FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Vol'jin's Story in Patch 8.1 (Datamined Broadcast Text)

38409-voljin-zandalar-forever-cutscene-i

Vol'jin's story continues in Patch 8.1. We analyzed the recently dataminer broadcast text in more detail to let you know what's in store for the Son of Sen'jin. This article contains major spoilers.

Don't forget to check out our Tides of Vengeance hub for more information!

Vol'jin's Story in Patch 8.0.1

Horde players Revered with Zandalari Empire can embark on a questline to find out what's up with Vol'jin in Battle for Azeroth. The questline revolves around killing Zalazane and in the end, you'll learn that Vol'jin's Spirit is missing and you learn from Bwonsamdi that his boss isn't going to like it. Does Bwonsamdi serve an entity from the Shadowlands?

Vol'jin's Story in Patch 8.1

Shadow Hunter's story continues in Patch 8.1 and we're looking at the datamined broadcast text from Build 27826.

Talanji and Baine summon Vol'jin. Baine tells him that Sylvanas led the Horde to victory against the Legion, but since then, she hasn't done any good for the Horde. Baine asks Vol'jin about the voice that made him name Sylvanas Warchief and hints at Bwonsamdi. Vol'jin does not remember much and that specific memory is denied by shadows. He recalls a powerful entity from the Other Side that took him somewhere, but not more. Something was wrong that day. Voices of the loa were silent, Bwonsamdi did not heed his call either, suggesting that it were not the loa who wanted Sylvanas Warchief, but something far more powerful.

"Vol'jin, son of Sen'jin, once warchief of the Horde... Hear my voice and appear before us."

Talanji. Ya voice be a mighty one.

"Vol'jin! Is it really you, my old friend?"

Baine... ya heart beats strong and true... just like ya fadda. I be glad da demons didn't take ya.

Sylvanas led us to victory in the war against the Legion.

But since then... she has done much to strain the honor that binds the Horde together.

"I must know... when the voice spoke to you, bidding you to name her warchief... what spirit was it?"

"Ah, my young friend. Death be... dark. Me memory... not be what it once was."

Was it Bwonsamdi? Did he crave the death she would bring?

"Da memory, it be denied me by da shadows. Shadows... dat... dat be comin' for ya! Watch out!"

I remember dyin'. I remember glimpsin' da Other Side.

"I was expectin' ta see ol' Bwonsamdi, or Shadra, or Hir'reek... any of da loa."

Dere was a presence. Somethin' movin' in da shadows. Somethin' powerful.

"Sometin' not be right dat day. Da demons, deir blades slipped past me guard."

"Like dey be doin' now. I cannot hear dem, champion. Da voices of da loa be silent."

I been callin' ta Bwonsamdi for a long time. He not be hearin' me... or he been choosin' not ta answer.

"I remember it takin' me somewhere, but da memory of where be hidden from me. Ta keep me from sharin' da truth..."

"Da truth dat it might not be da loa who wanted Sylvanas to be warchief, but somethin' far more powerful."

Baine and Talanji confront Bwonsamdi and tell him that he turned a deaf ear to Vol'jin's pleas. Bwonsamdi tells them he's not behind naming Sylvanas Warchief, because she has a nasty habit of keeping what she kills.

"Ahhhh, ya come back. Did ya find da spirit of Vol'jin? Or ya here ta make a deal, eh?"

"Loa of death, your servant Vol'jin has called to you. Yet you have turned a deaf ear to his pleas."

"What? Nonono. Ya be mistaken, Talanji."

Speak plainly! Was it you who urged Vol'jin to name Sylvanas warchief?

Mind ya tone, bull-mon... or ya be talkin' with ya father soon enough."

"Why would me want da Banshee Queen in charge? Nononono. Sure, I be all for war and death, but dat Sylvanas... she be tippin' da scales too far."

"Balance be important! Besides, dat one got a nasty habit of keepin' what she kills. No, ya warchief be no friend to ol' Bwonsamdi."

Next, Vol'jin visits the Frozen Throne to confront Bolvar and asks if it was him who told him to name Sylvanas Warchief. We don't know if Bwonsamdi is present as well in the "Jailor of the Damned" scenario scena, but we found the following scenario steps related to his Death Gate that's used to escape the Frozen Throne:

• Confront the Lich King
  • Retreat to Bwonsamdi's Death Gate.,Reach the Death Gate
  • Use Bwonsamdi's Death Gate to escape the Frozen Throne.,Escape the Frozen Throne

It appears Bolvar wasn't behind this at all, based on the broadcast text.

