FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Andell

Prolonged Power vs Old War/Deadly Grace

Hello there fellow DK's. I was wondering, the guide says to use Potion of the Old War and Potion of Deadly Grace, and I've generally gone with old war on dps checks or important bosses, and the newer, cheaper, prolonged power on less important pulls. But what is the difference in dps between them? If it matters, I am a frost dk. Specifically:

Is one better for ST vs AoE? By how much?

Is one better to use during bloodlust vs the other? 

Is one better in all scenarios?

and Is prolonged power (with it's minute duration) better in fights where you want to prepot, but you will spend a lot of the potion time moving instead of actually fighting?

Edited by Andell

Pretty sure prolonged power is better I've seen many high end players using it and parsing 99/100%. As well as through my own experimentation I have find it to be better. While I'm not sure if sims agree with this, I feel like it is better. I do not exact differences in terms of actual output, but you have to imagine that with old war only doing around 4million dmg at best for unholy, and frost and 2,500 for 2 minutes on a fight that is 5 minutes long, averages out to 1,000 strength which is as good as an extra item worth of strength (depending on slot/ilvl).  Which you have to imagine is just overall better than 4million dmg. I suggest using them on your opener, and on lust, or second gargoyle if your guild lusted on pull.

13 hours ago, Ommie said:

Not to mention it's far cheaper!

Frankly this leads my decision more than anything, raid requirement is pots and flasks, but they didn't say which ones >:D

That being said I miss garrisons in WoD (yeah I said that). I was stupid rich and could buy anything i wanted T_T

wouldn't it be better to prepot Potion of the Old War if Bloodlust/Heroism is used at start (HUGE burst)? And then use Prolonged Power as second pot?

@Daxter This is from logs and my own testing most top parsing players use prolonged for both, i do as well and it feels better, we have nothing that makes oldwar very good like warriors per instanceduring battle cry their old war always crits but for dks we don't really have much other than short GCDs