FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Akraen

[Frost] Akraen's Comprehensive Guide to 5.4 Frost PvE (Advanced)

In LFR/Flex gear most of this guide won't really apply to you. Your best bet is going to be going for the 9522 haste breakpoint and then stacking mastery. Crit is also viable at higher ilvl's, but I'm not sure how well crit translates to lower ilvl's. honestly the biggest thing as a new mage is focusing on your rotation. You'll gain or lose far more dps from your rotation than you will from how your gear is reforged. 

So 9522 breakpoint then mastery - OK. Well don't really know my rotation as it wasn't used in leveling much - I mob and used mass AOE to kill fast and level fast. So I was hoping for that kind of breakdown. What my opener should look like and etc..

Zildijana beat me to it. Start with the basic Icy-Veins mage guide. Once you're comfortable with the basic rotation, and start getting some better gear, then come back here and Akraen's guide will help you take it to the next level.

Akraen's guide is more of a guide for people already doing 350k dps that want to learn how to push it to 400k and beyond. The Icy-veins class guide will help you learn the class well enough to do flex and normal raids.

I read this guide - all it seems to say which build base on if you can reach certain haste points, Nothing regarding what rotation you should be, and really nothing regarding gear (unless you take the AMR he posted on page 3). 

You mention basic rotation, so unless I am missed it I didn't see anywhere he mentions a advance rotation. That is what I want, forget taking it slow, I am a fast learner and prefer to know the real rotation and master it as it be more helpful in the end.

Edited by Nytemare

I read this guide - all it seems to say which build base on if you can reach certain haste points, Nothing regarding what rotation you should be, and really nothing regarding gear (unless you take the AMR he posted on page 3). 

You mention basic rotation, so unless I am missed it I didn't see anywhere he mentions a advance rotation. That is what I want, forget taking it slow, I fast learner and prefer to know the real rotation and mastery it as it be more helpful in the end.

The rotation doesn't change. And there's a gear guide right below the main guide.

Edited by Akraen

The rotation doesn't change. And there's a gear guide right below the main guide.

Ok rotation doesn't change got it? regarding gear not what I was looking for. Sure it helps but really just says what trinkets you should have base off haste you can reach. Like if I read it right and I go and do Ordos and get 2 items, I then want to use just 2pc set (from cel if they not greedy and drop them for me), and of course I was PBI, really only thing I see is KTT vs PBOY and which to take.

I was looking for more of a gear item, like rings and non tier items. But I just use AMR Max Mastery one he posted on page 3 - I just aim for the lfr/flex version of those items. While making sure I keep a 9552 haste breakpoint. 

Thanks for the help guys.

It is all about using the procs at the right time, watching buffs from trinkets enchants cloak, snapping the bombs. That is the advance "playstyle" but it will all get really natural when you got 100% of the rotation

read the guide again and you'll see why and when to use KTT>PBOY =) first page here

I use the addon ExtraCD so I enable it now that I am 90 and be using it to know when trinkets about to proc - yeah read that to reapply LB anytime a proc happens, and to put it up before using Evocation to reapply its buff.

Why Invocation over Rune of Power - ROP is faster cast, and does the same thing. One good for heavy movement fights, but not many of them in SoO. 

Edited by Nytemare

Were just having this conversation in IRC funnily enough :>

It's up to you what you want to use. If you only cast RoP once during the 1 minute and never move out it basically gives you one more gcd/minuteover using Invo. If you move out though or cast twice it's worse. Most people prefer invo and like using the same lvl 90 talent all the time so just roll invo. Also frost is a mobile spec. Why gimp yourself with RoP?

Also quick edit cuz I missed your question above about advanced rotations. Well the only thing that gets harder as frost with gear is reactions to procs really. The rest is just knowing the DPET of every single spell to know how to maximize every GCD with your gear. At 14242 and 80% buffed mastery you can stop casting ice lance during meta. But that needs super high gear lvl (im 579 and only just got there) and the difference is negligible. 

Edited by durrtygoodz

So seems only problem I am facing is keeping up with LB + BF procs + FOF charges. When both FOF and BF are procing like crazy and lb needs refreshing, I find my self having hard time keeping up and using up the BF procs and not wasting FoF charges. 

