FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Restoration Shaman 5.4

Personally I believe that mastery is useless even before 50%. Crit will give you more throughoutput (and mana) on 99% off all encounters. Only good fight for mastery that I can think about is Chimaeron but still there it's just to push higher hps and will heal people more than what's needed.

Chimaeron?

Man, Mastery on Chimaeron was fun, 'cause you could Riptide a dude and that was the 10k they needed to survive. Great times... Did you perhaps mean Megaera? I assume you're talking about a boss from the current tier :D

Nah, I meant from t11, my point was that it's not really good on any fight this tier sadly. Maybe if you underheal Megaera but still I doubt it.

Edited by sonie

Guest Jake

Have you guys started anything for 5.4 yet? As of right now Rushing Streams is the go too talent over conductivity and guidance.

Have you guys started anything for 5.4 yet? As of right now Rushing Streams is the go too talent over conductivity and guidance.

It's in the works, don't worry. You can always check out the Shaman Forum and start your own discussion there, I'll be more than happy to join in.

Guest Jake

So here we are in 5.4 and the changes to shamans have changed our stat weights some what, specifically the target haste breakpoints.  For 25m resto shaman I have seen a lot using the 10k breakpoint to gain elemental mastery for the extra cool down(most likely these guilds are underhealing to defeat enrage timers).  As a two healing resto shaman, I have been juggling between the 1st healing tide breakpoint and 2nd healing stream breakpoint w/ AS.  As for talent strengths, conductivity is actually performing really well on the fights where it gets abused,(protectors,sha,galakras wave group).  AG should be the go to talent for fights with light consistent healing where you'll need the extra cool down,(nazgrim).  I am only 8/14 but thats my two cents.  RS is for constant moderate-high dmg fights ala norushen, dark shaman, and juggernaut.

Guest rom

Hi Guys!

I'm Kind of confused...I read this Resto-Shaman Guide here and reforged with AMR (Spirit->Haste->Crit->Mastery). I'm raiding in a10Man Grp (Not Progress), a good friend of mine also plays a Resto in Progress and said I should go on Mastery if I can handle my Mana. Every Shaman I see goes also on Mastery, but why? I understand the the Deep Healing Mastery, but why is this Guide saying I should go on Crit ?

Thx for your help!

Grom

Hi Guys!

I'm Kind of confused...I read this Resto-Shaman Guide here and reforged with AMR (Spirit->Haste->Crit->Mastery). I'm raiding in a10Man Grp (Not Progress), a good friend of mine also plays a Resto in Progress and said I should go on Mastery if I can handle my Mana. Every Shaman I see goes also on Mastery, but why? I understand the the Deep Healing Mastery, but why is this Guide saying I should go on Crit ?

Thx for your help!

Grom

In short:

Mastery is only good when you're REALLY pushing your healing team. SInce you're not in progress (and the guides aren't designed for people pushing progress that hard) you don't need it.

In long:

Mastery is absolutely awesome, but only good when people's healthbars are low. The point where it starts losing you healing is above about 70% hp. As you stack more Mastery, you lose exponentially more healing. This isn't a good thing when you're not pushing hard progress. In your case, Crit and Haste will be superior in current Normal-mode gear. About 50% Mastery is a good level to have, and you tend to reach that very easily. Don't sweat over it too much though :)

Stoove

(Your local Resto Shaman expert)

Guest Grom

In short:

Mastery is only good when you're REALLY pushing your healing team. SInce you're not in progress (and the guides aren't designed for people pushing progress that hard) you don't need it.

In long:

Mastery is absolutely awesome, but only good when people's healthbars are low. The point where it starts losing you healing is above about 70% hp. As you stack more Mastery, you lose exponentially more healing. This isn't a good thing when you're not pushing hard progress. In your case, Crit and Haste will be superior in current Normal-mode gear. About 50% Mastery is a good level to have, and you tend to reach that very easily. Don't sweat over it too much though smile.png

Stoove

(Your local Resto Shaman expert)

Hi Stoove!

Thanks for your explenation! Now I think I got it!

Guest jakkob4682

what stoove said.  Even on progression you'll find that anything over 50%ish mastery is still semi-weak compared to more haste or a heavy crit build, tldr version: the way mastery synergizes with crit is amazing even at 50%, the other important reason is because of AA and Resurgence, and given the fact that our chain heal usage went up in lieu of buffs to chain heal this increases its value even more.

Guest Helio

Probably already covered somewhere but the guide still shows it..

Spiritwalker's Grace used in conjuction with Lightning Bolt during heavy movement phases with little to no incoming damage is pointless. Lightning bolt is already a "can be cast while moving" spell, so the cooldown is essentially wasted. It would probably be more fitting to use Grace towards the end of the phase to allow you to get back to position without cutting back on your heals for the initial damage return.

