Lintbrush

Havoc LF DPS advice.

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm reaching out in hopes of identifying flaws/gaps in my Havoc play style that may be resulting in lower than expected DPS in ToS. Please see armory and log links below. I do my best to adhere to the Icy-Veins provided rotation, and my opening burst seems to be more than adequate for most pulls but the drop off is significant. I'm wondering if my movement is just too over the top/paying too much attention to mechanics or if it's more 'what I'm pressing when". I will also note I made the switch to DH about a month ago so it's still fairly fresh for me.

Some points I'll make in advance:

- I'm unsure if I should be holding my 2nd Chaos Blades & Nemesis until my 2nd Meta is available (seems like a waste)

- I have no 2nd DPS legendary options at this time.

- I'm considering obliterating the darkmoon card up to replace my 930 trinket.

- I do need to get more consistent with pre-pot and follow-up pot (is Old War still best pot?)

Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/illidan/lintbrush

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/25042042/13/

Any assistance provided is most appreciated. I believe my DPS is low for all bosses given my current gear so I'm concerned across the board.

Update 7/11: I swapped out the 930 versatility/AOE trinket I had on for my available logs with an Agi/Crit world quest 890 trinket and switched from Old War to Prolonged power for some H Kil'Jaeden pulls and my DPS seemed a bit more competitive. Still looking for advice!

Edited by Lintbrush

Former Havoc main here. So your gear definitely isn't an issue. Unless you know the fight has some sort of despawn on the main target (looking at you, Sisters), you should be using CB/Nemesis on CD and holding Meta for those to be ready, rather than the other way around, unless they're within 10 seconds of each other (allows for you to have some error with FotI cooldown). Otherwise you're losing out on 1 minute of 20% increased damage, with 18 seconds of that 1 minute being at 50% increased damage. For any fight where lust is on pull, Old War is going to be the best. Any time you're in Meta and lust is up you're going to want to be using Old War. I prefer Prolonged for stuff like Kil'jaeden on the entire fight, since you will be using meta on pull without lust, then having only CB/Nemesis for p2.

Looking at your highest dps on Goroth (since it's an easy fight to analyze because 0 mechanics):

Why did you wait to pop Meta? You should just prepot then cast meta on boss on pull. My opener is:

Pre-pot -> Meta -> CB/Nemesis -> Felblade+Arcane Torrent -> Death Sweep -> Fury of the Illidari -> Death sweep on cooldown/spam annihilation.

I can't stress enough how important the opener is as a Demon Hunter. DH is the single most frontloaded class in the game, so executing your Metamorphosis correctly is the most important part of playing a Havoc DH. Also, using Arcane Torrent on the pull allows you to get a fury spike to get the Annihilation spam going.

What I think might be hurting you is fury management. You're likely letting your fury get either too low or too high when you decide to use Felblade. Always remember that it generates 30 fury. Therefore, if you're at 110 fury or higher, don't use it. If you're at 40, you should probably use it. You're likely crunching Felblade procs by holding it too long as well. If you wait until you drop to 10 or less fury to use it, and Blade Dance/Death Sweep is on cooldown, you're going to be sitting there doing nothing instead of using Chaos Strike to potentially get some fury refunded, which is a 500k-1.2 mill damage loss every time it happens. Obviously, bad luck happens, but proper fury management goes a long way towards doing high DPS as a DH. In the same vein of thought for Arcane Torrent: don't use it when you're at 125 fury or higher, as you'll waste some fury generation. Generally, I don't Felblade if I'm above 90 fury though, as if I get 2 Demon Blades procs at the same time, I'm going to go over fury cap and waste some precious resource generation.

