FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Holypro

Need help deciding gear-Prot paladin.

Armory Profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Hølypro/simple

Obviously the  current gear I am using in this is what I have thought is best.

My two questions are in regards to the ring and trinket. Obviously heathcliff's will stay but I cant decide between my current other ring and the Seal of darkshire nobility with a socket filled with quick dawnlight(http://www.wowhead.com/item=142171/seal-of-darkshire-nobility).

Other question I have is with my trinkets. In armory profile you can see two I have equipped. The third I am deciding upon is a Mythic Warforged 870 Raven Eidolon(http://www.wowhead.com/item=142169/raven-eidolon).

I always use 375 haste food and Stam flask when tanking, and most of my focus is on runing Mythic + dungeons. Not really a lot of time for pure raiding so most of my gear is tuned towards that and I have been reading in the higher level Mythic+ you want to start getting more versatility. Any suggestions for which might be better would be greatly appreciated. Pretty torn on what is best. Thanks!

Keep both rings and trinkets. The Seal of Darkshire is too low in terms of ilvl to outweigh the loss of haste from your other ring.

I also wouldn't take the Raven Eidolon since its stats aren't really great (no haste) and i wouldn't look for stam-trinkets at all. As Prot-Pallys we have pretty much the lowest health pool of the tank classes, but you won't face problems just because of that. The on-use effect isn't that great either. Look for trinkets with haste as a stat or on procc, like Unstable Arcanocrystal, Chains of the Valorous, Chrono Shard, ...

I mostly use Unstable Arcanocrystal (865ilvl) and Chrono Shard (880ilvl). I actually had the luck for strand of the stars to drop as 870 ilvl so i am using both right now and it works really nice. I only use Raven Eidolon for some affixes in Mythic+, mainly on Tyrannical (only some bosses) and Necrotic.There are only a few scenarios where stamina is better than haste. 

Ring wise, Seal of Darkshire is not worth loosing that amount of haste mainly because at the beginning of a fight you're always top hp with your active mitigation abilities available anyway.The spike damage appears later on and you'll need that extra heal or shield of the righteous. Maybe in some extreme M+ cases where you want to chain pull alot or mass pull an entire room but other than that it's not worth loosing haste.

Hope it helps.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Neshama
      Hi, several players told me, that my warrior is not having enough HP as he should with current item level.
      Here is the link to armory
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/burning-legion/wienkszy

How can I push my HP higher, is there any way I can increase it ?  Trinkets, relics, items. Am I  missing something ? 
    • By Fodia
      When I started playing again after several years off, I chose the wrong weapon/artifact chain for my Ret Paladin.  I choose Truthguard instead of Ashbringer.  So I am at 105 with Truthguard now and I was told by Bliz several levels ago that I could swap weapons at some point although I was not told how or when. I don't use Truthguard in play now just a normal weapon and seem to do ok. What must I do?
      From Blizzard -  "I understand you are contacting us about your starting artifact weapon! I know it would be frustrating wanting to use Retribution and the Ashbringer and getting the Truth Guard by mistake. I made this same mistake on my Shaman. I was anxious to get the Doom Hammer and didn’t realize I was required to use the Enhancement spec. I do have some information to share with you.
      The bad news is, once an artifact is selected, there’s no changing that. Luckily, you’re not stuck with this forever. You’ll need to go through some of the story line with the Truth Guard, but once you hit level 102, you’ll be presented with the option to pick up the other 2 artifact weapons. From there you will be able to use any one you’d like. ^_^"
    • By Maxillary
      I’m in the process of rerolling a tank. My question is: How do I know if I’m doing a good job?

I currently play a hunter and as a DPS the metrics that I use to judge my performance are fairly simple. If I’m consistently sitting in the top X percentile of DPS for my spec and gear; and sitting in at least the bottom half of the raid for damage taken, I can be relatively sure that I’m doing good DPS and doing the mechanics well too.

However, as a tank this falls apart. Damage taken and even damage mitigated are poor metrics because I need to know if I’m taking and avoiding/mitigating the right damage. For example, I may mitigate 95% of the total damage in a fight, but if the 5% that I don’t mitigate is the 5% that is vital to avoid then I have done a poor job. Damage taken is bad because I may only be sitting at the top of damage taken because I didn’t switch when I needed to, therefore taking unnecessary damage.