Lich King. Da voice I heard as I be dyin'... tellin' me to name Sylvanas warchief... was it yours?

The Banshee Queen's schemes threaten the balance. I had no hand in them.

And me spirit bein' trapped in dis world... is dat your doin'?

Vol'jin... your soul has walked on the Other Side and returned. You have been altered... more than you know.

Is it you who be trappin' me soul in dis world? Ta jail me like ya jail da Scourge?

You are neither undead nor damned. You do not belong here. Leave this place at once.

I do not like de look of dis. I suggest we go... quickly!

Leave now or stay forever. The choice is yours.

Vol'jin and Talanji now pay Eyir a visit. Eyir is the leader of the Valarjar val'kyr, notably charged with finding glorious combatants to ascend to the Halls of Valor. (Source)

Vol'jin wants to know if Eyir made him return from the Other Side. Eyir tells him that Vol'jin is no longer a mere spirit, but something beyond her power to forge.

"Minions of the Banshee Queen, leave this place or die."

Hold... you DARE bring a priestess of Bwonsamdi into MY halls?

"Eyir, speak with me if da others not be to your liking."

Hmm. Very well. You and your champion may approach. But know that deception will be met with destruction.

"Queen of da Val'kyr. My spirit was sent to da Other Side, den returned. Was dis your doing?

"Shadow hunter, you are no longer a mere spirit. What you have become is something beyond my power to forge."

Who be havin' such power? Could it be da same one who bid me ta name Sylvanas warchief?

You have been touched by the hand of valor. Such a noble force does not scheme for mortal thrones.

So whoever whispered to me's not da same as who sent me back?

"You have been granted all the knowledge I am willing to share. Leave now, and never return."

Vol'jin concludes that neither Bolvar nor Eyir brought him back and Bwonsamdi is confused. Vol'jin vows to ensure that Sylvanas' rule is a just one and tells Talanji to call upon him whenever she needs advice. There was a cutscene datamined a while ago with Talanji and Spirit of Vol'jin. Everything so far suggests that King Rastakhan is going to die and Talanji is going to lead the Zandalari Trolls going forward. Rastakhan is the final Alliance boss in the upcoming Siege of Zuldazar raid and we still don't know anything about his shady deal with Bwonsamdi.

Da Lich King didn't bring me back. Eyir be claimin' she don't got da mojo. Bwonsamdi be as confused as da rest of us. And none of dem were eager ta see Sylvanas in charge.

No matter de circumstances, she is leader of de Horde. I will do all I can to ensure dat her rule is a just one."

"Zandalar still stands because of your courage, Talanji. Your father was mired in da old ways, dreamin' of a troll empire lost to time."

"But you be da first to look to da future... to see what da trolls can become. Ya be young, but ya be righteous. Call on me spirit if ya ever need advice from an old chieftain."

"For now, I gonna keep searchin' for answers. If dere be new enemies gatherin'  in da shadows, den I best be huntin' dem... before dey hunt us."

What do you think about the story so far and who do you think told Vol'jin to name Sylvanas Warchief? Let us know in the comments below!

1 minute ago, Myke said:

"Touched by the hand of Valor"; This to me speaks Azeroth.

How about Odyn? ? 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

How about Odyn? ? 

I don't recall Vol'Jin & Odyn having any interactions, nor does Odyn care about "thrones" (at least in the case of the Horde's Warchief). Azeroth, on the other hand, could very well be interested in fighting the void, hence putting Sylvanas as Warchief via Vol'Jin, even though she probably knows Sylvanas will commit acts that not everyone will agree with (the whole, lesser of two evils thing).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Horde players Revered with Zandalari Empire can embark on a questline to find out what's up with Vol'jin in Battle for Azeroth. The questline revolves around killing Zalazane and in the end, you'll learn that Vol'jin's Spirit is missing and you learn from Bwonsamdi that his boss isn't going to like it. Does Bwonsamdi serve an entity from the Shadowlands?

Did I miss something, are Alliance not invited?

2 hours ago, Myke said:

I don't recall Vol'Jin & Odyn having any interactions, nor does Odyn care about "thrones" (at least in the case of the Horde's Warchief). Azeroth, on the other hand, could very well be interested in fighting the void, hence putting Sylvanas as Warchief via Vol'Jin, even though she probably knows Sylvanas will commit acts that not everyone will agree with (the whole, lesser of two evils thing).

