FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Blizzard Co-founder Frank Pearce Retires After 28 Years

5adhPmY.jpg

After Mike Morhaime, another co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment is now leaving, as Frank Pearce departs after 28 years with the company. He has some really nice words about both the old and new guard at Blizzard and seems incredibly happy with his journey so far. We also get a comment from CEO J. Allen Brack who looks back on his time with Frank.

Blizzard LogoFrank Pearce (source)

From Frank Pearce

The time has come for me to step away from Blizzard and pass the torch to the next generation of leaders.

My journey as part of the Blizzard community began over 28 years ago. Allen offered me an opportunity to join him and Mike in their adventure and dream to make video games. Video games were a passion that we shared, and I had only a fleeting hope that I would have the opportunity to make games one day. The decision was easy for me - I did not have the benefit of internet searches to help start me down the path. Allen’s offer letter was the best and only chance I thought I might ever have. Looking back, I know how incredibly fortunate I was to have been a part of what Blizzard has become.

Our efforts were always guided by well-intentioned purpose. We made games that we wanted to play, believing that like-minded people would also want to play those games. Today we characterize it more specifically with the ambitious vision of bringing the world together through epic entertainment. I am so proud to have had the chance to positively impact the lives of so many people through the experiences we have created.

My time at Blizzard encompasses the entirety of both my professional career and my adult life. I have countless fond memories. Working with the best developers in the world on the best franchises in the world definitively stands out. Even more prominent are my memories of our first BlizzCon where I realized the special importance of the people and communities that had become part of the experience for our players.

Words cannot express the gratitude I feel to have been involved with Blizzard, our games, our employees, and most importantly our community. Before Blizzard I struggled to find a place in which I felt I belonged. Now I know I will always have a place, as will many other people. Thank you to all of you for providing me the sense of inclusion I require as a person.

I have been lucky enough to work with J and Ray for many years, and now it is their responsibility to define how the adventure continues. They are game development leaders that are incredibly talented, experienced, and truly understand what is foundationally most important for Blizzard and our community. I know that the future of Blizzard will be amazing under their guidance. There are many exciting initiatives in the works, and I can’t wait to see the end results.

Everything I have done at Blizzard has been driven by my passion. I have worked very hard and very passionately for a very long time. Now it is time for me to reflect and be thoughtful about what comes next. I plan to spend more time active in the outdoors. I’d like to learn to play an instrument. I hope to devote more time to aspects of my life that may not have gotten as much attention in the past. One thing is for certain – I will continue to be a part of the Blizzard family.

My request and hope for all of you is that you continue living the Blizzard values and that you be kind and respectful to one another as you experience what Blizzard creates in the future. Blizzard is a special place and a special community, and everyone with whom you interact is important to the Blizzard journey as it continues forward. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful past I have enjoyed, and thank you in advance for the great future I expect we will share.

Play nice, play fair,

Frank

From J. Allen Brack

The time has come to say goodbye to one of my heroes, one of our founders, as well as one of our friends. When I moved into my new position last year, Frank stepped into an advisory role to help with the transition, specifically working with Ray Gresko and me on our games, culture, and the future of Blizzard. His support has been invaluable to us and to say we’re going to miss him is an understatement.

The first time I met Frank was during a lunch interview to join Blizzard. I was nervous not only because I was excited about the opportunity to join a company I loved, but because I was sitting face-to-face with one of the founders of Blizzard.

Frank can be intimidating, and sometimes comes across as a bit gruff. Underneath is a person of deep feeling, and of deep love for both the family of Blizzard, and the unique and caring community that has grown around Blizzard games. Frank is also a person I’m proud to call a close friend. Frank was one of the people who got me into running, and we’ve run dozens of races together over the years.

Like many of us, Frank is an introvert. Thus many of you haven’t seen a lot of him publicly, nor seen the deep impact he’s had on Blizzard, and on the culture specifically. But Frank has been here from the beginning, building and expanding the foundation and championing the values behind everything Blizzard does. Blizzard is better because of Frank Pearce.

A few BlizzCons ago, Frank talked about the value of human connection through video games, feeling a sense of belonging within the community, and that comes from a very personal place for Frank. Frank might be hanging up his armor now, but because of the influence he’s had in helping to build Blizzard and the connections he’s made with so many of us, veterans and new recruits alike who are all carrying the same torch forward, he’ll always be here with us.

We love you Frank.

JAB

• Thanks 1

"And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust"

I guess we should get used to the fact that blizzard isn't exactly the blizzard we used to know and love. R.I.P.

Edited by tyraelpl

Note: Every retirement and change of positions is taken with much drama by the community.

Farewell man, almost three decades is quite some time at Blizzard.

