FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Azrogol

Choices at my Ilvl

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Gottlos/advanced (ignore roiling blood, I just switched from Unholy)

So since I started playing again on Monday after a year and a half hiatus, I jumped from 473 to 514 Ilvl, and I've been switching back and forth between Frost and Unholy to see what I should stick with. I can actually manage to pull okay numbers on AoE on both specs, surprisingly, with Unholy slightly ahead; but single target, both kinda seem to suck, mostly (I'm guessing) because of my SHITTY WEAPON + other lower ilvl gear. Is there a a spec you would take over the other at this point?

All DK dps specs are close enough right now that you can pretty much just play whatever you're comfortable with. You should be able to do about 100k dps single target with your ilvl in any spec.

Perfect. That's so reassuring. I ran SimCraft (i didn't tweak anything so it could've been wrong) and said I should be pulling 139k single target, iirc, and I do ~120k or so. I'm guessing there's really nothing else I can do until I get more gear?

Gear is definitely going to be the biggest thing holding you back right now. Your ilvl is low, but 120k dps is better than plenty of dps I've run flex with in the past. Unfortunately though, a lot of people won't even give you a chance unless you're like 535+ ilvl. 

I'm just looking at your gear and I'm actually expecting you to be a decently good raider just cause of X things I would how ever suggest going unholy blight over roiling blood do to when u use roiling it resets your dot snap shots (like when you blood boil) giving your snap shot worse, and I'd also suggest AMS glyph/gorefiends/bloodtap/the stun over deaths advance for a majority of fights. As far as gearing up without a friend you can't get much other then lfr and BoEs cause bad players make it harder for other to get into things such as flex etc cause everyone assumes 80% of 520 ilvls can't pull enough dps to down this so now everyone even if some can do more then enough dps to or healing or survivability must be 530-540 for flex which is kinda insane to me considering i've done the first 8 normals with a full raid group for 520-530 (this is as soon as the patch hit for SoO and me and my guild from normal/heroic tot came in and got the first 8 bosses in like 3-5 weeks i believe i can't remember) but yeah tbh if you ever need some help feel free to post here Storm and I always try to reply as well as a few others!

Also if you wanna gear up I don't mind helping a fellow DK out add me on b-tag Tain#1729 I can probably get you into a flex or two with my main/alts/guild alt runs biggrin.png! I won't be on much Saturday 24th 

Also as far as spec goes I'd say unholy, I've found it to be much more fun you can put frost as off spec since 2h frost and unholy have same stat priority 

Sorry this is all kinda 1 run on sentence :| 

Edited by Drtain

Yeah, I actually definitely need to change out Roiling Blood, I thought of it while I was doing some dungeons last night. I know UB is really convenient, is PL too much too manage, or is it a substantial dps gain? And I'll try something other than Death's Advance and see how it goes, I figured since it's LFR it's easy enough that I can take the movement speed, but I should get into the habit of going the extra mile to help the raid. Unholy is great! I never knew just how hard dots tick. Is the playstyle still Festerblight, essentially?

Yeah, I actually definitely need to change out Roiling Blood, I thought of it while I was doing some dungeons last night. I know UB is really convenient, is PL too much too manage, or is it a substantial dps gain? And I'll try something other than Death's Advance and see how it goes, I figured since it's LFR it's easy enough that I can take the movement speed, but I should get into the habit of going the extra mile to help the raid. Unholy is great! I never knew just how hard dots tick. Is the playstyle still Festerblight, essentially?

Nah, the Festerblight build got killed in 5.4, iirc.  The strength available on trinkets isn't high enough to snapshot strong enough DoTs to maintain the same DPS using the half-rotation required to keep them rolling 100%.

(Source)

So then at the pull, should I still be trying to get the max amount of buffs/procs to my diseases and just let them naturally fall off, then apply/reapply as i get procs, as opposed to festering solely to prolong the initial dots?

You can still snapshot your dots as you go along, you'll just have to use your best judgement for letting them reach 3 sec (or expire) before reapplying.

DoT strength matters, but not enough to make the purely Fester-extend rotation matter.

Never said anything about purely festering but you can still keep good dots rolling just with your normal rotation for a good min to maybe a min and a half assuming theres no transition phase but keeping your beginning dots which are most likely your strongest dots you will possibly get for as long as you can without actually changing your rotation is smart i mean if your dots have 10 seconds on them and you have a trinket proc but your runes line up so your going to do double festering you should double fester over reapplying them unless you have a dobule trinket +weapon enchant+pot +racial/tailoring cape proc i'm not saying you should festerblight as your main rotation but if you have the choice of pestilence or blood boil with roiling blood and you still have good dots on the boss you should pestilence cause blood boiling would kill your good dots with gaining a i'll say at best a 50k hit from blood boil which getting terrible dots compared to best dots possible will easily add up to be 50k each tick

Edited by Drtain

Never mind about my post above i misread some stuff and yeah lol i can't get rid of the post and it's not letting me edit it for some reason.