"You have been touched by the hand of valor. Such a noble force does not scheme for mortal thrones.

So whoever whispered to me's not da same as who sent me back?"

I think you're wrong. I think Azeroth is what has brought him back, not what put Sylv in control. He's here to reveal "their" plan. He's not focused on mortal thrones because Azeroth needs him to refocus the fight from each other to the "worlds" throne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bago said:

This is the Horde counterpart to the Alliance's rescuing Jaina from the Blighted Lands questline.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Who be havin' such power? Could it be da same one who bid me ta name Sylvanas warchief?

You have been touched by the hand of valor. Such a noble force does not scheme for mortal thrones.

it seems that eyir suggests that the person who made vlojin make the sylvanace warchieff is different from the person who bringed him back from dead. Practically every force in azeroth seems to agree that what sylvanace is doing is not going to end well !

I said it before and i say it again, voljin said he heard "whispers" that made it clear to him to make her the warchieff. Old gods are infamous for "whispering" things and making people do their biddings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bago said:

I'm pretty sure Horde isn't going to be invited to help Tyrande and the Night Elves ascend to Night Warriors.

There has always been faction specific content going back to Vanilla.  Legion was the first expansion that had both Factions doing exactly the same thing... and that was stupid.

If you want both Horde and Alliance story, play both factions.

Edited by geofferson

I'm gonna say that Azeroth is already "Corrupted" into a dark titan.   "The king of diamonds has been made a pawn" and so on.    Also, Battle For Azeroth takes on a whole new meaning.    It'd also give Sylvannas a "not garrosh 2.0" reason to sacrifice herself to become the new azeroth titan (and become immortal) possibly.

13 minutes ago, Migol said:

It'd also give Sylvannas a "not garrosh 2.0" reason to sacrifice herself to become the new azeroth titan (and become immortal) possibly.

Oh dear god, if that's the case then the writing truly has gone down the drain. Don't get me wrong, the writing so far has been questionable in some aspects. But turning Sylvannas into a new Azeroth Titan is really absurd and will totally disappoint a ton of people to the point where War-bringers: Sylvanas will look like mere child's play of bad writing.

Edited by Rhondis

3 hours ago, Laragon said:

I think Azeroth is what has brought him back

Yes, that's what I said about Vol'Jin being brought back. Azeroth may also be the one that whispered to put Sylvanas as Warchief, especially if Azeroth is trying to actively fight against the Old Gods, whom are servents of the Void.

"He is not focused on Mortal Thrones" is me referring to Odyn, not Vol'Jin. Vol'Jin has said he'll make sure Sylvanas' rule is a just one, thus Vol'Jin is interested in Mortal Thrones. Not once is it ever said that Vol'Jin was not interested in Mortal Thrones. It is my hunch that Azeroth whispered to Vol'Jin to have Sylvanas take the mantle of Warchief so that the Void could not corrupt the next Warchief.

3 hours ago, blackstar128 said:

Old gods are infamous for "whispering" things and making people do their biddings.

It makes little sense for The Void/Old Gods to use beings that are incapable of corrupting.

41 minutes ago, Rhondis said:

Oh dear god, if that's the case then the writing truly has gone down the drain. Don't get me wrong, the writing so far has been questionable in some aspects. But turning Sylvannas into a new Azeroth Titan is really absurd and will totally disappoint a ton of people to the point where War-bringers: Sylvanas will look like mere child's play of bad writing.

Not really arguing, just they've really written themselves into a corner with Sylvannas.    Undeniablly evil, which has a lot of Horde Players disgusted.    Probably too evil for any kinda of redemption arc (the things she's done make flippin Garrosh not look so bad).   At the same time they've promised she won't become a raid boss.

With that in mind, I absolutely don't see her abdicating.    I don't see her being killed off by rando minion #283 like Vol'jin.     I can only see her leaving for her own gain, or maybe if they say "screw it, Anduin and the Alliance win, suck it up and take it Horde, at least you get to have Saurfang as acting Warchief".