• Like 8

Yeah, people are usually overreacting with this stuff. He has been there for so long, it's normal if he just wants to retire or concentrate on something smaller. These guys aren't getting any younger. 🙂

Edited by Arcling

So, someone starts one of the best companies ever, and after 28 years he decides to retirement to be with his family and rest and everyone in the community go nuts

• Like 1

Workers get massively fired, heads and founders leave on their own. At this point in time such movements, for whatever reason they happen, will definitely contribute to morale within the company.

But you go ahead and keep your heads up your butts and tell me about community overreacting. CoolStoryBob

Edited by Undeath
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Undeath said:

Workers get massively fired, heads and founders leave on their own.

They do, those are two unrelated cases. People retiring in their 50s/60s and community overreacts, nothing to do with "abandon ship" (especially if we are talking about leading positions, it takes its toll on a man).

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 4

He's still likely a major shareholder of the company - so I guess if he wants to come back he will just walk in - he still owns the place (or at least a huge part of it).
My first guess was though since Frank was known as a Diablo-guy is that Diablo 4 is either finished or the project was scrapped.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, Starym said:

he’ll always be here with us.

so like, what he's already talking like he is dead? and did frank REALLY say he's leaving wow to

On 7/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, Starym said:

I plan to spend more time active in the outdoors. I’d like to learn to play an instrument.

really?????

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      From November 26 through December 2, you can save up to 50% on Blizzard and Activision digital games and bundles, including the Virtual Ticket which comes with in-game rewards and is still available for purchase.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Black Friday is on the horizon, and that means discounts to help kickstart your holiday shopping! At the Blizzard Shop, we’re offering up to 50% off Blizzard and Activision digital games, bundles, upgrades, and more. The Blizzard Gear Store is also getting into the holiday spirit, with sales taking place on Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and through until the end of the year.
      Whether you’re getting into the season of giving for your friends and family—or simply want to treat yourself to something fun—you won’t want to miss out on these deals.
      Blizzard Shop Black Friday Sale
      From November 26 through December 2, treat yourself to something new from World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, StarCraft®, Hearthstone®, Diablo® III, Heroes of the Storm® or Call of Duty®.
      World of Warcraft®
      Get 50% off the following for adventurers of all kinds:
      Battle for Azeroth® (Standard Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition, or Digital Deluxe Upgrade) Battle for Azeroth Digital Deluxe Items Legion® Digital Deluxe Items Warlords of Draenor® Digital Deluxe Items New to World of Warcraft?* As an extra bonus, from now through January 6, 2020, new players can save 50% on the first month of a new World of Warcraft subscription. A subscription includes access to both World of Warcraft and World of Warcraft Classic.
      To check these out, head over to the Blizzard Shop—and if you’re buying for a friend or loved one, consider pairing it with the Recruit A Friend program!