If you want to look at my logs/armory for proof (or to see what I do) that I know what I'm talking about, here's some links (RIP don't have much Mythic data because main swaps). Hope this helps!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/thrall/tracing

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/thrall/tracing

Edited by Tracing
  • Like 1

Hey Tracing,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I was unable to find the log where I had a delayed Meta pop but I imagine it was accidental. My intended opener is Pre-Pot -> Meta -> CB/Nem -> Felblade -> Arcane Torrent, Death Sweep, FOTI. I have had a few pulls where my CB/NEM macro doesn't seem to fire the abilities and it takes me a second to notice. These are definitely huge mistakes that I tend to notice on a case by case basis and am avoiding with more frequency as time goes.

Your emphasis on fury management has been really helpful. I reworked my UI to have my Fury bar be the 'centerpiece', so to speak. In turn I'm keeping a closer eye on felblade procs and using the cut offs you provided as a guide line which seems to be helping  a lot. I also picked up the T20 4 set which has smoothed out fury build/spend.

Overall focusing on my Fury management has yielded sound improvements but I still have some distance to go!

Can you offer any insight for the 'bad luck windows' with no crits/felblade procs? Do you fill with fel rush charges or is throw glaive the priority? At the moment I'm filling with throw glaive and reserving fel rush for AoE/mechanics.

So I'm an idiot and didn't see your reply, but I haven't been as active on the forums since these two posts. Just make your WAs (if you use them) really huge so you can tell. Usually they don't fire if you are spamming it because of the buffer time built into the game, or because of latency and the client getting spammed with multiple rapid actions. The bad luck windows never really go away, to be honest. They're something you just have to deal with, but if they're not in your burst windows usually it's not so bad. Fill with Fel Rush or Throw Glaive, whichever is at 2 stacks or about to hit 2 stacks. You have the right idea with those as the filler, just prioritize using FR if you know there isn't any AoE or mechanics coming up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FoxShine
      Hello! This is Fox from Velocity. We're a not-so-hardcore morning Mythic raiding guild on Sargeras. Currently 1/9M, 9/9H ToS. Last tier we reached 7/10M NH in the two months leading up to ToS. Now we'll be focusing on Mythic ToS progression. A fun fact about us, since were a morning guild we actually got 2 realm 1st's on Heroic. Worldwide our H Goroth kill was 15th, and Demonic Inquisition was 8th (according to wowprogress). Were looking for good and reliable players for our roster, mainly DPS, who can learn the fights quickly and attend our early raid times. 
      [A] <Velocity> 1/9M 9/9H (7/10M) - MORNING raid LFM
      Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs / Mon(Opt/Alt)[/quote]

Looking for:
      Currently Need
      Ranged - Mage, Ele Sham, Hunter, Warlock, Boomkin
      Melee - Rogue, Ret Pally, Warrior, Demon Hunter
      Would consider
      Healer - Resto Sham, Holy Pal, Disc Priest.
      Tank - Flex Bear
        Requirements: 
      Item Lvl:  915+/-
      Exp:  9/9H (Pref), 8/9H ok

*Specific classes are listed above as preference. However, any class is welcomed! We will consider anyone who is willing to join and can commit to our raid times, we may also make exceptions if you are under the requirements.

Expectations:
      We’re not super hardcore, we like having fun, but we do have high standards; so we expect our raiders to play their class well, come prepared, FOLLOW MECHANICS, have a sense of humor (or not) and adapt quickly. Prior Mythic raiding experience is a plus, though not necessary if you're a fast learner. 
      Due to our morning raid times, we encourage everybody to communicate about attendance via Calendar invites, Discord channels, or through tells with an officer. It’s important to know who will be available week-by-week so we can make arrangements for raid days. This is necessary to avoid setbacks and keep up with progression! We are very understanding when someone needs to post-out. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask is for a heads up!
        Perks: Feasts, Codex, Spirit Cauldrons, near-unlimited guild repairs, and the occasional gem or enchants. We run alt raids and Mythic+ 15s with each other each week. We're a tight-knit guild, who's always joking around and helping each other out. We also play other games together outside of WoW, like Overwatch, SC2, Heroes, Diablo, Dota2, LoL and whatever else.