18 minutes ago, Migol said:

Not really arguing, just they've really written themselves into a corner with Sylvannas.    Undeniablly evil, which has a lot of Horde Players disgusted.    Probably too evil for any kinda of redemption arc (the things she's done make flippin Garrosh not look so bad)

Garrosh literally tried to commit genocide against every non-orc member of his own faction (except some goblins because... reasons?), and nuked a city with his own troops in it as bait, While Sylvanas burned a tree and destroyed a previously destroyed a city. Yes, it's real bad that some horde got caught in the plague at Lordaeron, but she didn't purposefully do that especially when she didn't originally plan on using the plague.

And the thing people claim as her being awful to baine, probably saved his life instead of going back for Saurfang who SPECIFICALLY made it clear that is what he wanted. Garrosh would probably have just cut Baine and Saurfang's heads off himself.

8 hours ago, Stan said:

How about Odyn? ? 

Odyn has nothing to do with this expansion, so I doubt he will get involved in this storyline.

19 hours ago, DaltonIsPanda said:

This is the Horde counterpart to the Alliance's rescuing Jaina from the Blighted Lands questline.

Ah - that was the bit I missed. thx

16 hours ago, Myke said:

It makes little sense for The Void/Old Gods to use beings that are incapable of corrupting.

do they need to use magic, she is doing a fine job weakening forces on azeroth.

18 hours ago, geofferson said:

Legion was the first expansion that had both Factions doing exactly the same thing... and that was stupid.

...other than the whole 'working together on things more important than which side of the Maelstrom theyre on' kind of stuff, yea, totally stupid.

11 minutes ago, blackstar128 said:

do they need to use magic, she is doing a fine job weakening forces on azeroth.

By that logic, so is the "boy-king" whom is also a pawn in the Old Gods Plans.

8 minutes ago, Myke said:

By that logic, so is the "boy-king" whom is also a pawn in the Old Gods Plans.

Exactly a pawn (as in he dosent do it knowingly). while sylvanace started the war, anduin followed her into a full on war, helping weaken the army that old gods would face. That suggest that probably sylvanace made a deal with old gods.

think about it. She dose "anything" if it benefits her. she is using horde very carelessly, as in if she dosent care about its power. she already lost orcs and taurens loyalty and zandalaris are soon to follow. And she hasnt done anything about it. she almost disregards it. sylvanace has never been the stupid one, meaning she dont think horde going to last long. So she has a made a alliance with old gods. since she is immune to their influence, she wont turn into a mindless minion and she will be on the wining side ! Plus eveyrthing she has done has helped the old gods. that cant be just coincidence! Honsetly at this point i wont be surprised if making her warchief was part of the deal.

the only thing that contradicts this is blizzard keep saying it she wont be garrosh 2.0 1

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackstar128 said:

That suggest that probably sylvanace made a deal with old gods

No it doesn't. There is nothing even remotely suggesting that Sylvanas made any kind of a deal with the Old Gods nor would The Void make any deals with Sylvanas, since she is undead and The Void view the undead as the enemy as they cannot control the Undead.

think about it. She dose "anything" if it benefits her. she is using horde very carelessly, as in if she dosent care about its power. she already lost orcs and taurens loyalty and zandalaris are soon to follow. And she hasnt done anything about it. she almost disregards it. sylvanace has never been the stupid one, meaning she dont think horde going to last long. So she has a made a alliance with old gods. since she is immune to their influence, she wont turn into a mindless minion and she will be on the wining side ! Plus eveyrthing she has done has helped the old gods. that cant be just coincidence! Honsetly at this point i wont be surprised if making her warchief was part of the deal.

This is the dumbest theory I have ever read. You really need to rethink it because none of what you said has made any sense. The Void would benefit more from Sylvanas being killed and having her be replaced with someone that is corruptible. 

Edited by Myke

Honsetly at this point i wont be surprised if making her warchief was part of the deal.

Her becoming Warchief, in my opinion, is to counter any influence The Void would have in manipulating The Horde. Sylvanas will do whats necessary to keep the Horde going because it keeps her own life going, which she is actively trying to keep going as she knows what waits for her when she does eventually kick the bucket. But to assume that The Horde are going to be dismantled, you are very foolish and/or idiotic and have no sense of story telling. You're probably just some alliance fanboy that wants to keep panting Sylvanas as this big evil.

And for the love of god, spell Sylvanas right.

Oh and on another note, you claim she's using the Horde carelessly, but you are completely ignorant to the fact that Syvlanas is a war tactician, so try again.

Edited by Myke