zmandude24

Is Shadow still S2M Dependent

6 posts in this topic

I'm considering taking on the challenge of the shadow priest as my guild needs ranged dps and the idea of a difficult but solid spec sounds fun, though I don't want to only be useful when I can keep up S2M and crap otherwise. I heard before 7.1.5 that they were weak dps until they master a broken talent and then skyrocket to the top of the meters.

No it is not. s2m is almost never used anymore. And we got options now between PI or Misery (90) and Legacy or Shadow crash (100). And with the new Lingering Insanity talent we have more void form uptime resulting in more dps.

On 1/20/2017 at 11:27 PM, lmendonca said:

No it is not. s2m is almost never used anymore. And we got options now between PI or Misery (90) and Legacy or Shadow crash (100). And with the new Lingering Insanity talent we have more void form uptime resulting in more dps.

This isn't entirely true. S2M is still used on short boss fights, lasting ~200 seconds. For longer fights, Legacy or Shadow Crash will outperform it. PI should be the go-to talent in this tier, unless there's a lot of adds you need to DoT up (M+, Tichondrius, etc.) 

41 minutes ago, KyoukoSenpai said:

This isn't entirely true. S2M is still used on short boss fights, lasting ~200 seconds. For longer fights, Legacy or Shadow Crash will outperform it. PI should be the go-to talent in this tier, unless there's a lot of adds you need to DoT up (M+, Tichondrius, etc.) 

You should see Surrender perform well on shorter fights, and also fights with multiple targets. For example, on a 3-target fight (the end of Heroic Botanist, for example) a skilled player will be able to easily extend their surrender to the 3 torrent checkpoint where this would no longer be possible on a single target fight. Generally speaking though I would say Shadow Priest is very independent of Surrender for Mythic progression this tier as many of the Nighthold fights are quite long and grueling and do not favor such a playstyle.

I have been on a break for a few months now and I am personally glad to hear stm isnt that impactul anymore.

I mastered the stm rotation and cleared the emeral nightmare (up to heroic) fully. The only fight I actually enjoyed using stm was the very last one, xavius was really the only fight where you were guaranteed the first place on the meters. It's good to hear it is still usefull in some environments but I like the fact we don't need to ully master the rotation in order to deal proper damage. saddest thing in the world when popping surrender while being in a movement/cc heavy fight.

Out of curiosity. is stm usefull in mythic+ now? I remember they were gonna look at changing it (removing death pentalty?) for those.

STM is not a good talent to take to M+. Legacy of the Void is the default talent there just as it is for raiding, because of the high Voidform uptime.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cannotbecontained
      Currently I'm an iLevel of 872 and am putting out far less DPS than I should. On the boss level training dummy I can maintain around 300k and burst up to 400k w/ PI. Which I also know with my iLevel is probably still considered on the lower end of good. However, once I step into a boss fight my DPS barely surpasses our tanks.

I'm beginning to think I have no idea how to approach a rotation because of these numbers

Please help with whatever advice you can offer!

Here is my Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... ros/simple

And my logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 845/latest

Let me know what you think!
    • By Wonderdog
      LOGS:   https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/XrLzyCtFhNZ49RVW/#type=damage-done&source=19

Hi all, looking for some advice on SPriest. Recently leveled and geared up in order to fill a ranged slot in guild, but my DPS feels very light. I'm ranking in the bottom 10% of parses on Normal NH (see logs of latest run).

I'm not running a STM build, I'm living through fights - and as far as I can tell have stuck pretty rigidly to the recommended rotation and gearing (~12k haste, mastery > crit), my DOT uptime is solid, and I'm stringing out voidform as well as I can. I've got 35 points in my weapon.

Any advice appreciated!

#Wonderdog
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an Alliance guild on Uldum (PVE server) - I will keep this short. We are looking to add two ranged dps to our core mythic team. We would prefer a hunter/shadow priest/boomkin. We are currently 9/10 Heroic in Nighthold after 2 nights of heroic raiding. We were 7/7M in EN and 2/3M in ToV. We raid:

Tuesday - 8-11 EST
      Thursday - 8-11 EST
      Sunday 7-11 EST

We recruit players that have a good attitude, have high dps and are good with mechanics and movement. 

If interested, add me on btag: Stormcaster#1629
    • By Voizu
      Hello fellas and Shadow Priest friends!

I got a semi-big problem and I hope that some of you guys could help me. I think my DPS is too low for my GS and I am clueless what I could do different to have more damage done! I mean I don't think myself a total noob and I am better than the most Shadows I see when I go dungeons or raid but I know I could do more ...

Here is my gear (which btw is trangsmogged pretty stilishly :p)
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/die-aldor/voizu/simple

Here are the logs of yesterday - Monday, 11.14.2016
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/NvBxJrLdGzqaXTby/#fight=13

Don't look at Ursoc or the Nightmare Dragons ... I died too early and I was derp :s
      I think a good damage boss for Shadow Priests is Elerethe, as you can use your S2M as soon as you land on the second platform yet I only have 315k. An other example is Odyn with 280k. I mean okay, we tried him the first time and wiped once but he is not really complicated and I got a good hang on him and still I wonder how some Shadow Priests have over 400k DPS fighting Odyn. I know I only have one Legendary and it's not very good but luck's not on my side I guess. 

Any hints what I do better to be THE DPS monster :D, or atleast have more DPS?

Have a nice everyone and I want to thank you in advance for all your helpful tips!
      Voizu
    • By Sibelius
      Critical Strike: 27%
      Haste: 33%
      Mastery: 29%
      I'm using "Legacy of the Void."
      Any stats I should bring up or lower in relation to each other?