Supaserg

895 Assy Rogue DPS questions

Sign in to follow this  

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals. I'm fairly new to assassination, my rogue was originally a SUB rogue, for legion I changed to Outlaw, and finally Assassination. I've been raiding now with it for a good couple of months with my current spec, I've tried to follow the icy veins guide as close as I can, when it comes to BIS, rotation, etc.  I'm struggling to get the numbers, I'm supposed to be getting according to my gear level. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/fizzcrank/Atreyiu/simple

I am aware I don't have all my BIS, but I'm working on it. My guild is currently doing NH Heroic, and so far we are 6 bosses in. And most of the pieces I need are in the later bosses, so far we haven't been able to progress that far.

according to warcraftlogs, my dps is in the very low end of the spectrum. and I agree, there is another rogue in my guild that puts out almost 35% more dps than I do, and he is at 898 right now.

these are my logs

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/22393791/latest/

these are the logs for my guildee, that whoops my butt in dps every time (he is a really cool dude and has tried to help me, but because of his and my work schedule I only get to talk to him during raid times)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/17154275/latest/

Also my rotation for single target goes as follows: Garrote-mutilate-rupture(5point)--mutilate-mutilate(5point)-envenom-kingsbane--vendetta--garrote(keeping it up)-mutilate-mutilate-vanish-rupture---rinse and repeat.

So if you guys have any advice, on areas I could improve. I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Supaserg

Hello Supaserg. 895 Sin Rogue here working on Mythic Nighthold. You're absolute biggest problem that's the easiest to fix is your dot uptimes. Your only having rupture on the target for usually around 80% of the fight. Garrote is the same. These are both your biggest damage sources. You should be shooting for 98-100% uptime on both of these abilities. The thing that helped me the most increasing my uptime on the dots was creating weakauras that show how much time is left on the dot on the target. If you're unfamiliar with weakauras, I'd recommend a google guide or something. Also, with the shoulders, my opener is:

Stealth --> Garrote --> Mut --> Rupture --> Mut --> Envenom --> Kingsbane --> Vendetta --> Mut till 5 CP --> Vanish --> Rupture.

After that, it is very very important, that during vendetta and during kingsbane (which will be overlapped anyways), you have a 100% uptime on all dots and Surge of Toxins. I made a weak aura to track Surge of Toxins on the target too. Let it get to like 0.5 seconds left and then envenom again keeping that debuff on the target.

You take these tips into account and I guarantee your dps will jump at least 100k :). Have a good day fellow rogue, and happy raiding

• Like 1

I'm at work so I can't really do a deep dive, but one thing that sticks out is that your Rupture up-times are fairly low. Making sure Rupture is up should be a very high priority. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Supaserg said:

Hey guys and gals. I'm fairly new to assassination, my rogue was originally a SUB rogue, for legion I changed to Outlaw, and finally Assassination. I've been raiding now with it for a good couple of months with my current spec, I've tried to follow the icy veins guide as close as I can, when it comes to BIS, rotation, etc.  I'm struggling to get the numbers, I'm supposed to be getting according to my gear level. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/fizzcrank/Atreyiu/simple

I am aware I don't have all my BIS, but I'm working on it. My guild is currently doing NH Heroic, and so far we are 6 bosses in. And most of the pieces I need are in the later bosses, so far we haven't been able to progress that far.

according to warcraftlogs, my dps is in the very low end of the spectrum. and I agree, there is another rogue in my guild that puts out almost 35% more dps than I do, and he is at 898 right now.

these are my logs

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/22393791/latest/

these are the logs for my guildee, that whoops my butt in dps every time (he is a really cool dude and has tried to help me, but because of his and my work schedule I only get to talk to him during raid times)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/17154275/latest/

Also my rotation for single target goes as follows: Garrote-mutilate-rupture(5point)--mutilate-mutilate(5point)-envenom-kingsbane--vendetta--garrote(keeping it up)-mutilate-mutilate-vanish-rupture---rinse and repeat.

So if you guys have any advice, on areas I could improve. I would greatly appreciate it.

As others have mentioned, your bleed uptimes could use some work

Some other points: You aren't using Vanish to buff Rupture applications; you have 1 cast of it on an almost 7 minute Trilliax kill. Given that you have the Mantle legendary, it's absolutely critical for you to use Vanish properly.

Your gear isn't bad, either. You do have a lot of Haste, and your Crit and Mastery are a little low because of it, but neither one is lacking enough to be a major issue.

• Like 1

Guys thanks so much for the advice, I will re work my rotation, and make or find a weak aura that lets me keep track of all my dots. Thanks a bunch!!

2 hours ago, Supaserg said:

Guys thanks so much for the advice, I will re work my rotation, and make or find a weak aura that lets me keep track of all my dots. Thanks a bunch!!

For the dot tracking, you can make a WA yourself fairly easily that you can basically have an enlarged version of the dots that appear below your target which can make it much easier to keep track of. I believe it's under dots or debuffs, but it's very intuitive and only took me a few mins to put together. There is also an add on, https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/omni-cc, that is very useful at keeping track of dot time/cooldowns numerically. 

7 hours ago, Supaserg said:

There's weakauras posted here

It appears you are using a caster trinket as well.  This could cause a severe dip in your DPS because you are not getting any agility or real procs from trinket.  just some crit.  Along with Rupture uptime, I would also worry about Garrote uptime....like a poster before me said, use weak auras...I also use Elvui.  I put 2 bars (rupture, garrote) next to my action bar and can watch them easily to see when they dip.

For rupture and garrote (unless using while in stealth) you can re-up them within 6 seconds of them dropping off.  When rupturing and garroting from stealth, you should always let that last to the last drop.  Just plan accordingly so you can react immediately at 0 time left.

Try to line up your Kingsbane and Vendetta to be used at the same time.  If Kingsbane, Vendetta and Vanish are close to finishing their cooldowns, just wait for them all to finish and use them all at the same time...with the Shoulders your DPS should be monstrous.  

Also, invest in some Potion of the Old War...they are cheaper now that mats are halved.  And be sure to put Mark of Hidden Satyr on your neck piece.

Together they can give you about a 4-5% dps increase or more.