Hindrigan

ele: why no cast earth shock during ascendance???

Sign in to follow this  

4 posts in this topic

I just can't find the answer.  Why are elemental shamans who  take ascendance as their final talent not supposed to use earth shock during ascendance?  earth shock does 920% spell power.  lava burst does 275%.  If you overload with lava burst you do an additional 206% totaling 481% spell power.  if you have 25% crit during ascendance lava burst is now 343% spell power and the overload is 257% equaling a total of 600% spell power.  you are missing out on a instant cast spell for 320%  additional spell power worth of damage; and quite often times twice during ascendance.  that's 640% spell power which is more than a lava burst cast during ascendance with 25% crit.

I currently have 18% crit chance and during ascendance I'm critting lava burst at 434k (not extremely well geared I know, but the ratio is still present).  earth shock at 100 maelstrom non crit is 400k.  If you don't crit with earth shock you lose very little damage.  However, if you crit  with earth shock you do easily over 1million damage (several lava burst crits worth)  I really don't see a down side to using earth shock during ascendance other than 2-4 seconds off of fire elemental due to elementalist in your artifact tree.

By all means show me that I'm being silly. Please.  Thanks all

You're forgetting about the extra damage from Path of Flame in the first tier of traits. Also, most guides will tell you to heavily prioritize relics with the Lava Imbued trait for your artifact weapon. Your artifact weapon also has the Molten Blast trait, which increases Lava Burst critical strike damage. On top of that, Lava Burst also procs Volcanic Inferno and Power of the Maelstrom.

it still comes no where close to the same damage. all of the buffs you've stated are incorporated into the numbers in my second paragraph except for power of the maelstrom since that works with lightning bolt and you don't cast that anyway during ascendance.  lava burst is critting during ascendance for basically the same as a non crit  full maelstrom earth shock.

Don't think of it in terms of the damage done by the ability. Think of the opportunity cost of each ability. They are both powerful, but what do you stand to lose with each choice?

1) When you get near the end of Ascendance, you use Earth Shock to dump Maelstrom. By doing this, you lose out on a cast of Lava Burst, and you can't get it back, because during Ascendance the cooldown on Lava Burst is removed. This means when you exit Ascendance, even though you have been spamming Lava Burst, you still have 2 charges. So any missed casts are effectively lost forever.

2) You instead use Lava Burst. In so doing, you waste 12 maelstrom. This causes you to lose out on 12% of a full power Fulmination. Not really a big deal compared to losing an entire cast of Lava Burst. Even if you use it 8 times in succession before finally dumping with Earth Shock, you're still going to have to lose a Lava Burst in order to use Earth Shock anywhere in that sequence, so the math still has you ahead. Also, consider that during Ascendance, your Lava Burst damage is increased by an amount equal to your crit chance (dynamically scaling with any temporary effects like trinkets). So the more gear you get with Critical Strike on it, the more you're going to benefit from playing this way.

It might seem at first like there is some flaw with the logic, since we have it drilled into us not to waste resources. But in this case, it is actually very clear cut that it is more efficient to keep spamming Lava Burst, except to use Elemental Blast when it comes off cooldown.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stormcaller28
      Ascendance has been around for a long time, with a proud history of quality raiding. We've had good times, we've had hard times, but the true spirit of Ascendance has always been there. We could fluff it up and say Ascendance have done this, Ascendance were that, Ascendance has a pretty tabard, but honestly over the years Ascendance has changed a lot, but we are not going anywhere!
      We are currently looking for a number of dedicated, like minded players, who are Mythic progression focussed who enjoy all the content the game has to offer. We won't promise you the world, but we will promise this, pull your weight and you'll enjoy being part of Ascendance and you'll feel like one of the family.
      All of our current members are very passionate about the game, and our raiders look to push themselves with friendly competition to be top of their game.
      However; "No point being top of the meters, if you stand in the fire!"
      We already have a solid core of members who enjoy Warcraft and are looking to continue making strides in the existing content, Nighthold and beyond, our aim being to achieve success by working together as a Team.
      This is where YOU come in !!!
      Who are we looking for?
      DPS - High priority given to Shadow Priests, Boomkin, Mage, Demon Hunters and Rogues but we will consider all quality DPS applications Healers - Resto Shaman & Resto Druid When do we Raid?
      Progression Raid Nights: Wednesday and Sunday 20.00 - 23.00 (GMT+1) Standard Raid Night: Monday 20.00 - 23.00 (GMT+1) (this is for Heroic Gear Farming/Trials/Alts)
      Please note: Progression Raids Nights, may sometimes finish a little later if we are close to a new kill. What do we expect from our Raiders?
      High Attendance on Progression Raid Nights; this needs no further explanation. Be Prepared; This means having Consumables (Flasks, Pots, Food etc.), Your gear gemmed and enchanted were applicable. Voice Chat; Able to listen and communicate when required. Personality, Loyality, Commitment and of course to have Fun! Ascendance also has a very friendly group of social members who take part in other raids / events.
      If you are looking for a place to hang your hat, and would like to be part of the community then feel free to drop us an application noting a "social" app. You never know, you might want to Raid in future.
      Where to Apply
      If you want to be a part of Ascendance's future success, please complete an application on our website.
      Apply here www.ascendance.guildlaunch.com
      Alternatively, you can contact any of the Officers/Senior Members in Game for a chat.
      Nidromel Devout Sarmis Suigeneris Stokley Stormcaller - Stormcaller#2781
    • By Tiqqle
      Hi all!! 
      As many of you are probably aware, coming up in next patch Elemental Shaman (and mage, druid, priest) classes are getting their Animations re-done. They're all really awesome looking and when I was looking at videos I didnt see any that directly compared what 7.3 new animations looked like compared to 7.2.5 patch animations for Elemental..... So I made my own :). I wanted to share with everyone in case you're curious about it too!

Please let me know what you think and if you'd like to see this for the other classes with animation updates!
      Tiqqle
    • By Albrod
      Hi, im new in here. 
      I decided to share this build i made. It fun to play also it's great to do the achievement seasonal [Legendary].
      I want to hear some feedback if anyone can help to improve this build.
      I know isn't the best but i don't care just want to play something fun and useful.
      In a couple of hours i will be uploading a gameplay video.
      Click here to see this build on diablofans site.
      Rathma's court

Actually i make this with all the stuff i get until now on season game so could there be a better legendary to use or a better skill combinations and that's why i came here i want to improve it.

• By Broloo
      Did the first few bosses today for Tomb  and I cannot keep up with any dps in my guild. I feel useless beside being used for lust... <.< . I know I am messing up somewhere with my dps, but possibly my gear may be the issue as well. I know I am following mechanics well for this raid, but it is totally killing me. 
      Gear
      Logs
       Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
      Thank you