Stan

Free Pack Day: Jun 13 + Animated Short

12 posts in this topic

X3UMGNIJ12Z21526952018132.jpg

Free Card Pack Day is coming! Mark your calendars for Wednesday, June 13 and don't forget to log in to claim your own Golden Classic Pack.

Blizzard LogoBlizzard (Source)

There’s really nothing quite like the feeling of busting open a new pack of Hearthstone cards. The anticipation! The glorious display of light and color as cards burst forth! And, of course, the thrilling promise of that elusive orange glow as each one is revealed!

Join Ava as she discovers how the patrons of the Tavern experience the delights of New Pack Day!

You can open a new pack soon, too, because Free Pack Day is coming!

Log in on June 13 to claim your own Golden Classic Pack full of all-golden cards.

NewPackDay_body.png

Each of the Tavern’s regulars has a little pack opening ritual of their own. What’s yours?

• Like 4

I am hoping for a pack full of rare or better, for all the dust potential and to finally make a viable Tier 1 deck.

My ritual opening packs include a few candles, symbols, and a prayer to the elder gods. Skipped it once and got Millhouse. Not risking that again.

• Haha 4

When will Blizzard fucking starting doing full animated movies to compete with Pixar and Dreamworks? I'd watch a Hearthstone movie ANY DAY. It is adorable.

Also, that Murloc reminded me very much of Toothless from "How to Train Your Dragon".

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

Even though I am eager to open my golden pack, am I the only one thinking they promote this like a miracle is happening?

The majority (on average) will just end up getting 300 dust out of it which isn't even enough to craft an epic or getting cards they could use but since they are golden they don't know keep it or disenchant it to get dust for something they want more.

I don't want to complain about getting a free golden pack, i really like it, it's just that the promotion feels a bit to huge for what it is.

But ofc there will be a few lucky dudes opening this pack with 2 legends and at least 1 epic in it ^^

• Like 1

I've got a feeling I'm going to be like that Belf... Got it... Got it... Got it...

Just a note:

Cards are first drawn as regular and then upgraded to golden. So, if you have the full classic collection, you can target a specific golden legendary by basically disenchanting the regular version, since that is the only legendary you can get due to the no dupes allowed rule. 

Note that this is a risk because you may NOT actually get any legendary from the pack. But if you target a card that you do not use that often, it may be worth it, since you will eventually get it again in a few months just from brawl and quest classic pack rewards.

Also, if you are willing to spend money, opening > 20 packs (without a legendary) will, again, increase you chance of getting a legendary from the pack due to the pity timer, which then will be upgraded to golden. However, this again doesn't guarantee a legendary and is a risk.

Edited by ionix

the last 10 packs were only 1 rare each time, so i hope It's at least a golden epic...

They can just give the 300 dust right away so I don't even bother opening the pack.

Not even enough to craft a purple card but we all already know that words Blizzard and generosity are the opposite.

Yeah we should thank them that the pack is golden and not normal so we get 300 instead of the usual 40.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:45 PM, Caldyrvan said:

Even though I am eager to open my golden pack, am I the only one thinking they promote this like a miracle is happening?

The majority (on average) will just end up getting 300 dust out of it which isn't even enough to craft an epic or getting cards they could use but since they are golden they don't know keep it or disenchant it to get dust for something they want more.

I don't want to complain about getting a free golden pack, i really like it, it's just that the promotion feels a bit to huge for what it is.

But ofc there will be a few lucky dudes opening this pack with 2 legends and at least 1 epic in it ^^

"Steady compulsion looping

No random microtransaction system can be successful without providing its target market with a highly controlled but steady stream of merchandise. Games such as Heroes of the Storm offer a frontloaded number of loot chests to hook its players in, then cleverly use the "progression" system to regularly feed them with bits of dopamine. The player profile has a section dedicated to indicating how close players are to acquiring their next reward as a constant reminder. The tiered loot chest system even acts as a small knob to control exactly how much players should be getting, and when. Items such as Stimpacks have the dual effect of doubling the rate of the compulsion looping schedule and instilling players with a false sense of faster progression to become particularly addictive. Positive reinforcement variable ratio schedules are also found under the form of a mechanic known by players as a "pity timer" which ensures that at least one legendary item will be collected every 35th loot chest (every 39th card pack in Hearthstone) to ensure a certain level of randomized microtransaction loyalty.

The visuals and sounds that accompany the opening of loot boxes is specifically designed to heighten excitement, with higher rarity items being generally accompanied by flashier animations and more exciting sound effects.

Ultimately, the goal of the system is to create a form of extrinsic motivation that encourages players to remain active and incentivises them to make purchases. Daily quests fulfill a similar purpose, though they obviously cannot be purchased."

I'm certain you'll remember where this bit comes from. :)

• Like 1