* Subscription to World of Warcraft does not include the most recent playable expansion, which is sold separately.
      Overwatch®
      The world could always use more heroes, and those heroes might as well be your mates!
      Overwatch Standard Edition (PC only): 25% off Overwatch Legendary Edition (PC only): 50% off If you haven’t yet begun your watch, we’ll be running a Free Trial between November 26 and December 4, available on PC, PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One®. To learn how to jump in, head to tryoverwatch.com.
      StarCraft®
      Save up to 50% on a wide variety of StarCraft II campaigns and announcers—check out the Blizzard Shop to see all of the options on sale.
      StarCraft: Remastered is also getting the Black Friday treatment, with 50% off the game, 40% off the StarCraft: Remastered and StarCraft: Cartooned bundle, 25% off the Cartooned upgrade, and up to 30% off announcers.
      Hearthstone®
      Don’t miss your chance to play as more of your favorite Hearthstone Heroes and dominate in style. Through December 9, seize your chance to add Magni, Alleria, and Medivh to your collection for just $6.99 each!
      Complete with epic emotes, voice lines, special entrance and Hero Power animations, and their own card back, recruit these champions of Azeroth before they rotate out of the shop at the end of this offer.  
      Diablo® III
      The price of becoming a demon-slayer has been temporarily slashed at the Blizzard Shop.
      Diablo III: Up to 50% off Reaper of Souls™: Up to 50% off Battle Chest: Up to 33% off Rise of the Necromancer™: Up to 33% off Eternal Collection: Up to 25% off Heroes of the Storm™
      Join the legendary heroes and villains of the Nexus and get ready for Deathwing to warm you up this holiday season!
      Welcome to the Nexus Bundle: Up to 30% off Heroic Reinforcements Bundle: Up to 30% off 360-day Stim Pack: 33% off (available in-game only) Call of Duty®
      Answer the call with the following sales:
      Modern Warfare Standard Edition: 17% off* Modern Warfare Operator Edition: 20% off Modern Warfare Operator Enhanced Edition: 20% off Black Ops 4: 60% off Black Ops 4 Digital Deluxe: 50% off Black Ops 4 Battle Edition: 50% off Black Ops 4 Black Ops Pass: 60% off * Sale on Modern Warfare Standard Edition runs from November 27, 4pm PST to December 3, 10am PST.
      Blizzard Gear Store
      From now until the end of the year, Fanatics will be offering a range of holiday savings. Look out for up to 25% off individual items, up to 30% off your overall order, and more! Check out the Blizzard Gear Store, load up your cart, and check back throughout the holiday sale period to see how you can save! (Product exclusions apply.)
      BlizzCon 2019 Virtual Ticket
      If you missed out on the panels, Q&As and entertainment from BlizzCon this year, never fear! For a limited time, the BlizzCon 2019 Virtual Ticket will be on sale for a special promotional price, granting access to all Virtual Ticket content, the in-game digital extras, and access to the Warcraft III: Reforged beta. Head to the Virtual Ticket page to purchase!
    • By Starym
      We have some fun Diablo stuff today, with two videos showcasing the amazing work the community has been doing, in part hyped up by the Diablo 4 announcement. We have the third old-school cinematic improved through machine learning AI, with the Diablo 2 intro getting the treatment by youtube channel Upscale!
      And then we have some more creative work, with RandomPolishGuy putting in a lot of effort and making his own lore video in the style of the Diablo 3 animated cutscenes, featuring Inarius, Lilith and the creation of Sanctuary:
      Source: r/diablo.
    • By Stan
      Inven Global talked to a former Blizzard employee about HGC's cancellation and the game in general.
      Before the Storm
      Whereas other franchises have big patches once every three months, the Heroes dev team was constantly working overtime to put up with Hero releases, events, balance updates, and pretty much everything.
      Former Blizzard employees said there was a disconnect between departments; the esports departments knew something was going on with HGC, but they didn't tell anyone about it.
      Members of the public relations department weren't able to communicate effectively with players and organizations, because they themselves weren't told anything.
      Another source said they thought we'd see at least one more year of HGC.
      The Death Sentence for Competitive HotS
      Unbeknownst to many Blizzard employees and the community, J. Allen Brack and Ray Gresko came with a statement on HGC's cancellation and the future of the game in December 2018.
      Apparently, Blizzard employees learned about the cuts to the game and esports scene via email at the same time as the rest of the world, shortly before the blog post went live.
      Unsustainable Workload
      Prior to the the announcement, the Heroes dev team was one of the largest on campus. With community wanting more content to prevent the game from becoming stale, the developers were often pushed to their limits, which is why some were slightly relieved when they learned about the future of the game.
      Diablo: Immortal and Diablo IV Development
      Following the not so successful announcement of Diablo: Immortal at last year's BlizzCon, the developers at the company felt the urge to make things right and they simply had to reveal Diablo IV at this year's BlizzCon, so they ramped up the production of the game, grabbing the resources from the Heroes of the Storm team.
      Check out the full post on Inven Global article for more information!
    • By Starym
      While we all expected the Diablo 2 remaster to be announced at this year's BlizzCon and some rumors even pointed to it, it seems we may not ever get the updated version of the game. According to Erich and Max Schaefer, two of the original creators of both Diablo 1 and 2, the remaster is very unlikely, as a little while before launch of D2, the entire backup of the source code and assets was lost.
      Talking at ExileCon 2019, the series creators were reminiscing about the beginnings of the franchise (and genre), and this particular story stood out:
      This isn't the first time Blizzard has had troubles with the source code of their games, as Classic WoW is also not based on the full Vanilla code, as parts of it were lost over the years and the update process with new expansions.
      This all comes from a Gamespot article covering the talks at ExileCon and also features a great story about the original Diablo's creation, before Blizzard bought Condor, the original developers, and how they were completely broke and wouldn't have been able to ship the game (and might have even gone to jail for tax evasion) if Blizzard hadn't shown up with their offer. Also, they were only expecting around 20,000 copies to be sold for the game to be a success and fund a sequel, which really gives you some perspective as to how things have changed, with Diablo 3 having sold over 30 million copies, and D2 clocking in at around 17 million.
      In any case, you should definitely head on over to Gamespot and read the full article with many more quotes from the fathers of the Diablo franchise.
    • By Starym
      We have modernized blast from the past, courtesy of the Upscale youtube channel, as they've taken the first Diablo 2 trailer and the intro cinematic from Lord of Destruction and, as their name suggests, recently upscaled them!
      First off it's a slightly less familiar E3 teaser for Diablo 2 from 1998, enhanced to 4K!
      And then it's on to one that we've all seen, from the Lord of Destruction expansion, and it seems Bhaal got a better deal, as he got remastered to 8k!
      While the cinematics still look dated, they look a hell of a lot better than the originals, as you can see in the side-by-side comparisons. You should check out the channel, as they also did some work on the Diablo 4 intro cinematic, as well as a whole lot of other games.
      And here's the original D2 intro cinematic, upscaled with machine learning earlier this year as a bonus in case you missed it.