I am a 25 man healer, Restoration Shaman Draewind.  During our progression, my role is the savior.  There are so many boss fights that eat the raid with massive aoe damage (even some of the trash) that my job is to keep the raid up.  I don't use Healing Tide Totem exept for emergencies, and I save Ascendance likewise.  In my experience, Healing Stream Totem was my highest healing.  So I got an incredible increase in my overall healing with inv_spear_04.jpgRushing Streams.  This increases the HST to almost 30% of my healing.  The nearest other abilities were sitting at 15% of my healing (I boost haste to the 30% breakpoint to get the extra ticks). Mastery is much more valuable in my environment than crit.  I have to carry the spirit to keep up with the haste and since my abilities are used at critical times, the boost from mastery is significant.

I run LFR groups over and over, evaluating all the Resto-Shamans in the raid.  I evaluate based on gear level the different styles and abilities of the many builds, stat priorities, and glyphs.  Theorycraft is a great tool, but to evaluate in this manner gives me a firm grasp on the reality of healing with the Restoration Shaman.  Most often I find what would be expected and have found many little tweaks to help better my performance at raid time.  It is a competetive business this healing.  You get and maintain your spot in a raid group by your performance and your ability to come through when needed.  I almost hate sharing this information, but this website has helped me no end and I must let you know of an interesting fact that I have come across.

I was in an LFR and a much lower geared Shaman was nearly keeping pace with me on the meters.  I was shocked and more than curious.  I didn't even wait until raid end to start analyzing the situation.  This shaman was putting out huge numbers with his Healing Rain.  His HST was not near what it should be and his overall performance was lackluster ... with the exception of his Healing Rain.  Upon analysis I found that it was due to his ability_shaman_echooftheelements.jpgEcho of the Elements.  It appears that when one proc occurs on a tick of Healing Rain, the entire Healing Rain tick is duplicated. Since there are at least 6 heals on each tick, this thing procs nearly every tick, thereby doubling the healing.  I tried it out and almost doubled my Healing Rain output.  This resulted in an overall increase in my healing of 15-20%.  It made a huge difference against Hellscream.  It is a major boon and cannot be ignored.  I now maintain my haste considering HST and Healing rain.  This comes at a price since I have to sacrifice and replace the haste advantage (5%) of the

spell_shaman_elementaloath.jpgAncestral Swiftness and lose my "insta-heal", but it is worth every bit of the sacrifice and more.  In your evaluation of ability_shaman_echooftheelements.jpgEcho of the Elements you state that it is uncontrollable and not viable.  I STRONGLY DISAGREE.  I think it is a must.

My Healing Rain is doing 25% of my healing now, and the HST is doing 26%.  The HST is doing the same amount, only it is now a smaller percentage of the higher overall.  Try it out.  Go out and get a baseline for your Healing Rain, then spec into ability_shaman_echooftheelements.jpgEcho of the Elements and compare.  The affect on Healing Rain may not have been intended, but it is there.

Good Hunting!

Drae

Edited by Draewind
  • Like 1

Guest Monkery

I am very new to shaman heal, Just wonder if i want to go 10M group, and I am Goblin, How much stats each would be reasonable? I know the real stats varies depends on different people, but I am kind messed up by all those options as a newbie.

Spirit =

Haste (breakpoint) =

Mastery(soft cap) =                                            //I assume this one is going to 50%?

crit =                                                                  //This one is going to be stacked after all those capped?

I am very new to shaman heal, Just wonder if i want to go 10M group, and I am Goblin, How much stats each would be reasonable? I know the real stats varies depends on different people, but I am kind messed up by all those options as a newbie.

Spirit =

Haste (breakpoint) =

Mastery(soft cap) =                       //I assume this one is going to 50%?

crit =                                              //This one is going to be stacked after all those capped?

Guest Queezy

I have been a resto shaman for many years and have tried many different styles and builds. I still find myself excelling with a crit haste build rather than a build concentrating on mastery. Even by building my toon around haste and crit i still find myself with 64% mastery.

Queezy

Shadowsong

I have been a resto shaman for many years and have tried many different styles and builds. I still find myself excelling with a crit haste build rather than a build concentrating on mastery. Even by building my toon around haste and crit i still find myself with 64% mastery.

Queezy

Shadowsong

Yes, this is a common situation. On the Shaman Subforum we discuss this a lot - the general consensus seems to be pretty much what you've observed here.

Guest Sidka

Not sure if it's been mentioned. But, Section 1, best in slot advice, in the after progression paragraph, the T16 2pc bonus is actually the 4pc bonus, and has a link for the 4pc bonus. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned. But, Section 1, best in slot advice, in the after progression paragraph, the T16 2pc bonus is actually the 4pc bonus, and has a link for the 4pc bonus. 