If they allow people to be rdy before pull, I got down the opener with AT. After that when I struggle to keep up. I had LB proc non stop making it hard to use BF procs and get next one off before another proc happens. 

Blizz should really removed FFB from GCD when under BF. Any tips you guys got to help me keep up with it all and not wast them? 

For dps I manage to top off between 62-72K in 497 gear (mostly non-burden timeless gear)

Idk man, even playing with 18960/19430 haste Im able to have 0 proc wastage on single target. I guess it just comes down to practice. LB ticks quite slowly especially in your gear level so even if you get back to back procs, there's plenty of time between them to fire them off.

Idk man, even playing with 18960/19430 haste Im able to have 0 proc wastage on single target. I guess it just comes down to practice. LB ticks quite slowly especially in your gear level so even if you get back to back procs, there's plenty of time between them to fire them off.

Just seems like I getting them super fast - and always seem to be behind - having 2x FoF and BF up - so I aim for FoF 1st then hit FFB but I feel doing that chance overlap of BF proc, and doing other way chances waste of FoF charge

With what I have I can currently hit 9522 breakpoint - here is what I have after AMR optimized my BIB

Total Score

Time (ms)

Average ILvl

Intellect

Stamina

Mastery
46.21%

Spell Power
Spell Hit (?)
15.10%

Crit (?)
14.22%

Haste
37.65%
Edited by Nytemare

Just seems like I getting them super fast - and always seem to be behind - having 2x FoF and BF up - so I aim for FoF 1st then hit FFB but I feel doing that chance overlap of BF proc, and doing other way chances waste of FoF charge

You need to use FoF as soon as it comes up, the only time where you should ever get overloaded with procs is during orb on multiple targets or during flat AoE where you are using AoE spells instead of procs. 

You need to use FoF as soon as it comes up, the only time where you should ever get overloaded with procs is during orb on multiple targets or during flat AoE where you are using AoE spells instead of procs. 

Oh? 

1. Single Target Rotation↑top

The rotation of a Frost Mage consists in the following priority list.

1. Apply and refresh wow_icon_ability_mage_livingbomb.jpg Living Bomb.
    • When you have a large damage-increasing proc (trinkets, weapon enchants, etc.), refresh it right away, otherwise refresh it after it explodes.
  2. Cast wow_icon_spell_frost_frozenorb.jpg Frozen Orb on cooldown (unless you want to save it for an upcoming AoE phase).
  3. Cast wow_icon_spell_frost_frostnova.jpg Freeze from your Water Elemental.
    • Bosses are immune to Freeze, so only cast it if there are adds you can root. Doing so will give you 1 charge of wow_icon_ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpg Fingers of Frost (2 if it hits more than 1 enemy).
  4. Cast wow_icon_spell_frost_frostblast.jpg Ice Lance when you have 2 charges of wow_icon_ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpg Fingers of Frost.
  5. Cast wow_icon_ability_mage_frostfirebolt.jpg Frostfire Bolt as soon as wow_icon_ability_mage_brainfreeze.jpg Brain Freeze procs.
  6. Cast wow_icon_spell_frost_frostblast.jpg Ice Lance when you have 1 charge of wow_icon_ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpg Fingers of Frost.
  7. Cast wow_icon_spell_frost_frostbolt02.jpg Frostbolt as a filler spell.

Ah I see miss read it, before I even start to use frostbolt (beside the per cast) - I make sure I don't need to do LB, FO, consume BF proc and don't have any FoF charges. Got it.

I been refreshing LB with when any of these proc (Tailoring cloak, and Yu'lon bite) do only want to refresh it for cloak? I don't do it on Jade Spirit but should I?

Also does the bomb only explode if I let it fall off or target dies, but not when I refresh it right?

Edited by Nytemare

I only refresh bomb on meta and even then there are more variables involved in decided whether I do it or not. Cloak proc/wep enchant are too small to even care about. LB can be refreshed after the last tick happens but before expiry and it will still explode.

You said on meta with lots of variables - I am assuming if both trinket proc, meta you refresh it. 

Is the last tick always when it has less then 3 sec left?

Also do you use stopcasting macro for like Ice lance and FFB to stop your cast when they proc to instant use them as they are higher in the list?

