FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
epocc

567 ilvl destro lock feeling underwhleming; Please Help!

Hey, I am currently feeling like I should be doing more dps in my raid. I play a Destruction Warlock named Epocstnelis on Stormrage-Alliance US as my main spec.

Even my single target fights such as normal mode Juggernaut and normal mode Malkorok seem weak to me. Keep in mine we just put this guild together and started raiding heroics 2 1/2 weeks ago, so we are still progressing and learning the heroic fights mostly. On heroic Galkaras I am assigned to a tower engineer so I try to save my burst to get the tower grunts down quick, which is part of the reason I feel my dps is low on that fight in particular. I also seem to have trouble havoicing Shadowburns like I know I should be on adds in add fights like galkaras because the adds go from 20% to dead extremely fast.

Also, I do line up my chaos bolts and dark soul with trinkets whenever possible! I am avoiding Embercapping by firing a Chaos Bolt at 3 - 3.5 Embers regardless of procs when possible(i.e. not having to move for mechanics). I also use Weak Auras to trac my trinket procs as well as my tier set bonuses to fire off Choas Bolts when they proc as well as get a crit buffed immolate up with the tier bonuses for extra ember regen.

Any help on single target and cleave fights would be greatly appreciated! Also, I have trouble AoEing the adds on dark shamans because our damn hunter and ele shaman get them so quickly! I will post links to World of Logs, armory, and wow-heroes below. Thanks again!

wow-heroes
http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Stormrage/Epocstnelis/

WoW Armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Stormrage/Epocstnelis/advanced

World of Logs
http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/308035/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/308392/

Thanks again for any help!

p.s. I know I need to work on havocing shadowburns. I am especially interested in any single target improvements.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/4394-attn-warlocks-warcraftlogs/

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/3496-zagams-fixing-your-dps-faq/

I'm stepping in to our alt raid right now, these two links should get you started. I'll look at logs later but if you can upload it to warcraftlogs it helps a lot.

Quick look at logs (but seriously, look at the links Locky posted).

Sha of Pride Immolate uptime = 49%.  This is a huge mistake.

Sha of Pride Dark Soul use = 2 in 6:22.  You missed out on 2 extra charges.

Without looking at much else, you really need to look at your logs in link with the DPS FAQ that Locky linked.  You have some critical gameplay issues.  Start there and come back if you have more detail-oriented questions.

Yea, sha of pride is still kind of progression for us. I was a lot more focused on watching out for the mechanics than using that DS on CD. didnt realize my immolate was so low. will it make that big of a difference in dps, that is something i def need to work on. Also, sometimes I lose out on DS charges due to terrible trinket RNG taking way longer than the CD for them to proc again because I try to stack DS with a trinket every time. Should I not do that and just use DS whenever it comes up?

I do have two particular questions. On fights like galk or naz should I save havoc to use with shadowburn potentially or just use it on CD with a CB? Also, is it completely pointless and a dps loss to RoF a single target now?

I've heard of warcraft logs before and actually suggested our GM switch to that, but he doesnt want to for some reason, think it has to do with rankings. I guess I can DL it and log myself and post to warcraft logs next week. 

I looked at the destro fix link too. I feel like I do a pretty good job on that stuff most of the time except immolate being so low and granted I do slack more so while learning fights as im more concerned with avoiding dying and following mechanics until I get used to them.

I really thought I was doing better than that with the uptime there however. even so, I just feel like I should be doing another 30-40k dps in some cases on single target like normal mode juggernaut or normal mode malkorok and I don't think the immol would make up for that would it? Also, some logs I was told my incinerate damage was higher than CB damage and I know that's supposed to happen and i'm not sure why it did.

Edited by epocc

Thanks for the replies and help btw you two. I posted on wow forums and mmo-champ and no help at either place. I really appreciate it!

Holding DS for <10sec is fine, more then that it's not worth it. Line it with PBI when you can.

ST ROF is useless.

Havoc with shadowburn is best, but using it on CD or as close as possible is better.

Fights like Garrosh Incinerate can beat CB if you're add killing, other wise CB should always be higher if you're snap shotting well.

Damage doesn't just come from the tick of the Immolate, it's also ember gen. Not having it up can have a fairly large impact on over all DPS. 

Alright thanks, this coming raid week im going to try to DS on CD or within 5-10 secs to give proc stacking a chance and work on keeping immolate up better for more ember regen and also havocing on CD regardless of whether SB is available and see what that does as well as cutting out RoF single target.

I did have one more question in particular on galkaras. When I FnB the add waves it seems to be a loss of embers rather than a gain. I usually FnB Immolate then FnB conflag, then FnB Incinerates. Although I am also assigned to killing the tower grunt. Am I doing something wrong? I've thought maybe the adds just werent stacked tight enough since I didnt think I should be losing embers on that fight through FnB.

A higher uptime of Immolate is very important...or more important, than it seems(because of the embers). Use your embermaster-buffs for immolate(except the duration of the immolate is a lot higher, than 50%). First of all this provides you with a higher emberincome and it keeps you on your toes to recast Immolate.

DS is also a nobrainer.

What people keep forgetting is, that your damage is not just determined by your skill, but also by the skill using and classcombination of your raid. Especially important in 10 man groups, since there it's not a given, that you have every major raidwide dps buff, such as the skullbanner...and even if you have it, your raidmates have to use them appropriately. F.e. my group has gained an another warrior and thanks to him i can fire 2-3, instead of 1 fullbuffed CB in my opener. Which is huge, especially if the second banner lines up with my EM+DS in the rest of the fight. The first warrior we had just couldn't cast his banner 2-3 seconds after the pull(because it interfered with his openermacro-.-), so that in the end just one CB was buffed and the rest of the fight the bannerbuff expired just before my DS+EM were of CD. But thats just one example.

The bossstrategy is also very important. What kind of strategy does your group use? f.e. on IJ normal, do you have to run out of every small aoe-effect or don't your healer mind, if you stand in the whole minor crap and cast. Where does your group stack? a.s.o. Or on Garrosh. How much of the fight do you stand @ one point and how much time do you use to run around a.s.o.

Also play around with your haste. Yes i know, that Zagam and Locky don't like haste because of the low incineratecap and the contrary to haste, crit doesn't cap out. But still in high movementfights. i personaly like a little bit of haste(6-7k, also because i play demonology as 2nd specc) and i think every player should find his personal sweet spot for haste with which he/she can play the best. While the most of the good players can make more dmg with a lower haste build, than with a high-haste build, it doesn't make sense to play this kind of build if you can't use it to it's full potential.

As for Galakras. Open with conflagrate and not Immolate. If you cast Conflagrate, conflagrate, incinerate and then immolate, you have a much better emberflow, than with your aoe-opener. If you open with immolate, then you have a huge emberhole in the beginning. 

For Galakras, this may sound a little snubish, but warlocks have one of the best aoe in the game. You should try to see if there is anyway for you not to be assigned to kill the grunts, or, at very least, have one or two range dps help you out so that you dont waste too much time on the grunt.

I wouldnt worry about the oozes on normal shamans.... if possible, simply go affliction for that boss (assuming you use only 2 tanks).