To add to this, the links in the text in this section don't lead to the correct page - they go to the macros and addons page.

Finally, I'd like to add that the ~33% Haste cap that you quote in the guide is misleading. It's not well known, but there is no hard breakpoint for totems because the maths doesn't line up with what is actually observed. The value you quote won't ever be seen in practice - it is more usual to see "random" extra ticks added. The  current theory for this is that the odd behaviour is caused by server lag, which is completely out of players' control. I'll repeat for emphasis - getting to the ~33% "cap" will not get you consistent extra heals. This has been a known issue since the MoP beta.

It is somewhat frustrating to keep having to tell people this, so I'd really appreciate it if this were changed.

Guest Vivax

I think I found an error in the tables in sections 2.2.3 and 2.2.4. The table is showing the same haste rating required in order to reach these two different soft caps in the lines labeled as spell haste(no), ancestral swiftness(yes) and goblin(yes). 

2.2.3. 30% Soft Haste Cap +5% Spell Haste Raid Buff wow_icon_spell_shaman_elementaloath.jpg Ancestral Swiftness Goblin? Haste Rating Needed NO NO NO 12749 NO NO YES 12202 NO YES NO 10118 NO YES YES 9597 YES NO NO 10118 YES NO YES 9597 YES YES NO 7613 YES YES YES 7116 2.2.4. 33.29% Soft Haste Cap

+5% Spell Haste Raid Buff wow_icon_spell_shaman_elementaloath.jpg Ancestral Swiftness Goblin? Haste Rating Needed NO NO NO 14148 NO NO YES 13587 NO YES NO 11451 NO YES YES 9597 YES NO NO 11451 YES NO YES 10917 YES YES NO 8882 YES YES YES 8373

Guest Grom

Hi Guys.

Short Question. Is the 2nd Piece Bonus of the T16 Resto Set good as 1 Heroic and 1 Warforged Item?

I got 1 Piece in 548 and one Piece 561.

Hi Guys.

Short Question. Is the 2nd Piece Bonus of the T16 Resto Set good as 1 Heroic and 1 Warforged Item?

I got 1 Piece in 548 and one Piece 561.

It does up to 10% of my healing on a given Heroic fight, so I'd take the 2-set and wait for more tier gear.

I think I found an error in the tables in sections 2.2.3 and 2.2.4. The table is showing the same haste rating required in order to reach these two different soft caps in the lines labeled as spell haste(no), ancestral swiftness(yes) and goblin(yes). 

2.2.3. 30% Soft Haste Cap[/size] +5% Spell Haste Raid Buff wow_icon_spell_shaman_elementaloath.jpg Ancestral Swiftness[/size] Goblin? Haste Rating Needed NO NO NO 12749 NO NO YES 12202 NO YES NO 10118 NO YES YES 9597 YES NO NO 10118 YES NO YES 9597 YES YES NO 7613 YES YES YES 7116 2.2.4. 33.29% Soft Haste Cap[/size]

Thanks for spotting this! It is fixed now.

+5% Spell Haste Raid Buff wow_icon_spell_shaman_elementaloath.jpg Ancestral Swiftness[/size] Goblin? Haste Rating Needed NO NO NO 14148 NO NO YES 13587 NO YES NO 11451 NO YES YES 9597 YES NO NO 11451 YES NO YES 10917 YES YES NO 8882 YES YES YES 8373

Guest Opasense

On top of the BIS Part you write about t16 2p bonus to go for, but the link is about t16 4p bonus when you point on it. Should I now go for all 4 Set Pices instead of two and for example warforged gear? Especialle when its lfr set pieces?

Or in other words, is a t16 4p (2x 561, 2x 536) bonus better than t16 2p (561, 536) and two warforged items (2x567)?

On top of the BIS Part you write about t16 2p bonus to go for, but the link is about t16 4p bonus when you point on it. Should I now go for all 4 Set Pices instead of two and for example warforged gear? Especialle when its lfr set pieces?

Or in other words, is a t16 4p (2x 561, 2x 536) bonus better than t16 2p (561, 536) and two warforged items (2x567)?

Difficult question. This actually varies fight to fight, and we have further discussion in the Shaman section of the forums. If you want advice for your specific case it's best to post there and we can get a proper discussion going :)

Guest Kozmoe of Apex

"wow_icon_spell_shaman_spiritwalkersgraceSpiritwalker's Grace is not a healing cooldown per se, but it will be useful in movement-heavy encounters. This ability should be used when you need to move and heal at the same time. You can also use it to cast wow_icon_spell_nature_lightning.jpgLightning Bolt"

Shouldnt this be updated since lightning bolt is castable while running pr. default?

Sign in to follow this