Edited by Nytemare

Hi All, 

First of all, thank you so much for the guide and all your posts here.  I started reading Icy Veins today again, to see why am I doing less DPS than other Frost Mage on my ILVL was doing. 

So first of all, I didn't know about the 14242 haste breakpoint, and I reforged and Gemmed for that, but now I am really not sure if my building is ok, I have been using AMR and just doing whatever it said, until I read your awesome guide.

So question one is can you guys take a look at my build and let me know if it makes sense even though AMR says something Different?

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/burning_blade/jadz

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-blade/Jadz/simple

My second question, is about macros, I have been using this macro, but I think it does not always work ok, sometimes It doesn't cast Alter Time.  So I am not really sure it is such a great idea to be using it.   I wait to use it until i have my 3 procs up.

#showtooltip Mirror Image
/castsequence
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Alter Time
/cast Mirror Image

Any advice would be really appreciate it!!!  I have been reading all posts and I learned a lot already.

Also, do you guys use any cool mage addon? 

Thanks!

Sorry, amr did not work on my phone. But macro... I do not macro all those together since you want to use mirror image befor pull. It is a minor dis increaser. Also i don't bind ice veins and at together because you want to use IV to get your proccs faster and then cast AT. My only macro for that is cast icy veins cast frost bolt. Are you sure you are doing to opener right? Might help you in the day race :-)

• Like 1

I rely really heavily on Weak Auras to show my procs and track my bombs and buffs. If you play fire i suppose you should also use CombustionHelper.

Hi All, 

First of all, thank you so much for the guide and all your posts here.  I started reading Icy Veins today again, to see why am I doing less DPS than other Frost Mage on my ILVL was doing. 

So first of all, I didn't know about the 14242 haste breakpoint, and I reforged and Gemmed for that, but now I am really not sure if my building is ok, I have been using AMR and just doing whatever it said, until I read your awesome guide.

So question one is can you guys take a look at my build and let me know if it makes sense even though AMR says something Different?

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/burning_blade/jadz

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/burning-blade/Jadz/simple

My second question, is about macros, I have been using this macro, but I think it does not always work ok, sometimes It doesn't cast Alter Time.  So I am not really sure it is such a great idea to be using it.   I wait to use it until i have my 3 procs up.

#showtooltip Mirror Image
/castsequence
/cast Icy Veins
/cast Alter Time
/cast Mirror Image

Any advice would be really appreciate it!!!  I have been reading all posts and I learned a lot already.

Thanks!

About macro: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5231-faq-for-mages-snapshotting-macros-all-specs/#forum-anchor-13

Addition: Use Mirror Image during the opener, not while IV is up. Every GCD not spend on Frost Bolts, FoF Ice Lances and BF FFB during IV is a DPS waste.

Make sure you use the stat weights in AMR provided by Akraen in the guide and you should be fine.

Addons: WeakAuras, CombustionHelper, some sort of addon that shows when your CDs are ready, a cast bar addon that shows if you are laging or something.

This should summerize.

• Like 1

Would herb be a good profession for Frost mage? I already have an eng and with the changes coming in WoD not really looking to make another one.

Also what about other profession like JC, Achly, etc.. need to get her a 2nd profession. Also what ally race makes a good frost mage? right now I am worgen but that was back when I wanted to be fire which I don't now.

I got tailor and enchanting. I don't know if it is the best, but I get them enchants on the rings and cheaper legg enchants. Maybe jewel crafter for better gems? Herb is good for the haste buff... Well I didn't put to much thought into mine but I am happy with them.

As it goes for ally class I find panda the best because of the food buff. Worgen for the crit ain't a bad choice but went from gnome to panda only for the food:-P

Herb is on use haste and frost mage definitely doesn't need more of that. BiS professions are tailor and engi but Blacksmith is good too. All ally racials are equally shit. May as well just stay worgen.

• Like 1

Herb is on use haste and frost mage definitely doesn't need more of that. BiS professions are tailor and engi but Blacksmith is good too. All ally racials are equally shit. May as well just stay worgen.

As an addition, I really love human's every men for himself racial. Get out of stuns for a cost of 1 GCD (and if Blink is on CD/glyphed)