Venekus

Haste vs. iLvl (Blood DK)

11 posts in this topic

Hello again,

So today I looted a ring in the Mythic+ weekly chest, awful stats but great iLvl improvement (885->920). So the question is: at what point is it sane to sacrifice +4% in Haste to get ~100k more HP?

Thanks.

Stats885Ring.PNG

Stats920Ring.PNG

Not really, 100k health is nothing, boss farts at you and its gone, a pack of trash give you a hug and its gone. 

With rings and necks, ignore the ilvl (to a point) and concentrate on the stats. 

Now, dont equip a 820 ring with ideal stats and ignore a 920 crappy stats one either. Its a bit of a balancing act but with the crafted gear going now to 900, its worth a look to see if you have spare bloods and obliterium and the patience to trawl the AH for the ideal one for you. 

4% haste is huge. 

I would agree here that your haste is dropping too low with the new ring (your versatility seems awfully high aswell), however don't understimate mastery, i would probably even call it your best stat for pure survivability after 30% haste. Mastery got a lot better with the new traits. 

Edited by Vacivity

It's an enormous loss to give up 4% haste for 2 ilvl, while you already lack a bit of haste (you want to go for 28/30%).

Mastery is not good. Not as much as versatility or crits anyway, but don't go for 0 either, 3/4k should be enough.

So, I am new to tanking and am having trouble finding out where my numbers should be. I am currently at:  26% Critical Strike; 20% Haste; 42% Mastery; and 9% Versatility (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/proudmoore/ordenrahl). I would appreciate any help anyone is able to give. I believe my Mastery is WAY high, but not sure how to change it at this point other than gemming/enchanting other stats onto the current gear. When I have a new a gear option, I am taking Stamina stats first, and then aiming to get my haste up. I am a little worried about my Versatility being so low, and my Dodge as well. My Parry I think is okay, but that is due to the high crit. Any help would be appreciated. I also am using the Ask Mr. Robot Client for help in game, but it keeps stacking Mastery and Versatility, so I am not entirely sure that it is set right (or at least, that I am using it correctly). I use Icy Veins as I can to set up, etc., but I am not aware of anything I can use in game to help. I also am using Pawn now, but not sure how to set that up for Tank, as it keeps telling me that stuff with Mastery is an upgrade to things with Haste, even though my Mastery is so stupid high. Any help on where I can go to work on this or help Sim/Parse (not sure what that will do to help) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Hi Kelewan

Welcome to the forums. Firstly, delete Pawn, there are no strings for tanks.  

Depending on your gear, the stats will follow. What content are you aiming to do? 5 man? raid tanking  or a mix? Stats to aime for, 30% haste without bone shield, hard to get but somethwere to aim for, anything after 25% is a good start. 

Mastery is very weak but if its on your gear there is not much you can do about it for now. Aim for haste/versa gear and if you have spare bloods, you can always buy crafted gear and level it to 900 to fill difficult slots. 

Dont chase stamina,  if your goint to use ARM ,?the haste heavy setting and some common sense too. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shells said:

Hi Kelewan

Welcome to the forums. Firstly, delete Pawn, there are no strings for tanks.  

Depending on your gear, the stats will follow. What content are you aiming to do? 5 man? raid tanking  or a mix? Stats to aime for, 30% haste without bone shield, hard to get but somethwere to aim for, anything after 25% is a good start. 

Mastery is very weak but if its on your gear there is not much you can do about it for now. Aim for haste/versa gear and if you have spare bloods, you can always buy crafted gear and level it to 900 to fill difficult slots. 

Dont chase stamina,  if your goint to use ARM ,?the haste heavy setting and some common sense too. 

Thank you for the welcome. I have been using IV for awhile now to get basic info on my toons, and how best to use them, and am glad to be able to participate now. :)

I am trying to decide between a Frost or Unholy off-spec, so once I get that up and going, I think Pawn may go, but for now, I am ignoring it for my Blood spec.

For content, I feel like M+, and H or M ToS (or any raids actually) would be fine. At least for this toon. I am close to the 25% with the current set up, so that take some of the worry off my mind. :)

This toon is a BS, so I just started making some DemonSteel stuff for the 880 or lower items he has. Now that I know which versions to look for, that will help, so thanks again for that. :)

I chase the stamina, because one of the guild BDK's was telling me that some of our "spells" and rotations get buffed by our Stamina, so I was giving that priority, I will work on that now too.

I appreciate the help, I look forward to coming back to tell you how this is working out for me.

Buffed by stamina?

Not sure about that, DS used to heal for a portion of your health but now its % of the damage in the last 5 seconds or at a min, 10% of your health.   Maybe thats what they were on about?

Trinket wise, get yourself a Darkmoon card Immortality, its the BIS for physical damage for you and even at 900 its better than some of the current raid trinkets. then a good haste/str stick and your laughing. 

• Like 1

"A good Haste/Str stick"? I have the fully open Apocalypse (and am working on finishing off my Blades of the Fallen Prince so I can go back to adding more artifact power to Apocalypse), so not sure if you mean I should replace that? I have been playing since BC, but still am not caught up on all the lingo I guess. :( Perks of being 45 and having to play around work, school, etc. I guess. ;) (edit 08/11/2017: I mean fully open Maw. Keep confusing my dang artifacts.)

Edited by Kelewan
Misidentification of artifact weapon.
  • Like 1

Kelewan,

With the "good Haste/Str stick" he was referring to a trinket to pair with DMD: Immortality. It's lingo for a trinket with no effect but pure Strength and Haste stats (like the ones you can get from World Quests or Chains of the ValorousChains of the Valorous from Odyn in Trial of Valor).

Be careful, though. These trinkets tend to come with Strength + a random stat, so it might be a long time before you get a decent one with Haste.

I find Leviathan's HungerLeviathan's Hunger as a good option for the Haste it gives + a nice healing effect you can pair with Icebound Fortitude and Vampiric Blood to get yourself up and hold on a little longer.

Edited by Venekus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LH sucks compared to goroth's trinket defense wise, and sucks compared to CoA dps/stick-wise. I'd advise you to focus on getting your 11/12k haste from your stuff, to use better trinkets :).

LH is still good, don't get me wrong, but its versatility is imo a weakness rather than a strength.