Additional Info: The morning slot is kind of niche, so it’s important we find players who are dedicated and realistic with their schedules.
      Our Officers are veteran players who have experience raiding at high levels, as well as a majority of our core players. We want to uphold a certain level of standard, the point being that we can joke and have fun while getting stuff done.
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Leave a reply here, send us a tell on BNET or in game. Or be old school and send an in-game mail! Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon! =D

Fox#1713
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410
    • By Aachoo
      [Lightbringer][A] <Novus Sanctum> (9/9N 7/9H ToS) LF Melee/Ranged DPS
      Recruiting:
      Ranged DPS
      •    Shaman
      •    Mage
      •    Warlock
      •    Priest
      Melee DPS
      •    Warrior
      •    Rogue
      •    Death Knight
      •    Demon Hunter
      Raid Times (PST):
      •    Tuesday: 5:45 PM - 8:30 PM
      •    Thursday: 5:45 PM - 8:30 PM
      •    Saturday(fun raid): 5:45 PM - 8:30 PM
      Application:
      •   http://novuskiller.enjin.com/
      Please fill out the application if you are interested in joining. If you have any other
      questions or concerns, please contact Wiretwister#1209 on battle net, Melyssana, or Breebird
      About <Novus Sanctum>:
      9/9 N TOS : 7/9 H TOS
      We’re looking for a few good players to join our ranks so that we can push into Mythic
      Tomb of Sargeras as well as get ready for Argus raids.
      What you need:
      •    Be knowledgeable about your class—know: optimal talents, stats, gear, gems,
      enchants, rotation
      •    Pull 500k dps minimum
      •    Be ilvl 900
      •    Have the first point of Concordance of the Legionfall.
      •    Have the appropriate addons and keep them up to date (DBM, EPGP, Exorsus Raid
      Tools.)
      •    Have a positive and constructive attitude. 
      We expect all our raiders to come prepared before raid. This includes flask, pots, tomes,
      and being ON TIME.  
      Why should you join Novus Sanctum?
      We are not only a progression raiding guild, we are a friendly home for everyone who
      joins.  The atmosphere of the guild is friendly, helpful, supportive, and rewarding.  
      When it's time for business to be handled in raid, we do it, but we have fun at the same
      time.
      We regularly run dungeons, Mythic+, and even old content if we get the urge. To add a bit
      onto this, we're mainly worried about the points into your weapon. We can gear you up to
      where you need to be pretty quickly but we can't level your weapon for you. So, as long
      as your weapon is in a pretty good spot and your gear isn't 825, hit Aachoo or Melyssana
      up in game.
      We would rather bring players who are willing to learn and execute mechanics even if
      their DPS might be a bit lower than those who only care about the meters and nothing
      else.

If you have any questions, contact our raid lead Melyssana or recruiter Aachoo, or Breebird
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.

If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 920~ ilvl
      - 52+ traits.
      - 3/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made..
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Death Knight: Blood.
      Druid: Guardian and Balance.
      Hunter: MM/BM.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Rogue: Open.
      Warlock: Open.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By kyanuweebs
      Hello Hello!
      Our newly formed raiding guild "I Need Healing" is looking for people to fill our roster. We are respectful and nice to each other and raid in a relaxed environment, trying to be focussed at all times.
      Currently we are looking for RDPS a Healer and a rogue. Our progression is ToS 7/9 HC.As soon as we are finished with ToS HC we will move onward with Mythic Content, thats why we need people who want to progress and show activity!
      The progression raid days are Monday / Thursday / Sunday at 8PM server time. We raid to 11PM sometimes to 12PM if everyone is able. We also host ToS Normal and NH HC at different occasions.
      The requirements are as followed: decent iLvl for HC (around 910), knowledge about your class and preferably raiding experience. Patience and the will to progress is mandatory! If you wish to join or have more questions about the guild you can /w Hwip , Thepapajohn , Ghostpepper or Leggings.