc. These rotations you're reading are guides. They are, by no means, definitive.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HerrDave
      Some backstory - I started as a protection warrior so I could pull a load of mobs and AoE them into a puddle over time without being liquefied myself.
      I went like this from 1-100 without a hitch. Switched to Arms because of my fascination with Blademasters and Blackhand and I was promptly curb-stomped into oblivion.

From what I've experienced, Arms has incredibly bursty unpredictable damage which can either annihilate a target or grant you no procs whatsoever making for long gaps in the fight during which you will do negligible damage.

The only self-healing abilities you have are:
      Second Wind - Restores 6% of your maximum health ever 1 second after 5 seconds without taking damage.
      Victory Rush - Heals you for 30% of your maximum health, only useable after killing an enemy.
      Touch of Zakajz - 3%-6%-9% of mortal strike's damage is returned to you as health.

If during a fight a monster starts out DPSing you, the fight is already over and you are graced with the choice of fleeing or dying because your defensive cooldowns aren't the best thing in the world.
      This becomes very evident when attempting to solo rares or even packs of mobs larger than three at 110.

There are two builds for Arms circling the web.
      In short these are their gimmicks.
      -Great for sniping stragglers in PvP
      Cons
      -Very clunky use of Focused Rage
      -Only shines in Colossus Smash windows
      -Very Poor AoE, cooldown based
      -Consistent damage
      -Some freedom with talents
      Cons
      -Stale rotation (You don't build towards something)
      -Sub-par AoE
      -Poor burst damage

TL:DR
      I had an astonishingly hard time as an Arms warrior, even fighting two enemies at a time I would come very close to dying.
      My damage was GREAT but only during the windows provided by battle cry/avatar combo.
      My survivability sucked, my damage sucked, my AoE sucked, and I ended going back to Protection to progress.

I REALLY want to like Arms, but it just falls on its face every time I try to use it.

I call to you Arms warriors, you brave few - what is the trick to the specialization?
      What is the purpose / focus of the spec?
    • By ZuzgwangGroo
      Hello all, 
                   Thanks for your yalls time and I hope I am in the the right place to ask. First things first, here is my toons info page. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Aurgus/advanced . The question I have is this. On the Arms Warrior guide, it states the the stat priority for Arms Warrior is Mastery>Haste>Versatility>Strength>Crit . Then the first thing it says in the next paragraph is the following.
      Strength is your primary statistic. You should look for it in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Attack Power, which determines the damage your abilities do.
      Critical Strike provides additional damage to your attacks and abilities, and also increases your rage generated by auto-attack swings on successful critical strikes.
      As a on and off again / returning player and all around general boob, I mean, NOOB lol, this is extremely confusing. I am already and almost done with my main Warrior quest, and I have so far chosen gear that focused on Mastery and Haste. But from that the guide says, I am doing it wrong?
      Thanks again for your time , any help would be appreciated, and MUCH LOVE from Wisconsin :)

ZugzwangGroo,
      All Who Wander Are Not Lost :)
    • By Elodar
      Hey Gang, would you mind looking at my logs and let me know where I can improve my rotation as an assassination rogue.  I notice that all of my best logs have a significant amount of Poison Bomb and I don't like praying to RNJesus.  I am hoping there are some things I can do to hit top dps.  
      Here is my armory. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Elodar/simple.  I know my Mastery is low but lately I have had crap luck on drops.  One of the options I have to bring up my Mastery is to drop Insignia of Ravenholdt +Well Flattened Wristguards and change to Denial of Half Giants + an 890 Spellblades Gemmed Signet but Denial is a sub rogue legendary.  This brings my agility to 34248, mastery to 137%, and my crit to 28%.  I tried running this combo with the higher mastery and did not feel like I was doing more dps even though the Sims say I should.  

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dF3qCynDbvGrVAh6#fight=14&type=damage-done&source=186  This is one of my better logs where I think I did most thing correct.  Please look at this and let me know if there is something I am missing.
    • By Cryea
      Hi Guys, I need little help with stats priority and rotation. I think, Im doing something wrong with my dps. Cant break 500k-550k DPS on single target and need advice to someone AoE target bosses in Nighthold.
      I send my armory:
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Cryea/simple
      And the logs:
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7Tp6r4a2vKdtYPDg

Sorry for my bad english and its my first post.
    • By Peiriannydd
      So I've been pushing and pushing to get my DPS up over the course of the new expansion.  I've managed to bag my self the legendary shoulders and feet. I've been looking at logs and trying to improve things. I learnt a new opener (which massively improved my dps) and got my crit up (as I noticed other rogues had much higher crit than me).
      And now I just don't know what to do. I just can't seem to get better!
      I'll put a link to logs from the last heroic nighthold we did. It wasn't my best night performance wise  anyway (i'm playing on a potato and we had a huge raid group - fps sat between 6-15 for the whole raid). I think I'm doing something wrong with my main rotation when compared to the other rogue than joined us but I just don't know what it is. I'm stumped.

So if anyone can see obvious mistakes then please shout at me so I can fix them. It's getting really frustrating!    You should be able to get to past logs through this link too.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JxZwmh6gTpK7RMd2/

Thanks!
      Peiriannydd.