FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Crafter's Spotlight: Djarii, Makeup Artist

VN7cmtT.jpg

In our new "Crafter's Spotlight" series, we'll be looking at Blizzard game community members that have gone above and beyond with their contributions to the community and left a mark of their own. Whether it's cosplay, fan art, machinimas, we'll try to find the most interesting content creators and have a chat with them about their work. We've talked to some in the past and thought we'd make the series official and focus on it bit more.

Today we're starting off with Djarii, who started out as a regular streamer and quickly became one of the foremost cosplay/bodypaint streamers out there.

Icy Veins — First things first, how did you get your start in the streaming world? Which games or activities made you think and believe this was something you could do and have fun with?

Djarii  I got started streaming on recommendation from a friend, joined by my co-op companion Hamoth, we thought it would be a fun thing to do and we could use the footage to make more funny videos on his YouTube channel /hamoth. Never did I expect I would be streaming full time, or that I would even have any successes!

Icy VeinsWas there a point in your early streaming days, something specific that happened that made you think that, yes, this was something you could do full-time?

Djarii  When I had around 5000 followers on Twitch, I was invited to the Twitch partner program. That gave me the hope to try and pursue this full time.

Icy VeinsWhen did you start with your bodypainting/makeup art, was there any special event or something that inspired you to try it out)?

Djarii  I started bodypainting around 1 year ago, I was really inspired by the deep run in the NYX Face Awards, and other bodypainting personalities on Twitch.

Icy VeinsYour first big makeup piece was the Nyx Face Awards Northern Lights look. Was this your first (on or off-screen) big project? And if so how did you feel about it while doing it, did it seem like something you’d do more often/as one of your main activities back then as well?

Djarii  I never considered makeup a main activity back then, I enjoyed it, but it was just daily routine back then. The Face Awards really pushed my creativity.

Icy VeinsWhat made you begin doing your makeup sessions on the stream itself, presumably you’d done the process off-stream before, but was there any particular reason you decided to share the process live with your viewers?

Djarii  The only makeup sessions I did off Twitch were to do with the Face Awards, otherwise I basically started my journey on Twitch. I love to share everything I do with my community, so even our first rubbish face paints were live.

Icy VeinsYou then went on to some more mainstream pop-culture stuff, starting with the Night King from Game of Thrones. How do you choose pieces like this, does inspiration just grab you when you see something, or is it more down to what you can execute well? Have you ever had a project you went for that didn’t quite turn out good enough to show?

Djarii  I generally do looks based off things I enjoy. Game of Thrones, World of Warcraft, they're not chosen for their popularity, but by how attached I am to their franchises. I've done tons of projects that were crap and got scrapped!

85sXPim.jpg

Icy VeinsAnd on to what we really like to see, aka WoW/Blizzard related pieces! Starting with your Demon Hunter, you really went full out with the Night Elf purple with great results.

Icy VeinsDo you enjoy these WoW/Blizzard related projects more or is it down to the individual piece?

Djarii  I prefer WoW projects because I feel painfully attached to the Warcraft universe. The characters mean something to me on a personal level and that excites me to want to present them well.

zhzHzGH.jpg 

Icy VeinsYou took two stabs at female Deathwing, what made you want to improve on your initial work?

Djarii  I want to re-do a lot of the looks honestly, because I am a fast learner when it comes to creative projects. Once I have done it once, I can think of a million ways to improve it, Deathwing was at the front of the list because I learned a lot during it.

Icy VeinsWhich one would you say is your favorite from the WoW ones? Both in terms of the one you think came out looking the best and a personal favorite?

Djarii  My favourite WoW bodypaint is probably Whitemane because she's one of the full cospaints I had done which was in  collaboration with a friend (and viewer!). I also love the paint work on the reworked Deathwing. I was proud of that.

Djarii also sometimes just picks a theme and goes with like, like these impressive esports team pieces:

2eD8pnj.jpg   f1Hcq3G.jpg

Icy VeinsYour Maya piece from borderlands 2 turned out particularly well. These other game pieces, do you actually play the games and get inspired that way, or is it the look of a specific character that pulls you in?

Djarii  Maya turned out well? Pfah. Mad Moxxi turned out well in my opinion, much more so than Maya! I play the games, and I'm inspired by my love for them.

1lXg6xP.jpg   3cM8oN5.jpg

Icy VeinsIf you had to pick one, which of your pieces would you choose to represent your body of work?

Djarii  It would be hard to choose one image to represent my work. I love Mad Moxxi because she demonstrates bodypaint skill and understanding, but the Night King shows proficiency in SFX, whilst Disco Glam is more avant garde, editorial makeup. Every single project teaches me about the process, so even if I don't share those looks anywhere, I carry a part of them with me.

Icy VeinsIs there anything you’d like to try but is too complex or you just don’t have handle on it yet that, (like a dream cosplay, if you will?

Djarii  Kerrigan - Queen of Blades is my dream bodypaint. I am still wracking my brain on how to present that the best way, perhaps in a few years! ;)

Thanks a lot to Djarii for the chat, and you can find more of her work over on her youtube channel, her makeup YT channel, instagram and twitch for the live versions, or you can follow her on twitter or facebook for even more updates!

• Thanks 1

Such a talented skilled quirky young lady, love all her work off stream and on stream, can't wait to see what she will come out with next