FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  

Arena Rewards Changed?

It seems like the chances for getting a card have been drastically increased:

In my last 30 arena runs (that is around 6 - 8 weeks) I got 21 times a (mostly useless) card:

(That is 70%)

12 x common non golden (=5 dust, that is next to getting absolutly nothing)

5 x common golden (= 40 dust)

2 x rare non golden (=20 dust)

1 x rare non golden (= 100 dust)

1 x epic non golden (=100 dust)

compared to the 70 games before wich gave me 25 times a card

(Which is 35% -> only the half!)

15 x common non golden

3 x common golden

2 x rare non golden

3 x rare golden

2 x epic

This seems like a drastically increased "drop rate" of the useless cards.

This way arena has become shockingly less lucarative.

My last 9 win game e.g. gave me 1 pack, 150 gold, 1 x non golden common, 1 x golden common = 250 gold + 25 dust.

Which is a bad joke.

If it is just bad luck - ok, then it will hopefull change back.

But if the rewards stay this way arena has become a very bad decision for the big majority of all players.

Only by getting  5 wins you manage to net a profit.

How many arena players get an average of 5+ wins?

Before the change (if there was a change!) you needed to get to 3 wins to be even and have a very small profit. With 4 wins you had a profit. Which was fair imo.

What are your experiences with arena in the last weeks?

@WedgeAntilles watching your Arena numbers makes me wanna sit down and cry...!

9 Wins?Really?Never ever seen more than 5!Anyway, my last 5 runs have been extremely poor,not even worth mentioning but i will keep an eye on my stats to let you people know what's going on.

46 minutes ago, Karayan7 said:

@WedgeAntilles watching your Arena numbers makes me wanna sit down and cry...!

9 Wins?Really?Never ever seen more than 5!Anyway, my last 5 runs have been extremely poor,not even worth mentioning but i will keep an eye on my stats to let you people know what's going on.

Well, it was 8 wins (+1 free win) - and I don't have an average of 8 or 9 wins obviously.

I choose the 9 win as an example because 9 wins usually give a very good reward. Between 8 wins and 9 wins is quite a high reward increase (between 6 wins and 7 wins too).

Tip for arena: Compared to ladder games you have to go face way more often. You need to get a feeling when your board is stronger, but you will probably loose in the long run. And with time you will get a feeling when your board should be enough to finish the opponent. It takes quite some time, because it isn't something you are used to from ladder games. But keep in mind: In arena players often have less healing options, no Reno Jackson and things like that. They often lack board clears, hard removes and things like that.

Yesterday I got 7(+1), 6(+1), 9(+1), 4(+1) and 2(+1), and they have given me really bad rewards indeed. Got a non-golden common in three runs and low amount of gold. So yeah, arena rewards seem to have gotten worse, though I had thought that I was just really unlucky. Maybe we are just both really unlucky :(

Oh thank god!

And I hope they reduced the range of possible rewards.

Example:

12 wins give you fixed:

1 x Card Pack

215-235 Gold

-> That is just a 20 gold range. No problem.

But then:

3 Random: 25-185 Gold, 1 x Golden / Regular Common, Rare, Epic or Legendary card OR 1 x Card Pack

If you get gold, there is a range of 25 - 185. And I ALWAYS manage to get at least once 25, 30 or 35 gold.

In every 12 win streak I got until now. Maybe there is a way higher chance to get 25 gold then 185 gold, I don't know.

But it is annoying as hell if you klick on the reward and HEY, it is 25 gold AGAIN.

If they reduced the range to let's say 85 - 125 that would be great!

The range with 9 wins is 20 - 120, that is way too much too IMO.

IMO you should feel rewarded after you opened your rewards - and not cheated...

I am definitly very grateful that they got rid of the 5 dust "reward", that is way more important then the 9 or 11 or 12 win fix (you don't get them too often). And maybe they even changed that, then I'll be really happy.

But even if not, a big thanks from my part!

My last run was 11-3 and I got 530 Gold and a pack. I personally like getting the golden cards but that's just me. 

7 hours ago, KingMe said:

My last run was 11-3 and I got 530 Gold and a pack. I personally like getting the golden cards but that's just me. 

I love golden cards, but getting non-golden commons and rares is just annoying and a waste of a reward slot. I would be happy if they were removed altogether.

18 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

I love golden cards, but getting non-golden commons and rares is just annoying and a waste of a reward slot. I would be happy if they were removed altogether.

Yeah it does feel crappy to get a deck to 10+ wins and walk away with a pack, some gold and a Non-Golden card. A Golden Wisp is better than a Non-Golden Wisp. ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingMe said:

Wuha, nice reward. My 12 wins yesterday yielded 250 gold, 2 packs, 1 golden rare. :(

50 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Wuha, nice reward. My 12 wins yesterday yielded 250 gold, 2 packs, 1 golden rare. :(

That's not bad. I'm happy about the gold because it helped me hit my 10k goal before the new release. 

The rang has not been reduced (sadly)

Again 12 wins, and again a crappy reward:

1 x 220 gold

1 x 25 gold

1 x pack unguro

1 x pack frost throne

1 x common golden card

Like I said, I manage to ALWAYS get one pack with 25 or at most 30 gold.

And the next to worthless card was the icing on the cake

That realy sucks.

It is still possible to get a common non golden card.

Just had 2 wins (with one of the worst drafted decks ever...) and got Hot Spring Guardian + 1 pack.

Maybe a bug, I opened a ticket and keep you updated.

11 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

It is still possible to get a common non golden card.

Just had 2 wins (with one of the worst drafted decks ever...) and got Hot Spring Guardian + 1 pack.

Maybe a bug, I opened a ticket and keep you updated.

I believe they said that you will not be getting non-gold commons after 3 wins.

It seems you are right.

"According to a post by Ben Brode on twitter, the patch notes were incomplete. The removal of non-golden common cards only applies to arena runs with three or more wins."

Not a good decision IMO. As I feared Arena seems to be a very bad decision for every new player or for players who don't play that good.

Without getting to at least 5+ wins average (with regularly 7+ wins) arena is just a waste of gold.

6 wins give you an average of 30 gold gain and most of the times 20 dust.

if you get 2 wins you loose 50 gold and gain 5 dust, if you are lucky you loose only 20 gold or something like that.

And that example would even be an average of 4 wins - which is quite good actually. And even then you have a high chance to loose gold.

I had the feeling they wanted to push and promote arena? Or is the true goal that players will loose some of there gold, then buying more packs with real money?

2 month ago you could even get a little profit with an average win of 3, with 4 wins you definitly earned (in average) some gold. That felt quite rewarding and was a great part in Hearthstone.

And let's go a little further. Fact is, if you consider all players there can only be an average win ratio of 3 (a little below even).

If more and more players who get around 2 wins realize that they now loose quite substantial amounts of gold in average, there is a chance that more and more of them will quit.

Which will lead to a drop of the average wins from the players who achieve 4+ wins.

Which will lead to some of them not making a profit any longer but loosing as well. -> Even more players will quit playing arena.

And at the very end, even the players who now get 7+ wins in average (the best of the best) will be among themselve -> leading to an average win ratio of 3. Making it no longer profitable.

Sure, it will never happen this radically.

But a decline of arena seems quite a possibility.

Personally I'll stop playing arena if I realize I am no longer able to earn something. And since arena is more then 75% of my playtime in Hearthstone it will lead to a drastically reduction.

I finally won my first game in an arena run today and was super excited, only to get a non-golden common and one card pack. That's worse than I usually do when I go 0-3. Very disappointing...