Staying alive is a poor metric too, just because I’ve stayed alive doesn’t mean that I’ve done a good job. What if I’m only alive because a healer needed to make the choice to keep me alive while I was taking excess damage and sacrifice one or more DPS in the process.

Keeping threat and tank switching etc at the right time is bad as well because there is more to tanking than just mechanics.

I’ve done some reading and apparently there is or was a ranking system for tanks in wowlogs. But after a long look I can’t find it and all the posts relating to this were over 12 months old, so I assume it’s been removed.

I’ve also spoken to our MT about this and his response was ‘I don’t know’. As someone who wants to preform at the highest level possible, I find it unacceptable to not be able to judge how I’m preforming relative to my past self (am I improving?) and other people in a similar position.

So, how do I judge if I’m doing a good job tanking and what areas need to be improved?

• By KinderHell
      Hi,
      I've just finished normal with my main 890ilvl (54 points) prot tank and also with my 876ilvl (36 points) druid tank.
      My conclusion is the following:
      The protection warrior is taking way to high damage from almost all abilities except auto-attacks which are low anyway.
      Shield block doesn't work against any of the abilities in nighthold and doesn't help with any magical skills.
      Basically our block even with 2 set items, having aprox 65% crit block chance is useless in Nighthold.
      The fact that our main reduction ability except our 8k-ish armor is useless for all Nighthold bosses. Demo, LS, SW, SR are ok for stack abilities or strong abilities but they couldn't be frequent enough. The damage taken spikes are crazy...just crazy and I've kept IP 40-60% of the damage and decent 90% + bracket dps.
      Paladin tank and warrior tank used to be very similar in damage taken ( normal damage taken ), now paladin is taking 100 millions and warrior is taking 200-400 million on same boss. This is because their damage is percent damage reduction and that works for magical also, but our shield block is irrelevant. Also paladins block spells now.
      In regard to my 876ilvl druid, I've done Guldan solo tanking without any stress. I've done rest of bosses without a problem, only keeping 1-2 stack of ironfur up and using rest of my rage for the 30% reduction every 10 sec, and I won't even start with the amount of cds druids have. These runs showed me how warrior is 0 compared to paladin,druid and DK. 
      I would place warrior on last place under DK, as Shield Block is an irreleant ability in this raid. You can check logs and compare raids from EN and Nighthold. It seems that to be so-so with a warrior tank you would have to maximize versatility and ignore every other stat :|, maybe then you will start reducing some damage from this raid.

I believe that even the first version of warrior tank from start of EN couldn't handle Nighthold as good as paladin,druid can now. They were just op at low level for being able to handle high mythic dungeons at low gear for stacking IP 2 million absorb, but they scaled bad compared to others and that IP would drop in 2 hits on Mythic EN content, making it so-so anywany.

Post below if any ideas pop to mind related to the above problem. Thanks ! 

• By Westy
      I have seen recently that Icy Veins changed the Protection Paladin stat priorities with the release of 7.1. I wanted to do my own research on it so downloaded the latest build of Simcraft  SimcSetup-710-01-Win64.exe , dated 2016-10-29 05:41, and run a tank based sim. No matter what settings I changed I could not replicate Icy Veins findings for their stat priorities of:
      Haste; Versatility; Mastery; Critical Strike. Further more as they do not post a pawn string or show weights it is also hard to see how much one stat is better than another.
      Anyhow I have run many many sims on this and the result I get is shown in the attached image. I set it to run 25000 sims with a patchwork fight using T19H. Even if I change it to T19M it does not really change the results.

As you can see it ranks Crit slightly above Mastery, but more or less equal, so why does Icy Veins say that Master is above Crit.
      Can anyone shed some light on this for me so I know I am gearing correctly. What do I believe?

Addition - I have run it on another Prot Paladin that has 888 gear and get the priorities of:
      Sta > Vers > Str ~= Crit ~= Mastery ~= Haste
      What is going on, am I doing something wrong or is it that there is no one glove fits all stat order. Maybe he has enough Mastery and Haste already so it only recomends Versitility as a good stat now. I am very confused.